Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 47 posts
  • 14 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 1 year ago by atum
  • Topic is favorited by 17 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

IMG_1256 (resized).JPG
    2023-02-21 (resized).png
    Screenshot_20230220_074044 (resized).png
    Screenshot_20230220_074014 (resized).png
    Screenshot_20230220_074131 (resized).png
    IMG_20230204_145552 (resized).jpg
    IMG_20201108_085320 (resized).jpg
    IMG_20201108_085410 (resized).jpg
    IMG_20201108_085432 (resized).jpg
    #1 3 years ago

Just thought a thread with some sharing their Mech ideas , good and bad might be cool.

From little things big things grow and all that.

It's the mad ideas that are the most fun about Pinball for me , actually making Machines
    is just a way to inspire more Mecs & Space.

In true Pinside fashion please ignore this thread & I will post updates on devices I tinker
    with from time to time not relating to any particular game.

Feel welcome to post anything you want on this thread

more...

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC8dZCaMiZ-qUdbhkFvdwiVg?view_as=subscriber

#2 3 years ago

So this is version 2

It has 6 light recievers , the idea being the pop would sound different depending on where on the skirt the Ball hits.
    V2 would all be fed to analogue inputs whereas the V1 would be analogue or digital in.

#3 3 years ago

Optical Pop 4 way switching V3

IMG_20201108_085320 (resized).jpgIMG_20201108_085320 (resized).jpgIMG_20201108_085410 (resized).jpgIMG_20201108_085410 (resized).jpgIMG_20201108_085432 (resized).jpgIMG_20201108_085432 (resized).jpg

#4 3 years ago

Captive Ball

#5 3 years ago

Bally auto drop targets - single

#6 3 years ago

Magnasave

#7 3 years ago

Spinning Bumper

#8 3 years ago

Compact fog machine using an E cigarette and fish tank pump

#9 3 years ago

Newton trough

#10 3 years ago

Drop target and Vuk

#11 3 years ago

Drop Pop

#12 3 years ago

#13 3 years ago

Spinning pop bumpers

#14 3 years ago

Bally auto drop targets - in line

#15 3 years ago

Magnetic playfield switch

#16 3 years ago

Dual trough system

#17 3 years ago

Magnetic self centric - leveling plate

#18 3 years ago

Spinning centre post

#19 3 years ago

#20 3 years ago

Active Post

#21 3 years ago

Cool!

Rising pop bumper at least on CV. And isn't Orbitor's pop spinning? Although it probably doesn;t actually pop just spin?

#22 3 years ago
    Quoted from TheLaw:

Cool!
    Rising pop bumper at least on CV. And isn't Orbitor's pop spinning? Although it probably doesn;t actually pop just spin?

Raising Pop was first used on Williams GUSHER 1958..and then used again in a few other williams games.
    : ) they did everything with Pops back then.

Orbitor is a motor with current detection, no skirt ring

#23 3 years ago

2 old things I miss are the Gott's Kicking Targets and active/scoring mini posts like in Bally Rolling Stones. Cool little ideas.

I'm both terrified & excited by the concept of trusting a magnetic kirk post

#24 3 years ago
    Quoted from TheLaw:

2 old things I miss are the Gott's Kicking Targets and active/scoring mini posts like in Bally Rolling Stones. Cool little ideas.
    I'm both terrified & excited by the concept of trusting a magnetic kirk post

Pinball scoring reliability plummets with the incresing value of a shot imo it doesn't seem to matter how it's activated

#25 3 years ago

I've looked at your youtube on and off and you have made some truly cool stuff. In particular I love your rotating pop bumpers, the dual ball trough, and your small smoke machine.

Speaking of old EM pops, I like your directional sensing bumper. I know someone made it on an old EM but I can't recall to save my life. I don't think it popped the ball, but it could tell which way the pop was hit in like 8 directions.

#26 3 years ago
    Quoted from TreyBo69:

I've looked at your youtube on and off and you have made some truly cool stuff. In particular I love your rotating pop bumpers, the dual ball trough, and your small smoke machine.
    Speaking of old EM pops, I like your directional sensing bumper. I know someone made it on an old EM but I can't recall to save my life. I don't think it popped the ball, but it could tell which way the pop was hit in like 8 directions.

re Pop - Thanks I'll try and track it down

#27 3 years ago
    Quoted from kaboom:

re Pop - Thanks I'll try and track it down

I found them now. Wayne Neyens design. They're on Thoro-Bred (6-way detection) and Sky-Line (12 way detection). Possibly some others

#28 3 years ago

Love it!!

#29 3 years ago

You're really on to something with some of your ideas, a pinball manufacturer should hire you!
    Keep up the good work, very interesting

#30 3 years ago

Relax, you're making the rest of the pinball industry look bad!
    Cool mechs really define what good pinball is... for me at least. Keep it up!

#31 3 years ago
    Quoted from TreyBo69:

I found them now. Wayne Neyens design. They're on Thoro-Bred (6-way detection) and Sky-Line (12 way detection). Possibly some others

Thanks Mate

#32 3 years ago

Love your mechs and hb games! Keep it up!

#33 3 years ago

I don’t know if this is supposed to be a brain storming thread but I’m still trying to make bash toys interesting. My HB will likely have one in the center. Love all your work!

#34 3 years ago
    Quoted from SLCpunk2113:

I don’t know if this is supposed to be a brain storming thread but I’m still trying to make bash toys interesting. My HB will likely have one in the center. Love all your work!

It is, please go nuts

#35 3 years ago

Awesome stuff, keep it going!

Some day I’ll have a white wood to mess around with shots and mechs...

#36 3 years ago

Love the dual- trough idea. Sega jet bumpers design are just far superior to williams or bally in terms of maintenence, adding a opto switch is just a cherry on the cake!!

#37 3 years ago

So what makes a good bash toy? Is sparky the best we’ve got? People hated little dead pool but are the too really that different? I think the leapers from Elvira are well liked but what kind of interaction is truly rewarding?

#38 3 years ago

The best bash toy is Champions Pub. It moves, it detects hits in multiple ways, and it has a lot of personality with the code.

Rudy also strong contender for best bash toy of all time. Honorable mention to MM castle

More recently, I guess Sparky is the best. It can detect a few different kind of hits, the sculpt is pretty well done relatively speaking, and it integrates well with the call outs and light show. The magnet is fun except for when it’s not.

I liked the ambition of the BKSOR bash toy but I really would have like it if they dressed up the standup target below his torso more or make it part of the sculpt. Most bash toys these days aren’t actually being hit, but some (like Sparky) are better about not breaking the illusion of how it works and is detecting switch hits.

Something like the AC/DC bell is simple but very effective. And I would argue the truck on JP is a very original bash toy design that’s well integrated with other shots and the software

#39 3 years ago
    Quoted from SLCpunk2113:

So what makes a good bash toy? Is sparky the best we’ve got? People hated little dead pool but are the too really that different? I think the leapers from Elvira are well liked but what kind of interaction is truly rewarding?

First thing for me is it needs to take the pace off the ball and then retaliate or grab the ball.
    Being animated like the Hulk is in this respect is top of the heap in my opinion.

1 week later
    #40 3 years ago

Belt Drive Sling Shot - Prototype

#41 3 years ago

That slingshot belt drive spinning the other way could make things, umm, interesting!

#42 3 years ago
    Quoted from Quench:

That slingshot belt drive spinning the other way could make things, umm, interesting!

Yeah I might just have to post a vid - its super nasty

4 months later
    #43 3 years ago

Here is something that was made for a player who only has the use of one arm atm,
    fits on any machine immediately and uses the lockdown bar as it's guide.

The young man this was made for ( and named after ) is paralysed down one side ( i wont go into anymore detail )
    He had never played pinball before, but within 10 games he was better at using this device than me.
    In 20 games he was matching scores and beating other players who were playing two handed.
    Who knows where this may lead for him, but the laughing and cursing as he played seemed all too
    familiar

1 year later
    #44 1 year ago

MagnaSave - installed finally

1, Fast 'Dont Panic' button push = 60ms stab available at anytime

2, Push and hold 'Dont Panic' button = 1250ms grab , then 60ms stab , needs to be achieved in play

IMG_20230204_145552 (resized).jpgIMG_20230204_145552 (resized).jpg
    2 weeks later
    #45 1 year ago

I tried my hand at making a custom mech, although I'm not sure if it will work in reality. It is still a prototype, so I know there are issues. The idea is a sort of a pop-up scoop that would lead to a subway of some type, sort of similar to the ball eater in theater of magic. Don't know if this is worthy of this thread, but I figured I'd post it.
    I'm hoping to print the mech out at some point at school.
    Screenshot_20230220_074131 (resized).pngScreenshot_20230220_074131 (resized).png
    Screenshot_20230220_074014 (resized).pngScreenshot_20230220_074014 (resized).png
    Screenshot_20230220_074044 (resized).pngScreenshot_20230220_074044 (resized).png

#46 1 year ago

As far as pinball/arcade goes, the last innovation was converting the Sun Valley to a
    True 2 Player Add-a-Ball.
    Although to my knowledge there isn't any known, there's evidence a handful may have
    been made.
    From experience with Chicago Coin from this era, I believe the only way to add a ball was
    when a certain amount of points were scored, which I did with this machine. But I also made
    it so not only 200 points are made when getting all 9 numbers on the same ball, but also a ball
    is awarded. I did that by fabricating an off-on-off wiper from a score reel unit.
    The high score took a little time, but having it give an added ball by getting all 9 numbers on
    the same ball took a little experimenting..
    btw: I had that glass made using the image of a Replay glass. Just had to add in the
    "SHOOT ADDED BALL NOW" to the glass..

2023-02-21 (resized).png2023-02-21 (resized).pngIMG_1256 (resized).JPGIMG_1256 (resized).JPG
    #47 1 year ago
    Quoted from snowy_owl:

I tried my hand at making a custom mech, although I'm not sure if it will work in reality. It is still a prototype, so I know there are issues. The idea is a sort of a pop-up scoop that would lead to a subway of some type, sort of similar to the ball eater in theater of magic. Don't know if this is worthy of this thread, but I figured I'd post it.
    I'm hoping to print the mech out at some point at school.
    [quoted image]
    [quoted image]
    [quoted image]

Check out the trap door that Lawlor used on both Fun House (inner loop) and Dialed In (left orbit). Similar to that design.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/mech-ideas-a-free-for-all?hl=swmurphy and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.