• Latest reply 11 years ago by jrivelli
  • No one calls this topic a favorite

You

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

Creech3.jpg
#1 11 years ago

Well this is what it's all about for me. On any of my previous machines, I'd always ask my son if he wanted to play. Occasionally, he would humor me by saying yes and then playing a game or part of a game. Since I've gotten POTC, it's constantly, "Dad, let's go play Pirates!". Makes me very, very happy.

#3 11 years ago

My son (also 4) likes Transformers-- same deal with me. Makes me proud!

#4 11 years ago

Great news to hear!!

#5 11 years ago

Awesome to hear.
More proof that theme does matter.
I assume he likes hitting and sinking the pirate ship.

#6 11 years ago

My 4 year old son loved it when I got my NIB TRON. I asked him over and over what was inside. He had no idea. I got him so excited that when I opened the top...he pulled up a stool while I wasn't looking and tried to sneak a peak. He already loved TRON. Has a bunch of TRON toys already. He played that game for an hour straight that first weekend. He's never played with something that long ever! Made me proud that he loved it as much as I did.

#7 11 years ago
Quoted from usandthem:

Since I've gotten POTC, it's constantly, "Dad, let's go play Pirates!".

I wonder if "Hook" would work.

#8 11 years ago
Quoted from Pinball-is-great:

Awesome to hear.
More proof that theme does matter.
I assume he likes hitting and sinking the pirate ship.

Thanks. Yes, he's really big on sinking the ship. "Bye bye ship" is what he likes to say. But he pretty much seems to like the whole thing too-- not just that.

#9 11 years ago

Cool.
My 3 year old used to love to play. Not anymore. Not sure what changed. Gonna have to fix that.

#10 11 years ago

Both my kids, 22 year old daughter and 14 year old son love to play. Now the 3 year old grandson is getting into it. Matter of fact, my son is coming with me to Allentown this year, his second time. Shame I can't say the same about my girlfriend. She's stuck on the arcade machines (Galaga and Centipede) and couldn't care less about pinball.

#11 11 years ago

My 5 and 8 year old boys mostly play TSPP, sometimes avengers.

#12 11 years ago

One of the coolest experiences I've ever had playing on location involved a Pirate's and a bunch of young kids. I was playing alone at a pizza/sandwich place when suddenly a group of four kids surrounds me and the game. The oldest is maybe 6 or 7 years old. The two youngest ones had to pull themselves up on the side rails to see what was going on under the glass (I didn't mind). As I'm playing, the older kid, using a know-it-all tone, starts telling the other kids all about the ship and how it works. Then he says something like "Watch, he'll hit the ship and sink it" and looks up at me.

Up to that point, I had been ignoring the ship and was going for Tortuga multiball. What would you have done? Of course I went for the ship. I didn't want to make the kid look bad in front of his posse. I bashed it a couple of times, then sunk it. The kid looked at his crew like "See, I told you how it would go down". They all looked at him like he was a god. I was just some guy playing the game with the help of his expert direction.

I see there's a Pirate's for sale in another thread. If you have kids, I highly recommend getting one.

#13 11 years ago

That's awesome. I'm hoping my daughter will learn to love pinball as well. She's only 20 months old, so I've got time. She can hit the start button and plunge the ball, but that's about it other than banging on the glass and jumping up and down on a chair while watching me play.

#14 11 years ago

Awesome, just wait till he beats your high scores that will be fun. My twelve year old brother despite not wanting to nudge the machine has become such a good player his WH20 score was tops for two months. Nice to have competition in the family. Glad you found a them that spoke to your son, good job pops!

#15 11 years ago

Well, you'll have POTC for a good while until you post the CL ad "My kids are no longer into this...."

Cherish it while it lasts!

#16 11 years ago

I had a POTC for a short while and my boys opted for Popeye and CFTBL. They didn't really take to Pirates, but so long as they like pinball, I AM HAPPY!!!

Creech3.jpgCreech3.jpg

#17 11 years ago
Quoted from jrivelli:

Well, you'll have POTC for a good while until you post the CL ad "My kids are no longer into this...."
Cherish it while it lasts!

Don't get me wrong. I'm really enjoying it too. But as I think anyone with one machine can attest to, it doesn't matter how great the game is. Eventually, you will tire of it and have to move on.

#18 11 years ago

Just finished my first batch of 5 games for $2 at the bar I'm playing at tonight on POTC.

Fun pin!

#19 11 years ago

My son loves our Creetch and BSD but is wanting something new....me too..he wants a TSPP next....me too

#20 11 years ago

Thanks for sharing your stories, guys. I'm glad that others have been able to have similar experiences with their own children. That's awesome!

#21 11 years ago

I bought our 1st pinball Funhouse in 93' for family Christmas present. My son was 8 then. He would be more interested in replacing burnt bulb, checking the wiring, reading schematics, more than playing... which we did a lot as well. He & I hauled FH down to his Elementry school for a science project, not just for his 5th grade class, but for the whole school.

He was so fascinated with the electronics, he graduated from engineering school at San Diego State. He's now 27 and has been employed with Broadcom for about 6 years.

My wife & I are very grateful for this hobby; well me mostly, as she never plays.

#22 11 years ago

POTC was my first purchase about 5 months ago and my two year old son still constantly says yo ho ho as he pulls on the door trying to get into the basement all day.

#23 11 years ago
Quoted from usandthem:

Don't get me wrong. I'm really enjoying it too. But as I think anyone with one machine can attest to, it doesn't matter how great the game is. Eventually, you will tire of it and have to move on.

Of course. I think you missed my point a bit. Mainly just commenting on the funny CL "reasons for being sold" I see.

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
Wanted
Machine - Wanted
Yucaipa, CA
$ 30.00
Cabinet - Other
Rocket City Pinball

€ 18.00
Playfield - Decals
Pin-Decals

€ 20.00
Cabinet - Decals
Pin-Decals

6,200 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Mount Pleasant, WI
$ 130.00
Gameroom - Decorations
Dijohn

$ 110.00
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Super Skill Shot Shop

$ 18.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ULEKstore

$ 54.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lermods

$ 28.75
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
The MOD Couple

$ 218.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
PinBoss Mods

Cabinet - Other
NO GOUGE PINBALL™

Cabinet - Other
Lighted Pinball Mods

Wanted
Machine - Wanted
Grand Rapids, MI
Machine - For Sale
Pittsburgh, PA
$ 79.99
Cabinet - Armor And Blades
PinGraffix Pinside Shop

Cabinet - Other
Rocket City Pinball

$ 49.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lermods

Cabinet - Other
Filament Printing

Cabinet - Sound/Speakers
arcade-cabinets.com

$ 99.99
Lighting - Other
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 29.25
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
The MOD Couple

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/me-son-want-to-play-pinball-4-year-old-son-no-thanks-daduntil-potc and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.