Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 53 posts
  • 34 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 11 years ago by Deadlander
  • No one calls this topic a favorite

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

PlayPinballHere.gif
    There are 53 posts in this topic. You are on page 1 of 2.
    #1 12 years ago

I'm traveling for work a lot right now and have already met a few pinsiders in 2 cities so far in the past 3 days. I met DarthPinhead in Chicago ( bought his BK project) and just went to Scooters house in Louisville and played a few games on his SM and STTNG. Everyone on this site is great and always have their door open to fellow members.

Has anyone else traveled and played at other members houses?

Btw, I will be traveling to Houston next week will probably be too busy then though

#2 12 years ago

Yes. I played @ tatmans and jarjars. Met several members @ tats and know a few already. You're close enough that I expect you up here at the end of October for my golf/pin bash!

#3 12 years ago

Yes, I've had numerous Pinsiders to visit at my home and play my pins. So far, everyone has been top-notch. My wife thinks I'm nuts for welcoming in so many total strangers. Maybe I need to start a 'screening process'!

If you are traveling in this area, shoot an email to me. I live right on a major corridor from the North to the South, I-65.

The good part about Pinsiders is they usually can't stay long and HAVE to move on in their travels . . . not like some relatives!!!

#4 12 years ago
    Quoted from jtimmons:

I met DarthPinhead in Chicago ( bought his BK project)

Dude, next time you are in Chicago, come visit NickVegas and I. We have 3 pins in our office and work a couple blocks from a bar with 5 others. We would love to have ya.

#5 12 years ago

2 Top notch pinsiders right there!

#6 12 years ago

Moved to All Pinball sub forum. Pinside Talks is for issues with the forum itself. Man, I am racking up the karma with this BS. Wish I had the time to actually answer your questions.

#7 12 years ago
    Quoted from jtimmons:

I met DarthPinhead in Chicago

Haven't seen Darth around in awhile. Good to know he's still out there flippin'!

#8 12 years ago
    Quoted from SealClubber:

Man, I am racking up the karma with this BS.

Not trying to stir the pot, SC. Have you been asked to do this? I know it has to be a pain...Thanks for trying to set the example either way.

#9 12 years ago
    Quoted from SealClubber:

Moved to All Pinball sub forum. Pinside Talks is for issues with the forum itself. Man, I am racking up the karma with this BS. Wish I had the time to actually answer your questions.

Is "Pinside Talk" the first option when posting a new topic? Been awhile since I've started a thread. If so, maybe Robin could change it so it defaults to "All Pinball" instead since that is probably a much more common choice.

#10 12 years ago

If anyone is around Walla Walla, just let me know.

#11 12 years ago

We've got a good group of people here in CT if anyone is passing on through.

#12 12 years ago

The sub forum pinside talk was always what I used for misc stuff...lol guess I should learn to read, but I never paid attention to the descriptions.

TG, may take ya up on that. I'm really hoping to go to the expo this year. Maybe I will "be sick" for 2 weeks in October, so I don't have to work

#13 12 years ago
    Quoted from The_Gorilla:

Have you been asked to do this?

I am a moderator so kinda runs with the job description. Used to be a rare thing. Now it is practically every thread. And it isn't just new people.

Quoted from jarjarisgod:

Is "Pinside Talk" the first option when posting a new topic? Been awhile since I've started a thread. If so, maybe Robin could change it so it defaults to "All Pinball" instead since that is probably a much more common choice.

Yes and Good idea.

#14 12 years ago

Near DC, open door to all. It would be good to meet others here.

#15 12 years ago

I've been to Pintucky's and he's a great host!

#16 12 years ago

my place is always open to pinsiders....

#17 12 years ago

Golf and pinball......will travel, if I get an invite

#18 12 years ago

Ive been to pintuckys and had a blast going later next month hopefully. I still haven't told him yet though. later this week I am going to a new members house 15 mins away. Both have a great collection and I talk to them both often on the phone. Glad to have met them both.

#19 12 years ago

I'm always up to show players around the town and meet fellow players. I guess we have our scene and it's not very conventional. We're sort of a wild bunch. But we always welcome newcomers.

If you really make the grade, we bring you to Berkeley Macs.

#20 12 years ago
    Quoted from jtimmons:

I'm traveling for work a lot right now and have already met a few pinsiders in 2 cities so far in the past 3 days. I met DarthPinhead in Chicago ( bought his BK project) and just went to Scooters house in Louisville and played a few games on his SM and STTNG. Everyone on this site is great and always have their door open to fellow members.

Had a good time JT. You are a natural on Spiderman!

#21 12 years ago

I dropped in on Leigh in Australia last year while travelling. Great guy with a fantastic pin collection. We spent the evening playing pinball, drinking VB, and chatting. Good times!

#22 12 years ago

This thread actually gives me an idea for the Pinside site. Robin, you listening?

I've been fortunate enough to touch base with a couple of Pinsiders on my travels, and love the sense of community and comraderie. However, I always feel a bit akward going to someone's home I barely know, and even more so asking out of the blue to drop by. How about a way to alleviate that?

Robin, could you make some sort of icon on our profile that each person could turn on or off to show that we'd welcome Pinsider visitors? Like a "visitors welcome" sign?

For example, say I'm going to St. Louis. I pull up the map of Pinsider locations and see that there are three members near where I'm staying. I look at their profiles, and see that one person has their "welcome sign" turned on, and the other two don't. I'd feel much more comfortable contacting the one person with the "welcome sign" on to ask to stop by, and I'd know not to disturb the other two folks....

Thoughts?

Later,
    EV

#23 12 years ago
    Quoted from EchoVictor:

However, I always feel a bit akward going to someone's home I barely know, and even more so asking out of the blue to drop by. How about a way to alleviate that?

Robin, could you make some sort of icon on our profile that each person could turn on or off to show that we'd welcome Pinsider visitors? Like a "visitors welcome" sign?

I for one think this is a nice idea. And it would be relatively easy to realize as well. Will discuss this with Robin tomorrow to see what he thinks of it.

What do other people think? Would you use such a feature?

#24 12 years ago
    Quoted from Martijn:

For sure! I travel down to the states at least twice a year. Would be handy. My last trip down to Seattle I got to hang out with LaughingOtter for an evening of fun @ Shorty's. LO, I'm back early July! Brew me up some fine Pilsner, and let's hit up some pin.

Plus, any pinsiders ever venture up here (say, to try for a nice white tail or two), I'll pull the keys out at my location and we can have pints and play pins all night.

#25 12 years ago

I don't really live in or near a travel destination by any means. But if anyone ever finds themselves around my area, shoot me an email. Its always nice to meet fellow pinsiders.

#26 12 years ago
    Quoted from ovfdfireman:

Golf and pinball......will travel, if I get an invite

It will be open to all. I will post a time line early next week...

#27 12 years ago
    Quoted from Martijn:

Yes I would use it. I suggest a little hotel icon ala Monopoly!

#28 12 years ago
    Quoted from smokedog:

to try for a nice white tail or two

I suppose you're talking deer??

#29 12 years ago
    Quoted from The_Gorilla:

I suppose you're talking deer??

You betcha! (Disclaimer: Or what ever floats your boat.)

#30 12 years ago

I've met Pintucky at the local arcade in Nashville, TN. He's a very interesting person and will tell you great stories all day long! It's a great privilege to be invited to his house, especially when WOZ arrives. Otherwise I wouldn't have the slightest chance of seeing it in person for years to come, if at all.

#31 12 years ago

If anyone rolls thru the Columbus area when I'm not working, I'm more than willing to play my lone pin with anyone, or.. It just so happens about a mile from my house is an AC/DC and Transformers on route.. Hmm. How would that happen? Thanks Trent!

Unfortunately beer at my house is better than anything they have at the bar, but we have to make sacrifices to play newer machines.

#32 12 years ago

I met TZ Ben and tk375 at a party last October. PM me if you want to play pinball.

#33 12 years ago
    Quoted from Martijn:

Yes its a good idea

#34 12 years ago
    Quoted from The_Gorilla:

I suggest a little hotel icon ala Monopoly!

Wouldn't that imply you're also offering a place to stay?
    I would love to play pinball, drink beer and show pinsiders around but having
    strangers stay over may not be something my wife would like.

#35 12 years ago
    Quoted from Marten:

Wouldn't that imply you're also offering a place to stay?

Not in my opinion. Inviting someone over to play pinball and staying the night are two different things. One might lead to another, but shouldn't be implied in my book.

EDIT: I guess I should have read TG's post. LOL, yes a hotel icon might very well indeed give someone that idea.

#36 12 years ago

LOL, yes a hotel icon might very well indeed give someone that idea.

Ok. How about this then????

PlayPinballHere.gifPlayPinballHere.gif

#37 12 years ago
    Quoted from The_Gorilla:

LOL, yes a hotel icon might very well indeed give someone that idea.

Attachments PlayPinballHere.gif (19.5 KB, 0 downloads) 2 hours old

Very cool...and a nice idea...
    Cincinnati area here, and I have had folks ask (from RGP) to drop by and play my pins...usually not a problem, as long as I am here!!

Phoebe

#38 12 years ago

This is a great idea. Im all in for an icon. I love the idea of sharing the fun with other Pinsiders. Besides, our pins are usually in much better condition than those in the wild.

#39 12 years ago
    Quoted from Martijn:

EchoVictor said:However, I always feel a bit akward going to someone's home I barely know, and even more so asking out of the blue to drop by. How about a way to alleviate that?
    I for one think this is a nice idea. And it would be relatively easy to realize as well. Will discuss this with Robin tomorrow to see what he thinks of it.

I like it +1

#40 12 years ago

This is a great idea! I know I don't coment much but I would enjoy having people over for Pinball and Cocktails.

#41 12 years ago
    Quoted from jonnyo:

If you really make the grade, we bring you to Berkeley Macs.

What's that??? I guess I don't make the grade

#42 12 years ago
    Quoted from The_Gorilla:

Yep, I like the neon sign. I'll hang it in front of my window.

#43 12 years ago
    Quoted from Marten:

The_Gorilla said:

Yep, I like the neon sign. I'll hang it in front of my window.

Ik like it too, although it might be a bit difficult to make into a convenient icon...

You're going to provide these neons for free, so we can all place them in front of our windows, Gorilla?

#44 12 years ago
    Quoted from Martijn:

You're going to provide these neons for free, so we can all place them in front of our windows, Gorilla?

Uh...Uh....

But, I just stole the picture from Google???

#45 12 years ago

all are welcome to come by Pincades a few of you have been by before
    219-924-PINS
    JT

#46 12 years ago
    Quoted from shock_me:

We spent the evening playing pinball, drinking VB

Shouldn't that read V8????

3 weeks later
    #47 12 years ago

Robin,

any further thoughts/progress on this "Welcome Mat" idea???

Later,
    EV

#48 12 years ago

Hey jonnyo...If you ever come towards the Sac area let me know and you can stop by in Vacaville and play a few. We also play every other Tuesday night.

#49 12 years ago

Anyone who's coming to Vegas lmk I'll meet you at the pinball hof.

#50 12 years ago
    Quoted from ctozzi:

Anyone who's coming to Vegas lmk I'll meet you at the pinball hof.

I'm going to Vegas in September for my 21st.

There are 53 posts in this topic. You are on page 1 of 2.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/meeting-pinsiders-while-traveling and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.