View topic image gallery

Final Wax (resized).jpg
51hoyKcSCaL (resized).jpg
21d9b56af2c4a19ded68dae60e5a3e11 (resized).jpg
P1170161 (resized).JPG
P1170156 (resized).JPG
P1170157 (resized).JPG

#1 7 years ago

Oops typo in thread name..anyway I was looking for Mother's Carnuba Pure and couldn't find it locally but spotted this one on the shelf. Meguiars Carnuba Wax.. I knew I wanted Carnuba and I knew I wanted a paste without a cleaner. I'm not affiliated with the company in any way (just to be clear) I'm just sharing my experience using this wax I picked up today. Buy it, don't buy it I don't care .

After using it I am pretty impressed with the results. I started with Novus #2 and then did a double wax on the playfield. I don't know but I don't remember it being this shiny, pretty impressive for a 23 year old play-field.

I have to say I was a little nervous about the plus part of the product which is "protecting polymers" but I convinced myself that it should do more good than it would harm (unless someone educates me otherwise). I cannot really say for sure if the "protecting polymers" will protect the playfield better than pure wax (snake oil??!?) but I guess time will tell.. It was over $22 for this wax it should do something magical lol.

Anyway, this is a 1994 Williams Demolition Man I've been shopping. Sharing some pics of the nice reflections I'm getting in the play-field.

P1170157 (resized).JPGP1170157 (resized).JPG
P1170156 (resized).JPGP1170156 (resized).JPG
P1170161 (resized).JPGP1170161 (resized).JPG

#2 7 years ago

Good stuff, I use it as well since it's available right down the street. Most pure or near-pure carnauba paste waxes should give similar results. Same stuff I use on my cars.

Ask for meg-yoo-lars by name (it's Meguiar's

#3 7 years ago

$22?! It's $9 at the Walmart near me... It's what I use too. Only problem is you get a lot of white powder showing up if you don't clean and vacuum well after.

#4 7 years ago
Quoted from zacaj:

$22?! It's $9 at the Walmart near me... It's what I use too. Only problem is you get a lot of white powder showing up if you don't clean and vacuum well after.

This means you are using too much wax. I don't get any white powder or excessive residue with this product.

#5 7 years ago
Quoted from snakesnsparklers:

This means you are using too much wax. I don't get any white powder or excessive residue with this product.

I've never been the best waxer (nowhere I can find that actually goes over waxing technique, even the video tutorials from the manufacturers just go "on put it on and wait for it to have a bit") but I don't really know how I could get it on much thinner...

I've used the same technique with P21s and Blitz and not had the dust, but I was never satisfied with the results. Maybe they're just thinner

#6 7 years ago

I also do not see any dust at all. I was always told that to "wax" one must use small circular motions while firmly (but not hard) pressing. I guess it's the universal instructions that are known but not written anywhere except in the Karate Kid movie from the 80's (anyone remember any pins in those huts?!?).

There could be a Mythbusters episode showing how straight lines are better for all I know (lol) but I'm pretty sure small firm circles with a very light coating is the way to go. 3 light coatings are always better than one heavy coat.

Wax on, Wax off

This could also be the secret technique.. Shh!

21d9b56af2c4a19ded68dae60e5a3e11 (resized).jpg21d9b56af2c4a19ded68dae60e5a3e11 (resized).jpg

#7 7 years ago

Meguiar's

#8 7 years ago
Quoted from Laithan:

I also do not see any dust at all. I was always told that to "wax" one must use small circular motions while firmly (but not hard) pressing. I guess it's the universal instructions that are known but not written anywhere except in the Karate Kid movie from the 80's (anyone remember any pins in those huts?!?).
There could be a Mythbusters episode showing how straight lines are better for all I know (lol) but I'm pretty sure small firm circles with a very light coating is the way to go. 3 light coatings are always better than one heavy coat.
Wax on, Wax off
This could also be the secret technique.. Shh!

See, everyone says things like 'small, firm circles' but they never tell me how many inches a small circle is. They say, get some wax on the pad, but never tell me how much that is. I understand some of that is hard to convey, but...

#9 7 years ago

If you want to go "high end" without spending a fortune on wax, most long time collectors start with this:

51hoyKcSCaL (resized).jpg51hoyKcSCaL (resized).jpg

And then finish using this:

Final Wax (resized).jpgFinal Wax (resized).jpg

Cleaning via wax is conducted using a terry cloth, after initial cleaning with whatever you have to use to get the baseline (Novus #2, Diluted Simple Green, etc).
A perfect shine is accomplished by initially using chamois for hand buffing, and then a 2" sheepskin head drill bit polisher head on a cordless power drill with variable speed.
Normally a total of three coats is all the is required.
One cleaner coat, and two finish coats.
Your final coat with the power drill is going to take the longest, anywhere from 2-10 hours, if are you hardcore.
This ensures complete protection, so you do not miss sections.
Wait for a minimum for 1-2 hours before buffing for proper hardness, it makes a difference.
Buffing should not be rushed.

Keeping in mind that these products are optimal for clear coated PFs only, not necessarily lacquered or "tuff coat" older PFs.
These waxes are not optimal for use on metal parts, but can be used to keep speed on ramps and metal parts after cleaning.
Overuse is not recommended.

#10 7 years ago

http://www.onegrand.com/

Isn't this the stuff? Not available at Walmart but works great on my tom.

I kind of gravitate to the established best. I know it's opinion.

#11 7 years ago
Quoted from zacaj:

Costs 24 Euro at Halfords here in The Netherlands, but ... great product like the OP said

#12 7 years ago

I actually went back and applied a 3rd coat of wax... Is this overkill? Should I apply more? I saw someone recommend 3 coats of wax so I did it. I can't visually tell a difference but would it really add more protection (the protection stacks?!?)?

#13 7 years ago
Quoted from Laithan:

I actually went back and applied a 3rd coat of wax... Is this overkill? Should I apply more? I saw someone recommend 3 coats of wax so I did it. I can't visually tell a difference but would it really add more protection (the protection stacks?!?)?

Overkill, can't wax wax

#14 7 years ago
Quoted from PinRob:

Overkill, can't wax wax

#15 7 years ago

Yeah I got the same stuff from O'Reilly's and since I get $5 off $20 all the time because I'm a rewards member (handy for oil changes) I got a tin for $15. Doesn't really matter what you get as long as you follow vids guide, you should be good. Also Nicks guide to applying wax in tight areas with his fingers, was something I had not thought of:

My dad is a fan of triple waxing for some odd reason. You don't build-up layers, it's just a single layer. Any subsequent layers you are just wiping off. I mean sure you may wax some spots you missed but other than that you're just wasting time and money.

#16 7 years ago

I actually had watched that same video. I liked it, good video. The only part I had to disagree with was "I never clean way in the back where I can't reach" I think it's important to get to that area as it will just become a mud pool to track crap back around everywhere else on the play-field. The hardest places to reach usually have the most dirt.

I find that by using a terry cloth with some Novus #2 (or w/e is needed on it) and a long flat-tip screwdriver (wrap with electrical tape to make it softer) works pretty good to gently feed/grab and push/pull the terry cloth in hard to reach spots. I am sure there are lots of neat tricks people have come up with.

Promoted items from the Pinside Marketplace
4,999 (Firm)
Machine - For Sale
Port Charlotte, FL
$ 40.00
Cabinet - Other
Rocket City Pinball
Other
$ 5.00
Playfield - Protection
UpKick Pinball
Protection
Playfield - Other
Rocket City Pinball
Other
$ 12.00
Tools
Nezzy's Pinball Prints
Tools
$ 18.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ULEKstore
Toys/Add-ons
4,850 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Lee's Summit, MO
Boards
PinSound
Boards
$ 54.95
Eproms
Pinballrom
Eproms
Cabinet - Sound/Speakers
PinSound
Sound/Speakers
Eproms
Matt's Basement Arcade
Eproms
$ 11.95
Playfield - Other
Rocket City Pinball
Other
$ 39.00
Cabinet - Other
Arcade Upkeep
Other
$ 72.95
Eproms
Pinballrom
Eproms
$ 35.95
Lighting - Led
Mitchell Lighting
Led
$ 285.99
Cabinet - Other
PinSound
Other
$ 30.00
Playfield - Other
YouBentMyWookie
Other
$ 35.00
Cabinet - Other
Rocket City Pinball
Other
$ 18.00
Playfield - Protection
Volcano Pinball
Protection
$ 39.99
Lighting - Led
Mitchell Lighting
Led
$ 9.95
Eproms
Pinballrom
Eproms
Playfield - Other
Arcade Upkeep
Other
$ 15.00
Cabinet - Sound/Speakers
Gweem's Mods
Sound/Speakers
$ 10.00
Playfield - Decals
Metal-Mods
Decals
$ 219.00
Gameroom - Decorations
Lit Frames
Decorations
$ 65.00
Boards
Pinball Haus
Boards
Machine - For Sale
La Porte, TX
Great pinball charity
Pinball Edu

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/megulars-carnuba-plus-wax and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.