Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 56 posts
  • 24 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 9 years ago by OLDPINGUY
  • Topic is favorited by 5 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

image.jpg
    IMG_20150215_130416.jpg
    IMG_20150215_124420.jpg
    image-41.jpg
    image.jpg
    flippers before and after.jpg
    circuit board before and after.jpg
    coil before and after.jpg
    Target before and after.jpg
    ultradust logo.jpg
    image-601.jpg
    image-645.jpg
    image-77.jpg
    image-139.jpg
    image-62.jpg
    image-326.jpg

There are 56 posts in this topic. You are on page 2 of 2.
    #51 9 years ago
    Quoted from erichill:

All I clean are 70's/80's parts. Here's a Bally DT assembly I just finished. Nothing needed more than 180 seconds in the ultrasonic.

Ok, that picture looks so good I have to ask - did you break down the drop target assembly into its component parts before putting it into the cleaner or not?

#52 9 years ago
    Quoted from OLDPINGUY:

Less cleaner...The sample pack at 2 oz, is enough to refill 8-15 batches of new liquid in a Harbor Freight
    ultrasonic pictured.

Sample ordered, thank you!

What mixture ratio would that be, Ultra Dust to water? Use distilled water or regular water (I have ready access to distilled free water)?

#53 9 years ago

Here are some pics of before/after from my unit. It's the 2.5L from Harbor Freight (named 'Chicago Tool'). Using 10% Mean Green in very hot water for 280 seconds.

Two ball guides. The one on the right is done. The one on the left is not. Notice the tint of the metal and the ball marks about 1/3rd up -
    IMG_20150215_124420.jpgIMG_20150215_124420.jpg

Same two ball guides, taken from the same angle (almost..) Notice now that tint matches and the light ball marks are gone.
    IMG_20150215_130416.jpgIMG_20150215_130416.jpg

These parts are 21 years old, and have never been cleaned before, other than wiping down during a waxing/cleaning. Note that some items don't clean completely - I could show (if interested) a before and after showing the Gumball Geneva switch rotor. It's never been cleaned before, and after cleaning it was nice, but still permanently soiled. Rubbing wouldn't even clean what was left off of it. But unless you looked closely you wouldn't notice.

--Me.

#54 9 years ago
    Quoted from RoyF:

Ok, that picture looks so good I have to ask - did you break down the drop target assembly into its component parts before putting it into the cleaner or not?

Yes, assembly was completely broken down. I also hit a few pieces with Mothers mag polish before putting it back together. Targets themselves are PBR repro's.

image.jpgimage.jpg

#55 9 years ago
    Quoted from cody_chunn:

But that was destructive in 60 seconds, and it was supposed to be destructive.
    Are you guys cleaning old 80s parts? The stuff I put in was entirely unaffected after 5, 15 and 30 mins. No change in appearance whatsoever. So I said heck, if nothing happens in half an hour, let's try an hour. HUGE MISTAKE. Mean Green also HUGE MISTAKE.
    You guys must be cleaning stuff that's already clean. I don't get it Big Dan.

In other words, your part had been in for a total of 50 minutes before you put it in for another 60. That's 110 minutes total. I've found, if it ain't clean after 10 minutes, it ain't gonna get clean.

#56 9 years ago
    Quoted from RoyF:

Sample ordered, thank you!

What mixture ratio would that be, Ultra Dust to water? Use distilled water or regular water (I have ready access to distilled free water)?

My Pleasure......I hope this is of help.

As everyones Water Supply is different, distilled is preferred, but not not needed.

I have had a few pms on ratio.

Always start a new project with clean water
    Clean a dirty tank frequently, especially if you can siphon any material that settles to the bottom.
    Ratios? On pinball parts? I am at 1 oz to 4-5 gallons of water. Some people will go as strong as 1 ounce to 1 gallon.
    I'd start weak, and check the part in 60-90 seconds, 3 minutes tops for general dirt.
    Stubborn dirt can benefit from a small toothbrush, longing time, stronger solution...
    Not much of that is in pinball, but restoring rusty parts, removing rouge or polish, layers of grease...
    etc.

Nothing with art work!

There are 56 posts in this topic. You are on page 2 of 2.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/mean-green-in-ultrasonicreally/page/2 and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.