14 days ago

Topic Stats

• 2 posts
  • 2 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 14 days ago by KozMckPinball
  • Topic is favorited by 1 Pinsider

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

#1 14 days ago

I hear talk about innovative new pinball ideas and they are usually related to ruleset, automatic updates, linked play... in general ideas that work via computer. I'd like to hear you ideas for new mechs, physical interaction with the ball, etc.

The most recent real physical innovation I've seen in pinball is that truck target in Jurassic Park that you interact with in order to change direction in the game.

I'll throw my ideas out first:

1. What if you could have a bigger pinball playfield in the same place? Nobody says that manufacturers have to use a 1 and 1/16" ball. Couldn't the manufacturers fit twice as many devices and toys into the same playfield? I know that the mini pinball machine in Family Guy is a thing and it exists... but it doesn't feel like pinball at that small of a scale... maybe something in-between would work. Smaller devices, while more would be needed should be cheaper to produce in large enough volume. If the physics of the machine were off due to the size... couldn't you somewhat compensate by using different materials for the balls?

2. I've also thought that too much of the playfield is wasted by putting a huge apron on machines... If you lowered the coin door would you not have much more room to build those last few inches at the bottom of the playfield?

3. Why is the playfield so high up within a cabinet? Wouldn't you have a lot more room if you lowered the coin door and the playfield another 6 inches or so? You'd have room for some crazy multi tiered playfields.

Just a few crazy ideas. I was curious as to what other people like myself that wouldn't have to engineer any of this stuff think.

#2 14 days ago

Optos, mechanical switches, solenoids/actuators and servos and engineered linkages and brackets pretty much make up the mechanical side of most pinball machines it seems. Not sure having more room changes that tech approach. Are you asking for new mechanical approaches? Seems to be that from the thread title.

Promoted items from the Pinside Marketplace
    $ 134.95
    Lighting - Other
    Hookedonpinball.com
    $ 90.00
    Lighting - Under Cabinet
    Rock Custom Pinball
    $ 19.00
    Electronics
    Yorktown Parts and Equip
    € 9.95
    Playfield - Other
    Multigame
    $ 14.95
    $ 5,599.00
    Pinball Machine
    Classic Game Rooms
    $ 59.95
    Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
    pinballmod
    $ 369.00
    Cabinet - Decals
    Mircoplayfields
    $ 99.99
    Lighting - Other
    Lighted Pinball Mods
    $ 89.00
    Cabinet Parts
    Pappy's Pinball Palace
    $ 24.00
    Playfield - Other
    Pin Monk
    $ 10.00
    Playfield - Decals
    Pinball Haus
    Eproms
    Matt's Basement Arcade
    $ 249.99
    Cabinet - Armor And Blades
    Id Rather Play Pinball
    $ 15.00
    Playfield - Protection
    Professor Pinball
    $ 239.99
    Lighting - Led
    PinballBulbs
    $ 89.95
    Cabinet - Shooter Rods
    Super Skill Shot Shop
    $ 99.99
    Lighting - Other
    Lighted Pinball Mods
    $ 89.99
    £ 29.00
    Lighting - Led
    PinballToys
    $ 29.99
    Cabinet - Sound/Speakers
    Lighted Pinball Mods
    $ 7,599.00
    Pinball Machine
    Operation Pinball
    $ 22.00
    Cabinet - Sound/Speakers
    ModFather Pinball Mods
    $ 159.00
    Cabinet - Other
    Pinball Pimp

Hey there! Got a moment?

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run thanks to donations from our visitors? Please donate to Pinside, support the site and get anext to your username to show for it! Donate to Pinside