New! Dark mode!

Browsing Pinside at night? Getting tired of all the white? Switch to dark mode using the button in the top right (or CTRL-B)!

(Topic ID: 76122)

Medieval Madness - rare blue playfield

By christianffm

6 years ago

Topic Stats

• 24 posts
  • 14 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 6 years ago by CaptainNeo
  • Topic is favorited by 2 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

There have been 4 images uploaded to this topic. (View topic image gallery).

IMG_5603.jpg
MM prototype.jpg
mm5.jpg
mm1.jpg

#1 6 years ago

Hi all,

I have some questions about the very rare blue version of the MM playfield.
Who has more information about this playfield?
How many play fields have been produced?
When was this playfield used?

The only information that I could find was this: http://www.hsapinball.com/HSA_PINBALL/hsa143.html

You can find some high res pics of my pin here: http://www.promotionaktion.com/mm1klein.zip 45 MB

Best

Christian

mm1.jpg mm5.jpg
#2 6 years ago

Maybe this old thread will help?

https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/fs-new-medieval-madness-repro-playfields-dark-purple-run

The purple playfields were a recent reproduction.

#3 6 years ago

Sorry - ignore my post above. I read "purple" for some reason.

Can't help you with the blue - although it looks cool...

#4 6 years ago

Yes, I like it very much. Is there anyone else who has information about the blue playfield?

#5 6 years ago

That apron is pretty sweet too

#6 6 years ago

On the IPDB, there is a photo of the castle insert area of the playfield (shown below). The castles are surrounded by a blue border on the MM prototypes, while the production versions have white borders. Other than that, I don't know of any other differences between prototype and production playfields.

There were some other non-playfield related prototype/production differences discussed a while ago (maybe 12 years ago) on the RGP forums, like how the prototype MM's didn't have the plastic triangle shaped guides on the floor of the ramp entrances, and about a possible wider set of dragon wings.

I don't know how many prototypes were made.MM prototype.jpg

#7 6 years ago

I'm talking about the area above the castles. This area in normally purple. On my playfield it is blue

IMG_5603.jpg
#8 6 years ago

Already seen also the blue color MM plfd
Mine is blue and i have a other playfield in purple
but Purple looks better !
Blue is probably faded with the sun in past

#9 6 years ago
Quoted from christianffm:

I'm talking about the area above the castles. This area in normally purple. On my playfield it is blue

Ah, I see. No idea about that.

#10 6 years ago
Quoted from pinballM:

Already seen also the blue color MM plfd
Mine is blue and i have a other playfield in purple
but Purple looks better !
Blue is probably faded with the sun in past

No, it is not from the sun. The rest of the playfield should be faded too.... The pin was not faded by the sun at all.
Do you have a production date of the pin with your blue playfield?

#12 6 years ago

Any chance you could pull your apron and take a picture of the registration?

#13 6 years ago
Quoted from christianffm:

The rest of the playfield should be faded too....

Not necessarily. Red is usually the color that fades quickest and first when exposed to UV rays(it can happen without direct sunlight, too). Blue + red = purple. Yours could have been one of the early light purple playfields that just got a bit of sunlight and now that the red percentage of the color has faded, all that's left is the blue.

Not saying that's what has happened with yours, but it is possible. It happens with TZ playfields a lot, too. The red burst in the center just above the main flippers fades to pink.

#14 6 years ago

You can pull up a ramp and look under the steel flap to see if there is fading on the playfield.

#15 6 years ago
Quoted from vid1900:

You can pull up a ramp and look under the steel flap to see if there is fading on the playfield.

good point.

#16 6 years ago

I believe my playfield is also blue. I find it hard to believe that its from fade, I'll probably pull up a ramp flap today and take a peek.

#17 6 years ago

Doesn't look like there's any fade to me. The reds in the castle insert area and upper playfield are still vibrant. Looks like a screenprinting variation.

#18 6 years ago

Christian:

The playfield on the HSA website is mine. I can post my game S/N and date of manufacture later tonight. I think it may have been originally shipped to Spain when new. Williams sent their games to Europe first so if it were a prototype maybe that makes sense??

Bob

#19 6 years ago

could just be a color ink density variant. B/W used several playfield makers. Each one had different colors. CFTBL is the most noticable from different runs, but I have seen it with many other games as well.

or it could be faded. I have seen games like TZ, where the reds are faded to pink, but the plastics and cabinet look perfect. Usually caused from lighting shining down on the playfield, or skylights. Shines down on the playfield in a certain spot each day. Only takes 30 days and the shit is faded already. I've seen a game that looked like new, sit by a window, and within 30 days, all the reds were orange on that side of the cabinet. Doesn't take years...takes days.

#20 6 years ago

Your TZ example is incorrect, however. There were two variations on the TZ reds from different suppliers, one was very pinkish and the other a deeper red. I believe the first TZ PF repros were more pink, and there were more recent runs where it was more reddened. If you're talking about just TZ cabinets then yes, those faded very easily.

#21 6 years ago

TZ playfields fade too. I've restored well over 15 playfields, and i've seen the fade first hand many times over. Some are orange, some are pink. You can tell which ones are factory ink density errors, and which ones are faded by the posts outline.

#22 6 years ago

But never blue, huh?

#23 6 years ago

I should know better than to question CaptainNeo, interesting that they can fade as well. My installed playfield is pink (and came that way from the factory) and the other original one that I just had cleared is very red. I like them both, but prefer my installed playfield for its green lock insert

#24 6 years ago

Like I said, B/W loved having playfields printed with 2 or 3 different companies during production. So there are lots of variations.

Promoted items from the Pinside Marketplace
Gameroom - Decorations
Rocket City Pinball
$ 999.00
Pinball Machine
Mircoplayfields
Eproms
Matt's Basement Arcade
$ 90.00
Lighting - Under Cabinet
Rock Custom Pinball
$ 16.95
Playfield - Protection
ULEKstore
$ 69.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
The MOD Couple
$ 19.99
Electronics
PinballElectronics.com
€ 8.10
Flipper Parts
Buthamburg
$ 45.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lermods
$ 399.95
Lighting - Led
Pin Stadium Pinball Mods
$ 89.99
Wanted
Machine - Wanted
San Antonio, TX
$ 29.99
Cabinet - Other
Rock Custom Pinball
$ 24.99
Cabinet - Decals
Bent Mods
Boards
PinSound
$ 59.00
Gameroom - Decorations
Pinball Sales
$ 119.99
Cabinet - (Alt) Translites
FlyLand Designs
$ 99.00
Playfield - Other
Arcade Upkeep
Apparel - Men
Pinside Shop
$ 37.50
$ 139.99
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Bent Mods
$ 35.00
Boards
Pinball Haus
$ 499.95
Lighting - Led
Pin Stadium Pinball Mods
$ 369.00
Cabinet - Decals
Mircoplayfields
$ 279.95
Lighting - Led
Pin Stadium Pinball Mods
$ 44.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lermods
Hey modders!
Your shop name here

Hey there! Got a moment?

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run thanks to donations from our visitors? Please donate to Pinside, support the site and get anext to your username to show for it! Donate to Pinside