5 years ago

Topic Stats

• 2 posts
  • 2 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 1 year ago by Babysha
  • Topic is favorited by 3 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

final offset (resized).JPG
    gamecode offset choice (resized).JPG
    buffer 2meg (resized).JPG
    file offset (resized).JPG
    open file (resized).JPG

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider maddog14.
    Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#1 5 years ago

I have personally searched for the answer on how to use a larger eprom in place of a smaller eprom. I was never able to locate exact instruction or information how to do so. Anyone that referenced this made it so complicated. Consequently, what I have read never worked. So, here is the simple guide :

For example, you have a 4 meg chip and you want to use it in place of a 2 meg chip. Now you can.

This guide uses the MCUmall GQ USB Universal Eprom programmer as my example.

step 1: open up your programmer software

step 2:open up the rom/bin file you want to use, click open, then click ok on the next box that opens ( notice after you click on open a box opens up. One of the options is file offset. pay attention to that for later)

step 3: check the buffer tab on the program. look and see what the last buffer line is for offset. For this example, I chose the Funhouse L9 code. The L9 code uses a 2meg eprom (this is larger than the games original code, which used a 1meg chip) Also note, under device, I have chosen to use a 2meg chip.

step 4: under device, choose the 4 meg chip that you are going to use. Once you select the chip look under the buffer tab again. You will see that now you have twice as many lines of data. Look and see what line your game code ends and what the next line of game code is. We are looking at what the offset says. ( if you need to, reopen the game code you are using) see that my last line of game code is 0003FFF0. My next offset 00040000.

step 5: For whatever reason, The chips read at the 'back' of the chip first. So if you just burn the file to the chip without changing the offset, the game code will never be read. SO we want to start burning the file to the back side of the chip. That means we must change the offset, this is where the file will begin burning.
    Open up the game file code again. click open. In the box that says file offset, type in 00040000. click ok. That means, this is where the game code will start burning.

step 6: click write. the game code will then burn to eprom ( no need to double burn as some have suggested, which I never got to work)

This should work on any chip.
    If you have any question, just message me

open file (resized).JPGopen file (resized).JPGfile offset (resized).JPGfile offset (resized).JPGbuffer 2meg (resized).JPGbuffer 2meg (resized).JPGgamecode offset choice (resized).JPGgamecode offset choice (resized).JPGfinal offset (resized).JPGfinal offset (resized).JPG

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider maddog14.
    Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/md-s-guide-to-using-a-larger-eprom-in-place-of-smaller-eprom?tu=maddog14 and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.