Topic Stats

• 547 posts
  • 102 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 3 months ago by pinballshark
  • Topic is favorited by 38 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

There have been 214 images uploaded to this topic. (View topic image gallery).

Malachai (resized).jpg
IMG_5603 (resized).JPG
IMG_5601 (resized).JPG
pasted_image (resized).png
IMG_20180607_142318576_HDR (resized).jpg
IMG_20180607_142301793_HDR (resized).jpg
IMG_2042 (resized).JPG
32903481_10160481726250014_1134868988262612992_n (resized).jpg
9783C658-94FE-46D6-9983-A0E621ABFF02 (resized).jpeg
74F371A3-D6FF-4450-8E35-C5CDEB011C52 (resized).jpeg
9D7EC3DF-66B8-494B-92A6-E2210123E1F6 (resized).jpeg
IMG_0989 (resized).jpg
IMG_0995 (resized).jpg
IMG_0984 (resized).jpg
IMG_1013 (resized).jpg
IMG_1043 (resized).jpg

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider pinster68.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#12 6 years ago

Just picked up my Medusa last weekend. Mint backglass and boards, cabinet is maybe an 8, playfield has some wear spots, but not bad. Man there's a lot jammed on that playfield ... You would think so, but then lift the pf up - yikes! The thought of doing a pf swap. It's a tank.

#14 6 years ago
Quoted from Hellfire:

I had a buddy get a headless medusa and black knight in one of his purchase deals and knew i was looking for a playfield so i bought the headless children from him. got lucky more than anything.. I bought both complete lowers
I can restore the other PF I have just hasnt been much ambition or time.

Honestly medusa isnt that bad the rear drop target and light bar assemblies unscrew unplug, then its not so bad.
Elektra and Vector machines are worse but they did fit quite a bit of stuff on a single level playfield.

I'm good with it ... makes me feel like I got my money's worth ... and makes me feel today's Stern pins are 'so little for so much'.

#16 6 years ago

And to go off on a tangent: Think of all the CPU customizations possible with old pins to modernize the rules, sounds, etc.. Think of Paragon amped up with digital sound, additional rules, light shows and callouts. I'm pretty good with sticking to original, but it's fun to think of the possibilities.

1 week later
#22 6 years ago
Quoted from meSz:

I just picked one up this past weekend. It is in 100% working condition with the playfield looking pretty good with no wear. I am looking for anyone that would happen to have the original "Olympus" targets (2 green and 1 red). Also, would like to get a new better apron then what I have so if anyone has one that is in very good to NOS condition let me know!

If you find a source for targets please share the info.

My targets are red, with the center being a bullseye semi-transparent target. Funny thing is I don't know what they're supposed to look like. If you look at the Chris Hutchins Medusa restore they're all solid red. http://christopherhutchins.com/gallery/album344/41_G?full=1

#29 6 years ago
Quoted from Hellfire:

Here are some Pictures of the original style medusa top stand up targets closer up if this helps you out.

001.JPG 1 MB

002.JPG 1 MB

005.JPG 1 MB

NICE ... so that's how it's supposed to look.

#32 6 years ago

Anyone ever try these alternatives? Available via Pinball Life and Little Shop of Games.

515-5966-04.jpg ztarg114.jpg
#34 6 years ago
Quoted from meSz:

Not original but an hell of a good option!!!

Indeed. Now that I see what was supposed to be there I want to change what I have out. Two solid red targets left and right ... one pale semi-transparent red bullseye target in the center. Not bad ... just think it'll look better with new transparent targets.

#35 6 years ago

The last 24 hours of tech-time on my Medusa were quite productive.

Problems: Weak right mini flipper, no GI in the upper left, no flipper illumination (the four lights below the pf), and an odd short when the coin door was fully closed - it caused the several controlled lights to lock on and you couldn't credit-up.

Here's what I found:

1) Mini flipper pawl was adjusted too low. So it was hanging up on the end-of-stroke switch. All fixed.
2) GI wire disconnected on the right mini flipper. Repaired and -poof- the GI returned to the top left "Neptunes Cove" area
3) I never attached the ground wire from the main cab into the backbox. Not sure if this was the reason for the coin door short ... but the symptoms are gone.

Now my last couple of pesky issues:

1) If I understand the rules, the center target (when lit) should deduct from your bonus score. Mine seems unresponsive.
2) The two target bulbs (upper left and right) are dead. I think I understand why ... it's damn impossible to change those bulbs without removing the playfield ... or perhaps removing the two targets from below, then replacing them right from top-side.

That's it. Love this pin. such a beautiful work of art. I suspect CPR will have a playfield out in the future. I'm all in - but have to say my pf looks pretty good for 30+ years.

#37 6 years ago
Quoted from meSz:

Regarding the pf being done by CPR, the artist that did the artwork for the Medusa pf has advised me that he has finished all of the artwork and will be turning it in to CPR soon. He is hoping to see this in late 2014. He also is doing the center plastic in the middle of the pf as well. So anyone with this machine has the option to have a NEW, although it be a reproduction (doesnt matter to me), playfield, backglass and center pf plastic!

That's great news. I'm patient. I'm thinking if the artwork was turned in that a CPR preorder announcement will be soon.

#45 6 years ago

Put some more work in on my Medusa tonight. Replaced the three pesky bulbs on the backboard using forceps and a bit of duct table to pluck them out.

Almost done with bulb issues. My "same players shoots again" is out ... I suspect the transistor on the driver board.

Then there's those two odd-ball bulbs on the bottom side of the pf. One is now working, but the other by the left sling is out. I don't know why they're there ... but it's out, and I need to figure out why......

Put at least two dozen games on her tonight, including a high score of 1.3million. I have no idea if that's considered good for 3-ball, but I'm happy.

image-846.jpg

#47 6 years ago

Found this old thread on RGP, and bumped it for more info. No rulesheet to my knowledge, but good info in the thread that gets us mostly there to understanding what's what.

http://rgparchive.com/rgpforum/showthread.php?t=101032

Enjoy,

Brian

3 weeks later
#64 6 years ago
Quoted from Hellfire:

You realize on these machines Fathom, Centaur, Medusa ect this is why there are second PF hinges on the inside of the cabinets stand playfield strait up then lift the playfield up off the rear hing brackets then move playfield to the hing mounts in the center of the cabinet the you can tilt the playield against the backbox and it will stay there to work on it with ease. Just slide the hing pins into the front mounts when you move playfield.

Holy crap I didn't know that ... I had put pipe insulation on the forward edge of the head, then used squeeze clamps to keep the pf up. Must now go in the shop and check this out. Thanks!

Brian

#65 6 years ago

Anyone have a picture of the back drop target bank and switch wiring? I'm working through the schematics, but a visual reference would be great.

Let's just say that now I know why my center target wasn't working. Looks like several bad hack jobs back there.

Thanks,

Brian

#70 6 years ago
Quoted from Hellfire:

Your lucky i have an extra drop target bank for one out atm. but i did steal a switch or so to replace some of mine but the ground wire in the back does connect all seven target switches together and the 2 missing wires have a orange and brown going to them

108.JPG 1 MB

109.JPG 1 MB

110.JPG 1 MB

Perfect, thanks. Turns out I was able to get it working with the schematics as a guide. Sure enough it was mis-wired. Actually the center target was missing a wire altogether. All fixed now.

#72 6 years ago
Quoted from jasonbar:

You realize that I noticed those extra hinge pins but that I can't even manage to budge that PF upward vertically a little because I'm a weakling? It took me & my brother much grunting to do it together when he visited a few weeks ago. This PF is *full*! I can lift my Meteor PF up & out quite easily, but I don't have a prayer of lifting Medusa's.
Like pinster68, I flipped her up as far as I could & then used a short length of stout bungee cord to hold the PF up near-vertical when I reinstalled the rear drops assembly.
Thanks,
-Jason

I was able to get mine on the from lugs today, but it takes a bit of a hoofing. Lots of little things can get hung up while your bent over managing an awkward ~40 pounds of playfield.

What is nice is that on the front lugs you can work on the very back of the playfield. Granted I was working with a mirror and soldering wires till basically upside down and backwards.

#73 6 years ago

Today was a good Medusa day. Fixed the drop target wiring, did a bit of fine-tuning, and completely cleaned up my spinner target. I highly recommend taking your spinner to a buff polisher to clean the end lugs (not the faces), do the same to the connecting rod that passes below the playfield, then reassemble and put a teensy bit of thin oil on the three points where the spinner contacts metal (the two edges and the connecting rod). I used a wire thin applicator with a microscopic bit of super lube on it and just barely tapped the connecting points. Anyhoo, shots up center through the spinner are now awesome ... spinner goes like mad.

#79 6 years ago

To top off a good weekend with Medusa ... my high score. Good fun.

photo.jpg

#82 6 years ago
Quoted from jasonbar:

Medusa question of the day: What are the "1 2 3" green lights for, just in front of the 7 back drops? It seems that my "3" is always lit & "1 2" are never lit...
-Jason

I actually have the same question. Though I have noticed the lights change...

1 month later
#90 5 years ago

Fantastic news Medusa fans ... CPR is taking requests for playfields!

http://classicplayfields.com/order.html

#92 5 years ago
Quoted from Stu:

Not taking "orders", we are taking Requests......

Noted. Corrected.

1 week later
#101 5 years ago
Quoted from rottenrobert1313:

I couldn't resist any longer. After I checked and replaced a few of the Fuses I powered up my medusa. She works but the lower right pop would fire intermittently. I checked to see if the switch was closing with vibration, but that wasn't it. Now it doesn't work at all. Any ideas?? The plunger of the coil moves freely in the sleeve so I think it's fine.
Again I'm new to this hobby so I'm hoping it's an easy fix.

You'll see a small capacitor on that pop bumper's switch. It might be shorted. Clip one side and see if it stops firing randomly. If so do yourself a favor and pick up a batch of replacements. You can get them at Radio a Shack in a pinch. I think they are 1/2 microfarad.

#104 5 years ago
Quoted from rottenrobert1313:

Thanks guys. I posted in vid 1900's pop rebuild guide and he answered with the same response. I picked up a few from the shack and your right $$$$. I got a few more coming in the mail. The pops are firing when I hit the row of targets that are on the left. And the left sling will kick when I hit those targets too. Not sure why but figured if one cap is bad others might be too, so I'm going to replace them all.
Thanks again

Yep, that's your best bet. One test pretty much spells out the inevitable: replace em all.

1 month later
#164 5 years ago
Quoted from jasonbar:

I got me 5 gorgons on my skill shot tonight. First time! Required a reeeeeally soft plunge (at least on my machine's plunger/spring/whatnot assembly).
Also had the top right flipper poop out on me yesterday. Inspection showed a piece of loose black electrical tape & 1 of the 3 coil wires dangling. Wow. Solder applied. Easiest fix ever. *phew*
-Jason

I've had pretty good luck getting all 5 Gorgons ... and you're right - it requires a really soft plunge. There's times I think I went too soft, but then poof - ALL 5. Very challenging skill shot. But then it only matters if you make the most of those Gorgons by nailing the spinner as much as you can.

1 month later
#177 5 years ago

Heads-up/early warning: I'm selling my Medusa ($1800/obo). Very nice all around & shopped. Near perfect back glass, minimal wear in the bonus area (much less than I've seen on most Medusas), perfect/unhacked/no-acid boards, new correct lighted flipper bats with white Superbands, some planking in the upper playfield and wear in the skill shot area, otherwise very nice. Plays fast and fun.

I'm not putting it in the Pinside Marketplace until I have all my photos together. Here's a few quick shots ... it's all I have for now.

BTW I'm only selling as I got one in near pristine shape last weekend. Paid considerably more. Though it is fun having two Medusas right now.

155418.jpg IMG_9004.jpg
#179 5 years ago
Quoted from CaptainFantastic:

Played the above machine about a month ago. It plays faster than my Mylar covered Medusa and is def above average in the cosmetics dept. If I didn't have one already I would be all over this. Congrats on the new addition Brian!! Now just sell me your Centaur so I can get rid of the 2 I currently have coming in.

Thanks Craig. Love them Bally pins. Now I just need to locate an Embryon and Fathom. Just pulled my Dolly Parton out of the attic and per her back into service ... no shame here - I actually really like it.

1 year later
#309 3 years ago

Darn ... burned a coil on Medusa today during my pinball lunch break...

IMG_4377.jpg

1 month later
#314 3 years ago

Goo

Good times ... email came in from Kevin at CPR this morning. My full Medusa package is now paid in full. Really looking forward to this one.

medusa-package3_(resized).jpg

#317 3 years ago
Quoted from xeneize:

Pinster68, is CPR providing the center playfield window, as well? I had not seen that anywhere!

It depends on the package:

MEDUSA-BASIC

Playfield Only

- includes 7 new nylon rollover stars
$649 USD

=========================

MEDUSA-XTRA

Playfield + Window Kit

- includes 10 new nylon rollover stars
- includes new silkscreened window
- includes mounting screws and foams

$699 USD

=========================

MEDUSA-FULL

Playfield + Window Kit + Plastics Set

- includes 10 new nylon rollover stars
- includes new silkscreened window
- includes mounting screws and foams
- includes complete plastic set w/ double slings
- includes clears, key fob, and promo pieces

$775 USD

#319 3 years ago
Quoted from BumperMcBaulhogh:

Is there a way to just purchase the window kit? Couldn't find it on the CPR site.

I'd contact Kevin or Stu.

#323 3 years ago
Quoted from Pinball-Wiz:

Why can't I find a Medusa to add to my collection! Man you Medusa guys are lucky with this new playfield being released, just one of the best early 80's games with some of the best hand drawn art out there! I can't wait to see all of these new playfields installed!

Maybe it's because your location is "unknown".

I kid. I kid.

I looked for a long while ... then a Pinsider (Crispin) brought my attention to a nice one for ~$1800 in Maryland. A road trip later I had my Medusa. Later on There was a Minty Medusa for sale in NYC for quite a bit more, but I was on it ... too nice to pass up. So my previous Medusa went to Crispin in a trade for a beauty Space Invaders. Anyhow - I digress. Keep looking they're out there.

2 weeks later
#326 3 years ago

Here you go ... the CPR New In Box Experience. What a gorgeous playfield....

IMG_4604_(resized).jpg

IMG_4603_(resized).jpg

IMG_4597_(resized).jpg

IMG_4596_(resized).jpg

IMG_4595_(resized).jpg

IMG_4594_(resized).jpg

IMG_4593_(resized).jpg

IMG_4592_(resized).jpg

#335 3 years ago

That's odd. Bummer.

1 month later
#362 3 years ago

The fuses types needed are printed on the Rectifier Board in the lower cabinet. If for some reason your is unreadable (sometimes the print has flaked off) feel free to PM me and I'll grab a picture for you.

Regards,

Brian

1 month later
#377 3 years ago

Has anyone here done the CPR pf swap?

9 months later
#416 2 years ago
Quoted from PinballNZ:

Hi all
Question - does the plexi that covers the display in the playfield have a gasket or ring to keep it level with the playfield?

If I recall correctly, yes. There's rubber o-rings sandwiched between the window and the playfield. Tighten accordingly to get it perfectly level.

1 month later
#421 2 years ago
Quoted from calico1997:

Can anyone tell me if the Bally zipper flippers mechanism in Medusa is supposed to be greased on the moving parts?

No mention of it in the manual. I'd say no, but will defer to someone with a more definitive answer. From the picture it looks like someone was quite liberal with the grease regardless.

Promoted items from the Pinside Marketplace
Cabinet - Other
Rock Custom Pinball
$ 17.00
Electronics
Yorktown Parts and Equip
$ 90.00
Apparel - Men
Pinside Shop
2,800 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Montréal, QC
Cabinet - Other
Rock Custom Pinball

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider pinster68.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Hey there! Got a moment?

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run thanks to donations from our visitors? Please donate to Pinside, support the site and get anext to your username to show for it! Donate to Pinside