• Latest reply 3 years ago by Boof-Ed
  • No one calls this topic a favorite

You

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

1ADF67AD-6634-40BD-A7CA-03BA48CF61A5 (resized).jpeg
F5D089D2-2EFC-48D0-88BD-6B5340FB536B (resized).jpeg

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider Boof-Ed.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#1 3 years ago

Ok so I’m getting some strange behaviour on my Medieval.
on start up after not playing for a few hrs I’m getting the same switch errors coming up.
left out lane left return lane
right out lane right return lane
right troll left loop high
left top lane
right bank top.

It’s these same switches every time. I do the switch test and remove the errors and they don’t come back until the machine has been off for a substantial amount of time. It does throw up a row 1 ground short every now and then at start up but goes away. Errors always stay.

Ive checked all switches and seem to be fine. No loose wires. Replaced u20 u13 u14 as per a few forum suggestions.
Any other ideas?

I’ll just add that once I clear the errors the game plays perfectly. No switch problems at all until the game has been switched off for a while. Usually takes about 4-5 hrs of the game being before The errors will turn up again. I can switch it on after an hr or two and no errors. One thing it did today was the left popper fired a few times after start up.

#3 3 years ago

Thanks. I’ve been chasing the ground short for a while. It’s really intermittent so hard to find.

I’d checked all the switches but I’ll go through it again to make sure.
Oh and yes. Original.

#6 3 years ago
Quoted from memphispin:

Might want to look at the switch connectors on the bottom of the MPU for prev corrosion.

No corrosion.

#10 3 years ago

I’ve checked all wiring, diodes and switches three times just in case I’d missed something.
Frustrating thing is this morning for the first time it started with no errors. I’ve did nothing to it yesterday that could have changed that so it’s baffled me more.
Because it would only have the errors after a long period (6 or 7 hrs) of no use It has been like the car that won’t start cold. Fine once running and you could start it again when still warm but as soon as it’s cooled down the problem returns.
See what happens next start I guess.
I must say I haven’t seen the ground short for 3 or 4 days now.

#12 3 years ago
Quoted from LTG:

Just a thought.
I had an occasional ground short on an AFM years ago. Only pop up occasionally. Drove me nuts. One day I was working on the game. Playfield down, turned on. I leaned up on the left side and came down hard on the playfield. Immediate ground row short and went away. Crap.
I thought on it a bit. And started tapping on the playfield in the area. I found a spot that if I hit it, the ground row short would pop up. Replaced the micro mini switch closest to that area. End of problem.
Switch must have had in issue internally.
LTG : )

Thanks. I’ll try that next time it pops up. Maybe I’ll tap a few switches and see if I can get it to pop up.
Being the row 1, would it definitely be in that row? Maybe I’ll just change all those switches out.

#14 3 years ago
Quoted from FilthyRich:

If the switches are all in the same row, disconnect them one at a time to find the culprit.

That’s the thing the switch errors aren’t all in the same row. The ground short when it appears is alway row 1 but very intermittent. Then when it does pop up it’s for 5 seconds and disappears.

1 month later
#16 3 years ago

I haven’t had a chance to do much with it lately but I did catch this behaviour at start up.
I went straight to switch test and had 2 ground shorts. Within a minute they slowly disappear without me doing anything.

#18 3 years ago

So I pulled the opto board out and on close inspection I notice a tiny bit of the dreaded green fur on a leg of one IC.
Decided to pull all three and glad I did. Two had it under them.
Cleaned it all up and replaced ICs. Cross my fingers it seems to have stopped the ground shorts.

1ADF67AD-6634-40BD-A7CA-03BA48CF61A5 (resized).jpeg1ADF67AD-6634-40BD-A7CA-03BA48CF61A5 (resized).jpegF5D089D2-2EFC-48D0-88BD-6B5340FB536B (resized).jpegF5D089D2-2EFC-48D0-88BD-6B5340FB536B (resized).jpeg
Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
€ 99.00
Lighting - Under Cabinet
Watssapen shop

$ 100.00
Cabinet - Decals
Creative Mods

$ 9.95
$ 24.99
Cabinet - Decals
Bent Mods

$ 69.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
The MOD Couple

€ 99.00
Lighting - Under Cabinet
Watssapen shop

$ 89.99
Lighting - Led
Lighted Pinball Mods

Gameroom - Decorations
Pinball Photos LLC

$ 35.00
Cabinet - Other
Rocket City Pinball

Machine - For Sale
Bristow, VA
Eproms
Matt's Basement Arcade

$ 130.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Pinwize.com

$ 12.95
Playfield - Other
Hookedonpinball.com

$ 54.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 37.99
Lighting - Interactive
Lee's Parts

$ 45.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lermods

$ 119.99
Cabinet - (Alt) Translites
FlyLand Designs

$ 35.00
Cabinet - Other
Rocket City Pinball

$ 84.99
Cabinet - Armor And Blades
FlyLand Designs

Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
PPmods

$ 16.95
Playfield - Protection
ULEKstore

$ 89.99
Lighting - Led
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 79.99
Cabinet - Armor And Blades
PinGraffix Pinside Shop

$ 15.00
Cabinet - Decals
Bent Mods

$ 399.00
Cabinet - Decals
Mircoplayfields

Gameroom - Decorations
Rocket City Pinball

Eproms
Matt's Basement Arcade

$ 129.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lermods

Hey modders!
Your shop name here

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider Boof-Ed.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/medieval-error-problems-?tu=Boof-Ed and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.