Linked Games

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

4F546248-1E2A-42BD-ABD9-B28A6B971748 (resized).jpeg
59689297-E88D-4882-AA32-A452C96DFD5E (resized).jpeg
IMG_0760 (resized).JPG
IMG_0758 (resized).JPG
#1 6 years ago

Hoping someone can give me some ideas to try here.

During regular gameplay, the Left Popper switch to get the ball out of the moat is triggered randomly.

In the switch tests, everything seems to function fine, but in the switch edge test, hitting the flippers can trigger extra switches, including the left popper.
See video of test. https://vimeo.com/251056406

Any ideas?

#2 6 years ago

Probably vibration. You need to gap that switch a little. Look for anything loose under there while your at it.

#3 6 years ago

The left popper is an optoswitch; how do I gap that? Or is there another switch involved that I am missing?

I have taken black and white sides both out, cleaned and resoldered and also checked optoboard underneath play field.

#4 6 years ago

Should not be an opto, the rim switch or skirt at the bottom of the pop number that the ball hits pushes down on a spoon under the playfield. Buzz is correct, you have to adjust the switch gap.

Basically the skirt wiggles its little Willy in the spoon, found some pics online to help (from performance Pinball)

IMG_0758 (resized).JPGIMG_0758 (resized).JPG
IMG_0760 (resized).JPGIMG_0760 (resized).JPG

#5 6 years ago

Sorry for the confusion;

The Jets all work; it is the bottom of the moat. The solenoid to get the ball out of the moat and back on the play field is labeled “left popper” in the test menu and is only an opto as far as I can see.

59689297-E88D-4882-AA32-A452C96DFD5E (resized).jpeg59689297-E88D-4882-AA32-A452C96DFD5E (resized).jpeg

4F546248-1E2A-42BD-ABD9-B28A6B971748 (resized).jpeg4F546248-1E2A-42BD-ABD9-B28A6B971748 (resized).jpeg

#6 6 years ago

Looks like those opto were replaces once before and there could be a cold solder joint. Those wires are a little messy with a burn mark on the board.

Also blow some canned air into the optos first to make sure they are not dirty.

But I would think if you put the game in switch edge test you could trigger it with a little jiggling and banging.

#7 6 years ago
Quoted from Taxman:

But I would think if you put the game in switch edge test you could trigger it with a little jiggling and banging.

Went through them again, no luck triggering in switch edge accidentally. Chances it is the Optos themselves or the optoboard?

#8 6 years ago

If is was an opto it would trigger as a switch (opto failing, dirty or wire).

The only reason for the popper to fire is it thinks a ball is there. The only reason for it to think a ball is there is for the CPU to get a triggered switch. So from opto to the 10-opto board to the CPU switch matrix all does one thing. Tell the CPU a switch it triggered.

Unless during game play one switch is triggering another. With physical switches this normally means a diode on a switch making it look like another was closed. If a component on the 10-opto board is failing (like an LM339) it would still register as a switch triggering.

When you say it fires during gameplay is it random? Is the ball triggering a different opto? How often does it happen?

#9 6 years ago
Quoted from Taxman:

When you say it fires during gameplay is it random? Is the ball triggering a different opto? How often does it happen?

Ball doesn’t seem to trigger other opto.

The only thing I’ve been able to isolate in play and testing is the flippers sometimes appear to trigger a few switches.

Left or right flipper by itself seems okay, both at once will trigger the left popper, castle, etc.

#10 6 years ago

Here is a video of the issue isolated in the Switch Edge test.

https://vimeo.com/251056406

#11 6 years ago

I didn't know this was also triggered by both flippers.

Question, did you install any mods or LED strings where you needed to tap into the 12v power?

#12 6 years ago
Quoted from _xizor:

Chances it is the Optos themselves

Clean the optos with a moist Q-Tip. Remove the old solder for the wires to the optos and flow on new. You can remove the whole assembly by two connectors and three screws, and work at a table. Be sure new solder joints are clean and good.

If problem remains, replace both sides, transmitter and receiver.

LTG : )

#13 6 years ago
Quoted from Taxman:

I didn't know this was also triggered by both flippers.
Question, did you install any mods or LED strings where you needed to tap into the 12v power?

All mods have been removed (had troll eyes and wizard using 12v taps, both off right now)

5 months later
#14 5 years ago

Hey folks,

Thought I'd bump the post and see if anyone has any other ideas I can try.

The issue has gotten a bit worse, but essentially the same.

When the flippers are engaged certain coils will randomly fire.

Primarily the left popper and now I also get an additional ball put into play once in a while.
The issue is the same as it is seen in the video, when flippers are engaged other things start to register.

I've went through the game looking for loose connections, wires, etc. but have found nothing obvious. Any ideas?

#15 5 years ago
Quoted from _xizor:

Hey folks,
Thought I'd bump the post and see if anyone has any other ideas I can try.
The issue has gotten a bit worse, but essentially the same.
When the flippers are engaged certain coils will randomly fire.
Primarily the left popper and now I also get an additional ball put into play once in a while.
The issue is the same as it is seen in the video, when flippers are engaged other things start to register.
I've went through the game looking for loose connections, wires, etc. but have found nothing obvious. Any ideas?

Do you have a ColorDMD in the game? Disconnect that and see if the problem goes away. You might have a problem with the 12 volts unregulated.

#16 5 years ago
Quoted from DCFAN:

Do you have a ColorDMD in the game? Disconnect that and see if the problem goes away. You might have a problem with the 12 volts unregulated.

Ha!
Unplugging the ColorDMD made the issue go away. Any recommendation on what to address on the 12v side?

#17 5 years ago
Quoted from _xizor:

Ha!
Unplugging the ColorDMD made the issue go away. Any recommendation on what to address on the 12v side?

Check the 12v unregulated to see the voltage level. If it is low then replace the bridge rectifier components/diodes.

https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/ij-going-crazy-color-dmd-issue

1 week later
#18 5 years ago
Quoted from DCFAN:

Check the 12v unregulated to see the voltage level. If it is low then replace the bridge rectifier components/diodes.
https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/ij-going-crazy-color-dmd-issue

Bah!
I replaced the whole driver board with a new RottenDog and still the same issue when ColorDMD is hooked up...

Any other ideas?

#19 5 years ago
Quoted from _xizor:

Any other ideas?

Separate power source for the color dmd.

#20 5 years ago
Quoted from LTG:

Separate power source for the color dmd.

Yuuup.

Finally bit the bullet and just did the separate power supply.

Everything works great now.

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 130.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Pinwize.com

$ 79.99
Cabinet - Armor And Blades
PinGraffix Pinside Shop

$ 69.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
The MOD Couple

$ 100.00
Cabinet - Decals
Creative Mods

Gameroom - Decorations
Rocket City Pinball

$ 84.99
Cabinet - Armor And Blades
FlyLand Designs

$ 119.99
Cabinet - (Alt) Translites
FlyLand Designs

Eproms
Matt's Basement Arcade

$ 35.00
Boards
Pinball Haus

$ 9.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 64.99
Machine - For Sale
Bristow, VA
$ 54.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 45.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lermods

$ 399.00
Cabinet - Decals
Mircoplayfields

Gameroom - Decorations
Pinball Photos LLC

$ 129.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lermods

€ 99.00
Lighting - Under Cabinet
Watssapen shop

$ 89.99
Lighting - Led
Lighted Pinball Mods

Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
PPmods

$ 24.99
Cabinet - Decals
Bent Mods

$ 1,059.00
Pinball Machine
Mircoplayfields

Eproms
Matt's Basement Arcade

€ 99.00
Lighting - Under Cabinet
Watssapen shop

$ 44.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lermods

$ 37.99
Lighting - Interactive
Lee's Parts

$ 35.00
Cabinet - Other
Rocket City Pinball

$ 89.99
Lighting - Led
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 9.95

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/medieval-madness-left-popper-activated-randomly-during-game-play and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.