1 year ago

Topic Stats

• 13 posts
  • 8 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 1 year ago by athens95
  • Topic is favorited by 2 Pinsiders

You

Topic Gallery

One image has been uploaded to this topic. (View topic image gallery).

Key (resized).JPG

#1 1 year ago

So I picked up a Megatouch Aurora over the weekend at Pinfest and have a few questions. It has the 2013 software, but wondering about the security key. I've been reading that some machines have a battery in the security key that is only designed to last for ~10 years. Apparently it isn't replaceable and since the company doesn't support Megatouch anymore, you're screwed when it dies.

I see someone found a way to "hack" the key based on the abandon-ware laws, but it doesn't appear to be available / applicable to my Aurora. Unless the Aurora doesn't rely on a battery powered key?

The article I found lists the "Force" as applicable to the hack.

Anyone know what this thing is on the side? The lock to open up the back is on the other side, so I'm not sure what this is for. Sorry about the picture quality, but I had to crop it out of another picture I have of the game.

Key (resized).JPG

#2 1 year ago
Quoted from Spyderturbo007:

Anyone know what this thing is on the side? The lock to open up the back is on the other side, so I'm not sure what this is for.

It's for the operator and player keys. The machines originally came with a couple security keys that operators can use to easily access the menus. They were also handed out to customers so they could log into their Merit players account. The keys look like the old Force security keys but are red.

#3 1 year ago

There is a battery on the Motherboard. Coin cell style 2032. These will die and when they do the game won’t boot.
Don’t confuse this with the security key that kinda looks like a battery but is on a satellite board.
These motherboard batteries will take you well over an hour to get to. Lots of stuff has to come off. You will also have to know how to restart an older motherboard with the power on jumper and reset the bios settings once running.
Not aware of an ION unlocked hard drive. Some for older Megatouch machibes. You can only get up to 2014 software for your machine. So almost the newest.

#4 1 year ago

Umm, I have a 2011 Megatouch Aurora that I bought NIB; it still plays perfectly; never had to switch a 2032 battery on it. I did do the RAM upgrade and software upgrade to 2014; that was the last one they did before shutting their doors. There was a key fob swap that I did at that time that was tied to the security of the system; but I have never heard of a 2032 on the motherboard; that doesn't make any sense; as all the save data is on the HDD.

#5 1 year ago

I have a ton of megatouch machines(30+),Mostly maxx era,A few slims and a few radions all in various states of disrepair located in klamath falls oregon.For sale,Trade,Make offer.If I continue to get no interest I will pull the mars bill acceptors and throw them away by the end of this summer,Clock is ticking guys!

#6 1 year ago
Quoted from athens95:

There is a battery on the Motherboard. Coin cell style 2032. These will die and when they do the game won’t boot.
Don’t confuse this with the security key that kinda looks like a battery but is on a satellite board.

I'm familiar with a 2032 on a motherboard, but have never heard of one causing a system not to boot. Only causing issues with BIOS settings being reset along with the system time.

I'm referring to the security key on the menu board.

https://datasheets.maximintegrated.com/en/ds/DS1995.pdf

I'm thinking mine might have the battery.

Quoted from sanctumwear:

It's for the operator and player keys. The machines originally came with a couple security keys that operators can use to easily access the menus. They were also handed out to customers so they could log into their Merit players account. The keys look like the old Force security keys but are red.

Thanks. Do you know if they were married to the game, or if I could pick one up from eBay or something? It would be easier than ripping off the back and messing with the menu buttons if I wanted to change the volume or turn off the erotic portion when I have company.

#7 1 year ago

You can also do a 4, 7 clear via the dip switches. Turn on number s 4 and 7 all othets off.

#8 1 year ago
Quoted from Brian541:

I have a ton of megatouch machines(30+),Mostly maxx era,A few slims and a few radions all in various states of disrepair located in klamath falls oregon.For sale,Trade,Make offer.If I continue to get no interest I will pull the mars bill acceptors and throw them away by the end of this summer,Clock is ticking guys!

I might have to touch base with you very soon. I have a couple of Maxx Jades that might need parts. I will have to check.

#9 1 year ago
Quoted from dsmoke1986:

I have never heard of a 2032 on the motherboard; that doesn't make any sense; as all the save data is on the HDD.

athens95 is correct that there's a 2032 on all the Force and Ion MOBOs. The battery will die and can corrupt BIOS settings so the machine won't boot. Then you will need to hook up a keyboard to access BIOS and reset back to normal.

Quoted from Spyderturbo007:

Thanks. Do you know if they were married to the game, or if I could pick one up from eBay or something?

They are not married so any key will work on your machine.

#10 1 year ago

The red ones work for both the player and op.
ebay.com link

#11 1 year ago

When that battery dies on the motherboard, the game will not boot. I should have written down the instructions at the time but I had to jump start my motherboard after replacing this battery. I got help from the merit tech support but they probably no longer have this. I have an ion fusion upright so it was pretty easy to get to the battery on that model.

#12 1 year ago

I also had a non working power supply on mine so not sure if it was the combination of the bad battery and power supply that necessitated the jump start or just the bad battery.

#13 1 year ago

If the game is running I would not mess with the battery. Just know that one day you will turn the machine on and it will not boot. This will either be from the battery being dead, or the entire motherboard being dead.

Some of the older Megatouch machibes will semi boot and give you an error that tells you to hit F1 on a keyboard. The Auroras will not do this. Just a blank screen telling you no signal input.

The non recommended way to “jumpstart” the motherboard is to short the green power supply wire with any ground. If done incorrectly you will toast your motherboard and can not be fixed after that. You really need to start these by jumpering the pins that would normally be hard wired to a PC on off switch. That is not on the Megatouch machibes

When the motherboard goes sometimes you can recap them to get more life. If you recap and it doesn’t fix you pull the DBA and throw the rest away.

Promoted items from the Pinside Marketplace
$ 15.00
Electronics
Third Coast Pinball
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ULEKstore
$ 46.95
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Super Skill Shot Shop
Boards
PCB Emporium
$ 129.00
Displays
Pappy's Pinball Palace
$ 69.00
Apparel - Unisex
ArcadeMade
$ 39.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lermods
$ 90.00
Lighting - Under Cabinet
Rock Custom Pinball
$ 209.99
$ 149.00
$ 48.00
Cabinet - Other
ModFather Pinball Mods
Eproms
Matt's Basement Arcade
$ 22.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ModFather Pinball Mods
$ 26.95
$ 999.00
Pinball Machine
Mircoplayfields
$ 229.99
$ 29.99
Eproms
Matt's Basement Arcade
$ 229.99
Lighting - Other
Lighted Pinball Mods
$ 14.00
Electronics
Yorktown Parts and Equip
$ 86.95
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Super Skill Shot Shop
$ 29.99
Cabinet - Sound/Speakers
Lighted Pinball Mods
$ 999.00
Flipper Parts
Mircoplayfields

Hey there! Got a moment?

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run thanks to donations from our visitors? Please donate to Pinside, support the site and get anext to your username to show for it! Donate to Pinside