(Topic ID: 35249)

Meet the Parents: my Bally Star-jet Pin...Multiball in 1963!

By jlm33

11 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

You

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

5.jpg
IMG_1642_-_Copy.JPG
1.jpg
5.jpg
6.jpg
4.jpg
2.jpg
#1 11 years ago

Here is my latest addition: a 50-year old Bally Star-jet pin. I love its retro-Sci-Fi art. Ahead of its time with its multiball feature (up to 3 balls at the same time). This was not the first pin where you could play several balls at the same time, but possibly the first with "lock" and release ball(s) features (?).

Should be placed soon right besides Nemo (Quetzal 2013)... to illustrate 50 years of Multiball within a few feet.

PF is fine but backglass will require emergency care. Plays great!

2.jpg2.jpg 4.jpg4.jpg 6.jpg6.jpg 5.jpg5.jpg 1.jpg1.jpg

#2 11 years ago

Awesome find, that game looks like a lot of fun. love the art!

#3 11 years ago

Love the retro "Jetsons" style sci-fi flying car art. Too cool!!

#4 11 years ago

Luv it!!! Could never understand the blocked out score reel?

#5 11 years ago

Great art work on that game! I believe there is a "1" digit in the blocked out score reel that can only be seen when the lamp behind it is lit. My Love Bug has it also.

#6 11 years ago

Awesome score...Star Jet has been on my list for some time, tough pin to find.

Shay recently did a run of back glasses by pre-order, they've not responded to any of my inquiries on extras, you may have better luck.

cheers,

rody

#7 11 years ago

Really nice score - and looks in much better condition than I'd expect. Love the comic book style artwork on many of these older machines.

You might look to get some better floor protectors - looks like it left a nasty scratch on the wood floor.

Quoted from Pin-it:

Could never understand the blocked out score reel?

I'm sure its a backlit number 1 rather than a score reel. This was common on older machines where there was more anticipation of rolling over the highest denomination score reel, but to keep cost down by not adding another score reel - particularly when most machines only had the three bank reels. In this case I'm sure the multi-ball feature prompted this.

#8 11 years ago

cool pin with amazing art. congrats.

#9 11 years ago

Knew there was a one.
They should have done it in reverse meaning put a dummy at the first number then raise the value of the others (like they did in some of the 70s era EMs)
Just looks outta place with a lit one IMO.
The Gottlieb I have has it I just think the blocked out score reel window detracts from what a better looking backglass it could be.

Like this--->

IMG_1642_-_Copy.JPGIMG_1642_-_Copy.JPG

#10 11 years ago

The one place may well be a dummy of there are no 1pt score targets. If there wasn't an expectation of the thousands going above 1 and no 1pt targets, then having only two active reels would save even more on production costs (the reel factor behind these decisions). Not sure I've seen a game with an active one's reels where there were no 1pt targets.

#11 11 years ago

Cool pin, nice find!

#12 11 years ago

beautiful pin. They had one at the Houston expo this year

--Jeff

#13 11 years ago

Yes great artwork.

Fits right in with the "Jetsons" cartoon which originally ran from 1962-1963 and where the idea for this pin may have come from.

"Lost In Space" the TV series would not premier until 1965 so it is safe to say that the "Star-Jet" machine was not influenced by this show, but one could entertain the opposite idea although far fetched and very unlikely.

Ken

#14 11 years ago

Great score!!!

#15 11 years ago

Thanks all for the kind words! To answer a few specific comments:

Quoted from wizzardz:

You might look to get some better floor protectors - looks like it left a nasty scratch on the wood floor.

...fortunately not on my floor ! These pictures were taken at the previous owner's place. Needless to say, I have these protectors installed!

Quoted from wizzardz:

I'm sure its a backlit number 1 rather than a score reel. This was common on older machines where there was more anticipation of rolling over the highest denomination score reel, but to keep cost down by not adding another score reel - particularly when most machines only had the three bank reels. In this case I'm sure the multi-ball feature prompted this.

Right. Took me several games to reach 1000 and lit that number! Note that there are number of 1-pt targets, so the first reel does change...

Quoted from Rody:

Shay recently did a run of back glasses by pre-order, they've not responded to any of my inquiries on extras, you may have better luck.

Will look for a new / repro backglass or try to save the current one. Thanks for the tip!

#16 11 years ago
Quoted from wizzardz:

The one place may well be a dummy of there are no 1pt score targets.

I think you will find that the bumpers are 1 point unless lite.

#17 11 years ago

This is how it looks when your score is above 1000 (player 2):

5.jpg5.jpg

#18 11 years ago

If you score over 1999- use an abacus. Nice game, must add to wishlist!

1 week later
#19 11 years ago

Those are the games that made you work for 1000 points

#20 11 years ago
Quoted from jlm33:

Here is my latest addition: a 50-year old Bally Star-jet pin. I love its retro-Sci-Fi art.

Artwork is great.

Looks like a fun Multi-Ball game.

If they have one at the PHOF I'll have to try it out.

Ken

#21 11 years ago

Edit

Quoted from jlm33:backglass will require emergency care. Plays great!

Quoting myself... going senile !?

Just to add that I finally found a backglass reproduction from the Shay Arcade Group, Inc. This was the last one in stock so I jumped in without thinking twice. Will send pictures when received. Always worried about transport !

My current Star-jet backglass is really in bad shape, but that's better than nothing. If anyone needs one and has restauration skills, PM me. I would rather see it on another machine than hanging on a wall after a sloppy restauration.

#22 11 years ago

I got a Shay reproduction for my So76. It was packaged extremely well.

The only thing I can say about Shay's glass is the silvering is not quite thick enough as you can notice a little light bleed in some areas. Other than that the glass looks fantastic.

#23 11 years ago

That game has been on my wish list for a long time....

#24 11 years ago

Nice game
I bet you have to work for every single point

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 65.00
Gameroom - Decorations
Pinball Photos LLC

$ 29.00
Gameroom - Decorations
Pinball Photos LLC

Various Novelties
Pinball Photos LLC

$ 55.00
Gameroom - Decorations
Pinball Photos LLC

Cabinet - Other
The Pinball Scientist

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/meet-the-parents-my-bally-star-jet-pinmultiball-in-1963 and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.