Linked Games

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

20220107_194521 (resized).jpg
2F9534F8-A629-4130-8497-D44E08BBA3F4 (resized).jpeg
119C7439-A6EB-4073-9F04-789D86A6E577 (resized).jpeg
#1 2 years ago

Hello everyone!

It's as straightforward as the subject! What events cause the laughter track to play on the Bally Medusa?

I know getting to "Conquer Olympus" and then either timing out or dropping to the lower playfield (when the zipper flippers open) plays the laugh track.

On some of my rounds, it seems like there are times when someone tickles her funny bone and she starts laughing at a lot of stuff in the lower playfield, too.

I'm trying to figure out if I have a problem or if that's normal.

#2 2 years ago

Well, I think I have this one sorted. I believe the machine laughs when the ball comes down from the upper playfield, after hitting an upper drop target.

I think the switch at the end of my zipper assembly indicates to the game that the zippers are closed. Hitting ANY bumper, drop-target or other switch in the ramps or lower playfield triggers some logic that says "If the zippers are closed, open them and play the laugh track."

It my case, it looks like the zipper switch was out of adjustment. Though it was closing, it appears the switch was slightly rotated at the base. This, in combination with the plastic sleeve around that pusher rod being worn significantly was sometimes letting the metal leaf electrically short against the metal pusher rod, depending on how the little plastic sleeve was rotated.

#3 2 years ago

I think that any switch on the lower part of the playfield triggers the zipper to go open.
Otherwise you can't shoot the ball back up between the flippers.
The "ghost" bumper hit is a mostly found problem, caused by bad capacitors on switches.

#4 2 years ago
Quoted from Inkochnito:

I think that any switch on the lower part of the playfield triggers the zipper to go open.

Absolutely correct, from what I can see. My problem is that the zippers were already open and the game didn't know it. So, every time I hit any switch, the game would laugh and "open the zippers". I just bounced off thumpers 9 times? Laugh 9 times and open the zippers 9 times. Oh, you hit a drop target on the right, "laugh and open the zippers" - it was crazy.

EDIT: I just realized my second post was very unclear. I hope this clears up what I was seeing.

#5 2 years ago

Okay, a broken zipper eos would indeed cause this behaviour.

#6 2 years ago

Skidave - Nylon roller that I think is very worn.

119C7439-A6EB-4073-9F04-789D86A6E577 (resized).jpeg119C7439-A6EB-4073-9F04-789D86A6E577 (resized).jpeg2F9534F8-A629-4130-8497-D44E08BBA3F4 (resized).jpeg2F9534F8-A629-4130-8497-D44E08BBA3F4 (resized).jpeg
#7 2 years ago

The nylon roller looks fine. However, the slide is dirty. I would suggest cleaning. I would remove and clean everything if it were my machine. Your choice. You should also straighten the switch blades that the post contacts. Once straight, you can fine tune.

The nylon washers I sourced for my rebuilds are circled in red and under the coil where the arrow points. To replace, you need to take it all apart. Remember the paragraph above where I suggest disassembling and cleaning

20220107_194521 (resized).jpg20220107_194521 (resized).jpg
#8 2 years ago

Thanks, Skidave. I'll get cleaning that on my list... but it's a long list for this machine. I didn't think I'd care so much, but I'm finding a lot of little things wrong that bother me a lot.

#9 2 years ago
Quoted from Phenomynon:

Thanks, Skidave. I'll get cleaning that on my list... but it's a long list for this machine. I didn't think I'd care so much, but I'm finding a lot of little things wrong that bother me a lot.

Welcome to Pinball and it will probably become another hobby you obsess over! In a good way...

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 18.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 10.00
Playfield - Plastics
UpKick Pinball

Wanted
Machine - Wanted
West Point, UT
$ 25.00
Electronics
Yorktown Arcade Supply

$ 69.00
Gameroom - Decorations
Pinball Pimp

$ 69.00
Playfield - Plastics
Pinball Shark

$ 8.00
Electronics
Third Coast Pinball

$ 90.00
£ 195.00
$ 139.00
Cabinet - Other
Pinball Pimp

7,000 (Firm)
Machine - For Sale
Reno, NV
Playfield - Protection
UpKick Pinball

$ 22.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/medusa-what-triggers-the-laugh-sound and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.