ZipperFlipper_Left.jpg
20231125_102542 (resized).jpg
20231107_203750 (resized).jpg
pasted_image (resized).png
image (resized).jpg
image (resized).jpg
image (resized).jpg
20230910_132411 (resized).jpg

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider mesz.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#21 10 years ago

I just picked one up this past weekend. It is in 100% working condition with the playfield looking pretty good with no wear. I am looking for anyone that would happen to have the original "Olympus" targets (2 green and 1 red). Also, would like to get a new better apron then what I have so if anyone has one that is in very good to NOS condition let me know!

#23 10 years ago
Quoted from pinster68:

If you find a source for targets please share the info.
My targets are red, with the center being a bullseye semi-transparent target. Funny thing is I don't know what they're supposed to look like. If you look at the Chris Hutchins Medusa restore they're all solid red. http://christopherhutchins.com/gallery/album344/41_G?full=1

My machine also has the solid red targets on it, like the one Chris did, but if you look at the Medusa flyer the targets are just like what Hellfire has on his machine. Issue is, these targets most have been only used on the Medusa or a few games at best as no one has them available. Appears that the only way to get them is by finding someone that has some NOS, used ones or to have them remade. I started to look into having them remade but I dont have an orginal one to go off of.

#25 10 years ago

Thanks for the additional pictures Hellfire. I sent an email to Marco so we'll see what they have to say. CPR is going to reproduce the Medusa playfield so the demand to have these targets will, I would think, increase as people are going to want to have what was originally on the game.

#27 10 years ago

I received the following response from Marco "We do not make the targets, but you might try Steve Young at the Pinball resource. He does the hot stamping on the targets.". I emailed Steve and am awaiting a response.

#30 10 years ago

Received an email back from Steve at Pinball Resource:

"I understand what you are looking for and have been unable to find either stock or the mold.
This type of target stalk was originally made by Wico in Chicago. I have some of them in incorrect colors from old stock we have acquired from old inventory from Wico's closure as well as other distributors closing their doors. Wico's tooling has been, for the most part, lost. They stopped paying their computer bills and the computer vendor pulled the plug on the "map" of where tooling was located for what part....we sometimes stumble across their tooling but there is no organized way to locate something when looking for it.

So...this puts us into fabricating tooling, which is expensive and only warranted when there will be sufficient demand to get a return from what is probably a $5-7,000 expendature....2 different target heads are needed and a bunch of colors have to be made.The heads may be designed into a interchangeable base, but that is for the mold designer and the molder to decide. My experience with this target type does not lead me to believe there is sufficient demand to invest in this tool at this time".

Thought it was nice detailed explanation!

#33 10 years ago
Quoted from pinster68:

Anyone ever try these alternatives? Available via Pinball Life and Little Shop of Games.

ztarg114.jpg 22 KB

515-5966-04.jpg 19 KB

Not original but an hell of a good option!!!

#36 10 years ago
Quoted from pinster68:

I suspect CPR will have a playfield out in the future.

Regarding the pf being done by CPR, the artist that did the artwork for the Medusa pf has advised me that he has finished all of the artwork and will be turning it in to CPR soon. He is hoping to see this in late 2014. He also is doing the center plastic in the middle of the pf as well. So anyone with this machine has the option to have a NEW, although it be a reproduction (doesnt matter to me), playfield, backglass and center pf plastic!

#39 10 years ago
Quoted from Hellfire:

Yeah i modified mine to have reverb this isnt the board in medusa but another built the same with reverb like I did in medusa.

Hellfire, is this something you made yourself or something that can be purchased? What are the benefits/features of it?

#42 10 years ago
Quoted from bigduke6:

This thread makes me very, very sad.

You sold yours didn't you!??

#46 10 years ago

Outside of the information in the manual is there somewhere that list all the shots and the "rules" to Medus? Like the "cheat sheet" you see online for games like TSPP etc!

1 week later
#48 10 years ago

Guys just to follow-up on my quest to get the "Olympus" targets reproduced, I sent an email to Rick at Planetary to see if this was a possibility. Rick advised "We can look into, but not sure we have good enough samples to make, and if it will be easy as transparent usually cracks". I advised him that several people are currently looking for these and with CPR reproducing the playfield that they would be in more of a demand. Lastly, I know there are a few other machines that this style of target was used but I wasn't certain as to which ones.

2 weeks later
#83 10 years ago

For some info on the Rules for Medusa go to http://tinyurl.com/k3ycbvm also for a little more on the game you can watch TNT's video of the game on YouTube

#86 10 years ago
Quoted from jasonbar:

Already studied those two resources. Didn't see anything about 1 2 3 lights up top... :\

Yeah cant find anything on this in the manual or elsewhere. Put a post up for this to see if anyone can assist!
http://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/medusa-what-is-the-purposefunction-of-the-123-lights-atop-the-playfield

2 weeks later
#87 10 years ago

On another post http://tinyurl.com/l344tda another Pinsider posted some of the rules related to Medusa.

4 weeks later
#105 10 years ago

I have read some post about how the speech for Medusa can be updated. Anyone have more information on this (i.e. what is involved, the end result, cost and where to buy?

#107 10 years ago
Quoted from rottenrobert1313:

Anyone know where I can buy parts to rebuild the zipper flippers including the mechanism?
I did a Google search and found very little.

I thought Steve had them at Pinball Resource. You're looking for a rebuild kit I assume??

#110 10 years ago

When I did a search for parts under the "Medusa" game I assumed it would show a rebuild kit for the upper flippers too but I guess not. I'll look into the EM parts. Thanks guys.

I did the same but then I went under Playfields - Flippers and found http://www.marcospecialties.com/pinball-parts/BFKIT88. It states it's for Medusa but appears to be for the main flippers only. I sent an email to Marco to see if they have a kit for the zipper and will post when they respond!

#115 10 years ago

Ok. I wasn't sure what's involved with the mechanism. As I haven't taken it apart yet. I just wondered if there was a "kit" to rebuild it.

I emailed Marco and asked about a Zipper Flipper Kit and received the following response "Sorry, but we do not have a zipper flipper rebuild kit"

3 weeks later
#120 10 years ago

Stencil kit for playfield?? You mean stencil kit for the cabinet? If the playfield is worn CPR is taking request for a new playfield to be reproduced late this year! Where are you located, I may be interested in buying your game if you're looking to sale!?!?!
Lastly, the targets aren't available anywhere! Trying to get Planetary Pinball to reproduce them but no luck so far!

1 week later
#136 10 years ago
Quoted from blanner22:

coils stops for the flippers and zipper flippers

For the Flippers I believe you're looking for the Core Plugs - A 613-127
For the Zipper Flippers they're referred to the Coil Brackets - P-108-53

To be certain you can go to http://www.planetarypinball.com/reference/partsmanuals/BLY_Parts_1981/index.html#/1/ and look at the Parts Manual to confirm.

#139 10 years ago

Have you taken the display from Player 1 or 2 and put it into 3? This way you can see if it's the display itself?

#141 10 years ago
Quoted from blanner22:

no never really looked at it, that's a good idea tho thanks guys keep you updated this week

Yeah do that first that way you know whether it's the display or in the board. More than likely it's the display but you never know. Also, when you take the player 1 display and put it into player 3 take the player 3 display and put it into the player 1, basically swap the two! This will allow you to confirm whether or not Player 3 display works!

#145 10 years ago
Quoted from blanner22:

$250 in parts on the way lol plus $200 for the machine

$450 for a working Medusa is excellent IMO! I see these go for 1k in poor condition. With CPR doing the playfield and already completed the plastic set and backglass I can see these going for more now as people can restore them!

Still working on the transparent targets though. Wish I knew someone that made molds as I would love to look into having a mold made. I know they're not cheap to do and it would take a long time to recoup the money but with Elektra, Vector and Medusa machines using them and with these machines having repo parts made I would think there would be a demand to have the transparent targets?!?!

Quoted from blanner22:

hellfire you the F#$%ing man brother thanks for the help and you too meSz

Glad to be able to help!

#153 10 years ago

Not sure if these will help ya or not. The first picture is of the one on the right and the second is the one on the left (standing in front of the machine with playfield raised). My machine has a little hacked wiring going on. Cant wait for the CPR repo playfield!!!

2014-02-17 15.47.53.jpg2014-02-17 15.47.53.jpg 2014-02-17 15.48.03.jpg2014-02-17 15.48.03.jpg
#169 10 years ago
Quoted from blanner22:

Swap the displays 1 with 3 and 3-1 mesZ and hellfire so it's the display should I will order the chip and try that first

Since the display is working but just reflecting zeros then I would, as hellfire stated, think it's the chip!

#170 10 years ago

On the repo front (news) another Medusa product has the possibility of being remade. Per http://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/williams-apron-remakes-what-titles-to-start-with-cast-your-vote a guy has inked a deal with PPP to reproduce Williams aprons. I had asked if this would lead to Bally aprons as well and he advised yes. Go to the link for more, if interested!

Regarding the CPR repo-ing the Medusa playfield, per their site they're no longer taking request as it is now filled. One step closer!

2 months later
#183 10 years ago

Hellfire, very nice machines. Can't wait till the artwork gets completed for Medusa and the playfield is done by CPR so I can restore mine!!!

10 months later
#191 9 years ago

Medusa CPR Playfield is now in CNC process per CPR website: http://www.classicplayfields.com/order.html

#198 9 years ago

Per CPR via another post on Pinside:

"Medusa Project (playfield) is at the CAD file stage with the CAD file about 80% complete, should undergo test cuts this coming week and production cutting within a few weeks at most."

3 weeks later
#202 9 years ago

There use to be a site that someone put up most of the rules that pertain to Medusa. Anyone have the URL? I am looking for anyone that may know all of the rules for Medusa!!! Thanks!

#207 9 years ago

So those that are waiting for the CPR Medusa playfield, I notice yesterday that the status has changed to from "CNC PROGRAMMING" to "CNC CUTTING NOW". So it's moving along!

#213 9 years ago

I guess I have dual membership to the club!

IMG_4475[1].JPGIMG_4475[1].JPG
#218 9 years ago

Has anyone ever tried the transparent targets that Marco has? They have
http://www.marcospecialties.com/pinball-parts/A-20499-9
and
http://www.marcospecialties.com/pinball-parts/500-5035-04

Not sure if the rectangular target would work since it's "3D".

These aren't the originals but close!

1 month later
#245 8 years ago
Quoted from Aurich:

Are they the mirrored plastics?

No they're not. Will be interested once I restore my Medusa as I do have a new set of CPR plastics.

Quoted from TigerLaw:

but this game doesn't seem to be hitting the market

Yeah you don't see these come up too often. Seems this era of Bally (Fathom, Centaur, Medusa to name a few) people tend to hang onto!! GL with your search!

#255 8 years ago
Quoted from BumperMcBaulhogh:

don't loose hope as I have seen a few come up in my area in just the past couple months.

I have a Medusa, actually had two and just sold the other one. Waiting on the CPR pf and plan on doing a full restro!

4 weeks later
#263 8 years ago

All of you Medusa owners, as well as Elektra, that are in search of NEW transparent targets for your machines check out .... https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/bally-transparent-targets-what-machines-used-them/page/3#post-2551919

IMG_49411.jpgIMG_49411.jpg

1 week later
#269 8 years ago

Just noticed that CPR updated their site and that the Medusa playfield is now in "ALL CNC CUT INSERTS BEING INSTALLED" status!

#272 8 years ago
Quoted from TigerLaw:

Just in time for me.

You pick one up yet?

#274 8 years ago

Congrats! Great game and the CPR playfield is getting closer and closer to coming to fruition. CPR already reproduced the plastics and backglass! Bob reproduced the transparent targets (see www.langelius.com) and Matt (merfeldma) spoke about reproducing the aprons but haven't heard anything further on this, especially since the ToTAN apron issue!

#276 8 years ago
Quoted from TigerLaw:

Sadly, their backglass does not look as good as an original.

Agree and I sold the one I bought and stuck with the original. Hopefully they will redo them!

#281 8 years ago
Quoted from Stu:

we have been sold out for over a year

CPR is sold out of the backglass but there are places ("distributors") still selling them!

1 month later
#296 8 years ago

Anyone add the Medusa interactive head as a topper to their machine?

The guy I purchased my machine from has this installed. He tool the wire from the head and ran into the back of the cabinet and attached it to a switch in the outhole. Every time the ball goes into the outhole it triggers the head!

You can purchase them on Amazon!

#299 8 years ago
Quoted from Kevlar:

I have one of those medusa heads on mine but have it sound activated. The voice is anoying so I disconnected it and also removed the led from the mouth as it looked crap. Picked it up for next to nothing in local supermarket ( Tesco ) in post haloween sell off.

Yeah it can be annoying but the guy that I purchased the machine from ran the wire to the outhole and put a switch in there. This way it's only activated when the ball goes into the outhole.

3 months later
#303 8 years ago
Quoted from swampfire:

I've decided that we really need a comprehensive YouTube video of Medusa's rules. I'll try to put that together over the holidays.

Would also be interested in a video but here is a post that may give you a head start!!!! https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/medusa-rulesheet-anyone-have-them

2 months later
#331 8 years ago

If you have an account with UPS you can go into it and update your profile so that you receive notice any time a package is to be delivered. I have this and received an email today advising my playfields will be delivered tomorrow!

#333 8 years ago
Quoted from Drano:

I was really hoping CPR would re-run the backglass

Try to contact Mayfair Amusement http://www.mayfairamusement.com/backglasses.html as their site reflects they have one! Would be better to find a used or NOS one as the CPR ones aren't the best!

I know Shay's Arcade Group had announced that they will start to making Bally backglasses soon as well. This will be great as Shay's does the silk-screening!!!

#336 8 years ago
Quoted from Drano:

I'm hoping Shay can turn out a decent Fathom glass as I'm in the process of making one from scratch... well, almost.
For Medusa I'm less picky. I just can't figure out why someone would have damaged my current glass just to add player numbers?
IMG_8149_(resized).jpg

WTF?? Sad thing is that glass looks nice, what I can see of it!! You said it's the proto version as well???

#338 8 years ago
Quoted from Drano:

It is the proto for sure... and looks to be original. Otherwise perfect too

From your picture it looks as though they just put a sticker on the front of the glass! You said that they scratched the back though?

#340 8 years ago
Quoted from Drano:

Yes, back is scratched off. I won't physically receive the machine until March 5th so I only have photos for now.

In the Mr. Pinball Classifieds today a guy has a NOS Medusa Backglass for $400

Backglasses for sale - Prefer local pick up - shipping not included

NOS Bally Medusa - $400

Phil Braun
makeittogo@yahoo
Exeter, RI

#342 8 years ago
Quoted from Drano:

Thanks, but I actually found someone with a spare CPR and will be grabbing that. Substantially less than $400 (which in Canadian dollars is closer to $600 at the moment )
Now I just have to try and get a hold of BobLangelius to try and get some repro targets!

Don't blame you as $400 is a little steep but the CPR ones are disappointing. The CPR playfields however are EXCELLENT!!

As for the targets http://www.langelius.com is Bob's site. I have them on my machine and they're certainly worth it! They look great and Bob actually made them stronger than the originals! I still would recommend to buy one or two extra and put them in the machine in the even one would ever break!

1 week later
#345 8 years ago
Quoted from PavBall:

So glad these play fields are finished. They look nice to me!!

Agree!!! The pf I had was maybe a 6 out of 10 when I ordered the CPR one. Since then I purchased another Medusa (upgraded) and the pf is maybe an 8 out of 10 and would be a great candidate for Kruzman but I still stayed on the CPR list and am so glad I did! Plan is to do a pf swap and then either sell the original as is or it will become wall art! I am a big fan of the artwork!

3 months later
#383 7 years ago
Quoted from Archytas:

As per most Medusa's the 3 targets behind the metamorphic drop target bank were broken at some stage and replaced with standard red ones, the previous owner has given me replacement translucent targets to go in - how big a job is it to replace these 3 targets?

It's not that difficult just a little time consuming. Check to see if you have the correct targets. You can check at this site: http://www.langelius.com/

Quoted from Archytas:

Finally I got a reproduction apron sticker from classic arcades but the color is slightly different to the actual apron

Yeah the Classic Arcade stuff is typically cheap and not true to the original artwork!

7 months later
#396 7 years ago
Quoted from calico1997:

Another question. . I'm purchasing one of two Medusas a guys has for sale. One backglass with nips and one without. So is the nips one from CPR and is it really bad looking? Backside picture shows nips version on the bottom. Which one do I get?

If the nips one isnt a CPR then I would go with it as it's rarer! If it is CPR then go with the other! The CPR ones are dark (over saturated) and look blah! Looking at your second picture I am thinking it's a CPR one (looking at the glass on the left of the picture) as it looks dark.

I had purchased a CPR one and wound up selling it off and keeping my original as I just didn't like the CPR one at all!

4 months later
#429 6 years ago
Quoted from pinplayer01:

Can anyone confirm if my suspicion is correct, see the image, there are 4 lights that appear to be missing (2 each on the very ends of the array).

Yes all the sockets should have a #555 bulb

Quoted from pinplayer01:

is the light removable from its base?

Yes, remove the (I believe) 7 nuts and it will come off!

#434 6 years ago
Quoted from pinplayer01:

Hi, thanks for your response. From your post, it seems then that the lamp is removable from the black twist socket - please confirm. Lastly, as I am missing these, is there anywhere that sells the black twist socket? If I can't find any, then I suppose I would need to mock up something for these missing 4 lamps. Thanks.

yes just twist them and they come out! As for where to buy them ..... most pinball places have them like
http://www.marcospecialties.com/pinball-parts/24-8767
http://www.pbresource.com/sockets.html#555

You may want to look closer to home as shipping will cost more than the parts! Like this place (but currently out of stock)
http://www.pinballspareparts.com.au/24-8767.html

#438 6 years ago
Quoted from TigerLaw:

So, here is my current problem:
The ball is not reading when it's in the saucer. The kicker works (i.e. when I power cycle the game it will kick out but it does not ball search or anything when the pinball goes into the saucer). Not really sure what the issue may be, any quick ideas?

Look in your kickout and see if you have the two metal tabs sticking up like my picture reflects! These two tabs are there to make the ball set back into the hole so the ball is sitting on top of the switch! If they're there and not worn put the ball in the hole and push down on it and roll it towards the back of the hole and see if it registers as it may just be that the switch needs adjusted!

IMG_7574[1] (resized).JPGIMG_7574[1] (resized).JPG

Also make sure your switch has the plastic nub in it or the ball wont register!

9 months later
#498 6 years ago
Quoted from goldpins:

My upper flippers have the same washer between the bat and the playfield.

Same here! My playfield is original and it shows no sign of wear! Though about replacing the metal with nylon washers!

1 month later
#509 6 years ago

If anyone is looking I placed a CPR GOLD Medusa playfield on the Market https://pinside.com/pinball/market/classifieds/ad/63113

4 weeks later
#517 5 years ago
Quoted from igo4rams:

Very interesting backglass, more pics would be nice. Does not look factory at all. Man, that game was let go, so dirty. Great game, best wishes to you.

Looks home made but like you said ... hard to tell from the picture! The CPR Medusa backglasses are easily available if this one isn't to your liking!

#522 5 years ago
Quoted from roar:

If that thing is complete $500 is a great price

I wouldn’t go as far as saying that! Keep in mind that the Medusa cabinet has partical board so if it’s in a damp warehouse the cabinet may also be toast. Also, the metal pieces could all have rust on them.

In short, need to open the game up and see what it looks like. If it comes down to just needing a pf and bg then I would buy it for 500$. Who knows the pf could be nice.

#524 5 years ago
Quoted from roar:

All that considered I’d still take a flyer on it for $500 CDN if it is complete. If it’s missing mechs then I’d be out.

Yeah that would be the deciding factor (missing mechs)!

WAIT that is $387 USD......... go buy this thing!!!! lol

#526 5 years ago
Quoted from mmarch1:

I'm heading back next week with a truck, possible restore in near future! I'll post more pictures when I get the thing home. stay tuned! thanks for the feedback guys!

Good move mmarch1 ! I think worst case scenario, say the machine is more than you want to tackle in the way of restoring, I think you'll be able to at least get your money back plus a little more!

11 months later
#541 4 years ago
Quoted from Fytr:

I have a set, I needed a replacement for my left ball guide. They seem really nice to me but what specifically are you looking for?

Looking to see how opaque they are! The CPR ones, at least the ones I purchased, don't light up like the originals. See the below link for better understanding.

https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/medusa-owners-club/page/8#post-3577993

#543 4 years ago
Quoted from Fytr:

I certainly didn't notice anything like that, I'll have another look and post a pic here for you.

Did you replace all of your plastics or just the Left Ball Guide? Be interesting to see a picture of you playfield if you only replaced the left guide as it would be apparent

1 year later
#555 3 years ago

Just FYI..... believe you left the T off of support.

#558 3 years ago
Quoted from pinballshark:

Is that originally a plastic part? In my game it's made of metal.

Post a picture

1 month later
#560 3 years ago
Quoted from Wowdesigns:

Hello. New to pinball collecting and one of my first pins is a Medusa. I am going to start restoring this one and wondering about the rubbers. Mine is currently all red, but I've seen several kits using white and yellow on the flippers. What are the original colors?
My playfield is pretty jacked too, so I will have to restore or replace it.

The white and yellow were the originals used. If you look at the original flyer for Medusa this is what's shown.
https://flyers.arcade-museum.com/?page=flyer&db=pinballdb&id=687&image=2

Private Message (PM) BobLangelius or got or http://www.langelius.com/ and he can sell you replacement targets for the top of the playfield. Must have if yours are broken or not the original targets.

5 months later
#571 3 years ago
Quoted from mjalexan:

Man I thought I was really on to something with this topper, compliments of Kroger.... until I searched “topper” in this thread. Anyhow, here’s mine, wired to an extra switch on the shield button.

I have the same one but I have it wired to the kick out hole

5 months later
#605 2 years ago

Turn game on today and left flippers are down. Have continuity back to the Alltek Solenoid Board and to PS board. All wires intact. Looking for next thing(s) to look for.

By know means am I proficient in electronics so if you can dummy it down for me I cam go from there. Thnx

#607 2 years ago
Quoted from vec-tor:

Check EOS switch on bottom flippers.

I did visually check them and they appear to be good. Gapped properly, wires intact.

#609 2 years ago
Quoted from vec-tor:

b) manually raise bottom flipper in up position.
bq) does flipper stay activate in up position?

So I get to this point and the flipper did stay up but then I released the flipper button and it returned to the down position. Upon pressing the flipper but again it worked. So now the flipper is working.

Great that it now works but this is not normal???

1 month later
#618 2 years ago
Quoted from Pinballer73:

I'd purchase the Shay version, having seen both side by side.

I've never seen the Shay version but I would go with it as the CPR version the colors are so dark and saturated.

1 month later
#623 2 years ago

My son is advising me that my Medusa machine is acting up. He’s saying that during game play the knocket will just start firing off. Since I’m back East for the holidays I would like to look to see what can cause this. I’ve played a few games and have yet to experience it. Anyone ever have this happen???

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 10.00
Playfield - Plastics
UpKick Pinball

$ 18.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

£ 195.00
$ 10.00
$ 22.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 30.00
Lighting - Led
Pinballrom

$ 69.00
Gameroom - Decorations
Pinball Pimp

$ 55.00
Displays
PinballSolutions.eu

$ 25.00
Electronics
Yorktown Arcade Supply

Playfield - Protection
UpKick Pinball

Wanted
Machine - Wanted
West Point, UT
$ 149.95
Boards
Allteksystems

$ 69.00
Playfield - Plastics
Pinball Shark

$ 139.00
Cabinet - Other
Pinball Pimp

$ 8.00
Electronics
Third Coast Pinball

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider mesz.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/medusa-owners-club?tu=mesz and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.