(Topic ID: 67177)

Medieval Madness for the masses

By surfsidedetail

10 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

lambo.jpg
    rolex.jpg
    #1 10 years ago

I've seen all the posts about the remakes and how the pinside community has become divided. If owners are dumping their nice original Medieval's, people should grab them at fire sale prices. When the dust settles the nice originals will always command a premium over a reproduction to a true collector. The people that may take the biggest hit are the games with new decals, reproduction playfields, etc.

I understand the ecstatic welcoming of a more affordable chance to own a Medieval. However if the high dollar collectors dump their machines or stop buying it will definitely not be good for future pinball. All the new money in pinball has made this an exciting time to be in the hobby but what happens when the money stops flowing. People have been complaining about the lack of pinball innovation yet the masses run to buy a reproduced classic. I'm not a huge fan of Stern games or WOZ but at least they are making something new.

I think "original" Medieval owners should not panic as I don't when a new reproduction high end watch pops up. Most collectors pay a premium for originals but there are those out there that buy from the guy in the coat. He sells brand new versions with or without a box at a substantional discount. They look the same, both tell time and are built to the same exacting standards .

Have fun guys its only pinball

rolex.jpgrolex.jpg
    #2 10 years ago

You seem to be missing one thing. The guy with the watches are selling fake reproductions. PPS has the license and is selling authorized new licenses. Hard to compare those two scenarios.

#3 10 years ago

These MM will be built in the same plant by the people who made the original MM playfields and cabinets and PPS has Original Bally / Williams parts. Not quite the same as buying a fake Rolex from freaky dude in a trench coat

#4 10 years ago
    Quoted from surfsidedetail:

However if the high dollar collectors dump their machines or stop buying it will definitely not be good for future pinball.

Hmm.. Maybe you mean "not be good for the future of my business"?
    possibly?
    maybe..

#5 10 years ago

Well there really shouldn't be any sort of a "fire sale" until these actually start getting produced and getting out there in the world. And that's still a very, very long way away. I would expect that once these start going into full production, then you will see the full effect of the price drops. Plus you'd think they'd continue to want to play them until the new ones start coming in.

#6 10 years ago
    Quoted from Scooby:

You seem to be missing one thing. The guy with the watches are selling fake reproductions. PPS has the license and is selling authorized new licenses. Hard to compare those two scenarios.

I'm not saying the machines are fake but they are still "reproductions". There are high quality swiss reproduction watches that are more accurate than the real deal but they will never command more.

#7 10 years ago
    Quoted from RawleyD:

Hmm.. Maybe you mean "not be good for the future of my business"?
    possibly?
    maybe..

If I was sitting on 10 routed ones waiting for restoration maybe not so smart haha

#8 10 years ago

I just added a Lamborghini Aventador to my garage (Sorry the coach builder was NOT AUTHORIZED or LICENSED)

lambo.jpglambo.jpg
    #9 10 years ago

I've seen all the posts about the remakes and how the pinside community has become divided. If owners are dumping their nice original Medieval's, people should grab them at fire sale prices. When the dust settles the nice originals will always command a premium over a reproduction to a true collector. The people that may take the biggest hit are the games with new decals, reproduction playfields, etc.
    I understand the ecstatic welcoming of a more affordable chance to own a Medieval. However if the high dollar collectors dump their machines or stop buying it will definitely not be good for future pinball. All the new money in pinball has made this an exciting time to be in the hobby but what happens when the money stops flowing. People have been complaining about the lack of pinball innovation yet the masses run to buy a reproduced classic. I'm not a huge fan of Stern games or WOZ but at least they are making something new.
    I think "original" Medieval owners should not panic as I don't when a new reproduction high end watch pops up. Most collectors pay a premium for originals but there are those out there that buy from the guy in the coat. He sells brand new versions with or without a box at a substantional discount. They look the same, both tell time and are built to the same exacting standards .
    Have fun guys its only pinball

Base games were worth around 9K, restored games go for around 15 and up.
    All that has changed now a base game is worth around 4K because you have to put around 4K in parts and about 80 hours of your time to do the job to get an 8K game.
    Unfortunately ops no longer have these games and the flippers grab up the base games and suck all the profit out to the point where it is a waste of time anymore to bother with them.
    The best bang for your buck now is low play HUO Stern games (LEs in the mid 4K range) and in a year or so you will be able to get MMR. for 65 or less.
    I am having fun, I just am not building games anymore I am just playing them.
    Gotta roll with the changes, with this remake and other titles on the horizon there will be plenty of games coming up for sale and it is a buyers market right now.

#10 10 years ago

If I was asking 13k for one on craigslist I would feel the same way my friend. Good luck with your sale.

#11 10 years ago
    Quoted from tracelifter:

Base games were worth around 9K, restored games go for around 15 and up.
    All that has changed now a base game is worth around 4K because you have to put around 4K in parts and about 80 hours of your time to do the job to get an 8K game.
    Unfortunately ops no longer have these games and the flippers grab up the base games and suck all the profit out to the point where it is a waste of time anymore to bother with them.
    The best bang for your buck now is low play HUO Stern games (LEs in the mid 4K range) and in a year or so you will be able to get MMR. for 65 or less.
    I am having fun, I just am not building games anymore I am just playing them.
    Gotta roll with the changes, with this remake and other titles on the horizon there will be plenty of games coming up for sale and it is a buyers market right now.

Future MMR owners will not like to accept the fact that you have predicted the future. No more buying NIB games and getting to play them for free + interest when you want something else

#12 10 years ago
    Quoted from MGMPIN:

If I was asking 13k for one on craigslist I would feel the same way my friend. Good luck with your sale.

Thanks for the blessing

#13 10 years ago

$8k is fire sale prices now?

#15 10 years ago

A MM sold at Chi Expo for 4500, no kidding, it was posted on the back box!

#16 10 years ago
    Quoted from centerflank:

A MM sold at Chi Expo for 4500, no kidding, it was posted on the back box!

Guess the going rate for MM is now $4500. Who wants mine before I burn it?

#17 10 years ago

Are you serious? You have managed to fly under the radar buying every damn thing that hits Craigslist and then selling it for hundreds/thousands more after doing almost nothing to it for a very long time now. You really try to start a thread to preserve the prices for MM when you are actively selling one? Do you even play the games before you flip them? Are you even in the hobby? Sorry there Surfside, but I just have to call BS on this sad post. Unreal.

#18 10 years ago

Guess the going rate for MM is now $4500. Who wants mine before I burn it?

Il give you 3K and include shipping at my expense.

#19 10 years ago
    Quoted from dapperdan24:

Are you serious? You have managed to fly under the radar buying every damn thing that hits Craigslist and then selling it for hundreds/thousands more after doing almost nothing to it for a very long time now. You really try to start a thread to preserve the prices for MM when you are actively selling one? Do you even play the games before you flip them? Are you even in the hobby? Sorry there Surfside, but I just have to call BS on this sad post. Unreal.

My one thread is going to preserve prices? I don't set, create or preserve prices the market determines that. I've had a MM for sale for awhile.

I like to stir the pot and chime in on all the madness

#20 10 years ago
    Quoted from centerflank:

Il give you 3K and include shipping at my expense.

How bout a straight trade for Popeye?

#21 10 years ago

How bout a straight trade for Popeye?

I dont know, Popeye is now much lower production. Probably a better keeper in the long run. I hear EptheGeek is going to redo the code, but you didnt hear that shit from me

#22 10 years ago

People have been complaining about the lack of pinball innovation yet the masses run to buy a reproduced classic.

The key word there is "classic". It's called that for a reason. It's fun.

#23 10 years ago

I think "original" Medieval owners should not panic as I don't when a new reproduction high end watch pops up. Most collectors pay a premium for originals but there are those out there that buy from the guy in the coat.

But that's like, your opinion, man but given that you are currently selling one (or more) MM, I simply could not help laughing...

#24 10 years ago
    Quoted from dapperdan24:

My one thread is going to preserve prices? I don't set, create or preserve prices the market determines that. I've had a MM for sale for awhile.
    I like to stir the pot and chime in on all the madness

You avoided the real question....do you play them?

#25 10 years ago
    Quoted from PinballKen:

You avoided the real question....do you play them?

Yes my Old Chicago and Joker Poker. DMDs are overrated

#26 10 years ago

At the end of the day, we the collectors/hobbyists can just play and enjoy our pins/toys, and not worry about prices. Can you say the same about all your inventories?

#27 10 years ago

I didn't realize Rick had such a nice coat that hat however has to go.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/medieval-madness-for-the-masses and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.