Medusa trouble shooting

By Madmax541

8 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

You

Linked Games

#1 8 years ago

Have a Medusa that I have been working on and is 95% Working.

When a game is started the 7 bank drop targets get reset and drops all but 2.
From what I have seen it should be starting with 1 then reset to 2, then reset to 3 continuing on to 7 targets are up.
The display gives credit for single drop target, so it sees it engaged but contacts on single target are open when drop target is up.
That single drop target (middle one) work in other configurations like 3, 5, 7targets

What am I missing
Looking for other ideas

#2 8 years ago

do you have a video of start-up? It could be a bad diode in the matrix. Mine did somthing similar, it was a diode.

#3 8 years ago

What does the switch test and solenoid tests say?

#4 8 years ago

Unfortunately if you search Pinside and RGP, you will see that a few of us have has the "exact same" issue and never found a fix. It's really a head scratcher because everything tests perfect...

https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/bally-medusa-help-needed

Good luck and be sure to post a fix if you find one!

Rob Bell
Robsgameroom.com

#5 8 years ago

Does it drop alone or simultaneously with another target?

#6 8 years ago

Yes, same exact issue here. I can not seem to figure it out. I have replaced the board (original, to Alltek), switched the solenoid and even the lamp board and the transformer just to make sure. It must be a playfield issue.

#7 8 years ago

Someone please post a video.

#8 8 years ago

The coil under the apron needs 2 diodes. And there's only one diode...

Same problem on Medusa serials 1022 & 2092, solved by adding a diode or changing the coil. It seems to be a mess up between coils at Bally, when they've made the pinball. I would be interested to see what are the serials of your Medusa.

#9 8 years ago
Quoted from Manu2:

The coil under the apron needs 2 diodes. And there's only one diode...
Same problem on Medusa serials 1022 & 2092, solved by adding a diode or changing the coil. It seems to be a mess up between coils at Bally, when they've made the pinball. I would be interested to see what are the serials of your Medusa.

This is very interesting to read. All of the research I have done and I have never heard of this fix. I will try this as soon as I can on my buddy's game. Hopefully this is what we are looking for!

Thanks for posting this!

#10 8 years ago

I believe that is what I did to fix mine. I do remember for sure it was a diode problem. Just can't remember what coil. Look to see what solenoid if firing at the same time the target drops.

#11 8 years ago

You guys nailed it.
Kickout coil only had one diode.
Changed it problem solved.
Why does this bally need two diodes on some of the coils?

Another problem.
Game works fine except for one thing left flipper works for 2 to 4 flips and then stops working and starts working for 2 -4 then stops.

Flippers have been totally rebuilt, cabinet flipper switches are new.
Switches are gapped properly

Any thoughts?

#12 8 years ago
Quoted from Madmax541:

You guys nailed it.
Kickout coil only had one diode.
Changed it problem solved.
Why does this bally need two diodes on some of the coils?

Because of the solenoid expander ckt, voltage will back feed and energize multiple coils without the diode in place and working. (As you see with your drop target) Here is a video of proper target operation.

#13 8 years ago

This is really great news! My buddy checked his as well and only one diod. We will fix that ASAP!

#14 8 years ago

Could grounding of SDB cause intermittent flipper?
Only left flipper has issue.

#15 8 years ago

What's the issue with the flipper?

#16 8 years ago

Game works fine except for one thing left flipper works for 2 to 4 flips and then stops working and starts working for 2 -4 then stops.
Flippers have been totally rebuilt, cabinet flipper switches are new.
Switches are gapped properly

#17 8 years ago

When it stops working, hold flipper button in and try wiggling connectors on SDB. Are the EOS switches new too?

#18 8 years ago

EOS are new
Hold flipper button wiggle wires no change.

How do you test solinode expander board?

#19 8 years ago

Also check solenoid expander and resoldered connector pins.
Switched out a SDB

All voltages correct @ flipper coil.

#20 8 years ago

Might be a bad flipper coil. A flipper has two coils. One is the power coil and the other is the hold coil. Hold down flipper button and manually lift the flipper. Partway up, it should lock the flipper in the up position. If it does this, replace the coil or make sure your EOS switch is closing properly. Just because a coil is new doesnt mean its good!

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 9.00
Cabinet Parts
Third Coast Pinball

Playfield - Protection
UpKick Pinball

$ 139.00
Cabinet - Other
Pinball Pimp

$ 10.00
$ 10.00
Playfield - Plastics
UpKick Pinball

$ 90.00
$ 69.00
Playfield - Plastics
Pinball Shark

$ 30.00
Lighting - Led
Pinballrom

$ 69.00
Gameroom - Decorations
Pinball Pimp

$ 25.00
Electronics
Yorktown Arcade Supply

Playfield - Other
Bob's Pinball Stuff

£ 195.00
$ 22.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

Wanted
Machine - Wanted
West Point, UT
$ 22.50
$ 18.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/medusa-trouble-shooting and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.