20140501_1352551.jpg
Sharpe playing MMR.jpg
MMRCTRL.jpg
MMRUNDER2.jpg
MMRUNDER1.jpg
image-843.jpg

This topic is closed.

#1 10 years ago

Hello all, this thread will be solely dedicated to information regarding the Medieval Madness Remake by Planetary Pinball Supply. If you want an easy way to find the thread click on the 'add this topic to your favorites' tab in the right corner and it will be added to your favorites. Thanks to Pinsider MnHotRod for the idea to start a thread like this so fans of the project can keep track of what is going on with the project.

Planetary Pinball Supply's website is: http://www.planetarypinball.com/

Below is a big update provided by Planetary Pinball Supply (Pinside handle PPS) on 10/21/2013:

Quoted from PPS:

All ... a few things:
1) PPS have been going thru various game requests/interests/contacts on Monday 10/22 having returned from Expo on Sunday (as you can imagine there are alot), requests for information, etc for LE's. We will be sending an update on the next steps for the process. We have gone thru the Pinball Expo Order Forms, as well as the various Contact and LE Pre-Reserves that we have received over the weekend. The good news is that it looks that although we are very close to our 'allocation' of LE's, that all the requests that we have for LE's fall within the total LE's that we have to offer ... IE we should be good to get you an LE. We will certainly strive to find every missing request if any, etc, but please hang tight until Tuesday.
2) We have queried all of the distributors around the total LE's and the good news is that the math adds up! Total allocated LE's to distributors adds up to 1000. I also expect as we are just a couple of days into the process that they may be some people that do not respond for deposits, or have tried to order from multiple distributors, etc, so there may be some slots opening once the deposit windows close which is generally less than a week for most distributors.
3) Pricing ... we are working closely with all distributors as we are wanting as many of these games at $7995 (not counting any 'special' game # upcharges which are at the discretion of the distributors). While we cannot restrict pricing beyond certain parameters, it is always helpful to have feedback of any wide variations from this. Clearly each country adjusts for various taxes and other fees as required. We really hope that the distributors will keep to that goal of 'fair' price.
4) Game #'s ... we will be starting to handle game number requests now. Game #'s can be requested and there may be an additional fee thru the distributors for these, and more so for 'special' numbers (low #'s, etc). Please contact your MMR distributor for which you ordered the game to see if your number is available. We do not endorse game number transfers between customers, and if we find any instances we may cancel the associated order.
More will be coming soon, there are many topics we will update. Any major questions can be sent to [email protected] as it is difficult to find all the places for MMR posts to read and answer so we will try to consolidate answers (i.e. don't expect a immediate reply).
thanks!
[email protected]

Refund Policy for LE's posted by PPS.

Quoted from PPS:

Refund Policy for LE's was:
- $1000 Deposit only is required - no more should be expected/demanded
- Deposit is refundable before WMS Approval (moving us into production) on the game - this was stated to be expected by end of the year, hopefully sooner - production wants/needs to know 'firm' orders to know how many to produce. We will give notice that this happened and then I expect we expect to have any cancellations within a small number of days which we will specify.
- After that Deposit would be refunded if for any reason the project is abandoned and the games are not built (sinkhole swallows Cicero, IL, aliens invade and capture US, other less galactic reasons, etc)
For Standards's we have a little bit of time on this, but the deposit will place you 'in line' for the build - sooner we receive your deposit on this the sooner you get the game

Announcement of Standard version of Medieval Madness remake on 10/19/13:

Quoted from PPS:

Due to overwhelming demand for the Medieval Madness Limited Edition remake and to allow more people who may have missed out on having the opportunity to get an order in for the game, we have decided to announce a Standard version of Medieval Madness remake which can now also be pre-reserved with a $1000 deposit thru either Planetary Pinball Supply (www.pinball.com) or thru your local authorized distributor.
The Medieval Madness Standard will come with original trim, standard playfield clearcoat, and no shaker motor.
We are committed to insuring that people who desire this game which has been out of reach due to it’s popularity have access to the remake. The Standard Medieval Madness MSRP is $7995 and starting to build around the end of 2014.
We never imagined the level of support for the remake!

Announcement by PPS that all the LE and Standard MMR's will include a double hard coat:

Quoted from PPS:

Just got off the plane, and taking some feedback and we've decided to include to include the Double Hard Coat on all LE and Std MMR's (existing and future orders). Thanks to all of for the feedback and we are working to deliver a really great rendition of the classic.
Also ... We will be working on an FAQ today to collect all of the questions and make available by tomorrow.
thanks for the support.
[email protected]

#2 10 years ago

Below is a post by PPS today pertaining to those who ordered directly from them at the expo:

Quoted from PPS:

Hello everyone:
We have sent order confirmations to everyone who ordered a game
from PPS at Expo last weekend. 12 of these confirmations bounced.
If you didn't receive a confirmation, please email [email protected] with your name and email address.
Thanks
PPS

Update on LED's going into the machine by PPS:

Quoted from PPS:

Answer on the LED's - YES, there will be software and hardware changes - this is a native LED architecture, not retrofitted to the existing WMS WPC design ...

Post by PPS regarding approved distributors of the LE model:

Quoted from PPS:

Distributors ... here is the list of distributors who were allocated some LE's. For Standards there will be a much broader set that I will publish during the week. You want to purchase thru "Authorized" distributors as the warranty will be covered in direct sales only.
Distributors are responsibile for warranty support (local or remote), any issues that you have should be taken up directly with the distributor first - they will be responsible for obtaining service contacts if they are remote from the game.
Here are the list of LE (had games allocated) Authorized Distributors and where they are located:
Planetary Pinball Supply (CA)
pinballsales.com (NJ)
Automated Services (CT)
Ministry Of Pinball (Netherlands)
Starburst (Canada)
Pinball Heaven (UK)
Mr. Pinball Australia (AU)
Twisted Pins (ID)
Arcades at Home (IL)
I do not know the exact status of availability of LE games from most of them - my expectation is that they 'sold out' quickly, and then usually they would keep an 'overflow' list and then when a deposit does not come in then possibly there is a second chance for availability.
Also, we had a report or two of another distributor offering LE's, and in that case there was some confusion ... SO, if there is anyone other than on this list that you have 'purchased' from contact me directly.
Thanks!
[email protected]

#3 10 years ago

Posted by PPS on 10/22/13 regarding if you could order from a distributor and pick up in Chicago.

Quoted from PPS:

Someone had asked if they could order from a distributor and pick up in Cicero (Chicago), Illinois - from Chicago Gaming Company - the manufacturer - the answer is YES.

Regarding DMD color and color of habbit trails a day ago:

Quoted from PPS:

DMD Animations will be original currently are monochrome - although with a simple setting you can change the 'color' of the monochrome on the LCD to a bunch of colors (8 I think?). Next up would be the colorization, which will be done and just working on the approach for the art and the timing, etc ...

Quoted from PPS:

Brass/Gold colored ramps were standard on the game - so expect that all the games would have the original color ramps on the game regardless of the trim or the model.

#4 10 years ago

A question and answer post by PPS on 10/22/13:

Quoted from PPS:

fyi ...
1. Can you confirm that the cab will have decals or silk screening?
- Hi-Res 'new' decals created from a very nice cabinet that was sawed apart and scanned and artwork done to it.
2. I believe I understood you to say that Williams condition to doing this was it had to be an exact replica to sign off. Can you confirm?
- It has to look and play as original (as in 'look' the same +/- some minor variations due to either Copyright / Trademark requirements, or possibly some variations such as trim color, etc. It already looks similar.
3. If number 2 is accurate, what items were allowed to be deviated from the original to the new and why?
- I think i answered that above ... possibly other little things,but not much.
4. How is distrubution of completed games going to go? Is there an order to which distributors get their games in?
- Distribution I will answer in a separate reply - simple is that there will be authorized distributors that warranty is covered - if you are not authorized there will not be warranty support. For the LE's it is a small list, for the Stds we are working on increasing the number of distributors this week.
5. Do you have a commitment from your manufacturer as to how long they think it will take to fulfill the 1,000 LE's?
- they have experience with production lines, and so the line that they are building is to (of course based on when they start shipping) have the LE's out by Expo next year - obviously this can vary +/- based on alot of things, but this is the target for which they are building the line.
6. Are all play fields, wireforms, plastics etc., interchangeable between the original and remake?
- should be, don't see why they wouldn't
Thanks again.

Regarding playfied construction:

Quoted from PPS:

Regarding the playfield ... I'm not sure if everyone knows the history of Churchill Cabinet as well as Chicago Gaming ... but they have been making playfields and cabinets since the dawn of time, probably for most every pinball company in the history of pinball. So, the playfield wood will be the best of the current playfield wood and will be constructed with probably the best company to do so with the longest history and knowledge to do so correctly.
rick

#5 10 years ago

PPS answering some questions 10/24/13:

Quoted from PPS:

ok, another couple pages of reading to find some questions:
- LED's for flashers, etc - the game will have all LED's.
- Cutoff date for std - I'm not sure that we need a cutoff date, but if we do we will let you know ... by cutting it off ... lol
- LE ship date is the same as I said way back ... 6 days ago
- LED's will be used which try to give the best look that we feel (i'm sure with input) is the the best.
- Cabinet decals are just fine in terms of resiliancy, we've been selling them for high-end games for well over 7 years, and have not heard of scratching issues - cheaper knockoffs yes - don't believe all that you hear.
- As far as ramps - seems like who is making that claim had been selling ramps for a long time without original tooling, and I never heard at the time them saying their ramps were 'cheap'. Additionally, if cheaper is less expensive, that that might possibly be the case. We have all the CAD files for the ramps and hardware, not sure ramps is an issue other than what some might want it to be.
- Demand is way more than we thought and the number of LE's is out, and we are working thru second, third, and fouth tier lists, but that's before we even get to those wanting standards. So, not sure why the speculation, but i guess this is pinside ...

Regarding trim finish:

Quoted from PPS:

The trick with the exotic finish on the trim (gold, brass, chrome, etc) - is as much as some of it is really nice, it also really scratches easily (i know as we sell the parts). So, I really would hate to have this beautiful finish only to have it marred either in shipping or in early use, etc. So, we are working thru some choices which will try to be durable, but also will not get messed up easily, etc. I know that some of the finishes on the lockdown bar gets easily worn off due to sweat (acids, etc), so in any event we are looking at some finish which will be 'gold tone' without having the various downsides - so we are trying to get the 'best' finish we can.

On how many MMR will be made:

Quoted from PPS:

One of our goals at PPS for the Medieval Madness remake is that collectors who have long wanted a MM would finally be able to own one. We are not out to serve speculators or people who want to make a quick buck by flipping the game, or holding the game until the value goes up due to supply & demand ... we cannot stop some of this as it's a very free country, but we sure can have a long memory on where this happens.
We will make the non-LE version of MM as long as people want to buy them, then we will stop. If there is sufficient interest, we might start again at some point in the future. So please, if you want an investment, buy a mutual fund. If you want to play a great pinball game, buy the MM remake. You can buy it to resell it, but remember - the warranty only applies to the original purchaser who buys from an authorized distributor.
[email protected]

#6 10 years ago

Regarding LE orders on 10/26/13:

Quoted from PPS:

We are pretty much thru our initial order handling (and sleepless nights) collecting everything, figuring out duplicates, non-reponse customers, etc - this is for PPS allocated games. We are then going thru additional lists that are on the our 'waiting list' for LE or 'upgrade list' for LE, which will be happening as well.
One thing that I have had reports is of people having deposits taken (and charged) when that seller may not have LE's allocated) - this would be from legitimate game sellers who were not listed on the original distributor list - perhaps thru miscommunication, etc.
If anyone is in that situation, let me know and we can put you on yet another list and see if we can help address - again, this would be ONLY for people who have a recorded transaction with someone that is not on the distributor list that I released, which I believe is complete for who was allocated LE's. We are not in the business of stealing customers ... we are trying to find anyone who could receive an unwelcome "we're sorry, but what we promised you we really do not have" surprise.
contact me at [email protected] and can we please not discuss it here.
thanks,
rick

Regarding requesting a particular number for the LE model:

Quoted from PPS:

Two conditions around game numbers:
1) You don't care about which number you get and one will be assigned
There is no fee for this situation, and in this case we will assign a block (or multiple blocks) of numbers which have not already been 'taken' from list of available #'s (see (2)). This will be done somewhere down the road once we get all of the orders confirmed, etc.
2) You want a specific number:
Game #'s are managed centrally PPS/Mfg, and available thru distributors (PPS is a distributor for it's direct game sales). Distributors (including PPS) make requests or forward customer requests and we say yes or no whether it's available or not. PPS (with the mfg agreement) charge a fee to the distributor and the distributor (including PPS) can charge more or less - however they wish. This only applies to LE's, as for standards there will be no number scheme. This game #'s are what people want given feedback, but it's also a bit of management, requiring a large bunch of extra interactions just to complete an order, as well as then having to match up during mfg, which while it looks simple can create issues (customer gets right game, wrong #, etc), so there is a 'cost' to administer it.
Not a ton of #'s are reserved, and you can imagine it's all of the low #'s and the desired numbers. We don't want to dictate what distributors charge, as it does add some additional overhead up and down the line. This seemed to be the way it has done ...

#7 10 years ago

Answering some questions that had been asked 10/27/13:

Quoted from PPS:

ok, the signal to noise ratio on this thread is increasing but I've looked thru the last page or two today and find some of the questions.
- game numbers have no correlation to the sequence of when the games are built.
- we are debating a phone jack - so maybe yes, maybe no ... game will have capability, it's mainly harness.
- when we put a queue together you will know roughly where you are, but obviously that will be adjusted to coordinate bulk shipments, etc.
- the order will be a result of many merged lists between multiple distributors, so we will then create a list, there will be a rough idea of where in the list someone is - but it will a rough idea
- we make parts wherever we make parts, we don't disclose who or where (same as I expect the 'other' game mfgs ... lol). I would say the bulk of the parts come from chicago area as logistically there's no advantage from offshore. You can keep asking and you will get the same answer. I think you would be surprised at what parts come from offshort in other games ... where do LED's come from, pinball doors, etc?
- do you guys think that anyone wants to build an inferior product that you get to deal with time and energy with unhappy customers? I think that works if you are in this for the short term, but everyone involve has been in this industry for a long time. There are bad suppliers in the US just as there are in China - oy.

Regarding PPS LE orders 10/29/13:

Quoted from PPS:

All ... as far as the PPS LE orders ... we are entering orders based on received deposits today and sending out email confirmation sales orders. So you will start receiving those which will be official verification you are on our (PPS allocated units) list. If your check does not get here or on time, etc we will contact you and sort it out, it is not a 'hard stop' at the end of the month ...

#8 10 years ago

Regarding expected timeline for WMS approval decision:

Quoted from PPS:

As for WMS approval, we've always said before end of the year ... could be sooner, that's the goal. We just want to make the game 'right' as we would like to delight Roger Sharpe who is our interface for WMS. So far reports are that the game is playing really well, and the team is looking for any gameplay anomalies, etc ... but so far so good.
rick

#9 10 years ago

Pictures and comments shared by PPS on 11/5/13:

Quoted from PPS:

fyi ... a couple of pictures from today, will get more as I can get them from the team. Remember, this is the prototype - things may change (primarily the electronics, revisions, rearranging, etc). The game is fully up and running and runs original WMS code. The top and bottom of playfield other than the electronics system is basically 'original' parts constructed as they were, the cabinet is a 'new' MM cabinet from WMS prints.

image-843.jpgimage-843.jpg
image-135.jpgimage-135.jpg

#10 10 years ago

Some details on cabinet and playfield art on 11/5/13:

Quoted from PPS:

Just as another caution ... the artwork (cabinet as well as playfield) is probably 1-2 revs away from being 'final'. The cabinet art will be decaled and will be 'new' artwork which will be 1200dpi scanned and touched up from a really good cabinet, so it is going thru variations to tune colors, etc. The playfield is screened (as Chicago Gaming does that) and is probably a revision or so away as well. Everyone is sensitive about specific pictures as it's not fininshed product, so as long a people 'get it' without starting something that doesn't exists, then I'll continue to get what I can get ...
But, as we've noted, the pictures other than the electronics overlay should not be that 'interesting' as the parts will be mostly all of the same parts that have been available as replacement parts for some time, so the idea is that the game (other than selected legal notices) should be the same with minimal variations on the standard parts.
rick

Regarding the electronic components:

Quoted from PPS:

The game is being play tested now, and I'm sure will continue to be tested in various capacities - remember, other than the electronics, it's the SAME as a MM game! But of course the electronics is and will continue to be tested.
Yes, the components of course are being chosen to be avaiable for many years.
Most of the PCB's are surface mount, but we'd have to ask the design team as to whether and where there are surface mount components. Also, the design is far more resiliant with upgraded capacity to reduce the likelihood of transister failures etc.

Some thoughts regarding the project:

Quoted from PPS:

guys ... I'm not really going to get 'into it' on this discussion, but here are a few late night comments:
- We always said we would not be directly building machines but we always said we will do what we can to enable the building of them, the timing last year when we started on this was right.
- Prices on MM's was staying very high and getting higher, so it was even more right to get try to get the pieces together to do this now. We had been trying to get a formula to move on something since acquiring the license, but we had other priorities (parts, etc).
- The license requires that the game look and play like original - no 'remake' will be identical - especially internally, whether it be ROHS, or chips not available, or just plain bad design that you have the opportunity to fix, so I think any remake would not have satisfied the 'exactness' requirement of some - so this decision got a little easier to do it the way we are doing it.
- We really do want to see these games in the hands of everyone that previously could not find one or buy one at a 'reasonable' price. So, for MM the price could have been higher given the astronomical prices that the game gets, but we just felt that this was the right price for the game, as well as obviously there is a bunch of startup and development cost - primarily with the electronics.
- We're just trying to do what we do, to get parts and enable games that leverage the license that we have, which we WMS/BLY created alot (not all) of the greatest games, and just want to continue and get the MM done.
- I'm sure there will be a few twists and turns along the way, so I'm sure some will delight in this, but it's part of getting things done, we're not really worried about that ... and if the project were to fall apart for any reason, we are doing what we can do to keep the customer getting stuck with the tab.
- Making repro 'stuff' is not simple, I think if anyone that has not tried to do so would, you would be amazed by the complexity of trying to get things right, even with prints, samples, etc. Progress would never happen if mistakes were not made ...
- Anyways, it's a really unique time that pinball has seen the resurgence that it has, so it's really nice to see some positive comments ..

Quoted from PPS:

there are no switches on the main playfield board ..

#11 10 years ago

Regarding sound and cabinet construction on 11/10/13:

Quoted from PPS:

The original sound I believe will be improved upon what exists, technically I'm not sure exactly the specifics, but there is an effort to get a better quality out. There are some IP assets that we have that help with that and they are being looked at by Chicago Gaming ...

Quoted from PPS:

The cabinet should be the 'same' as the original, as we are using the original cad files - so dimensionally as well as where the major nuts/bolts go should be the same. I'm not sure if after the years that there are any improvements, but I'm sure anything like that would be for good reason ...

1 week later
#12 10 years ago

Regarding order in which MMR standards will be shipped out to buyers:

Quoted from PPS:

We will be 'officially' setting up distributors for the MMR standards this week, obviously the ones selling MMR LE's also sell standards. The way the MMR will work is that the sooner a deposit is recieved will set your position in line for the MMR standards (+/- based on other factors like bundling for most efficient shipping, some customer requests for certain dates, etc). But generally when you have a deposit in, then you go in line.
As we have said, the MMR's will start after the LE's are all built. So, the timeframe I'm telling everyone is Q4 2014 is when we believe they would ship - can be earlier or later depending on how things go with the LE production, etc.
rick

Q & A regarding many different aspects of the project posted 11/19/13

Quoted from PPS:

This is for the LE:
1a) ORDER REFUNDS - TIMING: Could you respond on our ability to get a refund of the $1000 deposit. I've heard that the deposit can be fully refunded up until two weeks prior to the game shipping. I have also heard that the deposit is refundable until Williams provides final approval of the game. Will we be informed of the final approval with a grace period or will it be immediate with no ability to request a refund.
This has been asked and answered several times - the deposit refund is available up to the time that WMS approves the game, which we expect at the end of the year. I'm sure it will not be 'to the day' of the wms approval.
1b) ORDER REFUNDS - DESIGN: We do not have a lot of detail yet on the game. As information related to the game is released, will we be able to cancel our order if specific design changes are not to our liking. I've heard there was a period of time when refunds were honoroed by a recent startup. Maybe PPS can do something similar as we come up to speed on the game.
There will be more information published during the next couple of months. The bulk of the game is the same as original, cabinet, playfield top, bottom (with the exception of the electronics). The electronics pictures as they are now have been published, and more will be published as well. It has been stated that the game is expected to look and play as original (or better) with the exception of logo's, trademarks, notices, etc. So, we certainly will provide more information, but if minor design updates are required to keep people in the game, then this may not be the game for you, or you may need to wait until it's released as we can never provide everything that everyone would want.
2) ORDER PORTABILITY: Could you respond on our ability to sell our order to another individual. I have no intent of doing this but the question has been raised. It would be good to hear an official response.
This has been raised and answered as well. Warranty is not covered by reselling the game - only to the original owner. As to whether or not anyone can sell their game to anyone else, other than that we cannot control that.
3) GOLD TONE TRIM: More detail here would be nice. IE: Brass, gold, plated, clear coated.
We have discussed this as well - the 'exact' finish is being worked on, as soon as it is decided (or choices) we will make this available ...
4) COLOR DMD: Will we have the ability to add Color DMD to our games? Will it be an easy task or will an aftermarket supplier be required to do something special for this game?
Again, this has been discussed - the MMR will have a native color LCD, which when shipped will be 'mono' color but selectable (probably a number of standard colors supported by the LCD - red, amber, blue, green, etc). We are then working on an upgrade which we expect to be software only which will provide full color display.
5) SHAKER: Since the original game was not designed to use a shaker, how will the shaker be implimented into the remake?
The shaker will be driven off various inputs (generally the castle shaking) and the motor will shake. More below.
6) DMD ANIMATION: Will the animations be identical to the original? Will we see any new animations implemented in the remake?
They are the same other than WMS stuff being removed. No, there are no new animations.
7) SOFTWARE: Will the game software be modified to have native shaker support? Any other software changes from the original?
Game software runs on top of the controller board, and the controller board driver can set off the shaker motor based on various outputs. So, it is software controlled, but not the original game software. There is flexibility in terms of running longer or shorter, etc, etc, etc.
INSERT LEDS: Are they color matched to the inserts or are the warm white like the GI? Will their brightness or color be adjustable in software? Will they be user replacable?
They will be the best colors to make the inserts look as much as original as possible. Not sure about adjustability, but I expect so without asking the team. Some are socketed, some are on boards at this time. As they generally don't ever wear out, then the issue is really a failure issue - so all of this is being looked at ...

Brochures posted on 11/19/13

Post edited by The_Dude_Abides : Edited last links to STD edition.

2 weeks later
#13 10 years ago

Places to find out more about MMR online:

Quoted from PPS:

We've added a blog for the MMR on the pinball.com / planetarypinball.com site ... we will update this as often as we can. This also includes an FAQ, as well as a way to ask us additional questions which we will try to include all questions we can answer in the FAQ!
SO, the MMR blog is here:
http://www.planetarypinball.com/category/mmr/
The FAQ is here:
http://www.planetarypinball.com/category/mmr-faq/
And asking a question can be done here:
http://www.planetarypinball.com/mm5/merchant.mvc?Store_Code=PP&Screen=CTUS
We will still continue to post here as appropriate and check in every day or so ...
[email protected]

Info regarding reserving a Standard MMR:

Quoted from PPS:

Just an update (or a recap on MM Standards).
MM standards will be built after we run the MMLE's - the standards can be secured with a $1K deposit which will put you in place in line. PPS has a pre-reserve page on it's site:
http://www.planetarypinball.com/product/product-name-rec6/
in which you can reserve a game directly thru PPS (other distributors will be coming online shortly we are working on terms with Chicago Gaming and then will move forward with some more distribution points).
In addition, with being on the list for a Std, if any LE's were to open up, then that is one of the lists consulted to see if we can 'upgrade' anyone to an LE.
A deposit is not required (by PPS), but with it, we put you in line to get it which is expected to start shipping Q4 2014.
thanks,
[email protected]

Hotline phone number for MMR project:

Quoted from PPS:

Oh .. also forgot we added an MMR "hotline" to our system which we will pickup if we are around or leave a message 408-596-5030 MMR Hotline.
[email protected]

1 week later
#14 10 years ago

Regarding Williams approval on 12/11/13:

Quoted from PPS:

there will be 'warning (lol)' about wms approval ... given that it's never been done before we have to figure out exactly what to do, so one key ingrediant is Roger Sharpe and then it may be a session, a couple a couple of sessions, etc, and giving him any things that need to be fully completed, etc. But the game is playing, and sounding, and video-ing seemingly fine. But we will give people a little headsup when we move to lockdown status on the deposits.

Responding to insinuations that there are was a wave of drop outs:

Quoted from PPS:

that's bullshit ... i've seen no wave of dropouts and I have visibility to a large section of the orders ... somehow it's great here to extrapalate and make statements that you have no way to know if true, but as it's a free speech forum it's ok as it's fun to wish everyone to fail (end of rant). Anyways, despite all the expert opinions, we will produce the game, we will try to make the best game we can, and we will listen to our customers as much as we can.

#15 10 years ago

Regarding expos that Proto MMR will be at next year.

Quoted from PPS:

Yes, we will be at TPF with some proto's at least, and then at PAGG for sure. The theme of TPF is Medieval Madness (done before anyone knew about the mmr), so we will have a presence there.

#16 10 years ago

Link to video and pictures of prototype on 12/17/13:

Quoted from PPS:

Fyi ... finally got the latest pictures and video in of the game, more updates coming ...
[email protected]

Video and pictures along with comments from PPS on blog:

The MMR is a traditional look and feel of Medieval Madness (top of playfield and bottom mechanisms) – the electronics have been upgraded for many good reasons (better sound, display, native LED support, updatability, supportability, etc, etc, etc.). Here are a couple of pictures of the underside of the playfield. As you can see, the mechanical aspects are almost all original OEM parts.
MMRUNDER1.jpgMMRUNDER1.jpg
MMRUNDER2.jpgMMRUNDER2.jpg
The complete electronics system have been running since late summer 2013, and going thru iterations and most PCB’s are on or near their final revision. The game will include run natively LED’s which will be selected to represent the original look and feel of the original game lighting.

Here is a closeup of the controller board, which is the main ‘brain’ of the electronics system, handling game code execution, audio, video, update (with microSD card), etc.
MMRCTRL.jpgMMRCTRL.jpg
Cables in and out for Display, Audion, Cabinet/Door Switches, Power, and lower playfield board which interfaces to playfield switches, controlled lamps (LEDs), and Power Circuit (Power Driver sub-boards).

More updates coming soon … thanks for all the support and feedback …

Copyright Planetary Pinball Supply, Inc. 2013 All Rights Reserved

This entry was posted in Medieval Madness Remake! (MMR) on December 18, 2013 by admin.
PPS Medieval Madness Remake (MMR)!

2 weeks later
#17 10 years ago

Little update regarding Josh Sharpe playing and providing feedback on MMR link is http://www.planetarypinball.com/category/mmr/:
Happy New Year – the year of MMR!
Wanted to give some updates on progress on the Medieval Madness Remake to start the new year, and hope everyone had great holiday break!
One of the most important aspects of the game is that it plays ‘right’ - so we had the opportunity to have Josh Sharpe, one of the top ranked pinball players, as well as the President of the International Flipper Pinball Association come by and play and provide feedback for the game. It was an impromptu visit but we have a picture to verify his presence (not photoshopped!):
Sharpe playing MMR.jpgSharpe playing MMR.jpg
I touched base with Josh over the phone (as we are in CA and he is in Chicago), and the feedback was “It plays like a Medieval!” and “gotta say I was really impressed with where he’s (Doug Duba, Chicago Gaming) at with development” . In fact he seemed somewhat surprised that it played so well – he had made some suggestions as well as helped align the flippers perfectly, and saw no difference as to the original feel of playing the game with “a restored original”. So, this is great feedback, and another step to production in a few months. Josh knows this game intimately and as well has grown up from watching it on the WMS production line to playing it, to competing in tournaments on it.
This entry was posted in Medieval Madness Remake! (MMR) on December 31, 2013 by admin.

#18 10 years ago

Update provided by PPS on 1/4/2014:
Link = http://www.planetarypinball.com/category/mmr/
Here is some updates on the game development moving towards production:

Game progresses well, the team has ordered parts signaling a shift towards manufacturing, assembly fabrication steps being developed, and moving towards the acquisition of parts and production. Entering final stages for electronics revisions, test feedback, etc.
The first proto game is complete and playing well with Audio and Video with all parts assembled with the upgraded Electronics. Minor code changes as hardware revisions are produced, etc, but overall the team is confident in the ability for the game and work as expected.
Parts have been ordered and are coming in now for the LE build.
Electronics – most PCB’s are on final or next to final release.
Audio – we have the original uncompressed audio files which will result in superior sound quality vis-a-vis the original Medieval game – this will result in much better quality as original Medieval Madness audio was compressed and resulted in lower sampling rate that we will be able to provide.
Artwork – playfield and cabinet artwork have gone thru multiple revisions to get colors adjusted and refined/tweaked to get the best quality out. We are on 4th iteration of the playfield artwork and have produced both playfield and cabinet art and are in good shape for artwork.
Trim Finish – we are working thru LE Gold Finish choices and will provide pictures and some samples of the finish as needed in time for anyone to be able to modify their choice between silver vs gold trim – probably late January for this update.
WMS Approval Process – we are the first ever to go thru this with WMS, so Roger Sharpe (PPS’s WMS Business Interface) is scheduled for the end of the first week of January (1/7) to review the game, as well as play the game. We believe the process will yield a positive result and then it’s just exactly what Roger and the legal team need to officially approve (which could be right then and there, to having a list of conditional approvals based on any items that need to be addressed – like logo or trademark placement, etc). We are confident that the approval will be forthcoming.
A Note about Deposits: for those who have MMR deposits – don’t stress about the timing, we have every $ in our PPS MMR Account, and we are also not going to make the deposits non-refundable until two conditions a) that we have the WMS ‘approval’ signaling that we are ok to move ahead with full production (which we expect), as well as b) that you have enough information about the game – videos, pictures, FAQ, player reports, etc. Additionally, we will give you a week or so notice AFTER we feel the above has happened to insure that you are confident about your purchase. In any event none of this has any effect on the schedule or the work, just that you have time to review and see the progress, and move forward with us being fully in view of the product. So, don’t worry!!
Customer Feedback – thanks to all of you who reach out or ask questions – you can contact us at [email protected] or call us on the MMR hotline, etc. We are capturing your inputs and we have some surprises in store for you for placing your confidence in us … coming soon.
A couple of days ago on New Years Eve day Josh Sharpe (top ranked player, IFPA president) visited Chicago Gaming and played the game (see more detail in the previous blog entry here). The simplest and most telling comment “it plays like a Medieval!”

Also, wanted to share that the sequence of building is not the same as a new game – for example the playfield and the cabinet art on the game are different than the final version, as it’s not so important to create the best photo op as replacing a playfield will consume alot of time (same with cabinet art). So while things progress, there are builds when appropriate, but otherwise variations of artwork and even assmblies may not be on the current build of the game. Sometime people get concerned but not to worry as we are moving towards a Q2 mfg date, as well as testing in Q1 so we are on track!

1 week later
#19 10 years ago

Update posted 1/15/14 regarding Sharpe's visit and impressions of MMR:

Quoted from PPS:

Roger Sharpe (our WMS pinball "business" contact) was at Chicago Gaming yesterday (tues afternoon) for over an hour playing the game and doing a review with the team ... I talked with Roger this morning and he sees no issues in the game going forward, was impressed, next step in this process is now to bring the wms legal in the next week or two to close on the legal signoff of the game ... then Roger wants to be involved and check as we go thru manufacturing start, etc. Great news and as usual everything is a process ...
http://www.planetarypinball.com/category/mmr
I will put pictures and/or vids to confirm that Roger was indeed there (as I'm sure here people will be suspicious) but as I am in CA and development is in Chicago, the first thing on the team's mind is not to document that internal meetings happened so it's a bit of an education for them ...
[email protected]

Announcing that Lloyd Olson will be a part of PPS MMR Technical Support:

Team http://www.planetarypinball.com/pps-mmr-customer-technical-support-lloyd-olson-on-the-team/

PPS MMR Customer Technical Support – Lloyd Olson on the team!
Planetary Pinball Supply with Chicago Gaming is happy to announce that Lloyd Olson will be on board with us to provide installation and technical support for the Medieval Madness Remake (MMR)!

LTGLloyd is a fixture in the pinball community and on most pinball forums, as well as provides game technical support as well as parts support for a number of other pinball companies. We are fortunate to have his knowledge and expertise available to us to help insure that our customer setup and installation, configuration and settings, and any technical customer needs are addressed quickly and correctly. Lloyd complements the rest of the support resources which PPS is putting in place now (help ticket system, phone access, factory technical support, etc) in advance of the MMR release expected in Q2 2014.

Lloyd will have a MMR at his headquarters as well as various assemblies as needed to insure that he can complement the rest of the MMR support team and of course is very familiar with the original Medieval Madness game which the MMR shares many elements.

Of course Lloyd continues to support what he supports today as his continued experience with all game platforms, parts, and interactions within forums only enhances and helps the pinball community overall.

Welcome Lloyd!

2 weeks later
#20 10 years ago

Announcement that WMS approval has been received on 1/28/14:

Quoted from PPS:

WMS Legal Approval received today - on to procuring parts and building the proto's.
http://www.planetarypinball.com/pps-mmr-wms-legal-approval-recieved/
[email protected]

PPS MMR – WMS Legal Approval Recieved!

We have received a much anticipated WMS Legal approval (1/28/14) to move ahead with the game which triggers puchase of parts (which we have already been doing in anticipation), as well as to production. Roger Sharpe (WMS) has played the game and has agreed that the game plays well and any items that needed to be addressed are accounted for. The game plays correctly relative to the original game and that is a key criterion to moving forward.

So, the team is now busy procuring parts as welll as finalizing the last revision of the electronics. Artwork has been completed and the game elements have passed the test with WMS.

We will update you more, but the focus is on procuring parts (not building games just yet!) and then moving to a pre-production and then production in a couple of months.

Given that we are still working on getting some of the prototypes together which will take several weeks, we will not be freezing any deposits until we have games readily available to play as well as things like the choice of gold trim, etc.
This entry was posted in Medieval Madness Remake! (MMR) on January 28, 2014 by admin.

1 week later
#21 10 years ago
Quoted from PPS:

Also ... here's another mini-epic announcement - the cabinets will include the metal standoffs (aka leg protectors - actually cabinet protectors), which are attached to provide some separation between the cabinet and the legs ... this will help alleviate the scratched cabinet art problems that games suffer even with felt or plastic protectors.

#22 10 years ago

Update regarding some extra features that LE models will have on 2/8/14:
http://www.planetarypinball.com/mmr-mini-update-2814-additional-le-benefits/

Just a quick update – game progress going well, making minor tweaks and doing what we need to do. Still confirmed with Chicago Gaming for Q2 shipment start. Planning barring any last minute issues of having 3 games at Texas Pinball Festival end of March.

We’ve added a couple of enhancements for LE owners:
First: MMR LE’s will have upgraded cabinet bottoms – 18mm (.71 Inch) Russian Birch Plywood bottoms for the LE’s – this an upgrade over the standard MDF and will be thicker and stronger.
Second: MMR LE’s will have finished insides of cabinets – so black all around as opposed to the semi-finished black painted as per typical cabinets (visible areas, etc).
More coming, just a quick update.
This entry was posted in Medieval Madness Remake! (MMR) on February 8, 2014 by admin.

Regarding an option for anti-reflective glass installed and shipped with games from the factory:

Quoted from PPS:

I expect to have an Anti-Reflective glass (similar to Invisiglass TM) at least as a purchase option - the reason it makes sense to install it at the factory is that it's a pain and expensive to ship separately, so I want to get this put in as at least a discounted purchase option for the game. Stay tuned.

rick

Regarding possible price range to have your game ship from factory with Anti-Reflective glass:

Quoted from PPS:

A/R glass as an option would likely be about $175 +/-
rick

Reiterating when deposits will become non-refundable:

Quoted from PPS:

that has been covered both on our pps site blog as well as here on the forum. The deposit will become refundable when there is sufficient exposure of the game and other things (like trim option). we will also be giving notice, so this should all be good news as we moving out the date to production - honestly there is confidence that if anyone cancels someone will fill their spot so we are pushing that as far as we can to obviously insure that there is enough for everone to know the game beyond what we have already published. We will make them non-refundable when we have all of this covered, so the longer the better I would think from your perspective ...

#23 10 years ago

Regarding warranty and DBA functionality on coin door on 2/13/14:

Quoted from PPS:

The warranty will be the same regardless of home or commercial use (frankly i'm not sure how you would be able to really enforce this if the policy were different - so doesn't make sense to try ...)
Also, yes, the coin door will be same as original wms 2-slot door, which has a slot for DBA. We have not yet tested it but let's say the idea is that it will support DBA and you will hear otherwise if there is a delay in supporting it which would be minimal effort.
rick

3 weeks later
#24 10 years ago

Regarding Gold Trim planned for the LE models:

Quoted from PPS:

The gold trim has been figured out, I am getting samples next week, so then I have to figure out how to show them so people can get a good feeling to figure out whether they want gold or silver ... more when I get them.
rick

Regarding MMR being set up to be played at TPF posted on 3/25/14:

Quoted from PPS:

Two MMR's are on their way down to TPF right now, so they are in transit ... so there will be plenty of info on them as they will be setup for play somewhere on the floor ...
[email protected]

2 weeks later
#25 10 years ago

Regarding Prototype MMR's going to upcoming pinball expos:

Quoted from PPS:

The games going down to TPF are what we would call proto or sample games - the castle sequence works, the LED's are smoothed out, etc, one will have gold trim the other will be silver/stainless. These games will be for viewing and testing and finding anything in addition that needs to be done by putting it out in the show, etc. Anything that is found, etc will be rolled into the pre-production games, updates, etc, so we will be checking on the feedback on the trim, feedback on the LED effects, etc.
We will have a pre-production game at Pin A Go-Go, and then production starts after these games get some additional beatings. Lot's to do ... final games are what ships and even then there is always some tweaking as more learning and feedback comes in.
rick

Quoted from PPS:

At TPF, we will use the proto games to get feedback on things like the Gold Trim and if there is any lightening or darkening that we want to do or if it's just right (there have been many iterations), we will also check with people's feedback on the led smoothing and if we would want to make any tweaks in that (which is usually capacitor/resistor values as well as some software things, obviously if there are any art related things, as well as overall game experience. Now is the time if there are any things that need to be adjusted we get the feedback, so TPF is good timing for a first unveiling (of course I expect any minor issue to be turned into a major on pinside ... lol).
So, that's part of the process with pilot games which will be to check the overall target of the game, and then the pre-production is to be the game that will have everything final and checking for any last sets of things to fix/improve putting them in test environments, etc. Then the production games will ship with the expectation that the pilot and pre-production has shaken out the issues.
Now is also the time that parts coming can also be messed up from suppliers lol ... not saying that is happening here, but for BBB there were instances of parts coming in differently and then realizing that as assemblies were put together, and then another cycle of getting those issues fixed ... obviously things we are doing everything to avoid.
So, it's good for people to understand the process, as with any manufacturing of a complex item (or even software which is inherently complex), there are different stages of getting things finalized ... of course even after shipment there are in many past cases software updates, fixes, etc.
[email protected]

Regarding LED lighting technique being implemented on machine:

Quoted from PPS:

These are 50K hour high quality LED's running under voltage, so that won't need to happen. Secondly if the in the rare instances an LED went out, then there are clusters of 3 that are in parallel and the other two get brighter. Finally, they are just LED's surface mounted onto a board, not alot of effort to replace them.

#26 10 years ago

Regarding Trim options on LE models and add ons for Standards:

Quoted from PPS:

The gold and now black options are LE's. If you have a standard you can buy the parts and put them on yourselves. Note that the tape holding the side trim DOES NOT rip off the cabinet art, so at least that is a benefit from the way it used to be. No guarantees that you can get the side trim off without kinking it or otherwise messing it up.
So, for the standard, any of the options or addons would be a separate parts purchase. Depending on the options that can change but for the trim it will not.
You do not have to rush in to choose black trim right now, as we want to get some samples out, etc.
At some point in the next month or two we will be getting all the options available for LE owners and insure that we have this tied to every order, but there is no need to worry about that right now.
rick

Video of MMR being played at TPF and video with playfield up during seminar shared by Pinsider PinballHog (thanks!):
http://www.youtube.com/embed/XDXMLvolUwo?autoplay=1&rel=0
http://www.youtube.com/embed/Km9tgM577p4?autoplay=1&rel=0

#27 10 years ago

Notes from Rick regarding TPF showing of MMR:

Quoted from PPS:

A quick summary from TPF:
- The two pilot games played great all weekend long - no major issues and very few minor things (a wire came off the castle switch, shooter lane wire got stuck and just had to bend it a little), flipper adjustments (primarily due to power feed fluctuating from down to 100V, etc), and possibly a couple more things ...
- Both games were on and playing for around 40 hours almost non-stop, and no electronics issues (which we expected none) of any kind.
- Most important was a huge consistent feedback that the game played just like 'their' original game that many people have. This is the most important and this is what we almost universally heard.
- People liked the LED's, there is additional tuning that we will look into about specific feature lites, and any other effects.
- The LED design has 3 LED's cluster under every insert, and circuit such that if ANY of those 3 LED's goes out the remaining LED's get brighter to compensate. Note that these are 50,000 hour LED's -AND- we are driving them at lower voltage, so we feel that the LED's are basically addressed sufficiently, possibly some additional tweaks, etc.
- The driver 'board-lets' (1/3's) are thru hole transisters and pre-drivers, but they are also 4x higher load transisters and so the liklihood of them getting shorted is much lower, but if they do, you can take out your soldering iron and have at it! -or- just have a 1/3 driver board (at about that cost) and replace it.
- The main Lamp board had no issues for the duration of the show on the two games, and if for any reason there were to be an issue in shipped games then it takes about 20 minutes to replace the board as well as we will have exchange pricing on them (even though they are not all that expensive), to further reduce any cost (of course this is after the warranty period).
- We have adjustable voltage for the main solenoids built into the power supply of the game, so the game can be jumpered to give more or less power to the solenoids - something you cannot do and helps with major voltage issues in your power source.
- We decided to offer black option with the LE's (after purchase for std's) as well as the gold as there is too much energy going into the gold choice (and yes - brite shiny gold is not an option, it will not hold up, it never has and there are no good options, otherwise we would have already done that, so let's put that one to bed - anyone for a small amount of money can color their trim to whatever they want).
SO, this gives us a list of feedback, and we appreciate everyone at the show who gave the feedback, it was the right time and the right place to get the games out there and be there to listen to everyone. Alot of props out to Chicago Gaming (Doug and Dave) for their hard work as well as incorporating the feedback to insure that this is the best game that it can be!
[email protected]

1 month later
#28 9 years ago

Regarding trim color options posted around May 3, 2014:
Link to page:
http://www.planetarypinball.com/mmr-update-cgc-menu-display-color-flipper-strength-incandescent-emulation/

"MMR Trim Update – Gold AND Black!

We have the Black Trim that will be offered as an MMR LE option pictures! Feedback from the TPF show as well as on the forums was that a Black option was a really desired in addition to the gold trim. Here are some pictures of the black trim (note this is on one of the original MM’s that are being used for testing and comparison) … the plastic leg protectors are just to protect the cabinet (remember that the MMR’s have build in metal standoffs to keep the legs away from damaging the cabinet) … Enjoy:
20140501_1352551.jpg20140501_1352551.jpg
20140501_1353181-e1399099959486.jpg20140501_1353181-e1399099959486.jpg
20140501_1408261.jpg20140501_1408261.jpg

Gold Trim is here …
gold1.jpggold1.jpg
gold2.jpggold2.jpg
gold3.jpggold3.jpg
So for LE owners you will have the option of either traditional steel/zinc trim -or- Black or Gold!"

#29 9 years ago

Video of castle sequence posted by PPS:
Direct link:
http://www.planetarypinball.com/mmr-update-latest-and-greatest-castle-sequence/

"MMR Update … Latest and Greatest Castle Sequence!

Here is a movie of the latest castle destruction sequence – which use Pulse Coil Modulation (via software pulses to the coils) …

NOTE: MP4 converted to Youtube … hopefully no playback issues …"

http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_detailpage&v=hSFONOypnY4

Regarding where MMR will be available to play:

Quoted from PPS:

We will have an MMR at Pin A Go-Go, that game will then come to PPS/BAA HQ in San Jose for about a week and then go up to Seattle to the Northwest Pinball Show first week of June. Someone from Chicago Gaming (tbd) will be coming I believe to both shows. Not sure which game will be coming, but whatever game it is it will have the latest electronics, we will have black and gold trim there, and whatever else we can have ... yes, it is quite a challenge to try to build a game and have people and one or more games shipping to shows ...

#30 9 years ago

Update showing off pieces and parts:
Direct Link:
http://www.planetarypinball.com/mmr-update-cgc-menu-display-color-flipper-strength-incandescent-emulation/

"MMR Update – Pieces Parts!

Here are some various pics that I have for various elements of the game:

CPU/Controller board – CPU is OTS (off the shelf) beaglebone black mated to the MMR controller board.
BBOX.jpgBBOX.jpg
Main Lamp Board with Driver Boardlets (3 small boards, interchangeable):
PFBOARD-e1399108073874.jpgPFBOARD-e1399108073874.jpg
The backbox Tub has LED’s for controlled lamps and general lighting (pic of front and back):
BBTUBF.jpgBBTUBF.jpg
BBTUBR.jpgBBTUBR.jpg
Wire ramps are shiny and brite (and done!) … gues what will be in the parts supply soon … made to original blueprint specs … also will have finished and unfinished (raw for plating) available …
RAMPS.jpgRAMPS.jpg

#31 9 years ago

Announcement that assembly of MMR will be done by Stern Pinball for PPS/Chicago Gaming:

Quoted from PPS:

Planetary Pinball, Chicago Gaming and Stern Pinball announce Specialty Manufacturing Arrangement
CHICAGO, IL – MAY 14, 2014 – Planetary Pinball Supply (“PPS”), Chicago Gaming Company (“CGC”) and Stern Pinball, Inc. (“SPI”), today announced a specialty manufacturing arrangement pursuant to which SPI will make its manufacturing facility available to PPS and CGC to assemble their remake of the Medieval Madness (“MMR”) pinball game.
CGC, which has a long-standing business relationship with SPI, will assemble the game for PPS in SPI’s factory using SPI’s factory labor and production line assets. The game will be assembled with parts supplied by CGC which consist of original WMS specification parts combined with the new electronics and lighting systems designed by CGC. Final prep, packaging and shipment will be from CGC facility in Cicero, IL.
“We think this arrangement provides the best solution to insure the timely delivery of a high quality game for our customers who wish to own this legendary title” said Rick Bartlett, President of PPS.
“We have a long-standing relationship with SPI and its high capacity manufacturing operation will allow us to complete the MMR games in a timely fashion,” added Doug Duba, President of CGC.
“We’re looking forward to helping PPS and CGC exceed the expectations of Medieval Madness pinball enthusiasts,” said Gary Stern, President of SPI.
###
All trademarks and product names are the property of their respective companies.
ANNOUNCEMENT FAQ:
Q: What is the announcement?
A: The announcement is that Chicago Gaming Co (CGC) and Planetary Pinball Supply, Inc.(PPS) will be using the Stern Pinball, Inc (SPI) factory to assemble the Playfield and Cabinet assemblies for Medieval Madness Remake, using both original spec WEG (Williams Electronic Games, Inc.) Medieval Madness parts and newly-designed CGC parts (electronics and lighting systems). SPI will make its manufacturing facility and factory labor available to
PPS and CGC.
Q: Why would you do this as I thought CGC was making the game?
A: CGC is ‘making the game’ for PPS and, as such, they have designed, prototyped and tested the game. CGC retains responsibility for the BOM (bill of materials), overall QA responsibility for the game, as well as packaging and shipping. What is happening is that rather than build a pinball production line, we will be using SPI’s. SPI has a high capacity line and manufacturing operation.
Q: If you were picking a pinball manufacturer – why not pick JJP since you already have a relationship with them?
A: A number of reasons go into this – first we have a relationship with SPI as well and SPI has been doing contract manufacturing for many years, and is geared up for it whereas JJP is very focused on producing its own games (WOZ, etc). Additionally, the logistics between CGC and SPI already exist – trucks move back and forth between the companies daily, as well as the finishing up at CGC would not be able to happen if the game were assembled in New Jersey. There is a lot of sub-assembly that is being done both at CGC as well as with suppliers in the Chicago area, so this is another consideration.
Q; Why would Stern Pinball do this – helping out a ‘competitor’?
A: MMR is going to be built one way or another and SPI believes MMR fits into their contract manufacturing line of business, which helps keep its factory busy during breaks between Stern-branded games. Additionally, there is a reduction in market uncertainty by insuring the game comes out sooner than later, which helps everyone.
Q: What does this do to the schedule?
A: The great news is it firms up the schedule as SPI can build upwards of 200 games/week on its line and this will allow MMR’s to be scheduled to be assembled in one or more builds, which will help ensure that we will finish the LE’s before the end of the year – so it basically allows us to get a lot more games out in a much shorter period of time with a different ramp up. The initial games will slip a few weeks to get everything setup to run. Everything assumes of course the timely delivery of all quality parts needed to assemble the game from CGC.
Q: Does this change the plan for Pre-Production games?
A: The pre-production games will now be assembled at the SPI factory, to give the production line a warmup for starting the overall assembly of the first run. The pre-production gets pushed out a few weeks.
Q: What about the quality – are you sacrificing quality by going with Stern Pinball?
A: The quality of a game is a function of many factors including parts selection, design, as well as build quality. For the MMR, the assembly is using OUR set of parts and OUR design. As for build quality, the objective is to have the same build quality as the original Medieval Madness. Additionally, we will incorporate CGC Quality Control people into the SPI line to address and escalate any build issues. Finally, SPI itself has major initiatives focused on improving build quality, which will benefit us.
Conversely, there is a learning curve and a ramp up of building a new manufacturing line – there are people to hire, train, etc, and lots of design and working to get ‘things right’. Additionally, from all of our cumulative manufacturing experience, we all know that a new assembly facility would have ‘bumps in the road'. We chose this path to help avoid those bumps which would translate to delays that we could not predict and thus more uncertainty and delay in customers getting their games at the level of quality that they expect. Also, if you do not keep an assembly line running then you have issues with people not having work in-between, retraining … and potentially quality issues popping up from time to time. SPI’s assembly line does not have these issues and they can handle the capacity of the MMR games.
Q: When did this decision get made – have you been keeping us in the dark?
A: The decision was brought up in earnest in March, and we had initial discussions, including a list of concerns that we wanted addressed (many of the concerns that are being answered in this FAQ). We had some additional discussion between CGC/PPS/SPI management and PPS/CGC came to a decision in early May that this would be the best path for the customer.
Q: Does this mean Stern Pinball will be building all of the PPS/CGC games?
A: This decision is for MMR, that is the focus. There have been no discussions with SPI about building any more games. We will deliver MMR first, and then consider what the market tells us and proceed based on that.
Q: Why wouldn’t Stern Pinball just sabotage the game or the dates, etc?
A: SPI has a strong reputation and the industry is very small. Additionally, this supports SPI’s business in terms of contract manufacturing (assembly), and our customers are in many cases SPI’s customers and visa-versa – the pinball community is a very tight space, and any negatives like this would not serve SPI. CGC has an ongoing business relationship with SPI, providing Cabinets and Playfields for SPI games, so there is a strong business and industry relationship there. PPS has always been on respectful terms with SPI (and we are the exclusive provider of Gary Stern’s personal Jelly Belly stash!). In the end, the market players are embracing the ‘coompetition model’ – where players can both ‘compete’ but also ‘cooperate’ at the same time – a refreshing option in this case which we believe will benefit all of our customers.

2 months later
#32 9 years ago

Update regarding pre production games that have been made. Sorry I've been behind Ill try and post info in this thread as soon as I get a chance.

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 84.99
Cabinet - Armor And Blades
FlyLand Designs

Gameroom - Decorations
Pinball Photos LLC

$ 15.00
Cabinet - Decals
Bent Mods

$ 130.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Pinwize.com

$ 45.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lermods

$ 35.00
Cabinet - Other
Rocket City Pinball

$ 129.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lermods

$ 119.99
Cabinet - (Alt) Translites
FlyLand Designs

$ 89.99
Lighting - Led
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 79.99
Cabinet - Armor And Blades
PinGraffix Pinside Shop

Gameroom - Decorations
Rocket City Pinball

$ 1,059.00
Pinball Machine
Mircoplayfields

$ 35.00
Boards
Pinball Haus

€ 99.00
Lighting - Under Cabinet
Watssapen shop

$ 89.99
Lighting - Led
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 399.00
Cabinet - Decals
Mircoplayfields

$ 9.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

Eproms
Matt's Basement Arcade

$ 64.99
$ 35.00
Cabinet - Other
Rocket City Pinball

Machine - For Sale
Bristow, VA
€ 99.00
Lighting - Under Cabinet
Watssapen shop

$ 44.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lermods

Eproms
Matt's Basement Arcade

$ 100.00
Cabinet - Decals
Creative Mods

$ 16.95
Playfield - Protection
ULEKstore

$ 24.99
Cabinet - Decals
Bent Mods

Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
PPmods

Hey modders!
Your shop name here

This topic is closed.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/medieval-madness-remake-updates and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.