Topic poll

“Are your lights like this?”

• Yes 1 vote
    50%
  • No 1 vote
    50%

(2 votes by 0 Pinsiders)

#1 8 years ago

I noticed that my game attract lights are much faster than other Medusa games I have seen. Is this programming? I would like the slower pattern. Any thoughts?

#2 8 years ago

Did you install LEDs?

#3 8 years ago

No, standard bulbs. It has always been this way. I have owed this machine for 25 years.

#4 8 years ago

Wow, that is strange. Can you try another MPU board, maybe even an Alltek?

#5 8 years ago
Quoted from swampfire:

Wow, that is strange. Can you try another MPU board, maybe even an Alltek?

My first thought was that it WAS an Alltek, with the MPU jumpered to run at Stern MPU-200 clock speed. But the OP stated that the board is original. It's a very interesting mystery.
--
Chris Hibler - CARGPB #31
http://www.Team-EM.com
http://webpages.charter.net/chibler/Pinball/index.htm
http://www.PinWiki.com - The Place to go for Pinball Repair Info

#6 8 years ago

It does have all Bally boards. I have vector and centaur, I could try some swaps.

#7 8 years ago
Quoted from 5280wzrd:

It does have all Bally boards. I have vector and centaur, I could try some swaps.

That would be interesting to do.
It almost has to be something with the MPU.
--
http://chrishiblerpinball.com/contact/

#8 8 years ago

Never swaped those mpus. What prom(s) need to be switched? Could it be a prom?

#9 8 years ago

You have to confirm that both boards are using the same type of EPROMs or Mask Roms.

The usual suspects are 9332, 2532, or 2732. The board must be jumpered ( or rejumpered) to match the type of U2 and U6.

#10 8 years ago

Without looking it up, some if not all 3 games may share the same U6 part number and therefore contain the same code/programming.

#11 8 years ago
Quoted from CactusJack:

You have to confirm that both boards are using the same type of EPROMs or Mask Roms.
The usual suspects are 9332, 2532, or 2732. The board must be jumpered ( or rejumpered) to match the type of U2 and U6.

Yup. Unfortunately. It might be more hassle than it's worth to you.
--
http://chrishiblerpinball.com/contact/

#13 8 years ago

I went to the Sanctum last night and took a look at the attract lights. It is also fast. That just might be the way it is.

#14 8 years ago

I just checked mine - each light comes on about twice a second, definitely much slower than in the video.

#15 8 years ago

What DMM do you have? Can you check a frequency / clock speed?

Check the CPU clock speed. Dual clocks on the U9 CPU chip at P3 and P37. Average bally clock speed is around 0.5MHz, but the components that set the speed are 10% tolerance, so you could have something drifted out of spec.

I am not sure how much the CPU clock speed would change attract mode though. Some of that stuff is timed by an interrupt generated by the zero crossing circuit. Easy thing to check if you have the right tools to do so.

#16 8 years ago
Quoted from barakandl:

What DMM do you have? Can you check a frequency / clock speed?
Check the CPU clock speed. Dual clocks on the U9 CPU chip at P3 and P37. Average bally clock speed is around 0.5MHz, but the components that set the speed are 10% tolerance, so you could have something drifted out of spec.
I am not sure how much the CPU clock speed would change attract mode though. Some of that stuff is timed by an interrupt generated by the zero crossing circuit. Easy thing to check if you have the right tools to do so.

You're right, attract mode is all timed by the zero-crossing. You should check that - but you will need a scope.

#17 8 years ago

I have a scope, tell me what to look at...

#18 8 years ago

CPU clock speed @ U9 P3 and P37. 5vdc around 0.5MHz

I doubt the zero crossing could be out of time, but check U10 P18 5vdc 120Hz

is it possible there is multiple game rom revisions with different attract modes?? Does anything in game act up?

#19 8 years ago

I'll bring my scope home and check into it. Game plays without problems (other than the typical fantom bumper fire). I wondered about the two rom possibility.

#20 8 years ago
Quoted from 5280wzrd:

I'll bring my scope home and check into it. Game plays without problems (other than the typical fantom bumper fire). I wondered about the two rom possibility.

Maybe try different ROMs in the virtual pinball thing and see what attract mode is like

#21 8 years ago

It's also worth checking the frequency of the display interrupt generator at U12 pin 3. Should be a short pulse at approx 350Hz. It's called the display interrupt, but it's just a timed interrupt so they could be incrementing counters, etc... during that interrupt routine which could effect something like the attract mode light show timing.

I had a Stern Dracula once where everything started going really slowly. Something had gone out of spec in the clock circuit. It was really weird.

#22 8 years ago
Quoted from Lindsey:

It's also worth checking the frequency of the display interrupt generator at U12 pin 3. Should be a short pulse at approx 350Hz. It's called the display interrupt, but it's just a timed interrupt so they could be incrementing counters, etc... during that interrupt routine which could effect something like the attract mode light show timing.
I had a Stern Dracula once where everything started going really slowly. Something had gone out of spec in the clock circuit. It was really weird.

I've disassembled the code to the Bally system (not that particular game, but still). The display interrupt generator is just used for displays, nothing else. The zero crossing interrupt increments the counters and timers.

#23 8 years ago
Quoted from hackbar:

I've disassembled the code to the Bally system (not that particular game, but still). The display interrupt generator is just used for displays, nothing else. The zero crossing interrupt increments the counters and timers.

What could happen when the display interrupt us out of time the CPU could get bogged down dealing with the interrupts. When the cap/resistor drift out of spec from corrosion, I have seen it make the CPU board operate in slow motion.

#24 8 years ago
Quoted from hackbar:

Interesting stuff! It would be really cool to see someone post a commented decompile of some code for the classic Bally/Stern system.

We can be pretty sure that the zero cross frequency coming into the game is accurate. The power company would probably notice otherwise

#25 8 years ago
Quoted from Lindsey:

We can be pretty sure that the zero cross frequency coming into the game is accurate. The power company would probably notice otherwise

pretty smart to use the 120hz from the power company as a known consistent timer.

WMS used the CPU clock and a 4020 counter to trigger the interupt. Reading the bally theory of operation, they say turning the lamps on and off between the cycles actually makes the lamps last longer due to less stress on the filament.

#26 8 years ago

That makes sense. Should be easier on the solenoid driver transistors and coil diodes as well turning them on and off in sync with the zero cross.

#27 8 years ago
Quoted from hackbar:

Does the code make some calculations or adjustments for when AC line frequency is only 50 Hz ( only 100 X second)?

#28 8 years ago
Quoted from barakandl:

What could happen when the display interrupt us out of time the CPU could get bogged down dealing with the interrupts. When the cap/resistor drift out of spec from corrosion, I have seen it make the CPU board operate in slow motion.

That's true, but in this case he said it was running fast.

Quoted from Lindsey:

Interesting stuff! It would be really cool to see someone post a commented decompile of some code for the classic Bally/Stern system.

Technically the disssembled code is still copyrighted by Bally, even with my comments, variable names, marcos, etc. It's now in a weird state where both Bally and myself own the copyright. So I can't distribute it.

Quoted from CactusJack:

Does the code make some calculations or adjustments for when AC line frequency is only 50 Hz ( only 100 X second)?

No. They might have made export ROMS, but I only have access to US games (and thus the ROMS). There is no frequency detection.

3 months later
#29 8 years ago

Did you ever fix this?

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 18.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 10.00
Wanted
Machine - Wanted
West Point, UT
$ 30.00
Lighting - Led
Pinballrom

$ 10.00
Playfield - Plastics
UpKick Pinball

$ 22.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 8.00
Electronics
Third Coast Pinball

$ 69.00
Playfield - Plastics
Pinball Shark

£ 195.00
$ 5.95
Playfield - Protection
The Pinball Scientist

7,000 (Firm)
Machine - For Sale
Reno, NV
$ 25.00
Electronics
Yorktown Arcade Supply

$ 69.00
Gameroom - Decorations
Pinball Pimp

$ 22.50
$ 55.00
Displays
PinballSolutions.eu

$ 90.00
Playfield - Protection
UpKick Pinball

$ 139.00
Cabinet - Other
Pinball Pimp

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/medusa-attract-lights-too-fast and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.