(Topic ID: 223528)

M.E. PHD Dissertation Topic feasability?

By Jptrains

5 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 20 posts
  • 11 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 5 years ago by Jptrains
  • No one calls this topic a favorite

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

#1 5 years ago

Has anyone thought of doing a Mechanical Engineering PhD dissertation on pinball machine operation or design?

Any suggestions or tips from engineering professors or deans would be greatly appreciated.

If it is a good topic I’m planning on doing the project on my own dime and timeline, since I have a full time job that pays the bills.

Thank you in advance.
    John

#2 5 years ago
    Quoted from Jptrains:

Has anyone thought of doing a Mechanical Engineering PhD dissertation on pinball machine operation or design?
    Any suggestions or tips from engineering professors or deans would be greatly appreciated.
    If it is a good topic I’m planning on doing the project on my own dime and timeline, since I have a full time job that pays the bills.
    Thank you in advance.
    John

What would the Thesis be? Obviously, the goal of any thesis, especially in Engineering, should be to advance scientific theory in some way. I just can't see what you would do that would be phd worthy unless you develop a new coil or something.

Now a psychology dissertation on why pinheads don't get laid as much as regular folk....

#3 5 years ago

That’s where I’m looking for suggestions, as to something that could advance science in some way.

Either pinball, jukebox or model trains ( ride on scale ) to do something hobby related.

#4 5 years ago

How about simplification of some typically complex and costly parts like drop targets banks?

#6 5 years ago

For M.E. maybe consider something like vibration modeling and reduction in a pinball machine or some kind of novel approach to fault reduction during manufacturing.

#7 5 years ago

Those are interesting suggestions. For vibration modeling, is there a problem with the faster machines that causes parts to Misoperate?

Or would it be a better concept to have a worn ball / time to wax playfield indicator / mechanical component problem eminent indicator? This would use vibration waveform modeling to recognize a telltale noise?

#8 5 years ago

I thought of a perfect topic for this in the shower this morning:

You could investigate the problem of how to produce "floating" components which can be positioned on top of the LCD screen for the Multimorphic P3 pinball platform.

In case you don't know the P3 is a multi-game physical pinball platform. The top third of the playfield is can be swapped out to allow for many games in the same cabinet. The playfield surface of the lower two thirds is an LCD screen which provides dynamic and interactive artwork. Multimorphic has already developed floating slingshots and flippers which are positioned above the lower third of the playfield but there are also plans to produce other floating components for the middle third of the playfield such as pop-bumpers and saucers, etc., which will allow for more varied playfield layouts. You can probably get a better idea of what I'm talking about from this video:

In the video, you can see pop-bumpers in the middle third of the playfield but this is a concept illustration only, they haven't been developed yet. Also check out the Multimorphic website: https://www.multimorphic.com/

The creator of the Multimorphic P3, Gerry Stellenberg, is an engineer and a member on here and I'm sure he and the other members of the team would give you a lot of assistance if you decided to pursue this topic.

#9 5 years ago

That would be interesting. Figuring out the mechanics and physics to make it work would be challenging.

#10 5 years ago

just spitballing -

reducing bill of materials/labor costs for under play field. Things like wireless power/control for coils/leds/switches etc.

#11 5 years ago

Virtual pinball still suffers from poor physics. Work on what additional improvements can be made to produce lifelike real ball movement

#12 5 years ago

How about the adoption of agile development methods in the mechanical and systems engineering space. There appears to be very little academic research in applying software design patterns to hardware and mechanical domains.

#13 5 years ago

the application of a transparent LCD screen to simulate physics in a way impossible or impractical in the real world. e.g. shoot the ball into an area which locks it, but a virtual ball appears seamlessly on the screen area - where you can see the actual physical playfield underneath still - major crazy physics apply, (say, flippers that rotate around a virtual cam to hit a virtual ball, or a ball that only moves straight up and down and a second ball that only moves horizontally, and you use the flipper buttons to align them for some mode award). then when you "drain", the ball is released from the lock and real pinball continues

#14 5 years ago

A mechanical version of agile development sounds interesting. From the wiki article on agile software, it looks like a rapid prototype, molti person easily changeable design.

It almost sounds like a pinball erector set with several pegboards and bendy ramps.

#15 5 years ago

Getting the physics coding done on virtualpin sounds interesting. And has a decent amount of coding and high level math for English, backspin, elasticity, etc.

For the multi dimensioned pin with both real and video, it is s great idea, but I am nowhere near that good of a coder to attempt it.

#16 5 years ago

Reducing bill of materials and labor, using a CAN bus sounds like a possibility. Needing only power and data to run everything.

#17 5 years ago

I was going to suggest a wireless switch system but I guess that’s more EE than ME, good luck with your thesis

#18 5 years ago

Wireless power gets tricky, wireless com is definetly a good idea, but as you mentioned mainly electrical.

#19 5 years ago
    Quoted from Jptrains:

A mechanical version of agile development sounds interesting. From the wiki article on agile software, it looks like a rapid prototype, molti person easily changeable design.

Agile is a big space with a lot of big ideas. Check out a Joe Justice video on Youtube. He is applying agile to the hardware space.

#20 5 years ago

I was checking the agile part out. The concept sounds interesting. I don’t have a way to get big crews on something easily though.

From what I am hearing in the explanations is that everything has to match up at the interfaces, and be fairly independent.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/me-phd-dissertation-topic-feasability and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.