Crazy-Cheep!.gif
IMG_0985.JPG
WMSGrey.jpg
20140523_175334_Richtone(HDR).jpg
IMG_0996.JPG
IMG_0998.JPG
IMG_0983.JPG
IMG_0991.JPG

There are 84 posts in this topic. You are on page 1 of 2.
#1 9 years ago

I picked up this Shadow last October and spent the whole winter working on it as time permitted, it needed the most attention of any pin I've ever purchased. My initial plan was just the basic repairs and shopping, but one thing lead to another and I ended up spending a ton of money to get it to where it's at now, but no regrets, I love it!

Please keep in mind while viewing these pics; This was my first attempt at woodwork, painting and clearcoating, which I did to repair the sanctum area. Special thanks to Vid for his playfield restoration thread, that is where I learned to do this repair. I call this an amateur restoration because that's what it is, I didn't strip the bottom of the playfield like some of you guys do. Maybe next time, but I did clean the wiring harness with a rag and Mean Green which took a lot of the grime off. I also cleaned all the inserts, light boards, cabinet, etc.

Also, I'm not a photographer, I did the best I could with a $130 Canon.

I decided to wait until I had this pin done before posting pics as most of you would have gotten pretty bored following a restoration thread for 6 months.

So, I'll post my pics and I hope a few of you who like Shadow's might enjoy the journey I've taken. There were many times I thought I'd never get this done, many adult beverages consumed and plenty of *adult wording* used in getting this Shadow to shine again!

First up; Bringing it home, it was very filthy and had many errors. The seller had it for 10 years and played the crap out of it, but never did any maintenance whatsoever. Note the poorly welded ramps, which were replaced with new ones from Kerry Stair.

IMG_0670.JPGIMG_0670.JPG
IMG_0671.JPGIMG_0671.JPG
IMG_0673.JPGIMG_0673.JPG
IMG_0672.JPGIMG_0672.JPG

#2 9 years ago

A few pics of the filthy.

Also found the small coil for the wall target was fried as well as the corresponding transistor, resulting in the target not dropping.

IMG_0701.JPGIMG_0701.JPG IMG_0705.JPGIMG_0705.JPG IMG_0718.JPGIMG_0718.JPG IMG_0717.JPGIMG_0717.JPG
#3 9 years ago

Ohhhhh yeah. I've had a game or 2 that filthy. They usually clean up great which is awesome. Good luck!

#4 9 years ago

Oh yeah that's dirty but should clean up nicely..

#5 9 years ago

I began tear-down and bought one of those "Sanctum Repair" stickers off e-bay, but knew that wasn't going to cut it.

I filled the sanctum hole with wood putty and sanded it smooth. The last pic is before sanding.

IMG_0707.JPGIMG_0707.JPG IMG_0710.JPGIMG_0710.JPG IMG_0721.JPGIMG_0721.JPG
#6 9 years ago

Really appreciate what you've done. Enjoying the pictures and the progress. Shadow looks like an involved tear down no?

#7 9 years ago

Hey guys, it's all done, just give me time to finish loading the pics!

After reading Vid's guide, I decided to give a try at air-brushing and spot clear coating with Spray-Max 2000. The clear works great, but I also learned to make sure you mask off EVERYTHING you don't want getting over-spray on. I thought since it's clear, what could it hurt? Well, I ended up spending a few more hours scrubbing off over-spray that couldn't be seen, but felt.

IMG_0747.JPGIMG_0747.JPG IMG_0748.JPGIMG_0748.JPG IMG_0750.JPGIMG_0750.JPG
#8 9 years ago

I got a "To The Sanctum" water-slide decal from fellow Pinsider "Big_Bob", who was very gracious in sending me several he printed off which was great, as I messed up the first attempt. I sprayed a light coat of clear first and then laid down the decal. After drying, I laid down about another 5 or 6 coats of clear on top.

IMG_0758.JPGIMG_0758.JPG
IMG_0759.JPGIMG_0759.JPG
IMG_0760.JPGIMG_0760.JPG

#9 9 years ago
Quoted from dmacy:

Really appreciate what you've done. Enjoying the pictures and the progress. Shadow looks like an involved tear down no?

If you want it to be, yes. Not too bad really, take lots of pics for reference!

#10 9 years ago

This is awesome, keep the pics coming.

#11 9 years ago

A few rust spots on the coin door I needed to sand out, plus I touched-up the Mongols a bit.

IMG_0772.JPGIMG_0772.JPG IMG_0773.JPGIMG_0773.JPG
#12 9 years ago

"What's taking so long!?"

Christmas break!

IMG_0728.JPGIMG_0728.JPG
#13 9 years ago
Quoted from RonB:

"What's taking so long!?"

Meow?

#14 9 years ago

In January I went full-bore and ordered a new plastic set from CPR, had Chestnut brass plate the gun, my new ramps from Kerry Stair/Mantis Amusements and the wire-forms.

I about broke the bank account that week, especially just after Christmas!

IMG_0751.JPGIMG_0751.JPG
IMG_0756.JPGIMG_0756.JPG
IMG_0755.JPGIMG_0755.JPG
IMG_0734.JPGIMG_0734.JPG
IMG_0732.JPGIMG_0732.JPG

#15 9 years ago

Oops, those were before pics of the wire-forms. This is how they came in, but I didn't take pics out of the plastic until after I installed them.

IMG_0754.JPGIMG_0754.JPG

#16 9 years ago

Starting re-assembly now that the mechanical problems and sanctum were repaired, as well as cleaning, waxing and polishing metal guides.

Remember, this is amateur at it's best!

Added a few spots, led's, star post, gold flipper bats, etc.

IMG_0761.JPGIMG_0761.JPG
IMG_0762.JPGIMG_0762.JPG

#17 9 years ago

One More back from the Brink again. Looking good. Keep it going. Very time consuming but well worth it. Better than watching TV or something useless like that. Shadow is a sweet game. Was one of my favorites for a while, wish I never traded it. This ensures that you will have a hard time letting it go.

#18 9 years ago

Now as I'm re-assembling, I remembered there was a ring light and harness missing. Not having any luck locating one, I made one using one of the connectors supplied with a Comet LED light strip, the bulb wires fit perfectly into the end and I improvised the rest.

IMG_0819.JPGIMG_0819.JPG IMG_0820.JPGIMG_0820.JPG
#19 9 years ago

Almost forgot to mention I also ordered up one of Aurich's alternate translight packages, a definite improvement over the original! When the machine is off it looks almost completely black in appearance, which I think is cool, but very difficult to photograph. Full lit pics to come.

IMG_0753.JPGIMG_0753.JPG IMG_0913.JPGIMG_0913.JPG
#20 9 years ago

Back to the coin door, I decided to repaint it a little different. I used Rust-Oleum Textured Metallic black with gold metal-flake. I know you purist out there probably won't like this, but it's my pin and it's definitely far from original at this point. In normal light it looks completely black, but when light is on it, the gold metal-flake stands out.

Also very hard to photograph.

IMG_0834.JPGIMG_0834.JPG
#21 9 years ago

Some other add-ons were new black smooth legs that I had clear-coated at a local body shop, leg mounting plates, bolts, levelers, clear flipper buttons with LED lights, etc.

Yes, there's wrinkling around the legs and I used cab protectors to cover most of it, but I also added soft felt strips behind them so as to not make it worse.

I also made reinforcements out of clear lexan for the easy-break plastics.

IMG_0828.JPGIMG_0828.JPG
IMG_0840.JPGIMG_0840.JPG
IMG_0784.JPGIMG_0784.JPG
IMG_0785.JPGIMG_0785.JPG

IMG_0823.JPGIMG_0823.JPG

#22 9 years ago

Along the way I decided a brass plated gun wouldn't look good with stainless side rails and lock-down bar, so another order was placed with Chestnut for those pieces.

I also painted the upper half of the inside cabinet walls with a high gloss black paint.

IMG_0869.JPGIMG_0869.JPG
IMG_0882.JPGIMG_0882.JPG
IMG_0870.JPGIMG_0870.JPG

#23 9 years ago

I know I'm jumping around a bit with my pics, so bear with me. This is taking longer than I thought, and I had to squeeze in some dinner between up-loads!

IMG_0744.JPGIMG_0744.JPG
#24 9 years ago

resto looks great mate..well done...

#25 9 years ago

Back to final finishing touches, I probably added around 6 spots, several LED strips from Comet including what I call "Stadium Lighting" for the Battlefield, red rubylith to the dmd available on e-bay, a backboard city scene, and most likely other items I'm forgetting.

IMG_0791.JPGIMG_0791.JPG IMG_0826.JPGIMG_0826.JPG IMG_0831.JPGIMG_0831.JPG
#26 9 years ago

Sweet looking pin Ron! Great job documenting it as well! Much appreciated!

#27 9 years ago

Previous photos show missing phurba's, one was broken off at the tabs so I bought a replacement from a fellow Pinsider, which are now re-installed.

I also had to buy replacement stickers for the diverters and new stand-up targets for the sides of the left ramp.

IMG_0864.JPGIMG_0864.JPG IMG_0867.JPGIMG_0867.JPG IMG_0873.JPGIMG_0873.JPG IMG_0874.JPGIMG_0874.JPG IMG_0876.JPGIMG_0876.JPG
#28 9 years ago

I'll post some more final pics soon, as this took a lot longer to do than I thought, and I have to work in the morning! BAH!

Thanks for the compliments guys, it makes it seem more worthwhile when others enjoy your hard labor!

#29 9 years ago

Bad ass, I've always wanted to see a brass Shadow with black legs. As I suspected it look sweet.

#30 9 years ago

Amazing! I am floored....Thanks for finding a Great use for the strips!
Timely too!, I finally found and bought a Shadow today! Order coming your way Aurich!

What an inspiration, Ron!

#31 9 years ago

Wow, what an amazing job on the Shadow.. Looks very nice, Ron!

#32 9 years ago
Quoted from OLDPINGUY:

I finally found and bought a Shadow today! Order coming your way Aurich!

I'm organizing another run, PM or email me.

#33 9 years ago
Quoted from OLDPINGUY:

Amazing! I am floored....Thanks for finding a Great use for the strips!
Timely too!, I finally found and bought a Shadow today! Order coming your way Aurich!
What an inspiration, Ron!

Thanks! You'll be happy to know all but two bulbs of the LED's are from you! I used a color-changing behind the battlefield up-kicker and one f'in bright red under the Shadow plastic, left-overs from Pinball Life.

#34 9 years ago

Another Comet strip I added behind the flippers.

IMG_0877.JPGIMG_0877.JPG IMG_0894.JPGIMG_0894.JPG
#35 9 years ago

Stepping back just a tad.....I also rebuilt all the flippers. The coils are strong so no need to change those, but I did scrub the mounting plates clean.

I also cleaned the bottom of the playfield and cab bottom as best I could.

More pics later as I need to get my ass to work, so I can pay for this madness!

IMG_0885.JPGIMG_0885.JPG IMG_0886.JPGIMG_0886.JPG
#36 9 years ago
Quoted from RonB:

Hey guys, it's all done, just give me time to finish loading the pics!

After reading Vid's guide, I decided to give a try at air-brushing and spot clear coating with Spray-Max 2000. The clear works great, but I also learned to make sure you mask off EVERYTHING you don't want getting over-spray on. I thought since it's clear, what could it hurt? Well, I ended up spending a few more hours scrubbing off over-spray that couldn't be seen, but felt.

Thanks for the awesome thread. How was your experience using the Spray Max 2k? After playing all the games at Clay's show this weekend I have decided I must learn to clear coat and this seems like a cheap and easy way to get into it. The EM's with cleared playfields and legs raised in the rear were just so much more fun.

#37 9 years ago

I can answer questions about Spraymax2K too, I've used it to do an entire playfield, not just spot clearing. For amateurs looking for a "real" solution I'm calling it good stuff. Just make sure you're wearing the proper safety gear and using it right, it's no joke shit. Goggles, gloves, and of course the proper respirator rated for organic chemicals, not some dust mask BS or anything.

I've thought about tearing down my Shadow, fixing up the mild Sanctum wear I have, along with a couple minor knicks, and trying another clear round. It's a lot of work though, as RonB can no doubt attest. Still, look as his end results, that's a sweet Shadow.

#38 9 years ago

Thanks Aurich, appreciate he input. From everything I have read it seems to be a lot simpler to use than a full spray system but gets pretty much the same results at a lower cost. Undoubtedly still have to deal with the full tear down system etc....lots of work, but could be worth it I imagine for the right games.

#39 9 years ago

Those leds look great! What color did you use for the gi? Also how did you go about lighting the battle field? I am picking up my shadow this weekend and am excited to get into it.

#40 9 years ago

Fantastic work, Ron! I know you've been at that one for quite some time, and it looks like it has paid off!

#41 9 years ago
Quoted from Tsskinne:

How was your experience using the Spray Max 2k?

Pretty much what Aurich said. Easy to use if you follow the directions and follow Vid's pf resto thread. The finish is great and seems very durable.

Quoted from Syco54645:

Those leds look great! What color did you use for the gi? Also how did you go about lighting the battle field?

I used frosted cool whites in most of the gi except where you see colors, of course. For the battlefield; I mounted one 7-segment strip in the rear under the clear exit tube facing up, it then reflects off the metal guard and onto the field. In the front I mounted another 7-seg strip behind the black shroud facing the field. I'll take some close-up pics of this to better show what I did.

Quoted from tamoore:

Fantastic work, Ron! I know you've been at that one for quite some time, and it looks like it has paid off!

Thanks! Only about half a year, also our entire winter!

#42 9 years ago

Beautiful job, that Shadow will be around for decades.

#43 9 years ago

A few more detailed photos of the Comet LED strips and how I mounted them. Hard to take a good pic of the one in the back of the battlefield, as my camera starts to mess up when trying to take a direct photo.

I couldn't mount the strip on the front any higher, so it mostly lights up the front and throws just enough light on the field, along with the strip in the rear it adds just enough light so I can see the ball.

IMG_0915.JPGIMG_0915.JPG
IMG_0914.JPGIMG_0914.JPG
IMG_0930.JPGIMG_0930.JPG
IMG_0927.JPGIMG_0927.JPG
IMG_0928.JPGIMG_0928.JPG

#44 9 years ago

Now just some random detail pics around the playfield, please excuse the lint, I forgot to blast it off before taking the pics.

Another light strip aimed into the lane.
IMG_0925.JPGIMG_0925.JPG

Color changing light behind the up-kicker.
IMG_0916.JPGIMG_0916.JPG
IMG_0917.JPGIMG_0917.JPG

Also changed the lights behind "The Shadow" type to flex-heads.

IMG_0893.JPGIMG_0893.JPG
#45 9 years ago

Just more random pics, sorry for duplicates.

IMG_0880.JPGIMG_0880.JPG
IMG_0884.JPGIMG_0884.JPG
IMG_0918.JPGIMG_0918.JPG
IMG_0929.JPGIMG_0929.JPG
IMG_0903.JPGIMG_0903.JPG
IMG_0895.JPGIMG_0895.JPG
IMG_0897.JPGIMG_0897.JPG
IMG_0906.JPGIMG_0906.JPG
IMG_0908.JPGIMG_0908.JPG

IMG_0899.JPGIMG_0899.JPG
IMG_0909.JPGIMG_0909.JPG
IMG_0840.JPGIMG_0840.JPG
IMG_0841.JPGIMG_0841.JPG
IMG_0837.JPGIMG_0837.JPG

#46 9 years ago

Also just found this little Infinity 8" 60watt powered sub on CL for $30., pounds out a lot more than I thought it would!

IMG_0911.JPGIMG_0911.JPG
#47 9 years ago
Quoted from RonB:

Some other add-ons were new black smooth legs that I had clear-coated at a local body shop, leg mounting plates, bolts, levelers, clear flipper buttons with LED lights, etc.
Yes, there's wrinkling around the legs and I used cab protectors to cover most of it, but I also added soft felt strips behind them so as to not make it worse.
I also made reinforcements out of clear lexan for the easy-break plastics.

IMG_0828.JPG 396 KB

IMG_0840.JPG 394 KB

IMG_0784.JPG 171 KB

IMG_0785.JPG 264 KB

IMG_0823.JPG 447 KB

You might want to take those plastic leg protectors off before they make your wrinkling look worse. All they will do is make a wrinkle line way out beyond your leg. if you want to make the wrinkle look better. use the metal under leg versions, cut off the wrinkled part, mask and spray black on the corners. Looks much better and you will not have wrinkling in the future. Nice thing about shadow is it's all black in the corners. Looks great. Exactly what I was planning on doing with mine. (gold ramps, and diverters)

#48 9 years ago

Great Idea, Neo!

I am still in awe over the photos....may I have your permission to use on my site?
(Of course a link and Credit!)

#49 9 years ago
Quoted from CaptainNeo:

if you want to make the wrinkle look better. use the metal under leg versions, cut off the wrinkled part, mask and spray black on the corners.

Good idea! I will do that when I get a chance.

Quoted from OLDPINGUY:

I am still in awe over the photos....may I have your permission to use on my site?

Man you're going to make me blush! Go right ahead, it'd be an honor!

#50 9 years ago

Ron, you have one of the nicest Shadows I've ever seen. And I'm not just saying that because of your excellent taste in translites. Sorry you're not closer so I could see it in person!

Promoted items from the Pinside Marketplace
$ 78.50
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Pinball Haus
Shooter rods
There are 84 posts in this topic. You are on page 1 of 2.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/me-and-my-shadow-an-amateur-restoration and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.