IMG_9950 (resized).jpeg
IMG_9827 (resized).jpeg
IMG_20200614_193913 (resized).jpg
5363DEEB-4CCC-40DC-8F59-BD171F5F0D94 (resized).jpeg
IMG_1620 (resized).JPG
IMG_1619 (resized).JPG
890391F8-EF99-4F26-A0A4-A2DDAF788A2B (resized).jpeg
Button.switches (resized).jpg
There are 209 posts in this topic. You are on page 2 of 5.
#51 4 years ago

I have a project Jungle Lord in Illinois Listed in the Marketplace if anyone is interested.

IMG_0927 (resized).JPGIMG_0927 (resized).JPGIMG_0917 (resized).JPGIMG_0917 (resized).JPGIMG_0923 (resized).JPGIMG_0923 (resized).JPG
Added over 4 years ago:

sold....

1 month later
#52 4 years ago

Can someone post a photo or photos of the adjustments pages? Ipdb is in complete as far as I can tell.

#53 4 years ago
Quoted from topkat:

Can someone post a photo or photos of the adjustments pages? Ipdb is in complete as far as I can tell.

No worries and disregard I found it as separate file

6 months later
#54 3 years ago

Just bought a Jungle Lord with red cabinet. I'm just getting all the board problems sorted out and soon will be shopping it out and installing LED's etc. I'd like to see this thread get revived to get some community help for this overlooked machine. I notice a lack of parts such as plastics available. I know the playfield and plastics in this game were never the most colorful to begin with, but after 40 of fade and dirt the game looks dreadful.

I plan on scanning all of my plastics and touching up the artwork to make the colors more vivid and add a splash here and there. Also, the two plastics on the upper playfield on the right above the drop targets and around the saucer look unfinished like prototypes at best? I'll find a way to add jungle colors and keep the text visible on these plastics. I've done the slingshots so far and think they look better than the originals. I'm no artist to say the least, so if someone wants to take a stab PM me your email.

The playfield is another story. Ugh. If someone has a full playfield scan of this game, I would sure love to have it. Or even if someone has a used playfield set they want to sell me. I'd love to make an overlay for this game. I'm not looking to make or sell parts, just to be able to restore my own game and help others to do the same. I'd much rather be able to buy these products.

I did find some nice apron cards in another thread. Would be nice if we could have some with the new rules from the home ROMs:
https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/custom-apron-cards-printable-versions-only/page/6#post-5181126

2 weeks later
#55 3 years ago

I might be talking to myself, but I'm going to bump this thread with some good new information. The ribbon cables to my displays were all old and nasty looking and the displays were a not as bright and stable as I wanted even after re-seating the cables. I decided to look for replacement ribbon cables for System 7 and found an exact match on Amazon really cheap. These are 20-pin ribbon cables 30cm long (12 inches) just like the original. They came in six pack for less than $12, so I even have a spare now.

Before installing, I cleaned the board connectors with a little Deoxit D5 on a brush. The cables fit perfect and now the displays are bright and evenly lit from edge to edge.

https://smile.amazon.com/gp/product/B07FZWBP78/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o09_s00
cables (resized).jpgcables (resized).jpg

#56 3 years ago

I have some digits on my credit dispay that fades in and out. I'll give those cables a try and see if it helps.

1 week later
#57 3 years ago

Work in progress on the new plastic artwork for those two hideous plastics. I pasted in art from the backglass to match the rest of the game.

20200721_084607 (resized).jpg20200721_084607 (resized).jpg
2 months later
#58 3 years ago
Quoted from John_I:

Work in progress on the new plastic artwork for those two hideous plastics. I pasted in art from the backglass to match the rest of the game.
[quoted image]

That looks amazing! I would totally buy a set!

#59 3 years ago

I just picked up Jungle Lord head for a different project...it still has the harness in it...
Does anyone need a head harness?
I also have the light panel available (displays removed)....
(sorry, the plan is to use the hinge and the rest of the head on a Blackout project)

3 weeks later
#60 3 years ago

My JL has been sitting for almost 7 years waiting to be brought to life. I purchased Jim’s system 3-7 mpu and driver board replacement boards a few months back (pinballpcb.com). I have everything ready to go. My plastics all suck, my playfield had been touched up by what looks like a kindergarten class so I’m on the lookout for a playfield scan or overlays if they ever become available. I moved it from storage to the workshop electronics room So it’s up on the project list after I finish a clients Vector machine.
Great job on the plastics John_I

04123CC4-C4AE-422F-9C50-E0BCCEA11426 (resized).jpeg04123CC4-C4AE-422F-9C50-E0BCCEA11426 (resized).jpeg
2 weeks later
#61 3 years ago

Hi JL aficionados. I just noticed that the home ROM that I made a few years ago for Jungle Lord has become a Featured Snippet on google search. Just type "jungle lord new tricks" in the search bar and you'll see what I mean. If you are not familiar with the Home ROM you can just follow the link that you get. I guess that this means that there are some users of the ROM, which is great. I have recently started looking at the JL code again and added a prototype ball saver and put the LORD lamps during multiball on memory (so that you can continue your progress for the special during multiple multiballs) on my own machine. If there is interest I will consider publishing an updated patch sometime.

1 month later
#62 3 years ago

Looking for replacement magna saves for my machine. Any clue where to source them?

#63 3 years ago
Quoted from rx2006je:

Looking for replacement magna saves for my machine. Any clue where to source them?

Might be blasphemy but I'd check on the Black Knight page to see if they know or it there is a Black Knight that has recently been parted out.

#64 3 years ago
Quoted from ss-pinball:

Might be blasphemy but I'd check on the Black Knight page to see if they know or it there is a Black Knight that has recently been parted out.

are they the same magnets or do they work differently since the Jungle Lord pulses?

#65 3 years ago

I think the magnets are the same across the fantastic four and other Williams of the time. JL don't pulse, they are variable timing, based on holding the button. BK is timed by the MPU and is adjustable, it is the only one of the four that act this way.

Are you sure you need the magnets? There is a relay involved too, have you test their outputs?

1 week later
#66 3 years ago
Quoted from Black_Knight:

I think the magnets are the same across the fantastic four and other Williams of the time. JL don't pulse, they are variable timing, based on holding the button. BK is timed by the MPU and is adjustable, it is the only one of the four that act this way.
Are you sure you need the magnets? There is a relay involved too, have you test their outputs?

I do, one was missing on the game. Also I can't test yet as the game wont boot yet. Here is the issues that I am having.

I have a Jungle Lord machine that was given to me. When I got the machine it was missing the MPU and the Driver Board. I first ordered a new MPU with roms and driver board from pinballpcb.com. We got those installed and noticed that the LED on the MPU was staying locked on "0" and the blanking light would not come on. I looked in the manual for the MPU and it states that the blanking light must be on for the MPU to function correctly. It states that the likely cause is the connection to the driver board or the IC23 chip. The power supply was putting out some funky readings and was rigged up in the first place with some burnt connectors. So I ordered an new power supply, and sound board as it was working intermittently and replaced them. Now it has good clean power, all the GI lights are coming on and the sound works when tested with the diagnostic button. Tried turning on the machine with the new power supply and the MPU still stayed locked up at "0". I spoke with pinballpcb and they suggested that I try "unlocking" the board by turning the machine on and off quickly. I did so and nothing changed. They then sent me out replacement chips of IC1, IC13, and IC19b. I replaced the IC1 as instructed first and turned on the machine. When I did 3 of the 5 drop targets popped up on the rear bank and the F2 fuse blew. The blanking light never came on the MPU stayed on "0". I replaced the fuse and turned back on the machine. Nothing happened, no fuse blown, but the volts came up correctly on the voltmeter for the power supply, above 28v. I proceeded to change the other 2 chips that they sent me and they didn't change anything. The MPU still stays locked up with the LED displaying "0". The scoring displays never come on, I assume because the MPU never boots.

I have included pictures to show what is going on.
Any help or suggestions would be appreciated.

IMG_4324 (resized).jpgIMG_4324 (resized).jpgIMG_4325 (resized).jpgIMG_4325 (resized).jpgIMG_4326 (resized).jpgIMG_4326 (resized).jpgIMG_4327 (resized).jpgIMG_4327 (resized).jpgIMG_4328 (resized).jpgIMG_4328 (resized).jpgIMG_4329 (resized).jpgIMG_4329 (resized).jpg
#67 3 years ago

RX, man you spent a lot of money on a 'free' pinball machine. Happens all the time . That's a pretty good looking playfield.

You may want to start a separate thread asking for System 7 and/or pinballpcb help, you will get a larger audience. One expert on sys 7 is @schwaggs. He's rebuilt several BKs along the way.

I don't know much about those boards, but whenever you get new boards for an unknown machine you run the risk of shorting something out due to problems on the PF. The boards were taken out for a reason, and they may not have taken the time to figure out the root cause of the issue.

F2 blowing on startup is likely a shorted solenoid somewhere. You'll need to hunt that down. Check all the coils and all the tabs to make sure there isn't something dangling on one and shorting the system. Its a good idea to visually inspect the entire pf underneath to make sure nothing else is wrong. I've had loose GI wires and ground braids cause havoc with coils and switches.

I fear whatever popped that fuse popped your IC1 again. You'll probably need a new one. When you get it, disconnect all the PF connectors and display from the MPU & driver boards. A working board set will boot and clear the codes without the PF.

Inspect the Display board and connections then connect it, make sure it boots and you have displays. You should be able to connect the coin door connector without much risk if you want to do resets with the buttons.

Then pray and hook up your playfield, do it in steps so you can identify issues if they are still there. Do your lights, then your switches, then your solenoids etc.

#68 3 years ago

Thanks for the advise Black_Knight. The pin is a project for me and my son. I will repost in general forum and will try and contact schwaggs.

2 months later
#69 3 years ago

Does someone have the Jungle Lord plastic circled in red? PM me if so. I could use it.

Jungle lord (resized).pngJungle lord (resized).png
1 month later
#70 2 years ago

Very excited to have joined this club!! Picked the game up a few weeks ago and have been having a blast with it. Can't wait to install @idealjoker's custom ROMs!

A few questions:

My lower GI is out and there's a loose wire in the backbox. I'm assuming that this hooks in to the Rottendog power board, but the extra pins are throwing me off. Can anyone confirm?? Thanks in advance!

9FC6F934-5B08-48F5-B73D-BF1C3A00FEB2 (resized).jpeg9FC6F934-5B08-48F5-B73D-BF1C3A00FEB2 (resized).jpeg
578E616C-9822-4313-AEB4-0371ED8B433D (resized).jpeg578E616C-9822-4313-AEB4-0371ED8B433D (resized).jpeg

Still working on some sticky switches, clunky feeds, and a couple loose posts, but it's a great player already!

1 month later
#71 2 years ago

Hi all, there's a real possibility I'll be joining the jungle lord club soon, but trying to see if it will fit in my car for tansport. Would anyone on this thread know the dimensions of the game with the head down/off?

Thanks!

3 weeks later
#72 2 years ago

Happy to join the club with a few pictures of my Jungle Lord

IMG_20210125_223538 (resized).jpgIMG_20210125_223538 (resized).jpgIMG_20200614_181222 (resized).jpgIMG_20200614_181222 (resized).jpgIMG_20190920_194203 (resized).jpgIMG_20190920_194203 (resized).jpgIMG_20190823_193502_b (resized).jpgIMG_20190823_193502_b (resized).jpgIMG_20200614_182132 (resized).jpgIMG_20200614_182132 (resized).jpgIMG_20200208_181554 (resized).jpgIMG_20200208_181554 (resized).jpgIMG_20200102_154327 (resized).jpgIMG_20200102_154327 (resized).jpg
1 month later
#73 2 years ago
Quoted from rx2006je:

Sorry I never saw this but I have them.

1 week later
#74 2 years ago

@Thunfisch, how to do you like the playfield protector? I have one I haven't installed yet.

#75 2 years ago

Just joined the club. anyone happen to have a backglass laying around? mine is so cooked it all started falling off when I pulled it out. Got some battery damage to fix but looking forward to getting this up and running correctly.

#76 2 years ago
Quoted from bridgeman:

how do do you like the playfield protector?

I have several pins with newly clearcoated playfields and some with playfield protectors. I don't really feel a difference. New clearcoat may look a little more nice and shiny, but concerning the play, e.g. how the ball rolls, I do not feel a difference.

I know many people here in Germany don't like protectors, but I like it.

Maybe one day I will learn how to clearcoat, but until then I am happy with playfield protectors.

There is one exception to the rule. I see that you also own Ballys Strikes and Spares. On this machine, a playfield protector will not work well. It's because of the many rollover stars. The protector will have round holes there since you never know the orientation of the stars. This will cause a slow ball to stop at the edge.

#77 2 years ago
Quoted from Thunfisch:

I have several pins with newly clearcoated playfields and some with playfield protectors. I don't really feel a difference. New clearcoat may look a little more nice and shiny, but concerning the play, e.g. how the ball rolls, I do not feel a difference.

I know many people here in Germany don't like protectors, but I like it.

Maybe one day I will learn how to clearcoat, but until then I am happy with playfield protectors.

There is one exception to the rule. I see that you also own Ballys Strikes and Spares. On this machine, a playfield protector will not work well. It's because of the many rollover stars. The protector will have round holes there since you never know the orientation of the stars. This will cause a slow ball to stop at the edge.

Thanks for the input. I have a Stern Big Game with a protector and its just fine. I had one on my Harlem Globetrotters and and it really bothered the game play. I will install one on my Jungle Lord. Thanks again!

1 week later
#78 2 years ago

Hi I have just picked up a JL of my own as my first pinball restoration. It is in pretty bad shape. All the boards are missing as is the backglass. One of the drop targets has been raided for parts. The playfield looks ok but has loss of paint and some craters. Most plastics are shipped or broken and or warped. I love it so much.

242041633_1036021910496110_3671080927942627333_n (resized).jpg242041633_1036021910496110_3671080927942627333_n (resized).jpgIMG_7590 (resized).jpgIMG_7590 (resized).jpgIMG_7602 (resized).jpgIMG_7602 (resized).jpgIMG_7611 (resized).jpgIMG_7611 (resized).jpg
#79 2 years ago
Quoted from John_I:

[quoted image]

John_I Did these ever get finished? or made? I would buy a set. If you are not doing runs, would you share your scans and files?

Cheers

#80 2 years ago
Quoted from cyberfez:

All the boards are missing

Good news for you: There is a replacement board available (in France) that replaces all of the boards with a single one (except one, if I remember right, it ist the rectifier/fuse board that is still needed)
I can look it up for you, if you are interested.

#81 2 years ago

Yay! Another JL that is being rescued. Fun game, IMO. More good news: There are currently reproduction translites available on ebay.

#82 2 years ago

Link to the all-in-one replacement board ("power supply board" is still needed)
Price in Europe is around 400 Euro
https://www.pinball-dreams.com/images/NW7-Documentation-EN.pdf
BTW: I have one and it works flawless in my Jungle Lord.

#83 2 years ago

Way ahead of you. I bought one of those four days ago and it is on its way to Australia. I still ne a power supply board. My mate lent me one for now but I want a new one so will buy the one from PibsllPCB unless anyone has a better suggestion.

Cheers Thunfisch

Cyberfez

#84 2 years ago
Quoted from idealjoker:

Yay! Another JL that is being rescued. Fun game, IMO. More good news: There are currently reproduction translites available on ebay.

I hve looked at that one on ebay but the seller has some bad feedback and so erring on the side of caution.

Ta

#85 2 years ago
Quoted from cyberfez:

Way ahead of you.

Ok. But at least there is one usefull information for you in my post: I have tried this board in my Jungle Lord and it works fine.

#86 2 years ago
Quoted from Thunfisch:

Ok. But at least there is one usefull information for you in my post: I have tried this board in my Jungle Lord and it works fine.

Sure is. Thanks for the info.

1 week later
#87 2 years ago

Can someone please post a picture of the wiring to the two bottom flippers? Also I have an odd issue…. This is my second JL and the left 3 magnasave drops work strangely. They all register BUT you have to hit the farthest one away for them to count in the game. Is this how it’s supposed to be? If you drop the first two nothing. Then when the third is hit it give credit for all three that are dropped.

#88 2 years ago
Quoted from C_Presley:

Is this how it’s supposed to be

No. Every single tiger should credit you one magna save light, even if you do not hit all three of them bevor the time is over.

#89 2 years ago
Quoted from Thunfisch:

No. Every single tiger should credit you one magna save light, even if you do not hit all three of them bevor the time is over.

Thats how my old one was, I have no idea what could be the problem then, I feel like it has to be software related as the switches appear to be working without issue.

#90 2 years ago
Quoted from C_Presley:

has to be software related as the switches appear to be working without issue.

Unless you run some strange version of the software, it's difficult to see how this is possible because all three switches use the same switch handler, which is very simple and does not distinguish between the switches:

sw_droptarget_left_center:
sw_droptarget_left_lower:
sw_droptarget_left_upper:
branchIf F_gamePlay_disabled dt_exit ; drop target during game over
fillBitgroups LG_magSave_left ; increase left magnasave
score_digitSound 1x1000
#91 2 years ago

Has anyone upgraded their lamps to colour LEDs I was thinking about it to brighten up faded inserts etc. Anyone figured out the color placement of them all so I know how many of each color to buy?

#92 2 years ago
Quoted from idealjoker:

Unless you run some strange version of the software, it's difficult to see how this is possible because all three switches use the same switch handler, which is very simple and does not distinguish between the switches:
sw_droptarget_left_center:
sw_droptarget_left_lower:
sw_droptarget_left_upper:
branchIf F_gamePlay_disabled dt_exit ; drop target during game over
fillBitgroups LG_magSave_left ; increase left magnasave
score_digitSound 1x1000

So any ideas? This one has me stumped. Only thing I can think of is maybe messed up wiring to where the signal that the first two switches are closed is only able to register when the third is closed? Possibly diode related? Also still looking for some flipper coil wiring pictures.

#93 2 years ago

I would first run a switch test to make sure that all the switches (not just the drop target ones) register correctly both when open and closed. Depending on the results of that test I would then either disconnect the switch matrix connector from the driver board and trigger the switches at the connector to determine whether the problem is in the wiring, board or switches. If that still would not be clear, I would then try using a dedicated test ROM to pinpoint the problem.

Just to make sure, though: when you drop the first target you should get a magna-save lamp and the timer of the drop target starts. In order to get awarded a LORD lamp you need to complete the other two targets before the timer runs out. The default behavior can be changed with the settings. So you may also want to re-set the game to factory defaults before testing.

Quoted from C_Presley:

Also still looking for some flipper coil wiring pictures.

Next time I am at my games I'll take a look at my flipper coil wiring. If it looks original, I'll post a pic or two.

#94 2 years ago
Quoted from idealjoker:

I would first run a switch test to make sure that all the switches (not just the drop target ones) register correctly both when open and closed. Depending on the results of that test I would then either disconnect the switch matrix connector from the driver board and trigger the switches at the connector to determine whether the problem is in the wiring, board or switches. If that still would not be clear, I would then try using a dedicated test ROM to pinpoint the problem.
Just to make sure, though: when you drop the first target you should get a magna-save lamp and the timer of the drop target starts. In order to get awarded a LORD lamp you need to complete the other two targets before the timer runs out. The default behavior can be changed with the settings. So you may also want to re-set the game to factory defaults before testing.

Next time I am at my games I'll take a look at my flipper coil wiring. If it looks original, I'll post a pic or two.

I definitely get credit for ones that are down WHEN I hit the farthest one and timer, including a letter award if all three are down. I’ll be headed out to the shop in a bit to diagnose. As far as flipper is concerned I’ve rebuilt everything with the bottom right flipper perfectly, no change as far as power goes. The hold strength is very powerful but the actual flip power is incredibly weak. My guess is the wiring isn’t hooked up correctly since it is a correct coil and it has been rebuilt including button switch.

#95 2 years ago

Pictures of Jungle Lord in his natural environment

IMG_20211010_212912 (resized).jpgIMG_20211010_212912 (resized).jpgIMG_20211010_213106 (resized).jpgIMG_20211010_213106 (resized).jpg
#96 2 years ago
Quoted from C_Presley:

Also still looking for some flipper coil wiring pictures.

IMG_0974.jpgIMG_0974.jpg
#97 2 years ago
Quoted from idealjoker:

[quoted image][quoted image]

thanks, turns out my wiring is correct. It’s weird, my bottom right coil is super weak yet hold strength is way more than the others.

#98 2 years ago
Quoted from C_Presley:

my bottom right coil is super weak yet hold strength is way more than the others.

This is not something that I have come across, so I am talking out of my backside here. But weak flip and strong hold makes me worry about overheating the coil when you're holding the flipper. I would most likely desolder the coils and measure the resistances to verify that there are no coil problems and to double check that I connected them correctly.

Another thing to look at is the upper flipper. I believe that on JL the upper PF flippers get their power through the main flippers. So maybe there is something wrong with your right flipper connection on the upper PF?

#99 2 years ago

I got a good deal on a JL recently but the backglass was trash. I never much cared for it's "Naked and Afraid" vibe anyway so out of my own necessity but an alternate together for it. I will get a pick of it on the game tonight.

Jubngle lord PST 2 (resized).jpgJubngle lord PST 2 (resized).jpg
#100 2 years ago

Looks like I have to make a few adjustments and reprint. I was a little shy on overall width too. I did 2 paper test prints before printing the actual translite but dang its tough to get all the displays aligned. Still I happy with the color and content and it wont take much to dial it in. 4th times a charm.

jungle lord pic (resized).jpgjungle lord pic (resized).jpg
Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
1,600 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Langhorne, PA
$ 36.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 42.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

2,400 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Marietta, GA
Tools
Pincoder Store

There are 209 posts in this topic. You are on page 2 of 5.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/me-jungle-lord-club/page/2?hl=brettv and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.