1 year ago

Topic Stats

• 16 posts
  • 6 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 3 months ago by MJW
  • Topic is favorited by 2 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic Gallery

There have been 3 images uploaded to this topic. (View topic image gallery).

image (resized).jpg
    image (resized).jpg
    9B604AED-CA3B-4791-A573-E12E8AB22789 (resized).jpeg

#1 1 year ago

Hey all, hoping someone could provide some help. I REALLY want to get my megatouch working again. If anyone could offer advice on how to get it running, I would really appreciate it. I'd be happy to pay for repair if someone is local to me that can swing by, or I could bring it to.

Model: MegaTouch ION 2008 (gray machine, 15 inch screen I think, joystick controls in front)
    Here's the issue: I flip on the machine, no fans spinning (either system fans or PSU fans), the bill acceptor spins and makes noise for a second, completes it's cycle, and then the green light flashes on the bill acceptor, and that's all. Blank screen, no other nosies, nothing is happening. Motherboard doesn't have any swelling caps, it's not posting at all, psu fan still isn't turning (which would lead me to dead psu, but why is bill acceptor powered?).

Can anyone assist me, either over the forum, or if in the area? I tried to search online, read about touching the pins on the mobo to get it to power on, but touching pins doesn't seem to do anything. Maybe I'm doing it wrong, but I know a few years ago I had to do this to jump start it and it seemed rather easy and started up.

It's been 3 years since I've gotten this thing to work probably, and would love to use it again. Thanks all for reading.

#2 1 year ago

ok, some progress! I attached a wire to the green wire coming out of the PSU and touched ground and got it to light up, but it won't stay on. As soon as I break that connection, it shuts back off. Any thoughts why I won't stay on?

I saw that if CMOS battery dies, it loses it's setting to auto on when you flip the switch, so I get I need to jumpstart it, and reset the BIOS settings back to Auto On. But now I can't get the thing to stay on.

#3 1 year ago

Ok, more progress. I was jumping the wrong pins. I now can jump (the correct pins) and get the thing started, however screen is blinking stating "No Input Signal, Check connection". Well, connection is good. Tried to just hook up a regular monitor with a different VGA cable, and not getting anything.

So that's where I am now. Figured I'd keep posting my progress, hoping someone jumps in and saves the day. I will keep researching, but really shooting blind right now. Praying it's not a bad mobo, and don't want to pull the trigger on a new mobo without knowing 100%.

#4 1 year ago

More! I reseated the memory and connectors, and got it to go to the BIOS, and got the game to load! Sweet! Still trying to find the setting I need so it knows to power on when you flip the switch. Last piece of this puzzle, guess I'm just getting lucky today.

#5 1 year ago

Did you change the battery?

#6 1 year ago

Done! Game is back up and running. When I troubleshot this a while back I did try changing the batteries. I guess I never put in enough effort to go all the way with it (the battery in it was actually fine after testing it with a volt meter). I forgot which pins I needed to touch, and the connector that goes to those pins was disconnected. Once I found the correct pins, reseated the connectors and memory, got it turned on and reset the BIOS settings to be able to power the unit on with the power switch, all is well now. Checked the high score dates, and the last time it was played was Nov 2013, so it's been awhile. There was a move from NJ to TX in there as well, so never really bothered to troubleshoot too in depth. Glad it's working now. Turned it off, and back on, and boots just fine. Cool.

1 year later
    #8 3 months ago

I have the same model with the exact same issue, turn power on and all I get is the dollar bill acceptor making noise and then the green light in the the DBA. Looks like there is no battery in the machine. Would like to try the pins trick to jump start it but have no idea what pins to touch. This is a picture of the inside of machine. Any idvice would’ve appreciated!

9B604AED-CA3B-4791-A573-E12E8AB22789 (resized).jpeg
    #9 3 months ago

I have a similar model that I bought at Ohio pinball show. Works .. Don't know much about it. Didn't even know it had a battery.

image (resized).jpg
    #10 3 months ago
    Quoted from eharan:

I have the same model with the exact same issue, turn power on and all I get is the dollar bill acceptor making noise and then the green light in the the DBA. Looks like there is no battery in the machine. Would like to try the pins trick to jump start it but have no idea what pins to touch. This is a picture of the inside of machine. Any idvice would’ve appreciated!
    [quoted image]

Did some research online and it appears when the security key battery dies on these machines they no longer function. Some guy posted a work around to get system working but way over. My head. That really sucks.

#11 3 months ago

Take the green wire from power supply strip some insulation off it, don't cut it, take the bare wire and touch to metal of cabinet. Should cause power supply to turn on and the computer. If nothing comes on maybe bad power supply.

#12 3 months ago

Did more research and confirmed these units will not operate once security key battery dies due to encryption. There is a guy who posted free hack info on you tube to put encryption on hard drive for games with 2011 software only. He also sells the service on ebay for $125 for people without the skill to hack. Without this upgrade these machines will not work once the security key battery dies. Wish. Would have know this when I bought my unit.

#13 3 months ago
    Quoted from MJW:

Did more research and confirmed these units will not operate once security key battery dies due to encryption. There is a guy who posted free hack info on you tube to put encryption on hard drive for games with 2011 software only. He also sells the service on ebay for $125 for people without the skill to hack. Without this upgrade these machines will not work once the security key battery dies. Wish. Would have know this when I bought my unit.

I didn't know this either when I bought mine. I have the 2013 Aurora version and unfortunately there isn't a hack for that version. When mine goes, I'm completely screwed from what I've read.

#14 3 months ago

I'm going to bite the bullet and do the $125 hard drive upgrade. I only paid $300 for the unit so I'm not in too deep.

2 weeks later
    #15 3 months ago

New hard drive boots faster,more responsive and security key not connected with battery life. Did have a problem where machine constantly beeps and picture of magnifying glass. No boot. Fix was to reseat the two sticks of ram on right side of the motherboard. Got hard drive from arcade cabinets .com. Hope this helps somebody.

#16 3 months ago

image (resized).jpg
    Promoted items from the Pinside Marketplace
    $ 7,199.00
    Pinball Machine
    Flip N Out Pinball
    € 3.95
    Flipper Parts
    Multigame
    $ 69.99
    Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
    Lighted Pinball Mods
    Eproms
    Matt's Basement Arcade
    $ 159.99
    Lighting - Other
    Lighted Pinball Mods
    $ 49.99
    Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
    Lighted Pinball Mods
    $ 12.99
    Cabinet - Decals
    Bent Mods
    $ 48.00
    Cabinet - Other
    ModFather Pinball Mods
    $ 86.95
    Cabinet - Shooter Rods
    Super Skill Shot Shop
    $ 63.00
    Playfield - Protection
    Bright Lights Pinball
    Various Other Swag
    Shoot Again Pinball
    $ 229.99
    $ 30.00
    Playfield - Decals
    Metal-Mods
    Gameroom - Decorations
    Pinball Photos
    $ 200.00
    Lighting - Interactive
    Professor Pinball
    $ 29.99
    Cabinet - Sound/Speakers
    Lighted Pinball Mods
    Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
    ModFather Pinball Mods
    $ 6,995.00
    Pinball Machine
    Flip N Out Pinball
    Apparel - Unisex
    Pinball Wheezer
    $ 38.00
    Playfield - Other
    ModFather Pinball Mods
    $ 800.00
    Playfields
    Pinball Playfields
    $ 12.00

Hey there! Got a moment?

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run thanks to donations from our visitors? Please donate to Pinside, support the site and get anext to your username to show for it! Donate to Pinside