(Topic ID: 184422)

Mechanical PONG coffee table

By northerndude

7 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

13185385d96412fcd5d719d784413829_original (resized).jpg
    bcae129b569c68f351e3768ba11b46b3_original (resized).jpg
    31759B33-DA22-4C43-ACA9-0ED0AC1FB0E2 (resized).png
    There are 54 posts in this topic. You are on page 1 of 2.
    #1 7 years ago

Wow, has anyone seen this?? My apologies if its been posted about before.

https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/1461917284/play-atari-pong-in-your-coffee-table?ref=category_newest

A coffee table made into a PONG game, can buy with coin-op, its licensed, pretty cool! Watch the video and read on....

#2 7 years ago

Yeah I have seen that...very cool! This was pre Kickstarter that I saw it though. Would be cool in a Barcade!

#3 7 years ago

I am very intrigued by this kickstarter and unit. Is there anyone out there that's thought seriously about buying one? I would definitely do the coin op and the Atari seats. But man, seems like too much as I could try and go find a Pin with that dough! lol

Could it ever have low enough units made where this is a lucky investment or opportunity?

1 week later
    #4 7 years ago

So is anyone in on this? I've been watching it for awhile, but now it looks like they're still over $40k short with only five days to go.

Very tempted to get in for one myself but a little concerned. Never been involved in a failed kickstarter before (also, pretty sure the wife would outright kill me).

#5 7 years ago

I so wanted to get in when that launched, but two things stopped me (aside from the 'failed kickstarter' possibility):

1) If the paddles didn't track exactly as expected 1 with the controls, angle/speed of the ball was off, or anything else went amiss that "broke the illusion" during play, I'd be frustrated and Craigslisting it immediately.

2) Even if it worked flawlessly... it's still Pong. Can't imagine when I'd actually choose to play it vs. anything else in the gameroom. Great conversation piece at parties, no doubt, but... it's still Pong.

#6 7 years ago

Heck I think this is way cool! I could really see these in a Barcade. To rich for my blood but if I was a Barcade owner....I would buy them.

#7 7 years ago

I got in today. Can't believe I did it, i'm excited but I also don't what the hell to think. I think it will be a super neat thing to toss in the game room near the pins etc. The cost isn't outrageous I don't think, there is a $990 deal on right now if you are referred. I put the coin op ad-on of course.

I have been messaging with the creator for a while now, they seem serious about the project, genuinely excited about the unit they are putting out, that helped put me over the top to decide.

#8 7 years ago

It does look cool and for $1200 not bad...coin op and seats plus shipping added.

#9 7 years ago

I remember seeing this awhile ago...didn't know it was a kick starter! So simple yet oh so fun!! It's cool how it's a coffee table too...gotta think on this one

#10 7 years ago
    Quoted from Blackjacker:

2) Even if it worked flawlessly... it's still Pong.

Yup. Design is cool, flip up ends to cover controls are slick...but Pong.

#11 7 years ago

there is probably no game other than Pong that could be incorporated into an actual mechanical "live" game though.

You can Bluetooth the phone to it for tunes, it's all LED' up, I'm impressed

#12 7 years ago

Ok, I'm sold. I want in. Actually managed to convince the wife by telling her that she could pick the color and that it could fit under the pool table if we didn't want it out

@northerndude, would you mind giving me a referral for the $990 deal? It would be greatly appreciated.

#13 7 years ago

HA, cool man. Yes for sure. I will message the creator Gerardo, if
    you want to send/pm me your real name, I will fire it off to him and you just pick that owl pledge. If you add your shipping cost in and mention to them you did, it will help out getting it funded. They will know.

#14 7 years ago
    Quoted from TheLaw:

Yup. Design is cool, flip up ends to cover controls are slick...but Pong.

More like "pong on roids"....instead of bringing live pins to video.....they brought video to live and in your face pong.

#15 7 years ago
    Quoted from Pinballerchef:

More like "pong on roids"....instead of bringing live pins to video.....they brought video to live and in your face pong.

Oh it is very impressive no doubt. Kudos to the designers.

#16 7 years ago

Pretty cool. However, be cautious. I've been burned by crowd funding before.
    Twice they took my $, burned it up on "R&D" "marketing" "testing" or whatever and said oops, sorry we ran out of money.
    There's no accountability. Timeframes, budgets, delivery of product. They don't have to do any of it.

If JPop and ShitB has taught us anything, is that just because you can build a prototype doesn't mean you know dick about running a company.

#17 7 years ago

And another thing. Once the nostalgia wears off and you realize it's just a simple PONG game, the replay value will probably nose dive.

Then again, if you're on this site you've probably got $ to burn so go for it. It's a unique coffee table for sure.

#18 7 years ago
    Quoted from PACMAN:

And another thing. Once the nostalgia wears off and you realize it's just a simple PONG game, the replay value will probably nose dive.
    Then again, if you're on this site you've probably got $ to burn so go for it. It's a unique coffee table for sure.

Pong tournaments!

I just see this as awesome in a Barcade setting...I need to open one!

#19 7 years ago
    Quoted from northerndude:

HA, cool man. Yes for sure. I will message the creator Gerardo, if
    you want to send/pm me your real name, I will fire it off to him and you just pick that owl pledge. If you add your shipping cost in and mention to them you did, it will help out getting it funded. They will know.

Alright, done and done. Here's hoping they get fully funded now. Thank you, sir. Owe you a drink for sure.

I've always thought this was pretty awesome since back when i first saw it on Hack-a-Day (or some place like that). Wish every cool thing i saw online actually became purchasable. Still waiting for this rancor head for my fireplace:

https://laughingsquid.com/taxidermied-heads-of-star-wars-creatures-mounted-on-fireplaces/

#20 7 years ago
    Quoted from PACMAN:

Pretty cool. However, be cautious. I've been burned by crowd funding before.
    Twice they took my $, burned it up on "R&D" "marketing" "testing" or whatever and said oops, sorry we ran out of money.
    There's no accountability. Timeframes, budgets, delivery of product. They don't have to do any of it.
    If JPop and ShitB has taught us anything, is that just because you can build a prototype doesn't mean you know dick about running a company.

I was burned once and since than I've never backed another kickstarter project again. It's definitely a gamble but I'd like to see it happen for them.

#21 7 years ago

Funded!

#22 7 years ago

I think this will be great! If anyone needs a referral let me know. I didn't even think to look on here for a referral to get the Night Owl deal. I just ended up getting the $1100 one.

#23 7 years ago

You can change your pledge. Change it and message them that you have a referral. I'm sure nman will do right by ya.

#24 7 years ago

You can change your pledge. Change it and message them that you have a referral. I'm sure nman will do right by ya.

Absolutely will. I'll PM my info.

#25 7 years ago

At the very least, this has to be the bitchin'est game room accessory ever for old folks from the Golden age like me!

3 weeks later
    #26 6 years ago

What model/color you guys take?

I went Classic, had to

#27 6 years ago

I went Classic, had to

I am not in but classic is the way to go!

#28 6 years ago

Cool idea and the design of the table looks great, but the actual gameplay looks like it would get boring pretty quick. I would consider one if I already had a coffee table to swap it with so it could sit the most of the time not being played without being a problem. The full size arcade version they originally started developing looks really cool and I hope it eventually gets made and ends up on location.

#29 6 years ago

I went Classic, had to

I need to decide today i guess. Leaning toward the plain black, but the wife wants white...

7 months later
    #30 6 years ago

What stage is this at for you backers?? It was supposed to start shipping in November....anybody got one yet?

#31 6 years ago
    Quoted from Pinballerchef:

What stage is this at for you backers?? It was supposed to start shipping in November....anybody got one yet?

*****GRABBED FROM THEIR KICKSTARTER PAGE******

Hi guys!

A lot has been going on in the past weeks!

We took four Pong units to IAAPA 2017 in Orlando. The tables worked 8 hours/day for 4 days and we received great feedback from end users and industry referents.

Our booth was crowded all day long during the 4 days of the event, and people just loved the game and concept we have developed; so everything looks very promising towards the future of the project.

We are not happy with the internal metal structure of the cabinet because it tends to bend a little if someone makes a heavy load over it, so we are coming back to a 100% wood cabinet again.

Will give a slight roundness to the cover lids edges as a safety measure.

When we launched our Kickstarter campaign, we dreamed about taking the Table Pong Project from our garage to the world market. At the time, we based our pricing on what we have prospected to be the manufacturing cost for mass production.

As we advance towards the tuning of the original prototype, so we could reach a higher-end product, we faced the fact that the production and logistic costs would be over of what we originally expected.

For this reason, we had to re think our pricing strategy and Table Pong suggested retail price is USD 2,799.00*.

*recommended retail price may vary per country, in relation with taxes and import duties.

We are still committed to deliver our product to you backers and this does not mean any change from the original conditions that have been proposed on the campaign.

Production start stills on January and first shipments on March.

Thank you and stay tuned!

Best,

Table Pong Project Team

#32 6 years ago

Wow that price point took a MAJOR leap!
    Thanks for doing the recon Frax.

#33 6 years ago

+1 on the MAJOR price leap

#34 6 years ago

I am assuming they had a huge response in Orlando and found that their MRSP was low for the industry. I am in contact still with the Kickstarter creator and they are happy with everything. They also have partnered with another amusement company to solidify their game

#35 6 years ago

Fun and nostalgic but not $3K of fun to me and I was one of the lucky kids that had the first Atari pong. Still, there may be plenty of folks with nostalgia and enough money to drop to make it work out. I wish them well; hope I get to see one someday but guessing the cool factor would wear off quickly if I owned one. My pong machine was quickly replaced by the Atari 2600 and the pong machine collected dust and got tossed out.

#36 6 years ago

That's why

Quoted from tbanthony: I wish them well; hope I get to see one someday but guessing the cool factor would wear off quickly if I owned one. .

That's why I got mine loaded with the coin mech and the "original" cabinet so if i'm not that interested in the end, I can sell.

You never know, the family might have a blast with it

#37 6 years ago

Doesn't seem like I can get one ordered on kickstarter. maybe I am doing something wrong. Can anyone here refer me for the special or because they are looking at changing their pricing model am I screwed?

#38 6 years ago

For the original $900 or so it looked really cool for the game room. For $3000 I think I would have to pass.

#39 6 years ago
    Quoted from fiberdude120:

For the original $900 or so it looked really cool for the game room. For $3000 I think I would have to pass.

Same, I was planning to get one by the end of 2018 after seeing it at FPF, but seeing the price update will put it out of mind going forward. It would have spent most of its time covered as just a table for the theater room (the occasional novelty was worth $1k to me--perhaps I can hope for the second hand market to be closer to that at some point).

#40 6 years ago

It's worth it to me and today I got on the order list and waiting to hear back.

I have other novelty games like, Airball by MCI that people will only play a few times at a party but they always love them and they play them whenever they return. And I never or rarely play them but I like to see others enjoy them. This game is right up my alley and I look forward to it.

Here's a link to Airball pictures if you're not familiar. Vid's also.

https://www.google.com/search?q=airball+arcade&client=safari&channel=mac_bm&source=lnms&tbm=isch&sa=X&ved=0ahUKEwjR8MayyILYAhUY8WMKHbYXAvwQ_AUICygC&biw=1920&bih=925#imgrc=CmSCRvmj40-TzM:

#41 6 years ago

That airball seems pretty cool. What do those generally sell for?

How did you get on the order list? I have to be missing something on the site. Also anyone have a reference code for the deal?

#42 6 years ago
    Quoted from inhomearcades:

Doesn't seem like I can get one ordered on kickstarter. maybe I am doing something wrong. Can anyone here refer me for the special or because they are looking at changing their pricing model am I screwed?

The Kickstarter was finished last march or so.

You could only go right to the Pong website and try a "pre-order" now maybe?

*EDit- My bad, they must have pulled the pre-order link since they changed the mrsp

#43 6 years ago

That airball seems pretty cool. What do those generally sell for?

I honestly don't know and I've struggled with putting a value on it. Try a Google search to see if you can even find one. Extremely rare.
    Mine is the only one I've ever seen or heard of in 12 years of collecting and same with long term collector friends.

How did you get on the order list?

I simply emailed them through the website and got a return message acknowledging my email and they will get back with me soon.
    I guess I'm not technically "on" the list but I consider myself to be after their reply.

#44 6 years ago

I had an MCI Airball. It's a really fun game. I sold mine to a fellow Pinsider a couple of years ago for around $650. I probably could have pushed for more, but he was really into the game, and I did okay with it. Knowing that a game is going to a good home means more and more as you get older...

#45 6 years ago
    Quoted from mdolshan:

I had an MCI Airball. It's a really fun game. I sold mine to a fellow Pinsider a couple of years ago for around $650. I probably could have pushed for more, but he was really into the game, and I did okay with it. Knowing that a game is going to a good home means more and more as you get older...

Hmm.... I still have the Williams Gold Rush of yours. A worthwhile trade for sure

#46 6 years ago

It was one of the great trades! Also, one of the great "how far have you traveled for a game?" stories. The Airball was a big hit with friends and family. But there was a general deaccession of games a few years ago, which coincided with another Pinsider getting in touch with me about the Airball. I think he still has it...Gundam_Pilot_

3 months later
    #47 6 years ago

I just saw a few videos of this and I might have to have to order one. They are supposed to ship next month.
    https://www.tablepongproject.com

31759B33-DA22-4C43-ACA9-0ED0AC1FB0E2 (resized).png31759B33-DA22-4C43-ACA9-0ED0AC1FB0E2 (resized).png

#48 6 years ago

Probably in May

#49 6 years ago

I desperately want one but am a bit concerned about service/support until I can see that a bunch of these are selling and the company will be around for awhile.

It also concerned me a bit that one of the machines at TPF went down and the techs could never get it back into working order.

#50 6 years ago

Needs leg room on the shorter sides. But man, looks so cool.

There are 54 posts in this topic. You are on page 1 of 2.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/mechanical-pong-coffee-table and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.