• No one calls this topic a favorite

You

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

image-639.jpg
image.jpg
#1 8 years ago

Likely going to look at a MM (original, not MMR) for sale this weekend. Bought and sold a number of pins before so I know the basics and generic issues of 1990s W/B machines. Just wondering if there any advice about game specific issues relative to MM that I should pay special attention to?

#2 8 years ago

Do the pinballs stay in or often bounce out of the Merlin hole is a common concern. In many originals they often do and it wouldn't be a deal breaker for me and you can put things around the hole to help that. I believe there's a dealer or two that make some things to help so the ball often does stay in more basically some stuff that's sticky on one side you attach. Although some here have suggested back handing that shot helps if you prefer just to increase skill and make no adjustments. On some machine the balls can bounce out of the castle and not register an important shot including destroying a castle. This is usually just a minor adjustment. When I bought mine the castle gate appeared to go down before I had earned it to do that sometimes. I finally figured out the optos near the gate needed some adjusting. On some games over time some of the parts of the castles don't stand up straight and lean a lot. Again none of these individually are horrible and there are many good threads in fixing these and others concerns.

Then of course there's the usual playfield, artwork, and cabinet condition that are considerations in any pin you buy. Also switches that need adjusting and other things but above I tried to include what I know of unique things to look out for with MM. I hope this works out for you.

#3 8 years ago

If i was in front of The machine, i would hit test buttom. And then i would check all castle area ( castle exploding animation, bridge and gate) and troll in test or game. There is also a usual playfield wear above flippers.
Excellent choice, best ever.

#4 8 years ago

Specific things to check where I can think of - there's not too much as MM doesn't use too many special/fragile assemblies.
Drawbridge and trolls is about all there is.. check further for broken plastics, do the switch test, ..

Playfield / insert damage (above flippers).
Playfield damage in left lane where the moat kicks out, on top right lane above rollovers where pinball lands from launch ramp, and in front of castle (ball lock)..

Broken plastics (archers above slingshots are often broken/missing, and the dragon wings)

Do trolls work good, do they come and stay up (selftest for this), and register well.

Does the drawbridge work well, goes up and down (sometimes the gear is missing some teeth and then it'll fall down for the last part) and doesn't make too much noise.

#5 8 years ago

Check to see if the green moat subway plastic is cracked. It breaks where the ball drops in from shooting the castle wall flap. Not a cheap piece.

#6 8 years ago

These are all very helpful responses.
Some of the issues sound like issues common to other machines (Merlin hole like the Mode Start in IJ, cracked moat like the subway in STTNG, gears on the drawbridge like gears in the TZ clock, etc).
I am told by a reputable source who has seen the machine and who has seen my collection many times, (and knows my standards), that the machine is in "superb shape", but I still want to do the most informed inspection I can.
So I am using this information to make a list.
Really appreciate the heads up advice.

#7 8 years ago

Not a deal breaker, but the Troll carriages have a tendency to fracture the welds at the boss where that the 1/2 rod attaches to. If so, it's an easy weld. I can fix them for you if need be. If the Trolls are slow going up and down, good chance the roll pin that holds the 2 bars together, in the coil sleeve, is working it's way out. (Yup, that long rod is 2 put together). Either needs to be taped back in, or eliminate the roll pin, weld and finish it. That's what I did on mine.

Great Machine, you will enjoy the hell out of it.

Good luck!!

#8 8 years ago

Just out of curiosity, is it the one up at Leisure Time Amusement in Winston you'll be looking at? If so, I've seen and played that one a decent amount of times and could tell you about it.

#9 8 years ago
Quoted from The_Director:

Just out of curiosity, is it the one up at Leisure Time Amusement in Winston you'll be looking at? If so, I've seen and played that one a decent amount of times and could tell you about it.

No - belongs to a private collector - but thanks.

#10 8 years ago

Great advice. Picked it up today.
Need some technical advice. The drawbridge does not go all of the way down. (It did when I tested it before transport). Switch test and drawbridge test all ok. Seems like in the down position there is play in the slotted arm that pulls it down or pushes it up. Is there a way to adjust it?

image.jpgimage.jpg image-639.jpgimage-639.jpg
Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
€ 99.00
Lighting - Under Cabinet
Watssapen shop

Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
PPmods

$ 35.00
Boards
Pinball Haus

Eproms
Matt's Basement Arcade

$ 35.00
Cabinet - Other
Rocket City Pinball

$ 44.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lermods

$ 54.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

Machine - For Sale
Bristow, VA
$ 24.99
Cabinet - Decals
Bent Mods

$ 119.99
Cabinet - (Alt) Translites
FlyLand Designs

$ 1,059.00
Pinball Machine
Mircoplayfields

$ 89.99
Lighting - Led
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 89.99
Lighting - Led
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 35.00
Cabinet - Other
Rocket City Pinball

$ 399.00
Cabinet - Decals
Mircoplayfields

$ 84.99
Cabinet - Armor And Blades
FlyLand Designs

$ 12.95
Playfield - Other
Hookedonpinball.com

$ 9.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 15.00
Cabinet - Decals
Bent Mods

$ 225.00
Cabinet - Other
FlyLand Designs

Eproms
Matt's Basement Arcade

$ 100.00
Cabinet - Decals
Creative Mods

€ 99.00
Lighting - Under Cabinet
Watssapen shop

$ 16.95
Playfield - Protection
ULEKstore

$ 45.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lermods

$ 9.95
$ 129.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lermods

$ 79.99
Cabinet - Armor And Blades
PinGraffix Pinside Shop

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/medieval-madness-inspection-advice and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.