Topic Stats

• 9 posts
  • 4 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 2 years ago by MikeO
  • No one calls this topic a favorite

You

Linked Games

#1 2 years ago

Got a Medusa at Christmas and have been bringing it back to life with great joy.
This is all new to us.
The upper right flipper on our Medusa chatters and will not hold.
Can you possibly provide a direction? Would it be the EOS or coil?

Video;

#2 2 years ago

In my experience, it is always the coil that is bad.

#3 2 years ago

I'd sure consider replacing that EOS with that much arcing going on but, yeah, it's acting like maybe the hold part of the coil isn't holding. What happens if you isolate the EOS switch blades, does the flipper move at low power? Or you could try clipping those blades closed temporarily and see if it stops chattering. Don't hold it up though, as you'll burn the coil with the EOS clipped shut.

#4 2 years ago

+1 on what Toyguy said. Need to isolate what is causing this.

If you are concerned it is the coil, which is possible, swap it over to a flipper that is working correctly now and see if the symptom follows the coil. If so you need a new coil. Be very careful to match up the wires to the proper solder lugs or you will create even more issues.

Before you move the coil inspect it for a broken wire lead at one of the solder lugs. That is something you should be able to inspect visually. If so, that needs fixed or may be the justification to replace the coil.

Lastly, you have posted in the EM area, Medusa being a SS game should be in the SS category. Luckily your issue is universal.

#5 2 years ago

Thank you guys.
This site is great.
Regarding the replacement of the EOS, my research indicates that they no longer make this EOS.
I temporarily clipped the blades together and the flipper held. Does that indicate a bad coil?
Thanks again for the help.

#6 2 years ago

Sorry MikeO.
Rookie mistake.
Thanks

#7 2 years ago

MikeO,
Great call on the loose wire. After careful inspection wire was off.
All is well with the world (for now).
Thanks again guys for the responses.

#8 2 years ago

Sweet! Just picked up my own Medusa and have been working through it fixing things the previous owner didn't worry about. Enjoy!

#9 2 years ago

Glad you found the issue. Your video was quite helpful in determining which advice to provide.

Promoted items from the Pinside Marketplace
7,750 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Middleborough, MA
$ 279.95
Cabinet - Other
Rock Custom Pinball
$ 21.00
$ 20.00
Electronics
Yorktown Parts and Equip

Hey there! Got a moment?

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run thanks to donations from our visitors? Please donate to Pinside, support the site and get anext to your username to show for it! Donate to Pinside