1 year ago

Topic Stats

• 49 posts
  • 19 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 1 year ago by Rush2112
  • Topic is favorited by 7 Pinsiders

You

Topic Gallery

There have been 7 images uploaded to this topic. (View topic image gallery).

IMG_20170928_194141627 (resized).jpg
Megatouch (resized).jpg
006 (resized).JPG
004 (resized).JPG
jvl (resized).png
pasted_image (resized).png
s-l225 (resized).jpg

#1 1 year ago

I was thinking about adding a tabletop Megatouch to the game room. Just wondering if anyone has any advice and when I might expect to pay for a small flat screen unit? Are these a smart addition or are they a headache if they break, when they break?

#2 1 year ago

My advice would be to get an ion fusion. I have had a few versions and ion fusion has the best games. They have the joystick and the buttons for about half of the games although all games work with touch screen as well. I think you can stay in the $500-600 range but it can take awhile to find a flat screen ion fusion. I currently have an ion fusion upright. It was not working when I got it so it was kinda cheap. It needed a new power supply for $30 and then I had to jumper a couple of wires to kick start the motherboard. It had 2008.5 software in it but I upgraded to 2013 at some point. That was easy to do. They are very reliable but there is a guy in rockaway that fixes them and has parts should anything break. I think its a great addition for what you pay compared to pinball machines.

#3 1 year ago

Thanks for the info
Does that version have a snoman snowball fight game and a game where you are throwing monkeys around? We played one with those and my kids thought they were hysterical. That's kinda the reason I started looking at these .

#4 1 year ago

It does have those games. I think its called feeding frosty. There is a lot of great games for kids. There used to be a list on the merit website of the chronology of games but I looked and its no longer there. I might have the file on my computer still but I will have to look later. The last version came out in 2014 and you would think that the latest version would have all the games they ever did but at some point they started eliminating some of the older games.

#5 1 year ago

I've owned a Megatouch Force EvO 2011 and a Megatouch Force Radion 2006.5. My biggest piece of advice is to NOT buy one on eBay or through somebody who does not know how to ship these. I'd almost guarantee it will arrive broken. There are tons of boards, fans, heat sinks and parts which can get banged up during shipping and will be a nightmare to repair if it arrives broken.

On my Megatouch 2006.5, the "Monkey Bash" game is on there, but I don't know about a snowball fight game. There's one called "Feeding Frosty" where you guide a snowball around to make it bigger, or something like that.

Here's a few issues I've had with my Megatouch. At first, the motherboard battery died so it would boot. All I needed to do was change the battery out. Then, the serial port on the motherboard stopped working, so the touchscreen didn't work. That required a motherboard swap with my other Megatouch. Another thing to keep in mind is that the security keys which are required to boot the game are aging and will eventually stop working, rendering the entire system useless unless you have a hacked version of the software to bypass the security key check, which some people are already working on.

All in all, they are tons of fun if you can find them cheap! They're great social games and add some nice variety to my game room.

-Doug

#6 1 year ago

Here's a tip, disconnect the small but LOUD cooling fans inside the cabinet. Damn things are so loud in a home environment and I never had a lick or trouble after disconnecting them.

#7 1 year ago

If you decide to go with an upright, this is the model I have. As you can see it has a small footprint.

s-l225 (resized).jpg

#8 1 year ago

That looks cool, but I have a whiskey barrel sitting in my room as a little table. I was hoping to put something on there, as I am pretty much filled to capacity

#9 1 year ago
Quoted from PoMC:

Here's a tip, disconnect the small but LOUD cooling fans inside the cabinet. Damn things are so loud in a home environment and I never had a lick or trouble after disconnecting them.

The biggest failures in these units are the motherboards and hard drives.... and you are taking away their cooling. And what kills PF hardware better than anything else? Heat

#10 1 year ago
Quoted from yzfguy:

Thanks for the info
Does that version have a snoman snowball fight game and a game where you are throwing monkeys around? We played one with those and my kids thought they were hysterical. That's kinda the reason I started looking at these .

Buy one that is fully functional- don't try to but a project
Don't buy one of the CRT models
These things lived in bars - make sure you can inspect them... it probably smells like an ashtray and they are a pita to de-smoke without an ozone tent
You don't need the latest and greatest... once you get to like 2006 it's just tweaks on which games were included and the system itself functions the same. I don't even know which games use the joysticks on ion hardware.

Usually you see these in raw form for about 500 being in the middle of the range. You can get them cheaper 400 or less in the right deal... but people also try to sell them near 700-1000 for the flashier ones or cleaned up.

I got a working EVO 2007 (or 6? Forget) for 350 "in the raw". Ion cabinets have the joystick while force evo do not.
This page can be helpful to understand the different editions. http://www.davemanut.com/info.htm

There is a competitor to megatouch - JVL which are more fancy LCD looking... but I think these are seen as more risky to break. Megatouch has been cracked for security for those who work on rebuilding these...

#11 1 year ago

Thanks so much, guys

#12 1 year ago
Quoted from flynnibus:

The biggest failures in these units are the motherboards and hard drives.... and you are taking away their cooling. And what kills PF hardware better than anything else? Heat

Like I said, never had a problem and owned several units for many years. I also wasn’t running my Megatouch games nonstop on location. Do whatever you want, but I preferred a quiet system.

#13 1 year ago

I have two kids. If they aren't down there, it means my drunk buddies are down there playing poker..... it's never quiet enough to hear a fan

#14 1 year ago

We Enjoy this very much!

Adult games can be turned on too.

pasted_image (resized).png

#15 1 year ago

JVL HD 3 is great. a bit of$$$$ but we love what it has for games.

jvl (resized).png

#16 1 year ago

I have about 30 of them in stock from 06ish to 2014. Joystick, non joystick. Shipping would be a pain, but maybe ups would take it. 450-700 is about right for average. We also remove the bill acceptors since they are unneeded in the homes.

Call around to a couple local operators as many of them just have them sitting around. Cell phones really killed these cool things.

#17 1 year ago
Quoted from PoMC:

Like I said, never had a problem and owned several units for many years. I also wasn’t running my Megatouch games nonstop on location. Do whatever you want, but I preferred a quiet system.

The better fix is just replacing the worn out fans with new ones. They will be much much quieter.

#18 1 year ago
Quoted from OLDPINGUY:

We Enjoy this very much!
Adult games can be turned on too.

+1 on the JVL Retro. Everyone enjoys it and it has a cool light show!

#19 1 year ago

We have run through many of the entire model makes on the Merit Touchscreen Machines & have had a fantastic time w/ each. From the bulky Sapphire monitor series, to the Force & then the Ion. These units are easily approachable & appeal to everyone w/ game categories that are universally appealing. The Merit is a fantastic way to entertain family & friends, as the attraction of the machine is easily understandable.
But, the JVL Encore is absolutely in class by itself. The 3-D graphics are in you face & the extremely colorful detailed screen display ~ is alive & vivacious, as the games come alive. The game selection is absolutely phenomenal & the selection never gets old. We acquired this machine a year ago & it's glued to the table! With a price range from $800 to rip off zone, contact Columbia Distributing (Baltimore) for great service & very reasonable prices on these gems! Here are some pictures...

004 (resized).JPG

006 (resized).JPG

#20 1 year ago
Quoted from Ockeyhead:

We have run through many of the entire model makes on the Merit Touchscreen Machines & have had a fantastic time w/ each. From the bulky Sapphire monitor series, to the Force & then the Ion. These units are easily approachable & appeal to everyone w/ game categories that are universally appealing. The Merit is a fantastic way to entertain family & friends, as the attraction of the machine is easily understandable.
But, the JVL Encore is absolutely in class by itself. The 3-D graphics are in you face & the extremely colorful detailed screen display ~ is alive & vivacious, as the games come alive. The game selection is absolutely phenomenal & the selection never gets old. We acquired this machine a year ago & it's glued to the table! With a price range from $800 to rip off zone, contact Columbia Distributing (Baltimore) for great service & very reasonable prices on these gems! Here are some pictures...

Damn.... that does look very nice! Haven't reached out to your guy, but a quick search shows them at 2500 bucks

#21 1 year ago
Quoted from flynnibus:

The better fix is just replacing the worn out fans with new ones. They will be much much quieter.

I replaced the fans on mine. The increase in quietness was negligible. The plain and simple fact is: Megatouches run loud

#22 1 year ago

Y'all got them fancy Megatouch games. Mine is a Megatouch IV from 1996 I think, an old CRT version. It's loud but rock solid and I only paid $50 for it. LOL. It would take up your entire table though.

Chris

#23 1 year ago

We acquired the JVL Echo (pictures above) at the York show last year. We purchased this from Charlie Wampler for $900 & worth every penny. Of course, these units are routed & refurbished. Two weeks after purchase, the unit crashed & the screen went blank. Columbia Distribution honored a 90 day warrantee & replaced the capacitors in the LCD board interface for free. I highly recommend Charlie & would easily purchase from him again!

#24 1 year ago

Oy..... The idea of it crashing is what scares me.

#25 1 year ago

Where did you guys order those fans? I can only find two places which are both in China. Mine is an Ion and is louder than I'd like but, I have to say it has been very dependable.

#26 1 year ago

I ordered mine from Cooler Guys... ordered the ultra quiet ones. Honestly, it wasn't worth the time or investment. It's still loud

#27 1 year ago

As everything eventually breaks or fails, there are still parts out there to fix these units. I know Merit went out of business a couple years ago but there are technicians w/ knowhow. On the JVL manual, there is a parts list & specific instructions on how to replace certain parts. The procedures are picture oriented & if you take your time, it's not that hard to replace a power supply. Pinball machines cease to work all the time, but we always find a way to renew or restore back to working order. As the majority here on Pinside absolutely need ~ oxygen, water, food & pinball to exist & survive.

#28 1 year ago
Quoted from RWH:

Where did you guys order those fans? I can only find two places which are both in China. Mine is an Ion and is louder than I'd like but, I have to say it has been very dependable.

microcenter - but just because they are local and have a wide variety of computer components. They are just standard of components. I bought quiet fans and they were significantly better. You might opt out out the fan in the base near the bill validator- but don't on the CPU fan or case fan

#29 1 year ago

I saw this one on craigslist york.craigslist.org link

#30 1 year ago

That's about what I paid for mine...

#31 1 year ago
Quoted from Don44:

I saw this one on craigslist york.craigslist.org link

Thanks, Don

#32 1 year ago
Quoted from flynnibus:

microcenter - but just because they are local and have a wide variety of computer components. They are just standard of components. I bought quiet fans and they were significantly better. You might opt out out the fan in the base near the bill validator- but don't on the CPU fan or case fan

Please do yourselves a favor and never disable or remove any cooling fans on these things guys.I have read several people saying the noise or whatever was bothering them for home play and disconnecting different fans etc.These things are mini ovens,I would much rather live with a little extra fan noise than be buying another motherboard!

#33 1 year ago

Thanks for bump Don44, that's the Merit Ion that I am selling. If anyone is interested, I'll be at the York show this Friday.

#34 1 year ago
Quoted from flynnibus:

We have a Micro Center here as well but, all of their fan stock is either 3pin or 4pin. I have the exact same machine as the one Rush2112 has for sale (comment above). The fan I need is a Sunon Maglev KDE1205PFVX 11.MS.A.GN, it's 12VDC 2.0W and is a 2pin connector. This is the fan up and behind the change slot/return area.

#35 1 year ago
Quoted from RWH:

We have a Micro Center here as well but, all of their fan stock is either 3pin or 4pin. I have the exact same machine as the one Rush2112 has for sale (comment above). The fan I need is a Sunon Maglev KDE1205PFVX 11.MS.A.GN, it's 12VDC 2.0W and is a 2pin connector. This is the fan up and behind the change slot/return area.

Just cut and resolder the wires or get one of the 2-3 pin adaptors if that concerns you. The fans are compatible, the 3rd wire is just what the CPU uses to monitor RPMs in applications that use it. the more important thing is getting the correct size and quality/noise. Don't try to get a direct replacement.. that's taking worn out junk to put in 'yet to be worn out' junk

Same with 4 pin fans... the 4th pin is just speed control. The GND and 12V are all you need.. the others are just extra if the application needs it.

#36 1 year ago

Thx Flynnibus, installed an ultra quiet evercool of the same size and wow what a difference! I'm very happy with the sound now.

#37 1 year ago

I just picked up a Megatouch ION from Kingpin games (Thanks Chris!) and I'm really enjoying it so far! It is loud though and I would like to upgrade to quieter fans. What are you guys recommending for fans on this model?-would you mind sharing part numbers or other info? The loudest is the one above the heatsync on the CPU but I may as well replace all of the fans with quieter units.

Also, has anyone upgraded their Hard drive to SSD and is the performance/speed gain worth it?

thanks!

I included a pic of the inside of my Megatouch for reference

Megatouch (resized).jpg

#38 1 year ago
Quoted from MikeS:

Also, has anyone upgraded their Hard drive to SSD and is the performance/speed gain worth it?

Adding memory will noticeably improve performance. Not sure a HD swap would be worth the effort though. Just make sure you have the memory maxxed out on the motherboard - that old RAM is dirt cheap.

#39 1 year ago
Quoted from PoMC:

Adding memory will noticeably improve performance. Not sure a HD swap would be worth the effort though. Just make sure you have the memory maxxed out on the motherboard - that old RAM is dirt cheap.

Thank you! I do have 512mb of Memory which I read was the max that the system supports. I also ordered some quieter fans to help improve with the decibel level.

Has anyone ever had problems with games freezing up? Whenever I launch either of the Beer Pong games it starts loading and then freezes.-I have to reboot before I can do anything again. I disabled those games in the menu for now. I've also had a few instances where the system wouldn't boot with a D-Sub error which means it's not sending an output to the LCD monitor. If I re-seat the RAM and some of the connectors it seems to solve it. Hopefully it doesn't become a bigger issue in the future. Anyone else experience either of these issues and have any suggestions? thanks!

#40 1 year ago

I have a Megatouch Ion that I upgraded to 2014. This is the last update. I replace the HD with an SSD and it boots and loads games super fast.

The games are great. I have adult games turned on after 11:00pm and the Penthouse versions are great. Some of the new games are good, some not so much but overall, it's a great machine. Yes it runs loud but the only thing you can do is replace the fans with the SilentX fans if you can make them fit. They were meant for bars where there was so much noise no one cared.

#41 1 year ago

I have the last version Megatouch Aurora I picked up from ReplayRyan. Great guy and seems to know his stuff.

#42 1 year ago
Quoted from MikeS:

Has anyone ever had problems with games freezing up? Whenever I launch either of the Beer Pong games it starts loading and then freezes.-I have to reboot before I can do anything again

Its probably something with the motherboard if it freezes up and will only get worse. I don't know how to troubleshoot that but I could refer you to somebody who fixes them. I would let the guy know who you recently purchased it from.

#43 1 year ago
Quoted from MikeS:

What are you guys recommending for fans on this model?-would you mind sharing part numbers or other info?

These are such commodity parts its hard to find constant supply that is cheap and repeatable. Best thing is to match the size based on what you have in hand. I guess if you bought from newegg or similar you might find consistency. I just picked through the stuff in the component area of the store. Unfortunately I don't have the fan sizes anymore. Should be a fan in the base, fan at the top of case above the motherboard.. both these are identical, and the fan on the CPU. Cant remember if the small ones are 40mm or 50mm. Buy based on the connectors if you don't want to solder, the size, and dbA if its listed.

#44 1 year ago
Quoted from flynnibus:

Cant remember if the small ones are 40mm or 50mm

50mmx10mmx10mm

#45 1 year ago
Quoted from RWH:

50mmx10mmx10mm

Thanks! That is the right size for 2 of the 3 fans. I think the CPU cooler fan is a 60mm.

#46 1 year ago
Quoted from Don44:

Its probably something with the motherboard if it freezes up and will only get worse. I don't know how to troubleshoot that but I could refer you to somebody who fixes them. I would let the guy know who you recently purchased it from.

Hopefully that's not the case but if it is I know Kingpin Games will take care of me! Chris is a great distributor and his support is second to none. I know he's got a bunch of Megatouch's in stock (as well as hundred of other games) so if you are looking for something like this for your arcade give him a call. I'm really happy with the Megatouch. It's the perfect game for the home bar in my game room. My 3 year old is also having a ton of fun on it!

IMG_20170928_194141627 (resized).jpg

#47 1 year ago

If it freezes up randomly I suspect motherboard (or ram or CPU)

If it freezes up at the same point every time (like every time you load a particular game) I suspect hard drive

Quoted from Don44:

Its probably something with the motherboard if it freezes up

#48 1 year ago
Quoted from Ockeyhead:

Thanks for bump Don44, that's the Merit Ion that I am selling. If anyone is interested, I'll be at the York show this Friday.

Damn - looked for you but didn't see you.

#49 1 year ago

The Merit Ion was sold privately to another Pinsider at the York Show on Friday. I didn't have this listed in the Market, but my WPT machine was stated in a bundle deal together w/ the Merit.

Promoted items from the Pinside Marketplace
$ 224.99
$ 7,499.00
Pinball Machine
Classic Game Rooms
$ 9.95
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
ModFather Pinball Mods
$ 14.00
Electronics
Yorktown Parts and Equip
$ 99.99
Lighting - Other
Lighted Pinball Mods
Displays
PinballSolutions.eu
$ 229.99
Lighting - Other
Lighted Pinball Mods
$ 20.00
Playfield - Plastics
Bright Lights Pinball
$ 129.00
Lighting - Led
LED OCD
$ 99.99
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lighted Pinball Mods
$ 19.95
$ 137.00
$ 18.99
Eproms
Matt's Basement Arcade
$ 99.99
Lighting - Other
Lighted Pinball Mods
$ 107.95
Lighting - Other
Hookedonpinball.com
$ 44.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lermods
$ 239.99
Lighting - Led
PinballBulbs
Playfield - Plastics
ModFather Pinball Mods
Apparel - Unisex
Pinball Wheezer
$ 76.95
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Super Skill Shot Shop
Apparel - Unisex
Pinball Wheezer
$ 239.00
Cabinet - Toppers
Tilttopper

Hey there! Got a moment?

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run thanks to donations from our visitors? Please donate to Pinside, support the site and get anext to your username to show for it! Donate to Pinside