Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 20 posts
  • 6 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 3 years ago by Pin-up
  • Topic is favorited by 3 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

2BB8FC37-0CF2-4E8C-8674-82A527C1FD95 (resized).png
    20200418_184235 (resized).jpg
    20200418_184805 (resized).jpg
    #1 4 years ago

I have a Megatouch force and it was working reliably for quite a long time and then one day it just stopped powering on. Should I just replace the power supply? I get almost nothing when I turn the machine on except I do see a red LED come on on the CPU.

20200418_184235 (resized).jpg20200418_184235 (resized).jpg20200418_184805 (resized).jpg20200418_184805 (resized).jpg
    #2 4 years ago

Does your bill validator engage. ? Bad capacitors are likely, look for a domed top to them. But , yes the power supply could have ended its use.

Edit :Capacitors on the mother board that is.

#3 4 years ago
    Quoted from chad:

Does your bill validator engage. ? Bad capacitors are likely, look for a domed top to them. But , yes the power supply could have ended its use.
    Edit :Capacitors on the mother board that is.

Thanks for the reply. I don't hear or see anything when I turn it on so I'm guessing that the bill validator does not engage. I don't actually think I even have one actually.

I could remove the motherboard and take a look at the capacitors

#4 4 years ago

It could be a dead battery button cell on the MPU. There is a way to jump start it But I’m not sure what pins they are though. Before you tear into caps etc I’d start simple with the cheap battery.

#5 4 years ago

And if you find it is the battery you will need to connect a keyboard to reset the BIOS to turn on after power loss.

#6 4 years ago
    Quoted from Guzz4851:

And if you find it is the battery you will need to connect a keyboard to reset the BIOS to turn on after power loss.

Okay awesome thanks. I will take a look at that and measure the voltage on the motherboard battery.

#7 4 years ago

You guys rock. Thank you so much for the advice. The battery was completely dead so I happen to have another cr2025 and popped it in and she is booting up and playing. No keyboard necessary either which was a bonus. Going to play some draggle drop for the first time in 8 months LOL

#8 4 years ago

Awesome man! Enjoy your game! Glad you got it working.

#9 4 years ago
    Quoted from Guzz4851:

It could be a dead battery button cell on the MPU. There is a way to jump start it But I’m not sure what pins they are though. Before you tear into caps etc I’d start simple with the cheap battery.

Good call , I had forgotten about the battery.

#10 4 years ago
    Quoted from Guzz4851:

I've read in several places about this "jump start" or "forcing the board to boot", but no one ever posts that direct information. This would be extremely helpful to many people (my self included of course).

If anyone knows how to do this PLEASE post or PM me with the info. I have 3 maxx boards that could use this help. Replaced the battery, power supply voltage is good (even tried a brand new one, changed ram, re-seated cpu, cleaned connectors.... nothing. Monitor powers up, hard drive fires up, bill receptor cycles, but there is no power up beep, which I believe could be an issue with the bios, possibly from a previous dead battery? This jump start/forcing the board to boot sounds like the last resort before you call a board dead and buy a used working one. I'm not sure of the Force, but I know the Maxx are linix based pc. There has got to be some info on how to get these going again.

Strange thing is that I have one machine and 3 boards. At one time all 3 were working, and now none of them work at all. Same issue with all boards after certain amount of time with no play?

#11 4 years ago

I belive it is gray and green wires will jump start it.
    On the power supply connector. I do not recall the position on motherboard.

#12 3 years ago

Just got a working board off of eBay in the mail today. Machine is up and running again. Same HD and key.

It would be great to get the other 3 boards working though. I still don't understand how 3 boards could be working and then all 3 stop working. Strange.

So for the jump start, you just connect the gray and green wires together and fire it up and see if it boots? That's it?

#13 3 years ago

Trouble shooting section in the manual has the power supply pinout. Power supply connector to the board has red (+5), yellow (+12), blue(-12), white(-5), orange(+5 volt power good), black(ground).

Why it labels the orange wire in the manual "+5 volt power good" is a new one to me.

There are 4 quick connect wires on the power supply, but those feed the monitor power, and then there are smaller 4 pin connectors for the hard drive power and a connection to an update "dock" type board.

Not sure about the gray and green connection there.

#14 3 years ago

I’m an amusements operator. At one time we had easily 100 Megatouch games. Take a paper clip and short the green wire of the ATX power supply connector to one of the black ground wires. If the board starts to boot, it’s the board. If still no power, it’s the power supply. Regardless of whether it’s power supply or motherboard, the DBA should always cycle (assuming it has a stacker on it.)

#15 3 years ago
    Quoted from Guzz4851:

Awesome man! Enjoy your game! Glad you got it working.

Thanks! The wife especially loves it. We bought a brand new modern one last year for stupid $$$ because she loved the older one so much but still loves many of the older games that are not on the modern one so she is happy! Best of both worlds now with new and old!

#16 3 years ago
    Quoted from ryanbrooks:

I’m an amusements operator. At one time we had easily 100 Megatouch games. Take a paper clip and short the green wire of the ATX power supply connector to one of the black ground wires. If the board starts to boot, it’s the board. If still no power, it’s the power supply. Regardless of whether it’s power supply or motherboard, the DBA should always cycle (assuming it has a stacker on it.)

My power supply doesn't have a green wire going to the motherboard. Any ideas on that? (listed wire colors and voltages above).

Thanks

#17 3 years ago
    Quoted from Pin-up:

My power supply doesn't have a green wire going to the motherboard. Any ideas on that? (listed wire colors and voltages above).
    Thanks

If it’s a force or ion it will. Some Maxx also. Pre Maxx was an AT power supply. The attached pic is ATX harness

2BB8FC37-0CF2-4E8C-8674-82A527C1FD95 (resized).png2BB8FC37-0CF2-4E8C-8674-82A527C1FD95 (resized).png
    #18 3 years ago

I have an AT power supply in the full stand up cabinet. I believe the ATX power supplies were used with the "unicorn" maxx boards and the AT power supplies are used with the Mitsubishi/Itox boards (which is the one I have). The AT does not have a green wire and only uses 5/12 volts and not 3.3volts.

Maybe one of the jumpers clips on the board would be the "power on" jumper.

5 months later
    #19 3 years ago

Anyone know why my Megatouch 2011 has to reinsert the RAM every so often to get it working?

#20 3 years ago

Anyone know why my Megatouch 2011 has to reinsert the RAM every so often to get it working?</blockquote

possible bad connection? try cleaning up the contacts with an eraser if they are dirty or tarnished?

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/megatouch-force-stopped-powering-up?hl=ryanbrooks and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.