• 10 posts
  • 5 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 2 years ago by Ballypinball
  • Topic is favorited by 2 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

#1 2 years ago

Hey all -

Sorry, I'm guessing I'll have new pinball machine owner questions for a while. Thanks to joefox22 and LTG for some help on my previous issue (I did get the replacement castle base, got it swapped in, and all works great).

Current issue is that neither the catapult launch or the ejection from the moat are working - with balls just sitting there without being launched. The switches trigger (for instance, on the catapult, I can see the screen animation of the rock being tossed), sounds for the launch are going with the shaker motor spinning (repeatedly) - the solenoids just don't seem to be firing.

As far as I can tell, the machine knows the ball is there and wants to fire, but it's just not working. I traced the wires from both to the solenoid board, tried hooking/unhooking a few times to re-seat, etc - all seems to be fine there.

I've tried doing some things in test mode, but can't figure out exactly how to do it. The only errors right now that I'm getting are that the right ramp switch isn't working, and that the dragon ramp to the damsel is stuck open (which it does from time-to-time, and I just need to reach in and push it forward a bit and it snaps back up). For this issue, I think I either have to just adjust some ramp placements or else shave off some plastic - but that shouldn't be affecting the solenoids, I don't think.

Thanks so much for the help! Appreciate it.

#2 2 years ago

There should be a solenoid/coil test within the tests menu where you can select an individual solenoid to fire

Have you checked the related fuse?

#4 2 years ago
Quoted from zacaj:

There should be a solenoid/coil test within the tests menu where you can select an individual solenoid to fire
Have you checked the related fuse?

I think there are two parts of this question, and I'm lost on both.

1) . How do I get the individual solenoid to fire? I tried going through all the test options, but nothing happens (to any of the solenoids). I'm wondering if I can't do that when the door is open, so I have to disable the safety feature. I'll try that.

2) . How would I check the fuse? Sorry if that's a total newb question - just trying to get started, and I like the idea of fixing these myself (teach to fish, etc) as opposed to calling a tech to come over all the time. I'd rather save that call for periodic overhauls and catastrophic things I can't figure out.

#5 2 years ago

Holy cow, that's actually super helpful. I was wondering if it had something to do with that raised board. I'll try that out and report back later today.

#6 2 years ago
Quoted from josh-from-mn:

I was wondering if it had something to do with that raised board. I'll try that out and report back later today.

Every few weeks my castle destruct quits working or gets intermittent. I just raise the PF and push down on the chip and all is good for another few weeks to month. Been doing it for years.

#7 2 years ago

I'm wondering if I can't do that when the door is open, so I have to disable the safety feature. I'll try that

You do need to push in that safety switch, yes.

How would I check the fuse

It's been a while since I was in an mmr but I think there were fuses on the driver board. It may list in your manual which fuse controls which coil. Take the fuse in question out and check the resistance/continuity with a multimeter

#8 2 years ago

I think there are two parts of this question, and I'm lost on both.
1) . How do I get the individual solenoid to fire? I tried going through all the test options, but nothing happens (to any of the solenoids). I'm wondering if I can't do that when the door is open, so I have to disable the safety feature. I'll try that.
2) . How would I check the fuse? Sorry if that's a total newb question - just trying to get started, and I like the idea of fixing these myself (teach to fish, etc) as opposed to calling a tech to come over all the time. I'd rather save that call for periodic overhauls and catastrophic things I can't figure out.

1) The coin door needs to be closed. You can still control the menus with flipper and start buttons, but if the door is open high power is cut off (solenoids need that)
2) Check the manual (https://www.chicago-gaming.com/manuals/MMR_Manual_Rev_1_2.pdf) pages 1-56 and 1-57. If CR2, CR3 and CR4 LEDs are on when the coin door is closed fuses should be good. You can also remove the fuses from the solenoid driver board and measure continuity with a multimeter (don't do this while the power is on)

#9 2 years ago

Thanks everyone! Fuse was the issue - it's loose, which is odd. I gave it a nudge, and then the tests work. Toss a few balls in with the door closed - great. Glass on, castle goes, shaker fires, and then it's loose again. Happened a few more times. Ill look in to it more tomorrow, guessing I can tighten that holder a bit.

#10 2 years ago

the 8 driver boards connections come loose where they join the large board
push the connectors back in and hot glue or silicone the connector

shaker motor causes it

Hey there! Got a moment?

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run thanks to donations from our visitors? Please donate to Pinside, support the site and get anext to your username to show for it! Donate to Pinside