• 59 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 11 years ago by cal50
  • Topic is favorited by 1 Pinsider

You

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

150_tits.gif

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider richthofen.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#29 11 years ago
Quoted from Pinwizkid:

Haha
Wow, this is flat out insane. I have worked real hard for the last 3 years to save up roughly this amount of money for a down payment on A HOUSE. Hopefully I'll be rich one day so I can afford a beat up EM or two.
-BB

$22k is probably not even 1% of the value of most houses in Long Island.

But yeah, if it costs $22k to do a HEP restore, then I would fathom to say it's not worth it. That's what, three brand new LE sterns, at 100% retail price, shipped? (Or a WOZ + Sterns?)

#52 11 years ago
Quoted from o-din:

Around 1980, you could purchase a Shelby AC Cobra for around $10,000. It's only a matter of time before Barrett-Jackson starts wheeling these HEP MMs out between Shelbys and Hemi Mopars.

What cost $10000 in 1980 would cost $26868.17 in 2011.

Here's one listed for $34k. http://inv.idealclassiccars.net/view/1811/Maroon-1965-AC-Cobra-in-Sarasota-FL

I don't think the price really increased beyond inflation *that* much. If you consider than in 33 years that a number of the cars probably were lost/wrecked, that the price has mostly matched inflation + the value of a dwindling supply.

The problem I have is that most of the MM sales above say 10k is something that's happened in the last 3 years? so let's say you can buy a MM for 5k in 2008. Now it's 22k. 400% inflation over four years. that's a much different story and worth talking about.

#91 11 years ago
Quoted from BackFlipper:

With a HEP MM clear coated play field, a HEP MM cabinet, all the MM mods, nickel trim everywhere, a HEP MM quality head and boards, that Jd can reach for the stars. If you're going to dream, dream big!

Yeah but is this all really worth it? I mean, assuming it's dialed in, how much 'better' does an HEP pin play versus a routed one?

The games I have the most fun on lately are newer Sterns, and mostly because they've seen less plays and tend to have stronger flippers and less wear that affects key shots. If you keep a MM dialed in, service the flippers, slings, pops and catapult, and keep the ramps adjusted, is having a shiny HEP version really that much better? I mean, I appreciate the 'looks' and art of a pin, 100%. But I sure enjoy playing them a lot more. And dishing out $22k vs maybe finding a rougher machine for half that, which might be able to play just as good... and then having a lot left over for other fun games. I guess I'd rather be in the latter camp than the former.

I used to be in the 'has to be perfect' camp back when I was a teenager fixing up cars. But after I got my first paint job on my first 'nice' car, and I found my first gouge from a rock on the highway in the paint job, I had to learn that you can have pretty things, and you can use pretty things, but if you use them, they won't stay pretty forever. I almost fell in that trap with pinball, too. If you go back in my post history I remember once I started realizing what playfield wear was, I freaked out and got really bummed out that my Super Mario Bros (HA!) would never be 'perfect'. The crew here at pinside straightened me out though.

I guess what I'm saying is, for $22k I'd much rather have lots of machines than a nickel-plated 'collectors item'.

#124 11 years ago
Quoted from Underspin:

It's something worth considering. $12-15K might be crazy but if collectors are paying stupid money to own one, why not? I have no idea what it costs to build a machine (plus the licensing/royalties) but if he can make a profit on a $6,500 Hobbit, he sure as hell can make a profit on a $12,000 MM.

There's a few caveats here:

Some of the people blowing 15k+ on MM are doing so because it's an original. It's hard to say how much of that market would only be interested in an original Williams machine vs a reproduction. Over time reproductions have typically not held their value.

Also, it's very hard to say how many people in the collector community have $15k available for an MM, repro or not. Part of what is making the price of these so high is that there is only ever X number of machines available to buy at any one time. If the market all of the sudden absorbed 500 machines, I highly doubt that there are 500 people with powder dry waiting in line at that point, or that the price holds at 15k.

Another factor that has these machines selling at high prices are expectations that people can cash in and get their money back out of them fairly quickly if they want to. Given a deeper supply in the market, do people want to front that money knowing the competition to sell will be larger?

#132 11 years ago
Quoted from cal50:

Very true but more old school than the younger generation. A former company I worked for the CEO was definitely old school. The man was a legit multimillionaire and drove a Delta 88 and parked in the "regular" employees lot. If he walked through the factory he knew everyone by name and actually said an honest "hello" is yo passed by.
Today that company is public traded and managed and run by zero of the original family. Segregated parking for "management" and loaded with turbo Porsche,Sabb, Volvo, etc.
All the "new" management could give a rat's ass about anybody as well.
Just a number.

Not to get political, but I agree with this sentiment wholeheartedly. Seems like lots of companies these days squeeze every nickel out of their employees, and worship at the altar of the shareholder. If I ran a company, I would be ashamed if I couldn't pay my employees a strong wage.

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 64.99
$ 35.00
Boards
Pinball Haus

Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
PPmods

Machine - For Sale
Bristow, VA
$ 35.00
Cabinet - Other
Rocket City Pinball

$ 69.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
The MOD Couple

$ 1,059.00
Pinball Machine
Mircoplayfields

$ 15.00
Cabinet - Decals
Bent Mods

$ 24.99
Cabinet - Decals
Bent Mods

$ 130.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Pinwize.com

$ 9.95
$ 84.99
Cabinet - Armor And Blades
FlyLand Designs

$ 225.00
Cabinet - Other
FlyLand Designs

$ 399.00
Cabinet - Decals
Mircoplayfields

$ 12.95
Playfield - Other
Hookedonpinball.com

€ 99.00
Lighting - Under Cabinet
Watssapen shop

$ 79.99
Cabinet - Armor And Blades
PinGraffix Pinside Shop

Gameroom - Decorations
Pinball Photos LLC

$ 54.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

Eproms
Matt's Basement Arcade

$ 89.99
Lighting - Led
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 89.99
Lighting - Led
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 16.95
Playfield - Protection
ULEKstore

Gameroom - Decorations
Rocket City Pinball

$ 129.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lermods

$ 37.99
Lighting - Interactive
Lee's Parts

$ 45.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lermods

$ 9.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider richthofen.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/medieval-madness-1997-williams-22000-obo-no-trades-eye-roll?tu=richthofen and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.