(Topic ID: 63716)

Measuring proper playfield slope (level)

By bstyles

10 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

torpedo_away.jpg
    litt.jpg
    22444_prev.jpg
    #1 10 years ago

I seem to recall folks telling me a correct slope is 6.5-7.0 degrees, measured on the playfield.

Out of curiosity, is this the same for all pinball games, or are there different recommended playfield slopes for different manufacturers -- or could there be different PF slopes for each title?

Then the follow-up question is, are all playfield glass slopes the same offset from the playfield slope?

For example, I used my bubble level app on my Galaxy S3, and my Stern games, with leg levelers all the way recessed, I am looking right around a 7.0 degree playfield slope. If I put the glass back on and measure the slope from the glass, I'm looking around 15.5 degrees. If this is a consistent 8.5 degree delta, it makes it a lot easier to measure slopes with the glass on. Obviously, if there is a difference per game or per manufacturer, it would be nice to know to save time leveling games in the future.

-Brian

#2 10 years ago

i check the factory manual for pitch setting,
    i would Never use a i phone style App for bubble,
    i have proven this against a Good quality digital level, can be out 1 full degree,
    Would you use a phone App to build your house frame,
    Never take the reading from the Glass, on the PF Only from the lower flippers to as far up is a good starting point,
    then i get 4 little bubble Level Lines, put them in each corner of the PF & adjust my levelers, front start at nearly all the way in, rear 3/4 all the way out,
    this process can take awhile But worth the effort,

22444_prev.jpg22444_prev.jpg litt.jpglitt.jpg

#3 10 years ago

You can get one of these

torpedo_away.jpgtorpedo_away.jpg

#4 10 years ago

I use my iPhone. I use an app, but I understand iOS7 now includes an inclinometer with the compass.

#5 10 years ago

Whichever tool you choose to measure the desired angle always measure on the PLAYFIELD surface
    not the Glass.

This is true for leveling as well.

A level playfield might cause the cabinet to be un-level but its the playfield that counts.

Always level a Playfield with at least two measurments.

One at the rear and one between or as close to the flippers as possible.

#6 10 years ago

Thanks for the replies guys.

Despite mentioning the use of a level app on my smartphone, that wasn't the purpose of my post.

Allow me to refocus us on the important questions of my topic. It's really two-fold:

Is there a standard PF slope for each manufacturer or is is game-specific? If each game could have a different slope requirement, then why hasn't someone added this field to the database at ipdb.org/pinside.com/pinpedia.com for quick reference?

Now the second part is about where to take the measurement. By all means, I do understand that taking the measurements directly on the PF is the absolute best method. However, some casual players may not have the time or desire at a given time to go through all the work that Skywalker detailed out. I'm not trying to get into a who's right/wrong argument. If PF slopes were to become a part of an Internet database as I suggested above, then could there not also be a 'glass level' value published as well (albeit understood that this is a rough number)?

-Brian

#7 10 years ago

6.5 to 7 should be good on almost all games. Tweak to your liking.
    +1 on the craftsman..... great for the pinball tool box

#8 10 years ago
    Quoted from bstyles:

Is there a standard PF slope for each manufacturer or is is game-specific? If each game could have a different slope requirement, then why hasn't someone added this field to the database at ipdb.org/pinside.com/pinpedia.com for quick reference?

Most every game built in the last 20 years should be at 6.5 degree, including all your games. Most every game manual lists the recommended pitch. No need to list it on IPDB because they're all the same.

Quoted from bstyles:

Now the second part is about where to take the measurement. By all means, I do understand that taking the measurements directly on the PF is the absolute best method. However, some casual players may not have the time or desire at a given time to go through all the work that Skywalker detailed out.

The assumption is: If you're going to take 5 minutes to properly level a game, taking another 30 seconds to remove the playfield glass shouldn't be a problem. Also, how the playfield sits in the cabinet can vary depending on where the playfield mounts were installed. Neither pitch or level should be trusted to measuring on the glass. Lastly, you always want to measure pitch on the playfield between the flippers. On some games, pitch increases slightly as you go up the playfield. When measuring pitch or level using a digital level (I swear by the Craftsman shown above), take a reading, then slide the level back and forth a little and take another reading. Tenths of a degree are very small. A bit of dust or dirt on the playfield can change your readings significantly. If you get different readings, average them and adjust accordingly.

Start by adjusting whatever is most out of spec first, then fine tune. Getting within one or two tenths of what you're shooting for is fine. No player will ever notice a game that is one or two tenths of a degree off (no noticeable lean).

#9 10 years ago

It depends on the game. Some manufactures may recommend a slope.

Me personally, i generally crank games as steep as possible.

#10 10 years ago
    Quoted from barakandl:

It depends on the game. Some manufactures may recommend a slope.
    Me personally, i generally crank games as steep as possible.

+1

Use the incline meter as a guide but set the incline so gameplay is fun for you!

1 year later
    #11 8 years ago

old thread but seems appropriate

After really getting my ass kicked last night playing STTNG I finally got round to measuring the pitch ( after 3 months) turned out it was set at 8.5 degrees . Out of curiosity I adjusted it to the recommended 6.5

wow what a snore fest! it was like the game had turned into an old man

I guess I got used to it playing fast so promptly adjusted back to 8.5 degrees . I'll use it as motivation to improve my game and should help me cope with the arrival of Heighways Full Throttle which looks lightening fast!

4 years later
    #12 4 years ago

Can anyone recommend a good quality digital inclinometer small enough to use at the bottom and top of the playfield?

#13 4 years ago
    Quoted from GamerRick:

Can anyone recommend a good quality digital inclinometer small enough to use at the bottom and top of the playfield?

I bought this one and am happy with it: https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B078JNS7V6/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o03_s00

Nice and small, so fits under ramps and stuff at the top of the playfield.

#14 4 years ago

I use an app on my phone, but I measure and then turn the phone 180 degrees and measure again. I then take the average of the two readings to account for any asymmetry in the phone/case.

#15 4 years ago

I have a craftsman torpedo level.
    Works perfect

#16 4 years ago

Thanks for the quick responses in a six year old thread!

#17 4 years ago

Don't forget to level side to side too! You'd be amazed how far out they can be.

4 months later
    #19 4 years ago

I never trust a phone/app, mine was always off. I bought this one at amazon and like it for compactness and accuracy.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B001NPJGL0/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o02_s00

#20 4 years ago

Simply make sure to check and adjust the front to back (left side of the pin and right side of the pin) and side to side (front and back of the pin) LEVEL, using a level on the BOTTOM of the cabinet as your reference point; and the playfield will be set at the manufacturer's recommended pitch. Adjust to taste. I worked in the industry in the late 70's.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/measuring-proper-playfield-slope-level?hl=cjchand and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.