(Topic ID: 256352)

Mechanical Pinball Innovations and Ideas: Lets Hear Them

By SantaEatsCheese

4 years ago

Topic Stats

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

#1 4 years ago

I hear talk about innovative new pinball ideas and they are usually related to ruleset, automatic updates, linked play... in general ideas that work via computer. I'd like to hear you ideas for new mechs, physical interaction with the ball, etc.

The most recent real physical innovation I've seen in pinball is that truck target in Jurassic Park that you interact with in order to change direction in the game.

I'll throw my ideas out first:

1. What if you could have a bigger pinball playfield in the same place? Nobody says that manufacturers have to use a 1 and 1/16" ball. Couldn't the manufacturers fit twice as many devices and toys into the same playfield? I know that the mini pinball machine in Family Guy is a thing and it exists... but it doesn't feel like pinball at that small of a scale... maybe something in-between would work. Smaller devices, while more would be needed should be cheaper to produce in large enough volume. If the physics of the machine were off due to the size... couldn't you somewhat compensate by using different materials for the balls?

2. I've also thought that too much of the playfield is wasted by putting a huge apron on machines... If you lowered the coin door would you not have much more room to build those last few inches at the bottom of the playfield?

3. Why is the playfield so high up within a cabinet? Wouldn't you have a lot more room if you lowered the coin door and the playfield another 6 inches or so? You'd have room for some crazy multi tiered playfields.

Just a few crazy ideas. I was curious as to what other people like myself that wouldn't have to engineer any of this stuff think.

#2 4 years ago

Optos, mechanical switches, solenoids/actuators and servos and engineered linkages and brackets pretty much make up the mechanical side of most pinball machines it seems. Not sure having more room changes that tech approach. Are you asking for new mechanical approaches? Seems to be that from the thread title.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/mechanical-pinball-innovations-and-ideas-lets-hear-them and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.