(Topic ID: 214675)

MB's playfield... original restored or repro?

By the-ace

5 years ago

Topic Stats

You

Linked Games

#1 5 years ago

Hi, at the moment I'm doing a restoration of my Monster Bash.
The playfield needs some work, so I'm not sure if I want to send the playfield to get restored or to replace it with a repro.
In the past, I've bought a repro playfield by mirco at www.highclasspinballs.com for my Funhouse and I was really happy with the quality.

My question is: how much will a repro playfield affect the value ($) of the restored pinball machine?
Will the repro playfield turn my MB a difficult machine to sell, because the pf will be no more original?

Thanks for your answers

#2 5 years ago

Some people will want original, others won't care - it just depends on how picky the potential buyer is.

#3 5 years ago

As a side note, I do have a Micro MB - and I'm quite happy with it. I'm not a purist; just a satisfied customer.

#4 5 years ago

Thanks for both answers
jfesler --> Is there a difference between the original playfield and the one of Mirco or is the reproduction almost perfect? Gems and other parts are almost the same?

#5 5 years ago
Quoted from T7:

Some people will want original, others won't care - it just depends on how picky the potential buyer is.

I think you do run across playfields that are beyond restoration, or at least a restoration is effectively creating a new playfield. In those cases, a reproduction just seems like the right move. My original BoP was so destroyed that it would be an obscene repair, so I got a marvelous repro and it works beautifully. I have a CPR TOTAN repro in my TOTAN, and honestly, comparing to the original, you'll be hard pressed to notice the difference. I have never had a Mirco but I've heard good things.

One thing to bear in mind is that the original process, while great, was often flawed. I've seen original 90's era playfields with their registration off or other issues. Sometimes a repro is better than the original.

Not all repros put the same level of effort into clearcoating, though. YMMV.

#6 5 years ago

In most cases. original > Repro. people want original because vintage = more $$$. But that's not to say people won't pay good money for something not original. I know a guy who does a great job on repair and fixing up machines.

Promoted items from the Pinside Marketplace
$ 285.99
Cabinet - Other
PinSound
Other
Machine - For Sale
Bristow, VA
Eproms
Matt's Basement Arcade
Eproms
$ 1,059.00
Pinball Machine
Mircoplayfields
Pinball Machine
Cabinet - Sound/Speakers
PinSound
Sound/Speakers
$ 649.95
Lighting - Led
Pin Stadium Pinball Mods
Led
Flipper Parts
Precision Pinball prod.
Flipper parts
$ 79.99
Cabinet - Armor And Blades
PinGraffix Pinside Shop
Armor and blades
$ 40.00
Gameroom - Decorations
The Flipper Room
Decorations
$ 399.95
Lighting - Led
Pin Stadium Pinball Mods
Led
Boards
KAHR.US Circuits
Boards
$ 12.95
Playfield - Decals
Pinball Pimp
Decals
$ 5.00
Playfield - Protection
UpKick Pinball
Protection
Machine - For Sale
Brighton, CO
Lighting - Led
Pin Stadium Pinball Mods
Led
£ 55.00
Cabinet - Decals
Sillyoldelf Mods
Decals
$ 9.99
Eproms
Matt's Basement Arcade
Eproms
$ 20.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Don's Pinball Swag Barn
Toys/Add-ons
$ 72.99
Lighting - Interactive
Lee's Parts
Interactive
Cabinet - Other
NO GOUGE PINBALL™
Other
$ 37.50
Boards
Pinball Haus
Boards
Machine - For Sale
Livermore, CA
$ 38.00
Various Novelties
Pinball Photos LLC
Various novelties
$ 39.00
Cabinet - Other
Arcade Upkeep
Other
Machine - For Sale
Lake Elsinore, CA
$ 219.00
Gameroom - Decorations
Lit Frames
Decorations
$ 24.99
Playfield - Plastics
Pinhead mods
Plastics
$ 29.00
Gameroom - Decorations
Pinball Photos LLC
Decorations
Hey modders!
Your shop name here

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/mbs-playfield-original-restored-or-repro and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.