(Topic ID: 245266)

Mecum Auto Auctions

By Chisox

4 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

9E63382C-EB46-4B2D-9E3B-C08F0D4FDB02 (resized).jpeg
    #1 4 years ago

Anybody else totally hooked on these or is it just me? I guarantee it’s not just me. They come to the Chicago area every year right around my birthday (just like Expo) and I resist every year because me + beer +auctions = empty wallet. Anybody been to one of these or something similar? There are few things more beautiful than the cars Detroit was pumping out in the 50s and 60s

#2 4 years ago

I've never been to one. I've watched on line a few times when friends are there bidding on stuff.

LTG : )

#3 4 years ago
    Quoted from LTG:

I've never been to one. I've watched on line a few times when friends are there bidding on stuff.
    LTG : )

That’s surprising as I’d have you on the short list of people I’d bet on having been there.

#4 4 years ago

Watch them on TeeVee sometimes but always feel the urge to go
    buy lottery tickets after. Already have too many classic cars as it
    i but fun to see that they sell for now.

For the vast majority of folks these are spectator events.
    Steve

#5 4 years ago

It’s fun to watch and have been there too. It’s crazy how so many cars you see lol great on screen but crap in person. Same for BJ: fun to watch but better to be there and part of it. Understand the wallet part.

#6 4 years ago

I can't watch them on TV, but in person. Super fun. Dangerous though. There are some decent deals and then once you start drinking while your there you end up with a vehicle real quick.

#7 4 years ago

I love the auctions because 10s of millions of cars were produced and many destroyed
    or used as intended to go to and from work. The cars were destroyed by use by design.
    Pinball is not much different, just in numbers. The auctions are a fun thing to watch, as
    is pinball and arcade, government surplus, and other auctions. What someone wants
    today is long lost and gone tomorrow. Ebb and Flow.

#8 4 years ago

Heck yeah! I watch both - Mecum and Barrett Jackson. Have been for years. I'm going to buy something one of these years for sure.

#9 4 years ago

I have it set up to tape and like watching it. I’ll FF a lot of it as I can only take so many Camaros and Mustangs and 80s corvettes. I also went to a Mecum a few years ago when they came around local. That was fun, I always enjoy seeing the cars up close. There’s lots of stuff to see at the show and you can also kick back and watch the auction. I go to different car shows whenever I can. I like the muscle era but I don’t have anything, I drive a boring Toyota. I also like to do some photography of the cars.

Mecum has a somewhat dicey reputation in some circles. If you watch it very carefully sometimes you can spot some of the stuff that goes on, like deals being made with the seller on the spot to change the commission charge in exchange for getting it sold at a lower price than wanted. I wondered about some of the bidding I saw and that’s when I learned what a chandelier bid is for the first time. It’s a legal practice but seems a bit sneaky.

#10 4 years ago

I actually worked one with my camaro club in Anaheim CA a few years ago. A lot of fun. Drove some real cool cars or at least sat in them on the block!!

#11 4 years ago

I like watching, or at least having it on in the background. It's like being at a car show while still in the comfort of your home, with Hoke and Kraman adding some interest by revealing history, low-production options, past experiences, etc.

#12 4 years ago
    Quoted from Chisox:

They come to the Chicago area every year.

A buddy and I used to go just to look but never to bid. Now I just watch the various auctions on the 80" flatscreen in my family room. I still like to look at the '60s and early '70s musclecars. They remind me of cars I used to own: '62 'vette, '69 SS396 Chevelle, '70-1/2 Camaro Z/28, '76 limited edition Trans Am, and '64 'vette coupe. But I like the modern musclecars I have now better, such as my '13 Mustang Boss 302 and '08 Shelby GT500 (see my Pinside avatar) and '13 Camaro ZL1.

#13 4 years ago

I think they are here in Schaumburg twice per year. I went to the one in the spring and plan on heading to the one this fall. Lets go Kev!

#14 4 years ago
    Quoted from littlecammi:

A buddy and I used to go just to look but never to bid. Now I just watch the various auctions on the 80" flatscreen in my family room. I still like to look at the '60s and early '70s musclecars. They remind me of cars I used to own: '62 'vette, '69 SS396 Chevelle, '70-1/2 Camaro Z/28, '76 limited edition Trans Am, and '64 'vette coupe. But I like the modern musclecars I have now better, such as my '13 Mustang Boss 302 and '08 Shelby GT500 (see my Pinside avatar) and '13 Camaro ZL1.

Wow you had some great cars. But let's face it, modern cars are just lightyears beyond the cars of that era. The modern muscle like you have are like unleashed bullets compared to that old muscle. After all a 2019 Toyota Camry sedan with a 6 cylinder runs the quarter mile the same as that 1970 Z/28

#15 4 years ago

My car was purchased from there.

9E63382C-EB46-4B2D-9E3B-C08F0D4FDB02 (resized).jpeg9E63382C-EB46-4B2D-9E3B-C08F0D4FDB02 (resized).jpeg
    #16 4 years ago

Mecum is good but if you have the chance to go to Barrett Jackson Scottsdale, do it, it will blow your mind. Ive gone 5 times and it just keeps getting bigger. Last year there were over 1500 cars...

#17 4 years ago
    Quoted from inhomearcades:

I can't watch them on TV, but in person. Super fun. Dangerous though. There are some decent deals and then once you start drinking while your there you end up with a vehicle real quick.

I'm in. I do have a specific vehicle I'm looking for but haven't seen pop up yet. You'll never guess.

#18 4 years ago

Is it like arcade / pinball auctions where you are always over-paying due to exorbitant fees, incurred taxes otherwise avoided in private sales, and cash-flush over excited bidders driving prices beyond actual market value?

I love watching them too, but my god the prices never seem aligned with actual market value on private sales.

#19 4 years ago

Hoping this coming recession will lower prices.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/mecum-auto-auctions?hl=t8tony8t and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.