• Latest reply 5 years ago by Quench
  • No one calls this topic a favorite

You

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

IMG_1283 (resized).jpg
IMG_1044 (resized).jpg

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider rack-em-up.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#1 5 years ago

Help! I only have one remaining issue with my new Medusa. The game is so much fun I could probably ignore the issue and play it forever just the way it is, BUT...

When the game starts drop targets 2 and 4 are up. It's my understanding that only drop target 4 should be up at the start of the game. According to some of the Pinside research that I've done thus far this problem could be caused by a bad or missing diode on one of the games solenoids. I've not yet checked for missing or bad diodes but I will pretty soon.

After looking at the schematics which pertain to the 7 drop targets I realized that I don't have a very good understanding of how these particular drop targets work. Unlike the 4 drop target bank, the 7 drop target bank appears to have some sort of coil associated with each drop target.

Would someone please explain how these things work. Thanks.

#3 5 years ago

The previous owner of my Medusa corrected that problem by putting several layers of duct tape across the metal cover on the bottom of the drop target bank. I was going to remove the tape until I realized why it was there. It works perfectly to keep the down drop targets at the right height. The tape goes all the way across the inside of the cover. Ends of the tape strips can bee seen in the attached picture. (The tape appears to have been there for many years.)

IMG_1044 (resized).jpgIMG_1044 (resized).jpg
#5 5 years ago

Thanks Quench! I'll get it working properly one of these days and let you know what I find. For now, I'm just trying to gain a better understanding of how the 7 target bank operates (from both a mechanical and electrical perspective.)

1. Do the individual solenoids drop the targets by tapping the targets midsection? 2. Do the individual solenoids operate before, after or at the same time as the reset solenoids?

#7 5 years ago

Thanks!

#8 5 years ago

Quench, you it the nail on the head! The solenoid self test showed that the #2 drop target solenoid was not working. When I lifted the playfield I found that the gray-white (95) wire was broken off the #2 drop target solenoid. (The gray-red (91) was still connected.)

Looks like it would be nearly impossible (at least for me) to solder this wire back to the solenoid lug without damaging something. Should the entire drop target mechanism be removed before attempting this fix? If so, any tips on removing it properly?

IMG_1283 (resized).jpgIMG_1283 (resized).jpg
Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 90.00
Playfield - Protection
UpKick Pinball

$ 69.00
Gameroom - Decorations
Pinball Pimp

$ 10.00
$ 25.00
Electronics
Yorktown Arcade Supply

Wanted
Machine - Wanted
West Point, UT
$ 22.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 69.00
Playfield - Plastics
Pinball Shark

$ 139.00
Cabinet - Other
Pinball Pimp

$ 10.00
Playfield - Plastics
UpKick Pinball

£ 195.00
$ 18.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider rack-em-up.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/medusa-drop-targets?tu=rack-em-up and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.