View topic image gallery

acdcmed_040.jpg
acdcmed_039.jpg
acdcmed_038.jpg
acdcmed_036.jpg
20150803_185410.jpg
20150803_185421.jpg
20150803_185356.jpg

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider heckheck.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#42 8 years ago

Medusa all the way!!!!

Note I may be biased having spent too much time redrawing the playfield

#47 8 years ago

They are around, but buy quick, once the playfield gets printed (it's on deck, cut with inserts and just waiting for ink behind one other project), you'll have a very hard time finding them I'll bet.

-Jim

#50 8 years ago
Quoted from TigerLaw:

Anyone know why CPR hasn't done anything for Catacomb? Who owns the rights to old Stern Ip?

I don't think the IP is the problem per se, more the demand is estimated to be low. There are Catacomb (and other Stern) games out there, but they are certainly more rare than most of the Bally class of '81 and other high run Bally games. Also, on the older games, it's become a question of what game can support an $800 pf or a $200 backglass.

#54 8 years ago
Quoted from TigerLaw:

I think there were 600 more Catacombs made than Medusa. Catacomb was easily the best Stern from that era; if the demand is there for Medusa I just can't believe the demand isn't also there for Catacomb.

I'm not saying there is no demand, but rather that Stern demand has consistently been a pretty narrowly focused subset of the hobby, with ardent fans. Bally on the other hand is a more well known brand that enjoys broader support. Don't get me wrong, I love Stern games, they are innovative. I love my 9Ball (and I think it was the best from Stern in that era .

Raw production numbers don't necessarily make a successful repro run. F2K for example had 6300 units produced, but the playfield did not sell well at all for CPR. There were leftovers sitting at CPR for years on a run of only 100ish. They need to do at least 75 boards to make a run viable. Many titles like Catacomb could get done (if there was art prepared by some artist -- not too many active at the moment and drawing a field is a big commitment like 500+hrs work), but would likely have to wait behind many other projects to see the press. Medusa has been quite a while waiting for it's production slot.

#58 8 years ago
Quoted from Taxman:

I have not voted yes and keep thinking about this.
Cons: (for me) I don't like cute non-pinball toys myself. So the extra buttons for the ball save (shield of the Gods) on Medusa bugs me and so does the backbox bagatelle.
Pros: Medusa has well used zip-flips but then Catacomb has a multiball that's not easy to get and satisfying when you do. Artwork is good on both.
Medusa has the skill shot that I'm not sure if its good or bad. It can really throw the advantage to the person who gets that down well.

Shield of the gods is not just a gimmick. Used properly it can and does provide a saving opportunity more effective than a simple center post for an otherwise wide flipper gap. Plus you only get so many (like magnasaves). Skillshot on Medusa is pretty tough, I've never been very consistent getting even 4 of the inserts lit. The bagatelle on Catacomb is pretty annoying and hurts IMO an otherwise solid game. I don't personally care for the completely indirect ball tragectories on Catacomb needed to lock balls. Seems nearly random, more so even than 9Ball (also indirect but mostly bankable).

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
4,200 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
St. Augustine Beach, FL
$ 1,199.00
Flipper Parts
Mircoplayfields

$ 3.00
Cabinet Parts
20eyes

Wanted
Machine - Wanted
West Point, UT
$ 149.95
Boards
Allteksystems

$ 69.00
$ 12.00
Electronics
Third Coast Pinball

$ 69.00
Gameroom - Decorations
Pinball Pimp

$ 139.00
Cabinet - Other
Pinball Pimp

Playfield - Protection
UpKick Pinball

£ 195.00
$ 859.00
Flipper Parts
Mircoplayfields

$ 69.00
Playfield - Plastics
Pinball Shark

$ 10.00
Playfield - Plastics
UpKick Pinball

$ 18.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 22.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 400.00
Flipper Parts
Mircoplayfields

$ 125.00
Hey modders!
Your shop name here

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider heckheck.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/medusa-vs-catacomb?tu=heckheck and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.