ZipperFlipper_Left.jpg
20231125_102542 (resized).jpg
20231107_203750 (resized).jpg
pasted_image (resized).png
image (resized).jpg
image (resized).jpg
image (resized).jpg
20230910_132411 (resized).jpg

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider quench.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#445 6 years ago
Quoted from pinplayer01:

Lastly, as I am missing these, is there anywhere that sells the black twist socket?

Those black 555 lamp twist socket holders are very commonly used in car instrument clusters. So try your local auto parts store / auto electrician / auto wrecker.

1 month later
#479 6 years ago

Has anyone experienced this level of wear on the Zipper Flipper cranks? Is this common? Has anyone tried to retrofit a different plunger/link/crank that isn't wearing metal on metal?

ZipperFlipper_Left.jpgZipperFlipper_Left.jpg
ZipperFlipper_Right.jpgZipperFlipper_Right.jpg

#483 6 years ago
Quoted from vec-tor:

You have to remember Zipper Flippers were designed for AC current not DC current.

I'd say it's a design flaw - there's not enough metal at the crank hole. I think the 25-500/34-4500 flipper coils are also too strong for the location of these zipper flippers and I'm tempted to replace them with 26-600/34-4500 coils in the hope they reduce the impact on the drop/standup targets.

Since I'm not in the US and parts aren't available where I am, I'm tempted to try and be a little creative by retrofitting a traditional crank/link/plunger that won't wear so much and is more common/cost effective.

Picture courtesy of Marcos showing the original hole position/size.

Crank_Large.jpgCrank_Large.jpg

8 months later
#511 5 years ago
Quoted from HamDandsome:

the upper left saucer wont eject when I get in it and when I hit that switch it triggers the ball eject switch into the shooter lane

Sounds like your Solenoid Expander isn't working. Go into Solenoid Test Mode and referencing the solenoid test numbers in the manual, take note of which solenoids activate at the wrong time.

Quoted from HamDandsome:

also, all the lights up the right side (skillshot and all the ones near it) do not light up...

These lamps are driven by the Auxiliary lamp driver board. Issue is likely related there.

Post a request for help thread in the "Tech: Early Solid State" sub-forum. There are more techs paying attention there.

2 years later
#556 3 years ago
Quoted from mrs_mezelmods:

we had a request to make a replacement for the KICKER POST RED NYLON BALLY MIDWAY for a local pal.

Fireball II also uses this post so you might want to post the same in that club thread:
https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/fireball-ii-club-members-only

9 months later
#583 2 years ago
Quoted from Grefla:

Are the brackets that hold the apron on supposed to be straight?

My end apron brackets are also bent - playfield hangers are straight:

IMG_0009.jpgIMG_0009.jpg
IMG_0011.jpgIMG_0011.jpg

#586 2 years ago
Quoted from Mudflaps:

Are the zipper flippers supposed to contain the ball when closed?

The zipper flippers do hold the ball when closed on mine.

1 month later
#602 2 years ago
Quoted from goldpins:

When you go to the lamp flashing test, do the skill shot (Gorgon) lamps flash in sequence with the other lamps?

Yes, those are feature lamps which are all switched on and off during lamp test mode.
Are the 20 rear playfield panel lamps all flashing? these plus the Gorgon lamps are driven by the auxiliary lamp driver board.

#604 2 years ago
Quoted from goldpins:

I did a playfield swap so I must have a wiring issue on these.

Issue must be with the braid wire (that carries 6 volts DC) to the base of those Gorgon lamp sockets.

10 months later
#634 1 year ago
Quoted from pb456:

Reading through the manual, seems to be lacking.

Last page of the downloadable PDF manual has the coil types.

Disconnect J1 from the rectifier board - that will remove the playfield from the equation, just in case the short is around the front door coin lockout coil / cabinet knocker coil.

Medusa_Coil_types.pngMedusa_Coil_types.png

#637 1 year ago
Quoted from Chosen_S:

is there a chance someone here has one from a parted Medusa machine?

Just curious but why are you using Medusa as a wiring template for Embryon with Medusa's more complicated hardware?

#639 1 year ago
Quoted from Chosen_S:

It’s making me wonder now if future spa may be a better match

Future Spa has the rectifier board/transformer in the head while Embryon has it in the base of the cabinet. Got any other Ballys of that era?

I have a project Embryon in storage and was actually going to take pictures of it yesterday for you but it didn't pan out. My next visit to it will be in about 3 weeks but I think you'll likely have it sorted by then.
Anyway I do have a Medusa here and am happy to take head wiring pics if you still want them.

3 months later
#647 1 year ago
Quoted from Clintonian:

Can anyone send me some pics of the solenoid driver board in the back box, specifically the J3 connector wiring?

The solenoid driver board J3 connector is wired the same for nearly every Bally of this era. Per the Medusa schematics:

J3 Top
1)
2) - key
3) White
4)
5) Yellow
6) Grey-Blue
7)
8) Red
9)
10) White-Brown
11) Red-Green
12) Orange
13) Brown-Green (connects to pin 25)
14) Grey-Brown
15) White-Green
16) Black-Green
17) Green-White
18) Grey-Green
19) Black-Red
20) Brown
21) White-Blue
22) Black-Blue
23) Red-Yellow
24) White-Orange
25) Brown-Green (connects to pin 13)

Pin 13 has a loop wire that connects to pin 25

Below picture example from Embryon

IMG_0021a.jpgIMG_0021a.jpg

3 weeks later
#652 1 year ago
Quoted from Clintonian:

Hey guys I’m in need of some pics of the zipper flipper assembly under the playfield.

At the top of every thread here is an image gallery of pictures attached within the respective thread. You will find some pictures of the zipper flipper mechs:

https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/medusa-owners-club?gallery#g

10 months later
#662 7 months ago
Quoted from Gotpins:

Could a kind Medusa owner please take a square on pic of the backbox light panel for me?

Hope these help.

IMG_0004a.jpgIMG_0004a.jpg
IMG_0010a.jpgIMG_0010a.jpg

1 week later
#674 6 months ago
Quoted from koji:

My medusa came with a sling arm instead of that unobtanium kickback post which just didn't work or look too good

Just FYI, Marcos sells a 3D printed part - might have even been a pinsider who modeled it and probably somewhere in this thread or the Fireball II thread:
https://www.marcospecialties.com/pinball-parts/C-972-1

2 months later
#682 4 months ago

Six years ago I posted some pics of the zipper flipper crank/pawl wear on my game:

https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/medusa-owners-club/page/10#post-3913477

ZipperFlipper_Left.jpgZipperFlipper_Left.jpg
ZipperFlipper_Right.jpgZipperFlipper_Right.jpg

Last year probably only 200-300 plays after those pictures were taken, a friend was playing and we heard a bang in the cabinet to find one of the plungers on the bottom of the cabinet and it's flipper crank hole blown out:

IMG_0013a.jpgIMG_0013a.jpg

There was no way I was going to install new parts that were just going to do the same thing with metal on metal wear so I made up a more traditional setup - before and after pics:

IMG_0030a.jpgIMG_0030a.jpg
IMG_0007a.jpgIMG_0007a.jpg

Excuse the rusty cranks, I'm waiting on new ones to come in.
I made new links from some POM plastic, new metal idle end stoppers and new EOS switch brackets to move the switches closer to crank and higher from the base plate. The new plunger/links probably turned out to be similar spec to Stern gen 2 flippers. The crank/pawls are early solid state Bally.

4 months later
#688 9 days ago
Quoted from pb456:

Did you make the metal idle end stoppers and EOS switch brackets?

Yes I fabricated those metal brackets.

Quoted from pb456:

Where do you find the POM plastic? Maybe even bakelite would work?

I bought a 300x300x3mm black sheet from AliExpress years ago:
https://www.aliexpress.com/item/32852877596.html
There's probably other sellers that are cheaper now.

I believe the grey plastic links used in DMD games is made of POM. Home roller door wheels are made of this material because of its high strength and low wear properties. I use it whenever making new flipper links now. Traditional Bakelite-fibre material could certainly be used otherwise.

Quoted from pb456:

Looks like the coil 'shaft' is shorter.

The coil plunger/shaft has to be shorter since the original design didn't have a link. My parts seller was selling packs of ten so I don't know what brand/game the plungers are from.

I did spend time measuring to try and make sure the flipper travel was about the same as original and the link angle on the crank was about the same at both extremes.

#690 8 days ago
Quoted from pb456:

Did you have them CNC'd?

Nope, I crafted the metal parts the old fashioned way with a vice, hacksaw and hand-drill..

Has your game also suffered from severe wear on the cranks?

If I remember right the plunger and POM link are about the same size as those used on early Stern gen2 flipper assemblies. They can be used as a starting point. I looked at using Williams / Stern cranks but their arm length is short so stayed with using the previous gen Bally cranks.
The steel used was the same thickness as the original.
If you look at the third picture in my post above you'll notice the corner of the base plates are bent up a little so this needs to be taken into account when making the end stops so they sit flat.

If you're CNC'ing then you have the advantage of redoing parts if they don't turn out right.

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 25.00
Electronics
Yorktown Arcade Supply

Wanted
Machine - Wanted
West Point, UT
$ 18.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 69.00
Gameroom - Decorations
Pinball Pimp

$ 10.00
Playfield - Plastics
UpKick Pinball

£ 195.00
$ 139.00
Cabinet - Other
Pinball Pimp

$ 22.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 30.00
Lighting - Led
Pinballrom

Playfield - Other
Bob's Pinball Stuff

$ 69.00
Playfield - Plastics
Pinball Shark

Playfield - Protection
UpKick Pinball

$ 8.00
Electronics
Third Coast Pinball

$ 119.95
Boards
Allteksystems

Hey modders!
Your shop name here

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider quench.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/medusa-owners-club?tu=quench and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.