(Topic ID: 167291)

measuring switch gap

By SevenHorses

7 years ago

Topic Stats

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

#1 7 years ago

Probably a noob question :

Much of the EM pinball repair info I read emphasizes the important of adjusting switches to have correct gaps.
    What tool do you use to do this? Do you use an automotive gap measure or something else?

I've seen writings that say a business card is about the correct gap. Does that sound right?

Is a 1/16 - 1/8 gap correct for all switches?

I'm sure with experience I'll be able to eyeball this. But until then I think I want a more careful measurement.

#2 7 years ago

http://www.pinballlife.com/index.php?p=product&id=1518 Leaf adjuster. I use a thin flat nosed Klein pliers.

I don't believe there is a correct gap. Some need more, some less.

LTG : )

#3 7 years ago

LTG, thanks for the reply. How do you know what each switch needs? How would you evaluate what is gapped correctly and what is not?

#4 7 years ago

I usually put my multimeter on the solder tabs of the switch and then test the switch as it would normally be used.

#5 7 years ago

I just always make sure the 'moving' blade can visibly move a bit without the other blade moving, and that once you do move the moving blade the other blade moves too.

#6 7 years ago

And in most cases the open switch gap should be around 1/16", maybe a little closer. You don't want the open gap to be too close or you will get arcing, which will burn out the switch contacts quickly.

As a special case, the cup switches actuated by bumper skirts should be 1/32" or even a little closer.

- TimMe

#7 7 years ago

And, if you want to be a pro about it, you'll check to see that all the blades in a switch stack are lined up so that there is a maximum amount of face-to-face contact area between the contact points on each blade. If the blades aren't lined up, slightly loosen the screws holding down the switch stack, and move the blades into alignment. Then, re-tighten the screws.

Even if you don't need to align the switch blades on a switch stack, it's always good to make sure the switch stack screws are down good and tight before making any adjustments to the switch blades.

- TimMe

#8 7 years ago

Hi SevenHorses
    I believe in the "roughly 50% percent rule" - the moved blade in a switch shall have 50% (of its travel (way)) contact with the stationary blade. Want to read here: https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/1965-bowl-a-strike-crazy-at-startup#post-3231326 from "A simple relay has a Normally-Open-Switch" (?). The JPG shows the "precious Self-Cleaning", greetings Rolf

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/measuring-switch-gap and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.