38FB0E4A-316B-4E8D-9218-E1E1127B40C4 (resized).jpeg
D9E766E7-A632-44DF-BB2C-4010E1ED8E82 (resized).jpeg
F7ACBAEE-8EDF-4FB2-81CB-EDA9DF1EE344 (resized).jpeg
9E119FC9-BB3A-4F3B-9D16-8A4296F350FD (resized).jpeg
3D1735A5-3341-4F8A-B2A7-5E34D7A3956C (resized).jpeg
489133AC-3FE4-4361-A527-3D2F25F2BC4E (resized).jpeg
79D7C666-7529-465F-BBCE-DB5046EA1CE4 (resized).jpeg
4F1E30C3-0063-4E10-BDFE-653F2E9D3972 (resized).jpeg
There are 295 posts in this topic. You are on page 4 of 6.
#151 6 years ago

I was able to get the light panel wet sanded, cut and buffed. The 3" buffer wasn't cutting it so I rigged up a jig to hold the panel in place so I could pull out the 7" makita.

IMG_3156 (resized).JPGIMG_3156 (resized).JPG
There's that pretty shine.

IMG_3157 (resized).JPGIMG_3157 (resized).JPGIMG_3158 (resized).JPGIMG_3158 (resized).JPG
I'm struggling to fine a suitable powder coat match to the automotive gold. It doesn't have to be exact but close. I've already burned through 6 samples. I'm not sure how many more they'll send me. LOL.

#152 6 years ago

I hate making stupid simple mistakes. I was working on adding a medusa "M" to the coin door insert blank. All was well until the paint mask left some glue residue. Instead of waiting for the gold to dry, I messed with getting off and nicked a fraction of the gold. Enough to have to redo it again.

Masked and gold shot.

IMG_3161 (resized).JPGIMG_3161 (resized).JPG
My stupid mistake

IMG_3162 (resized).JPGIMG_3162 (resized).JPG
Mocked-up to see how it looks. Other than my screwup, it looks sweet imo. Time to redo it.

IMG_3163 (resized).JPGIMG_3163 (resized).JPG

#153 6 years ago

And redone. IMG_3164 (resized).JPGIMG_3164 (resized).JPGIMG_3165 (resized).JPGIMG_3165 (resized).JPG

#154 6 years ago

That coin door is slick

#155 6 years ago
Quoted from Skins:

No, in order to sand and level the clear without going through the clear to the color base coat, it has to be relatively thick. The plus side is you can't feel the stencil edges at all when it's all said and done. It's completely smooth when done. I would guess 4 coats.

What about the time between each coat? Thanks!

#156 6 years ago

2 coats wet on wet 2-5 mins between. I then let it set 30-45 mins and repeat one more wet on wet application.

#157 6 years ago

This would be a great time to show you protective gear!

#158 6 years ago
Quoted from eh97ac:

This would be a great time to show you protective gear!

Besides my positively charged spray booth that ejects vapors and particulate nearly immediately, this is all I need/use

IMG_3178 (resized).JPGIMG_3178 (resized).JPG

#159 6 years ago

Do you foresee yourself possibly clearing playfields at some point?

#160 6 years ago

I'm going to try clearing my cpr silver myself. The existing clear is abysmal. I see how that goes.

#161 6 years ago

Looking forward to seeing how you tackle a playfield, @skins. I have really enjoyed this thread and gotten some ideas!

#162 6 years ago
Quoted from Skins:

I'm going to try clearing my cpr silver myself. The existing clear is abysmal. I see how that goes.

Let me know, I got one I would like to clear.

#163 6 years ago
Quoted from xeneize:

Looking forward to seeing how you tackle a playfield, skins. I have really enjoyed this thread and gotten some ideas!

Thank you.

Quoted from KornFreak28:

Let me know, I got one I would like to clear.

We'll see how it goes. I'm a little ways off before I tackle that. I need to build a playfield jig too.

#164 6 years ago
Quoted from Skins:

Besides my positively charged spray booth that ejects vapors and particulate nearly immediately, this is all I need/use

Is your spray booth diy? Do you have any pictures of it or did you follow a build guide if it is DIY? Love your work.

#165 6 years ago

Wow..just Wow

#166 6 years ago
Quoted from roar:

Is your spray booth diy? Do you have any pictures of it or did you follow a build guide if it is DIY? Love your work.

Thank you. No it's not a traditional spray booth, it's diy. Nothing over the top. I just followed online guides for sizing the intake fan to sufficiently pressurize the room. With the window in the room open the pressurized air rushes out the window to try to equalize the pressure. The room clears in moments. The room itself is just half my garage finished with the intake fan mounted in the wall. Like I said, nothing fancy but is highly effective in evacuating noxious odors and overspray.

Thank you.

#167 6 years ago

If you're doing 2 part clear please at least wear sealed goggles with that respirator. You don't want to mess with that stuff when it comes to your squishy bits.

#168 6 years ago

Lots of gold done today.

Coin door trim/hardware, neck vent screen and hinges.
IMG_3221 (resized).JPGIMG_3221 (resized).JPG

I also bought new side rails. I had new side rails custom cut with medusa that were measured wrong and showed the plastic glass channel through the cut out. I instead went the stencil route on the new one. The saving to not recut them paid for my vinyl plotter purchase.

Primed
IMG_3211 (resized).JPGIMG_3211 (resized).JPG

Red laid and stencil in place
IMG_3212 (resized).JPGIMG_3212 (resized).JPG

Gold shot
IMG_3214 (resized).JPGIMG_3214 (resized).JPG

Stencil removed and clear shot
IMG_3218 (resized).JPGIMG_3218 (resized).JPG

Mocked-up on the cabinet. We have a winner.

IMG_3220 (resized).JPGIMG_3220 (resized).JPG

I will sand and buff them and the coin door tomorrow.

#169 6 years ago

Switching gears to powder coating. The backside of the coin door will be powder coated. I hope the red I picked is close enough to the cab. It doesn't need to be perfect just close. IMG_3222 (resized).JPGIMG_3222 (resized).JPG

#170 6 years ago

So no luck on the powder I picked. Way too purple.
IMG_3231 (resized).JPGIMG_3231 (resized).JPG

That means I have to paint everything. Since I was painting, I went gold. Lots and lots of gold.

IMG_3232 (resized).JPGIMG_3232 (resized).JPG

#171 6 years ago

Coin door is going to look great when it's all back together. IMG_3236 (resized).JPGIMG_3236 (resized).JPG

#172 6 years ago

Finished up the shooter rod. Pretty snazzy. IMG_3237 (resized).JPGIMG_3237 (resized).JPGIMG_3238 (resized).JPGIMG_3238 (resized).JPG

#173 6 years ago
Quoted from Skins:

With the window in the room open the pressurized air rushes out the window to try to equalize the pressure. The room clears in moments. The room itself is just half my garage finished with the intake fan mounted in the wall. Like I said, nothing fancy but is highly effective in evacuating noxious odors and overspray.

....of course, your neighbor looks like The Elephant Man!

#174 6 years ago

So impressed with the level of detail. You make me wish to step up the game.

#175 6 years ago
Quoted from Skypilot:

So impressed with the level of detail. You make me wish to step up the game.

Thanks man. I appreciate it.

#176 6 years ago

Coin door going back together.
IMG_3244 (resized).JPGIMG_3244 (resized).JPG

I love making stupid mistakes. I knew the coin door blank was taller than it was wide. I still somehow stenciled it the wrong way. I guess I get to do it again. I'm not liking the pricing inserts. It really clashes with the color scheme. I'm probably going to get 2 more blanks and stencil "free play".
IMG_3242 (resized).JPGIMG_3242 (resized).JPG

#177 6 years ago

Are you going to use a new cpr plastic set ? If so two coin inserts are included in the set .

IMG_4726 (resized).JPGIMG_4726 (resized).JPG

#178 6 years ago

I have a cpr set but never looked at them. Not sure if my set had them in it. Either way, I think the black clashes with my color scheme to a certain degree.

#179 6 years ago

You got me wondering. My set is sealed with the pps hologram. No pricing inserts. A key fob and two large circle plastics. Maybe my set was from and older run?

#180 6 years ago

Looks like the Bally on the coin door is off center? Door still looks amazing though.

#181 6 years ago

Indeed a key fob and two circle plastics and normally two pricings inserts but mine was delivered with one only .

Here a picture of the inside of the coindoor not gold but the second place, chrome and red

IMG_4727 (resized).JPGIMG_4727 (resized).JPG

#182 6 years ago

I wasn't going to strip it and redo it for what amounts to about a 1/4" difference. Split between the two sides thats a negligible 1/8". If I was doing it for someone else, I would. For me, it's perfectly acceptable. IMG_3249 (resized).JPGIMG_3249 (resized).JPGIMG_3251 (resized).JPGIMG_3251 (resized).JPG

#183 6 years ago

Lockdown receiver back in placeIMG_3253 (resized).JPGIMG_3253 (resized).JPG

#184 6 years ago

Awesome attention to detail!

#185 6 years ago

This thread, and Crazy Mansion are the two best threads on Pinside!

I get chills, with every picture you post!

I honestly believe its needs a giant plexi museum box to display it in, and control the environment!

#186 6 years ago
Quoted from bjsilverballs:

Looks like the Bally on the coin door is off center? Door still looks amazing though.

Looks like something happened when he imported the Bally logo. It's not the same proportions as the regular door decal. The right side of the lowercase a should be right about the center line.. but see how in this rough overlay his gold letters are closer in the lly then they are in the B

The blue here is a rough approximation how it should look, you can see his gold letters behind
door-overlay (resized).jpgdoor-overlay (resized).jpg

#187 6 years ago

I really like the painted lockdown bar receiver. Everything looks great.

#188 6 years ago

That,s going to be a priceless Medusa !

#189 6 years ago

Is it wrong that I look at Medusa and get hard?

#190 6 years ago
Quoted from spfxted:

Is it wrong that I look at Medusa and get hard?

Tmi, Ted.

So I have to do the "M" coin blank, should I do the medusa head or "free play" on the other two? I already cut them and the head cut nice so no worries on the small size detail. Free play makes more sense but the heads look cool. IMG_3267 (resized).JPGIMG_3267 (resized).JPG

#191 6 years ago

The Head.

Mike Teds Night!

#192 6 years ago

I like the Free Play for the coin slots and prefer the head over the M... though whatever you choose will look amazing!

#193 6 years ago

I'm about to start a medusa restore, I don't plan to go with this degree of detail.

I'm impressed, following with anticipation

#194 6 years ago

Thanks guys.

I ended up going Medusa head. Looks pretty sweet. They are still wet. I hope it's not too much red side by side. I can't wait until they're dry to see. IMG_3268 (resized).JPGIMG_3268 (resized).JPG

#195 6 years ago

That's the ticket. Turned out great. The "M" is a tiny bit high but there is zero chance of me doing it again for a 4th time. IMG_3269 (resized).JPGIMG_3269 (resized).JPG

#196 6 years ago
Quoted from Skins:

That's the ticket. Turned out great. The "M" is a tiny bit high but there is zero chance of me doing it again for a 4th time.

Yup, that looks boss!

Quoted from Skins:

Thanks Mike.
I'm trying to get primer on this weekend but I have my doubts. Getting the head back in shape has been rough. It was in bad, bad shape. Small update. The back panel of the head is made of pressed board and is swollen and warped in places. I first lightweight filled the major areas and then sanded and leveled. After that I skimmed the whole thing with glazing putty.
After block sanding the glazing putty, you're left with this. The spots of red are filler in the porous areas of the pressed board and over all low spots.
A couple thoughts. I'm still impressed with my choice to go with a new filler as opposed to using bondo. With bondo, I was constantly fighting gummed up sandpaper. Now I don't replace sand paper unless it's worn. No gumming. It makes up its cost alone in wasted sand paper. Curing times are still consistent it still applies buttery smooth.
The other thought is how did I live so long without a good quality air powered sander. On all my other restorations, I used an electric orbital sander. They're heavy, loud and difficult to adjust the speed on the fly. With an air powered sander, I can feather the speed with the air paddle or permantly throttle it with the regulator on the side of the sander. It makes feathering seem almost too easy. I don't know how got along without it.
Fingers crossed I get into primer today...

What glazing puddy are you using and where did you buy it?

I'd like to get away from bondo as well if I can

#197 6 years ago

Medusa has some of the best artwork on a pin I've ever seen. Great job on this. It's a wishlist pin for me.

I can really appreciate your effort to get the cabinet back together. I didn't know about using resin until now. Cheers!

#198 6 years ago

Final coin door pictures I swear.
Brand new coin door harness soldered in. I also switched out and added bayonet lamps holders in the event I ever go back to regular pricing inserts. Door back in place. Yes I know I have one wire loom screw gold and the other two are red. They were all supposed to be red. I wasn't about to redo on tiny screw. Call it a design flair, lol. I wanted to make a new lockout coil wrapper but there wasn't one on my typical site. IMG_3283 (resized).JPGIMG_3283 (resized).JPGIMG_3285 (resized).JPGIMG_3285 (resized).JPGIMG_3284 (resized).JPGIMG_3284 (resized).JPGIMG_3286 (resized).JPGIMG_3286 (resized).JPG

#199 6 years ago

Time to redo do the crappy, ugly beat up and torn foil faced cardboard ground panel.
IMG_3296 (resized).JPGIMG_3296 (resized).JPGIMG_3300 (resized).JPGIMG_3300 (resized).JPGIMG_3298 (resized).JPGIMG_3298 (resized).JPG

I picked up a cheap metal brake and cut the sheets to size.
IMG_3287 (resized).JPGIMG_3287 (resized).JPGIMG_3301 (resized).JPGIMG_3301 (resized).JPG

And it's all done. Looks great. I still have to transfer trough holes and staple it in place.
IMG_3293 (resized).JPGIMG_3293 (resized).JPGIMG_3290 (resized).JPGIMG_3290 (resized).JPG

IMG_3288 (resized).JPGIMG_3288 (resized).JPG

#200 6 years ago

Appropriate post for the 200th post. The cabinet is married back to the head. I still have to print cards for the head and run the ground braid. I also need to shuffle the pcb mounts to the correct locations. Next up is to get the light panel rewired. Coming along.

IMG_3305 (resized).JPGIMG_3305 (resized).JPGIMG_3304 (resized).JPGIMG_3304 (resized).JPG

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
7,000 (Firm)
Machine - For Sale
Reno, NV
£ 195.00
$ 69.00
Playfield - Plastics
Pinball Shark

$ 9.00
Cabinet Parts
Third Coast Pinball

$ 30.00
Lighting - Led
Pinballrom

$ 10.00
Playfield - Plastics
UpKick Pinball

Playfield - Protection
UpKick Pinball

$ 139.00
Cabinet - Other
Pinball Pimp

Wanted
Machine - Wanted
West Point, UT
$ 18.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 22.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 69.00
Gameroom - Decorations
Pinball Pimp

$ 18.00
Electronics
Yorktown Arcade Supply

There are 295 posts in this topic. You are on page 4 of 6.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/medusa-a-restoration-to-please-the-gods/page/4 and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.