New! Dark mode!

Browsing Pinside at night? Getting tired of all the white? Switch to dark mode using the button in the top right (or CTRL-B)!

(Topic ID: 149530)

Melody kickout hole weak

By 1974DeltaQueen

4 years ago

Topic Stats

• 20 posts
  • 9 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 4 years ago by jrpinball
  • No one calls this topic a favorite

You

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

There have been 9 images uploaded to this topic. (View topic image gallery).

image_(resized).jpg
image_(resized).jpg
image_(resized).jpg
image_(resized).jpg
image_(resized).jpg
image_(resized).jpg
image_(resized).jpg
image_(resized).jpg
image_(resized).jpg

#1 4 years ago

Bought a melody a bit back game sat for years judging by the overall appearance . the third (yellow ) kickout hole fails to eject the ball to the right or green kickout hole more often than not. First few games it's ok but by game 3/4 the ball gets stuck most of the time, ruining the fun of playing this cool game. Initially the ball barely kicked at all in any of the connected holes. I cleaned the gum off the plunger and the mechanical kicker assembly. Only 2 things left are the coil or the sleeve . The reason for the post to see if there is a problematic area to check for in the triple kicker assembly.

#2 4 years ago

is it kicking the ball BUT missing the next hole? or is it just kicking the ball but without enough force to make it to the next hole.
if not making it to the next hole - bend the kicking arm just a bit to redirect in the right direction,
if just weak - clean the switches on the circuit and adjust the EOS switch so it stays closed to the very end of the stroke

#3 4 years ago

Yes not enough power so I'll clean the EOS switch . Missing the next hole only because it stays stuck in hole #3. I will still put a new coil sleeve in, can't hurt .

Thanks for the tip much appreciated . See ya in Allentown I'll be the guy in the Steeler's hat.

#4 4 years ago

EOS switch cleaned ball still come out weakly but does eject more often than not, that's an improvement. Will update when I change the coil sleeve

#5 4 years ago

There is a good chance the linkage is shot....that is the long bar that connects the coil to the kickout arms. The square holes get rounded out and everything is weak and sloppy. I made some of these years ago; I *might* have one or two left if that's the problem.

#6 4 years ago
Quoted from JoeGrenuk:

There is a good chance the linkage is shot....that is the long bar that connects the coil to the kickout arms. The square holes get rounded out and everything is weak and sloppy. I made some of these years ago; I *might* have one or two left if that's the problem.

I still have my spare

#7 4 years ago

Ok Joe thanks. Just sold the Lucky Hand you sold me in 2012, really enjoyed it and it still
Played nice from your shop job .

#8 4 years ago

Heck, just high tap it, and be done with it!
PS- Sorry about the Steelers.

#9 4 years ago

My Melody had the same problem with the same kickout hole no less. I had to do alot of adjusting as far as slightly tweaking the bend in the kicker arm, as well as a slight length adjustment to the long bar that drives all 3 kicker arms. I believe I slightly moved the coil that drives the bar so that the bar had an ever so slightly longer stroke. I also experimented with differing strength springs on that 3rd kicker assembly as well. Lots of trial and error to get it working solid.

#11 4 years ago

Seven days make a hole weak.

2 weeks later
#12 4 years ago
Quoted from JoeGrenuk:

I *might* have one or two left if that's the problem.

I just picked up a Melody that has a pretty worn bar. I'd be interested in one of your repro's if you have any left.

#13 4 years ago

Either of you Melody owners have a schematic you would be willing to copy and post?

#14 4 years ago

I don't think so, but I'll check when I get home tonight.

#15 4 years ago

I fixed my issue with the kickout holes works fine. This game sat for 5? Years so you have to play it again and again to get it loosened up .

Not home right now but I can post schematic pics later on . PBR sells copies for 20$ if you want a hard copy .

#16 4 years ago

Schematic pics

image_(resized).jpg

image_(resized).jpg

image_(resized).jpg

image_(resized).jpg

#17 4 years ago

More schematic pics

image_(resized).jpg

image_(resized).jpg

image_(resized).jpg

image_(resized).jpg

image_(resized).jpg

#18 4 years ago

Thanks Delta! and yup, you gotta play EM's to keep them loose.

#19 4 years ago

You're welcome. By any chance can you snap a pic of the lower cabinet relay row, right side as a few of my designation stickers fell off the relay

#20 4 years ago

Nice looking schematic there, chiefie!

Promoted items from the Pinside Marketplace
Apparel - Men
Pinside Shop
$ 7.95
Apparel - Unisex
Pinball Wheezer
$ 65.00
Cabinet - Armor And Blades
Texas Pinball
Cabinet - Toppers
Full Tilt Pinball LEDs
$ 159.00
$ 4.49
Electronics
Yorktown Arcade Supply
$ 149.99
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lighted Pinball Mods
$ 29.99
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Full Tilt Pinball LEDs
$ 999.00
Pinball Machine
Mircoplayfields
$ 209.99
$ 65.00
Playfield - Plastics
Ramp-O-Matic
$ 69.99
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lighted Pinball Mods
$ 29.00
$ 5,999.00
Pinball Machine
Classic Game Rooms
$ 8.50
Playfield - Decals
Pinball Haus
$ 29.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ULEKstore
$ 45.00
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
LightAndTimeArt
$ 5,899.00
Pinball Machine
Little Shop Of Games
$ 89.99
Lighting - Led
Lighted Pinball Mods
$ 29.50
Playfield - Plastics
Pinball Haus
$ 49.99
$ 5,899.00
Pinball Machine
Classic Game Rooms
$ 1,000.00
$ 4.49
Electronics
Yorktown Arcade Supply
$ 79.99
Cabinet - Armor And Blades
PinGraffix Pinside Shop
$ 159.00
$ 259.99
Cabinet - Toppers
Lighted Pinball Mods
Playfield - Decals
Pinball Mod Co.

Hey there! Got a moment?

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run thanks to donations from our visitors? Please donate to Pinside, support the site and get anext to your username to show for it! Donate to Pinside