Medusa has muted highs after cap refresh

By Fytr

6 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

You

Linked Games

#1 6 years ago

I picked up a Medusa a few weeks back and when I got it home you couldn't hear the speech. I adjusted the volume pots on the sound board (both sound vol and speech vol) until I could hear both clearly. The pots didn't adjust the volumes smoothly but would more cut in and out as you turned them, but was able to find a sweet spot for both eventually.

At that point there was noticeable background hum coming through the speaker, and sometimes a sound like an 'electronic windstorm'. However, while playing the sound quality was crisp and the speech clear.

I also noticed that the board had original caps on it. So today I replaced all the caps on the Squawk & Talk board as outlined on the GPE kit list (https://www.greatplainselectronics.com/proddetail.asp?prod=BALLY-STE-KIT). I didn't replace c16 or c22 though as these appeared to be tantalum caps.

When I turned the game on I once again had trouble finding a sweet spot with onboard volume pots. The sound had shifted where the high frequencies are now somewhat muted, and the speech is fairly distorted. Plus the 'electronic windstorm' sounds were still present.

So, I figured the volume pots were shot, and removed them. Not having replacements handy I instead installed a 330 Ohm 1/2 watt resistor is each pot's place (I think the pots were 1K Ohm), figuring these would be a reasonable value until I get new pots. Unfortunately, the sound still has muted highs and the speech is distorted, but the 'electronic windstorm' has at least disappeared.

Finally, I read that the TMS5200 could cause sound quality problems due to corroded pins so I popped it out and cleaned the pins, inspected the socket and solder points - all seem fine. No improvement in sound quality.

I'm at a bit of a loss since the board sounded fine before I replaced the caps. Suggestions?

#2 6 years ago

You can play with the speech clock resistor, you can even put a pot in there to play with. Adjusting the speech clock gives you a bit of play.

Another thing to consider is caps can filter certain frequencies. I have a memory of stuffing a wrong cap value on a board by a magnitude of ten in a pre amp area of a sound card. It ended up filtering out one end of the frequencies.

#3 6 years ago

I double-checked all the caps that I replaced and they match what is specified on the GPE kit. I haven't had a chance to verify those values with what's in the schematic yet, though I would be surprised if the GPE kit spec was wrong at this point.

When I was working on the sound board I noticed that the speaker wiring was hacked and one of the wires was just loosely wrapped through the speaker connection. I fixed that up but now I'm wondering if maybe the speaker could be damaged, resulting in too much bass and not enough highs?

Quoted from barakandl:

You can play with the speech clock resistor, you can even put a pot in there to play with. Adjusting the speech clock gives you a bit of play.

Which R# is that? Would a 1Kohm pot work in that location?

#4 6 years ago

R9 which the Fathom manual calls out as 130k (sometimes different depending on board/game). You could try a 250k or 500k trim pot and wire it up like a rheostat (middle leg connected to one of the outer leg).

#5 6 years ago

Also in this audio chain, check placement and test:
C43/36 (2 uF), C31/34 (1uF)

Definitely make sure that you used the 2uFs in that kit for C43 and C36.

If that is not enlightening, continue:

Check C19, C24, C25, C27, C28 and C29 (make sure they are correct value, and test okay.)

In order: C19/24/25/28 == 1uF, C27 == 1000 uF, C29 == 470 uF.

Failing that we need to start considering replacing some of your ceramics.

Don't shotgun these yet (let's figure out the new problem first), but these are all part
of what shapes tone in this circuit:

C21 (100 pF), C32 (68 pF), C23 (0.47 uF), C30 (0.1 uF)

Your pots probably just needed a cleaning. If you can clean them carefully and get them working smoothly I'd be tempted to reinstall.

#6 6 years ago
Quoted from Majdi:

Also in this audio chain, check placement and test:
C43/36 (2 uF), C31/34 (1uF)
Definitely make sure that you used the 2uFs in that kit for C43 and C36.

These are now 2.2uFs, as specified in the GPE kit. I assumed the 2.0uFs were not widely available? Could that be the cause of the "clipped" high end?

Quoted from Majdi:

If that is not enlightening, continue:
Check C19, C24, C25, C27, C28 and C29 (make sure they are correct value, and test okay.)
In order: C19/24/25/28 == 1uF, C27 == 1000 uF, C29 == 470 uF.

These are all correct and were replaced as part of the Cap refresh. Not sure how I can test them though?

Failing that we need to start considering replacing some of your ceramics.
Don't shotgun these yet (let's figure out the new problem first), but these are all part
of what shapes tone in this circuit:
C21 (100 pF), C32 (68 pF), C23 (0.47 uF), C30 (0.1 uF)

I guess I could just shotgun replace all these. The shipping cost is more than the components, and the thought of replacing each one and then retesting the board seems like a lot of extra work.

Your pots probably just needed a cleaning. If you can clean them carefully and get them working smoothly I'd be tempted to reinstall.

I had the same thought and cleaned and tested them on the bench and re-installed them. They seem to be working okay, though the actual impact of adjusting them is a bit strange. I have the sound volume at max as that seemed to provide the best high-end sounds, but the speech one goes to distortion when set higher than about 50%. I suppose the pre-amp is being overdriven at higher volume. Would there be a way to improve them via component replacement? Certainly the speech sounds very low freq. and like it is missing the higher freq. vs. the sounds themselves. All the sound on this game is pretty low freq. heavy though.

I also replaced the orig. speaker with a spare Infinity-brand car audio speaker I had pulled from a vehicle a few years back, new one is rated 4 Ohm and 20V, but has a much larger magnet.

#7 6 years ago
Quoted from Fytr:

These are now 2.2uFs, as specified in the GPE kit. I assumed the 2.0uFs were not widely available? Could that be the cause of the "clipped" high end?

These are all correct and were replaced as part of the Cap refresh. Not sure how I can test them though?

I guess I could just shotgun replace all these. The shipping cost is more than the components, and the thought of replacing each one and then retesting the board seems like a lot of extra work.

I had the same thought and cleaned and tested them on the bench and re-installed them. They seem to be working okay, though the actual impact of adjusting them is a bit strange. I have the sound volume at max as that seemed to provide the best high-end sounds, but the speech one goes to distortion when set higher than about 50%. I suppose the pre-amp is being overdriven at higher volume. Would there be a way to improve them via component replacement? Certainly the speech sounds very low freq. and like it is missing the higher freq. vs. the sounds themselves. All the sound on this game is pretty low freq. heavy though.
I also replaced the orig. speaker with a spare Infinity-brand car audio speaker I had pulled from a vehicle a few years back, new one is rated 4 Ohm and 20V, but has a much larger magnet.

2.2 is definitely the common value, and yes, a 10% shift in value could affect tone a bit, but let's work through the others before we try locating 2 uF caps.

Testing them would require lifting one leg and using an LC meter, if you have access to one.

And yes, beyond 50% on the speech pot you might be overdriving the pre-amp that mixes the speech and other sounds for the rest of the audio chain. That would definitely cause distortion.

The only way to improve it would be to bypass that part of the audio chain, take it off board, and build a couple of stage, more linear audio amp, that then injects the mixed audio back onto the board. Doable, but probably not worth it if you've had better audio before and we can get you more or less back into that state.

As for shipping, try digging through the "ceramic capacitor kits" listed on Amazon or eBay. I bet you can find one with all the values you need and then some for ~$10.

#8 6 years ago
Quoted from Majdi:

Definitely make sure that you used the 2uFs in that kit for C43 and C36

In the spirit of experimentation I went ahead and swapped these out for 1.8uF caps. I also replaced the 1k ohm volume pots on the board with new ones. At first I thought things had improved somewhat but when I went to adjust the vol pot ALL the sound cut out.

Restarting the game fixed things but after a few mins sound would cut out again and I noticed the green LED would stay lit on the board when this happens. Could the onboard amp be being overdriven?

So I pulled the board and replaced the volume pot with a 380 ohm resistor. Game seems to work again but haven't ran it very long. Sound seems the same as before, the only thing that improves the highs in the speech is to crank the speech volume pot, but then it distorts like crazy.

So I'll probably put the 2.2 uF caps back in and try another new 1k ohm vol pot tomorrow.

#9 6 years ago

C36 and 43 are simply DC blockers. These two won't change the sound freqs.

Couple things to check. First - where are the two sets of volume adjustment jumpers? One pair for speech and one pair for sound. Are they selecting the pot's or are they selecting the two DAC functions from U13? Or hopefully not both and the digital adjustment isn't fighting with the pot adjustment.

If both sound and speech have problems -- check the area where they have shared circuitry. That would mainly be the audio amp. Sound could be distorted due to one of the two (sound/speech) inputs distorting the other.
Remove C25 and see if sound improves. If not, put C25 back and remove C34 to see if speech improves.
The U14 /U18 area is where I would focus attention.

#10 6 years ago
Quoted from G-P-E:

C36 and 43 are simply DC blockers. These two won't change the sound freqs.
Couple things to check. First - where are the two sets of volume adjustment jumpers? One pair for speech and one pair for sound. Are they selecting the pot's or are they selecting the two DAC functions from U13? Or hopefully not both and the digital adjustment isn't fighting with the pot adjustment.
If both sound and speech have problems -- check the area where they have shared circuitry. That would mainly be the audio amp. Sound could be distorted due to one of the two (sound/speech) inputs distorting the other.
Remove C25 and see if sound improves. If not, put C25 back and remove C34 to see if speech improves.
The U14 /U18 area is where I would focus attention.

The sound isn't distorting, just the speech. They both have somewhat clipped high frequencies, but really noticeable on the speech.

Jumpers are set to N (remote speech pot) and DD (remote sound pot), and M and CC are not connected (as expected).

After reading more details on the Squak and Talk board (http://www.pinrepair.com/bally/squawk.htm) I see that it intentionally filters and drops off volume for higher frequencies. I think what I am experiencing may be considered normal for this game/board.

I do wonder if using the computer controlled volume instead of the onboard pots might provide a bit more control to try to get the maximum speech volume/clarity vs. distortion. Does Medusa have the audit settings to adjust the sound and speech volume? What audit #s are they (nothing in the manual)?

Finally, my sound board has started to lock up since I put the 1.8uF caps in yesterday to C36, C43 (could be a coincidence in terms of timing). I replaced those with the 2.2uF ones again, but now when the board is cold it boots fine, but will lockup/quit producing sound after a minute or so. Once it's warm it will not boot at all (no flicker on the LED, stays solid). Letting it cool for a few minutes it will boot again, but lockup after a min. or so, etc.).

I pulled the following values from the S&T test-points (all VDC):

TP1: 0.03
TP2: Couldn't locate this TP?
TP3: 13.9
TP4: -4.8
TP5: 3.0
TP6: 2.0
TP7: 0.3
TP8: 2.4
TP9: 1.2
TP10: 4.0
TP11: 1.3
TP12: 4.6

Both the SPB and the S&T have had their caps replaced in the last month or so.

Thanks for the help!

#11 6 years ago

... well, that sucks. Bad via, plated hole or trace somewhere?

Muted highs -- high frequencies are purposely clipped by the low pass filters (U13). But need to get the board working reliably before diving into this.

TP1 is your ground pin. This is the pin you use for your meter ground for all measurements. This assumes you have a good, solid ground connection to J1 pins 6 and 14.
TP2 is your main, 5V power. Measure him at a logic device such as pin 1 of U16 or pin 14 of U15.
TP3 is your 12V in... unregulated so 13.9 is ok.
TP4 is your -5V. At -4.8, he's within spec.
TP5 and TP6 control volume levels -- will be between 0 and 5 depending on where POT is turned.
TP7 Thru TP11 are all active signals which are intended to be monitored with either a logic analyzer (TP8, 10, 11) or an o'scope (TP10).
TP12 is CPU reset. A voltage lower than ~0.8 will reset the CPU, a voltage higher than ~2.4 will allow CPU to run. At 4.6 - this says reset is released (CPU allowed to run) and that level almost says your TP2 5V power is good as well. But good to measure the 5V anyways.

One place worth looking at is the condition of diodes CR2, CR3 and CR4. The sole purpose of these three is to reduce the 12V (13.9 in your case) down closer to 10V to relieve some of the heat from VR1 (LM323). They dissipate roughly 0.7 volts each with the full current load of the entire digital circuitry on them -- they can get quite hot.

#12 6 years ago
Quoted from G-P-E:

... well, that sucks. Bad via, plated hole or trace somewhere?
Muted highs -- high frequencies are purposely clipped by the low pass filters (U13). But need to get the board working reliably before diving into this.
TP1 is your ground pin. This is the pin you use for your meter ground for all measurements. This assumes you have a good, solid ground connection to J1 pins 6 and 14.
TP2 is your main, 5V power. Measure him at a logic device such as pin 1 of U16 or pin 14 of U15.
TP3 is your 12V in... unregulated so 13.9 is ok.
TP4 is your -5V. At -4.8, he's within spec.
TP5 and TP6 control volume levels -- will be between 0 and 5 depending on where POT is turned.
TP7 Thru TP11 are all active signals which are intended to be monitored with either a logic analyzer (TP8, 10, 11) or an o'scope (TP10).
TP12 is CPU reset. A voltage lower than ~0.8 will reset the CPU, a voltage higher than ~2.4 will allow CPU to run. At 4.6 - this says reset is released (CPU allowed to run) and that level almost says your TP2 5V power is good as well. But good to measure the 5V anyways.
One place worth looking at is the condition of diodes CR2, CR3 and CR4. The sole purpose of these three is to reduce the 12V (13.9 in your case) down closer to 10V to relieve some of the heat from VR1 (LM323). They dissipate roughly 0.7 volts each with the full current load of the entire digital circuitry on them -- they can get quite hot.

Okay I read 4.98v at pin 35 on U1.

The CR2-4 diodes look good and test at 14.72v coming in to cr2 and 12.5v coming out of cr4.

I'm going to reflow connector pins...

#13 6 years ago

One other detail is that it might not be temp. related. Had the gane one for 15 mins taking readings, rebooted and it came up fine. Worked for about a minute, then s&t locked with the green led on again.

Other times the led stays lite the whole time at boot.

What would cause the led to lite again after successful boot?

#14 6 years ago
Quoted from Fytr:

One other detail is that it might not be temp. related. Had the gane one for 15 mins taking readings, rebooted and it came up fine. Worked for about a minute, then s&t locked with the green led on again.
Other times the led stays lite the whole time at boot.
What would cause the led to lite again after successful boot?

PIA port CA2 turns on a transistor which turns on the LED. The CPU crashing would be likely cause. I think it stays off unless the board is in the power on self test routine.

#15 6 years ago
Quoted from barakandl:

PIA port CA2 turns on a transistor which turns on the LED. The CPU crashing would be likely cause. I think it stays off unless the board is in the power on self test routine.

I guess the 6808 might be starting to flake out. I have a spare 6800 chip, could I use it in this board?

#16 6 years ago

No, 6808 is a 6802 without built in RAM. Not a 6800.

If you haven't already, you may want to change the factory ROM sockets. They can cause the program to crash. Of course, it could be the 40 pin CPU socket too.

#17 6 years ago

Reflowed pins on all sockets. No loose chips in the sockets. Swapped U11 with one from another board. No change.

So in the game the S&T either locks on led lit (no flicker or flashes) at boot, or occasionally boots successfully. When it boots successfully it works for about a minute then locks up, led on.

I tested the board on the bench using a pc power supply, 12v to J1 p10. Boots fine everytime, getting 4 flashes. Is that normal if the 8912 isn't present (to only see four flashes)?

I don't have a speaker connected so can't tell if it's actually producing sounds though. Also, pressing self-test never causes the board to reboot at the end of the sequence like it normally would when in the game and working.

Put board back in game, boots the first time, but not getting sounds anymore, just speech and noises. After first boot locks up and the led stays lit upon subsequent reboots. Usually if I disconnect it and wait a few minutes it will boot again the next time (once).

Possible bad u11 causing no sounds? Could swap it back again.

Any ideas?

#18 6 years ago

Okay, swapped out the 6808 ic and my s&t is back in business.

So I moved the jumpers from 'N' to 'M' and 'DD' to 'CC' so I could take the preamp volume pots out of the equation and use the digital vol. controls via audit settings #20 (sound) and #21 (speech) instead. It was a bit tedious to keep going back into these audit settings to make adjustments but I eventually settled on sound = 14 and speech = 6. These values make the sound nice and present and the speech as clear as I can get it before the compression 'hiss' starts to be audible. The speech really starts to distort above 8 or so as well.

The speech is still lacking in highs but I understand that this is an artifact of the sound board implementation intended to avoid harsh compression artifacts.

At some point I may play around with R9 which controls the speech timing to see if I can raise its frequencies slightly. I tested my R9 and it's reading 137 Ohms.

I'll post here if I do the R9 experiment in the future.

Thanks for the help guys!

6 months later
#19 6 years ago

This thread was very helpful to me, thanks! It made me realize that my jumpers were backwards for the sound pots and that the previous owner had them set to bypass the sound and speech pots on the board. I needed the pots to be working, and what I read about them on the schematics was confusing enough that I thought they were in the right way.

I changed them from "M" to "N", and "CC" to "DD" and I have sound, and working pots! Cheers.

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
Wanted
Machine - Wanted
West Point, UT
Playfield - Other
Bob's Pinball Stuff

$ 69.00
Gameroom - Decorations
Pinball Pimp

$ 10.00
Playfield - Plastics
UpKick Pinball

$ 18.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

£ 195.00
$ 139.00
Cabinet - Other
Pinball Pimp

Playfield - Protection
UpKick Pinball

$ 119.95
Boards
Allteksystems

$ 18.00
Electronics
Yorktown Arcade Supply

$ 69.00
Playfield - Plastics
Pinball Shark

$ 10.00
$ 22.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 8.00
Electronics
Third Coast Pinball

Great pinball charity
Pinball Edu

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/medusa-has-muted-highs-after-cap-refresh and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.