Topic Stats

• 133 posts
  • 59 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 7 years ago by cal50
  • Topic is favorited by 1 Pinsider

You

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

One image has been uploaded to this topic. (View topic image gallery).

150_tits.gif

There are 133 posts in this topic. You are on page 3 of 3.
#101 7 years ago

He does say obo. Maybe he would take 21,500

#102 7 years ago
Quoted from Don44:

He does say obo. Maybe he would take 21,500

moot point. the game is sold.

#103 7 years ago
Quoted from Capper96:

With this logic I'll just go invest money to get the rights for the creature statue, pay a guy to build an exact rep of it, then pay another guy to make the hologram. Slap it in my machine, list my creature for 15k, and make all the routed creechs now cost 9 grand.

You can install a gold toilet in your house but that does not raise the value or your home nor does it raise the value of all the other houses on the block.

I'm not quite sure where you are going with this. My point was simply that if there is money to be made, people will make it. If you can buy an MM for $11,000, pay Chris $5,000 to restore it, and then sell it for $18,000, that's a $2,000 profit. If you can sell it for $20,000, that's a $4,000 profit. People are too savvy to leave money like that on the table when it's there for the taking. I'd actually argue that this is one of the reasons Chris is booked up for the next year. People have started to realize that they can get back more than they put into the game because the HEP name carries so much weight. This didn't used to be the case, but it seems to be true now, at least for MM and some of the other most coveted titles.

#104 7 years ago

So Chris was able to restore a complete game without buying a single part?

His labor is 5-6k...plus parts

Quoted from gweempose:

I'm not quite sure where you are going with this. My point was simply that if there is money to be made, people will make it. If you can buy an MM for $11,000, pay Chris $5,000 to restore it, and then sell it for $18,000, that's a $2,000 profit. If you can sell it for $20,000, that's a $4,000 profit. People are too savvy to leave money like that on the table when it's there for the taking. I'd actually argue that this is one of the reasons Chris is booked up for the next year. People have started to realize that they can get back more than they put into the game because the HEP name carries so much weight. This didn't used to be the case, but it seems to be true now, at least for MM and some of the other most coveted titles.

#105 7 years ago
Quoted from Monster_Bash:

So Chris was able to restore a complete game without buying a single part?

Ah, forgot about the parts. That definitely changes the equation. How much do parts cost to do a high-end restore including all the mods?

#106 7 years ago
Quoted from Monster_Bash:

go back to page 2 and he states 4-5500 for the labor.

#107 7 years ago

Maybe, instead of waiting a year to get their machine into HEP and up to another year? to get it back, somebody might pay a little extra to get one thats done.

#108 7 years ago
Quoted from o-din:

Maybe, instead of waiting a year to get their machine into HEP and up to another year? to get it back, somebody might pay a little extra to get one thats done.

Even though my math may have been a bit off, this helps to illustrate the point I was trying to make. It seems to me that a lot of high-end collectors are willing to pay a large premium not to have to wait, and people have begun to take advantage of this fact.

#109 7 years ago

How much would a run of new machines cost? At the rate prices are rising it's becoming a more and more economical option.

#110 7 years ago
Quoted from Sectorseven:

How much would a run of new machines cost? At the rate prices are rising it's becoming a more and more economical option.

People were arguing this when restored ones were going for $10K. Now that they are in the $20K range, it makes even more sense.

#111 7 years ago

This game appears to be listed again on Mr Pinball today.

#112 7 years ago
Quoted from TheLaw:

Great closer, wish I was price.

Yes! Good sale with your luck!

#113 7 years ago
Quoted from Fliptastic:

This game appears to be listed again on Mr Pinball today.

There's a 3 (?) day lag on mr. pinball from when you place your ad. I have no idea if it is sold but the owner stated it was sold.

#114 7 years ago
Quoted from Chambahz:

To quote one of the greatest philosophers of the 20th Century, "It is so choice. If you have the means, I highly recommend picking one up."
Marcus
Anyone else get that quote?
Anyone...
Anyone...

Bill & Ted's?

#115 7 years ago
Quoted from davewtf:

There's a 3 (?) day lag on mr. pinball from when you place your ad. I have no idea if it is sold but the owner stated it was sold.

Gotcha. I didn't know that.

#116 7 years ago
Quoted from jk2171:

Bill & Ted's?

Uh, no Ferris.

#117 7 years ago

Hey Jersey Jack,

After "The Hobbit" you might consider snagging the license to MM and doing 500 or so machines. Looks like you could get about $12,000 per for them....

Just a suggestion. Put me down for two of them.

#118 7 years ago
Quoted from o-din:

This happens with cars all the time. I actually have a buddy in another country who constantly is on the list for high end Italian cars and he pays he deposits (sometimes the full price of the vehicle) but he has never once completed the purchase; always sells his spot for a really good profit (25%-40%) to people who are of the "gotta have it now mind set" . . . which is common in that industry as well.

#119 7 years ago
Quoted from Underspin:

Hey Jersey Jack,
After "The Hobbit" you might consider snagging the license to MM and doing 500 or so machines. Looks like you could get about $12,000 per for them....
Just a suggestion. Put me down for two of them.

Or 15k . . . he could do minor quality improvements, add a few easter eggs (some new surprise call outs or even a new special mode) and really shoot for the moon. He'd make a killing.

#120 7 years ago

HEP is awesome. I still want to own a game he's done.

I disagree on here about dialed in game. Anyone can dial in a game it is just tedious and time consuming. I spent over 4 hrs on Indiana Jones POA dialing it in. Spent hours on LW3 dialing in the pops. It is just tedious work to get it perfect

HEP games are simply all around mint.

#121 7 years ago

Damn....so close, yet so far away.

#122 7 years ago
Quoted from TigerLaw:

This happens with cars all the time. I actually have a buddy in another country who constantly is on the list for high end Italian cars and he pays he deposits (sometimes the full price of the vehicle) but he has never once completed the purchase; always sells his spot for a really good profit (25%-40%) to people who are of the "gotta have it now mind set" . . . which is common in that industry as well.

Yep, probably Ferrari. Most of their LE models are sold out the day they are announced. I don't think they even advertised the GTO from a couple of years ago. They just sent out an e-mail to select Ferrari customers and they were all snatched up. Some were kept, others went to eager buyers not in "the club" for above and beyond sticker.

#123 7 years ago
Quoted from TigerLaw:

Or 15k . . . he could do minor quality improvements, add a few easter eggs (some new surprise call outs or even a new special mode) and really shoot for the moon. He'd make a killing.

It's something worth considering. $12-15K might be crazy but if collectors are paying stupid money to own one, why not? I have no idea what it costs to build a machine (plus the licensing/royalties) but if he can make a profit on a $6,500 Hobbit, he sure as hell can make a profit on a $12,000 MM.

#124 7 years ago
Quoted from Underspin:

It's something worth considering. $12-15K might be crazy but if collectors are paying stupid money to own one, why not? I have no idea what it costs to build a machine (plus the licensing/royalties) but if he can make a profit on a $6,500 Hobbit, he sure as hell can make a profit on a $12,000 MM.

There's a few caveats here:

Some of the people blowing 15k+ on MM are doing so because it's an original. It's hard to say how much of that market would only be interested in an original Williams machine vs a reproduction. Over time reproductions have typically not held their value.

Also, it's very hard to say how many people in the collector community have $15k available for an MM, repro or not. Part of what is making the price of these so high is that there is only ever X number of machines available to buy at any one time. If the market all of the sudden absorbed 500 machines, I highly doubt that there are 500 people with powder dry waiting in line at that point, or that the price holds at 15k.

Another factor that has these machines selling at high prices are expectations that people can cash in and get their money back out of them fairly quickly if they want to. Given a deeper supply in the market, do people want to front that money knowing the competition to sell will be larger?

#125 7 years ago
Quoted from Richthofen:

There's a few caveats here:
Some of the people blowing 15k+ on MM are doing so because it's an original. It's hard to say how much of that market would only be interested in an original Williams machine vs a reproduction. Over time reproductions have typically not held their value.
Also, it's very hard to say how many people in the collector community have $15k available for an MM, repro or not. Part of what is making the price of these so high is that there is only ever X number of machines available to buy at any one time. If the market all of the sudden absorbed 500 machines, I highly doubt that there are 500 people with powder dry waiting in line at that point, or that the price holds at 15k.
Another factor that has these machines selling at high prices are expectations that people can cash in and get their money back out of them fairly quickly if they want to. Given a deeper supply in the market, do people want to front that money knowing the competition to sell will be larger?

Oh I know a flood of MM's would drop the price that's for sure.

Let's lower the price to $9 or even $8K. Still a profit to be made and an awful lot of collectors that would like to own the machine repro or not. It's a safe bet that JJ would do a great job on it too.

But that's all wishful thinking anyway. Ain't gonna happen

#126 7 years ago

Why do People care????? Why???? This topic is so old already!!!!!!!!
The person that bought it is an awesome guy who wanted it and can have it. Plain and simple!
No different than choosing to drive a Ford or a Mercedes. Everyone has wants and some can afford them. Can we move on already!
Congrats to the deal makers

#127 7 years ago
Quoted from coasterguy:

No different than choosing to drive a Ford or a Mercedes. Everyone has wants and some can afford them. Can we move on already!

After looking at the "rides" thread, a 22k pinball machine is just a drop in the bucket
for many pinsiders.

#128 7 years ago
Quoted from o-din:

After looking at the "rides" thread, a 22k pinball machine is just a drop in the bucket
for many pinsiders.

If there is one thing I've learned, it is often difficult to accurately judge a person's wealth based on the car they drive. I know plenty of people that lease fancy cars even though they can't afford it. It's the American way.

#129 7 years ago

Watch it gweem! I drive my ford with pride

#130 7 years ago
Quoted from gweempose:

I know plenty of people that lease fancy cars even though they can't afford it.

Some of the parts alone on that thread cost more than MM. Can you lease parts?

#131 7 years ago
Quoted from gweempose:

If there is one thing I've learned, it is often difficult to accurately judge a person's wealth based on the car they drive. I know plenty of people that lease fancy cars even though they can't afford it. It's the American way.

Very true but more old school than the younger generation. A former company I worked for the CEO was definitely old school. The man was a legit multimillionaire and drove a Delta 88 and parked in the "regular" employees lot. If he walked through the factory he knew everyone by name and actually said an honest "hello" as he passed by.

Today that company is public traded and managed and run by zero of the original family. Segregated parking for "management" and loaded with turbo Porsche,Sabb, Volvo, etc.

All the "new" management could give a rat's ass about anybody as well.
Just a number.

#132 7 years ago
Quoted from cal50:

Very true but more old school than the younger generation. A former company I worked for the CEO was definitely old school. The man was a legit multimillionaire and drove a Delta 88 and parked in the "regular" employees lot. If he walked through the factory he knew everyone by name and actually said an honest "hello" is yo passed by.
Today that company is public traded and managed and run by zero of the original family. Segregated parking for "management" and loaded with turbo Porsche,Sabb, Volvo, etc.
All the "new" management could give a rat's ass about anybody as well.
Just a number.

Not to get political, but I agree with this sentiment wholeheartedly. Seems like lots of companies these days squeeze every nickel out of their employees, and worship at the altar of the shareholder. If I ran a company, I would be ashamed if I couldn't pay my employees a strong wage.

#133 7 years ago
Quoted from Richthofen:

Not to get political, but I agree with this sentiment wholeheartedly. Seems like lots of companies these days squeeze every nickel out of their employees, and worship at the altar of the shareholder. If I ran a company, I would be ashamed if I couldn't pay my employees a strong wage.

Its not political, its the "me" generation and wanting everything for yourself now, screw everybody.

I worked 20 years at that company before leaving it and it was a sad transformation. The original people that founded the company designed, manufactured and patented engineered systems for manufacturing. As the original founders got up in age and none of their kids wanted anything to do with the business outside people were brought in. That was the beginning of the end. These new people that are very smart and talented never had any attachment for the companies or long term employees work. Basically a large % of manufacturing went to China and other places. All of the products that were made in house years back were still being sold with zero being made in house.
R&D went next followed by systematically purging a lot of long term employees. Manufacturing has been beaten to death in the USA and the people that know anything about it are getting older and retiring. Pretty sad to see it happen.

There are 133 posts in this topic. You are on page 3 of 3.

Hey there! Got a moment?

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run thanks to donations from our visitors? Please donate to Pinside, support the site and get anext to your username to show for it! Donate to Pinside