Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 13 posts
  • 11 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 9 years ago by labnip
  • No one calls this topic a favorite

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

#1 9 years ago

There is an ad on the Pinside market for a Medieval Madness and says to "make offer", location Tawas City , Mi, the picts in the ad are from Chattanooga Pinball for one they had for sale a while back, the MM is in the foreground and has 6 other pins on the right and a couple gaming machines on the left in the ad, the picture is identical to the ad Chattanooga Pinball used. I asked for picts of the machine inside and out and the photos have "choochoo" logos on them. You can tell from spelling errors and the wording in the ad and subsequent emails that the seller probably is overseas, more than likely Africa.

#2 9 years ago

Yup, thats Chatt Pinball for sure, I know it well. I have frozen the account as possible spam and sent to Robin to investigate. Thanks for letting us know.

#3 9 years ago

these are popping up more and more here. I hope Robin and the Mods are working out behind the scenes how to curb this. Pinside ads are the only way I look for games anymore. The other venues I used to look got too scammy and full of people trying yo make big $$$.

Maybe a forum post threshhold before someone can post an ad to the marketplace?

#4 9 years ago
    Quoted from DrStarkweather:

these are popping up more and more here. I hope Robin and the Mods are working out behind the scenes how to curb this. Pinside ads are the only way I look for games anymore. The other venues I used to look got too scammy and full of people trying yo make big $$$.
    Maybe a forum post threshhold before someone can post an ad to the marketplace?

^^^^^^Great idea. I just noticed a HUO LOTR for sale for $3750 on Pinside from a user that just opened an account. If it didn't say pick-up only I would have been very skeptical.

#5 9 years ago

He was willing to ship before receiving any money "on Approval", so I don't know what his next step would of been since he really does not have the machine. The first big clue should always be the language as there are usually MANY language issues in their conversations, he probably was in a hurry also so that he could send the next series of emails to others telling them they won the lottery in some foreign country or "you inherited 50 bizillion dollars" please send a $5000 processing fee, I receive 1-5 of those daily.

#6 9 years ago

The other big clue is he has only been a Pinside member since Nov 4 this year, that's when he posted the ad.

#7 9 years ago
    Quoted from DrStarkweather:

Yes we are actively working on this! For starters, I have just added a "new user" warning message to any ads that are placed by members < 30 days. But we are thinking of other ways to help you decide the trustworthiness of a seller on the market place. Stay tuned, more info coming soon.

#8 9 years ago

Maybe requiring a few months of membeship before being able to sell a pin. That would help curtail the people trying to make a quick buck off the great people here on pinside.

#9 9 years ago
    Quoted from LitzDoc:

Maybe requiring a few months of membeship before being able to sell a pin. That would help curtail the people trying to make a quick buck off the great people here on pinside.

A better alternative is a refundable deposit? I am sure that the scam ads would disappear overnight.

#10 9 years ago

Seller feedback system would help with that and those grossly misrepresenting for sale items.

#11 9 years ago

if you had a waiting period of one month and had to have at least x number of post on forum first i am sure all bogus ads would disappear as well.

#12 9 years ago

there is also some other wackjob trying to sell a Star Wars Trilogy by posting it (I think it was....) 6-7 times!? what-up-with-dat?

#13 9 years ago

for the last year, some crazy guy says he has a thousand NIB MM's. he's taking payment on them too

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/medieval-madness-for-sale-scam and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.