Topic poll

“Which game would you choose?”

• MBR(ce) 59 votes
    63%
  • Congo 35 votes
    37%

(94 votes)

Topic Gallery

There have been 2 images uploaded to this topic. (View topic image gallery).

68476CAD-3689-4B5F-A209-68CCD4DC2865 (resized).jpeg
5c0738ec-bfa7-4bbd-a1da-b298e56b1e5e (resized).jpg

There are 66 posts in this topic. You are on page 1 of 2.
#1 1 year ago

I've started other vs threads before but this may be the hardest one for me to decide on.
Considering MBR (ce) but it would mean selling my Congo to help with the funds and space.
Which one would you go with and why?

#2 1 year ago

Different price points. Not a fair comparison IMO. Congo since it’s ~$3k less.

#3 1 year ago

I like congo game play better but mb theme is better. I had congo for years and mb for months. I think congo is great game for 4k and under and its hard to find. Mb is will b easy to get now so just sell congo when your completely done with it and buy mbr

#4 1 year ago

MM was one of my first. It lasted about a year and sold it to,buy a congo and creech. Five years later and congo is still here and I have NEVER missed MM, that is for sure. If you ever get a hankering to play one then pretty easy to get your fix for a ten spot on route or at pretty much every collectors house that has at least ten games.

#5 1 year ago

Congo is vastly underrated. Monster Bash is vastly overrated. I keep telling myself i'm going to move on from my Congo and just can't pull the trigger. Monster Bash is a good game that has hype and the Universal Monsters theme to make up for only average gameplay.

#6 1 year ago

I don't think it's a fair comparison. Very different games and huge price difference. MB is probably the better game because of theme and more cohesive rules. Congo is just a mix of different things and no real strategy. You do get Super MB from getting 100 diamonds but it's not that different from regular MB. Still a fun game and one of my favorites. MB is fun but not 2x Congo fun.

#7 1 year ago

I really like MB and it is the better game here, but I would still go with Congo. It's a hard one to get and decent rules. Really fun too, that volcano shot feels so good.

#8 1 year ago
Quoted from Whysnow:

MM was one of my first. It lasted about a year and sold it to,buy a congo and creech. Five years later and congo is still here and I have NEVER missed MM, that is for sure. If you ever get a hankering to play one then pretty easy to get your fix for a ten spot on route or at pretty much every collectors house that has at least ten games.

Gotta agree with this, MM sucks the big one. However MB is forever great. Congo? Couldn't get rid of it fast enough and it still haunts me to this day, can't believe it's now a $4K game when it's really only a $1500 game at best.

John

#9 1 year ago

Congo is a game I still can't get into. The theme is just so bad, it's fairly easy but what is the worst part is that pf underneath that feels like such a waste. I keep it in my radar though but as it gets now expensive I get less interested.

Mb no question. It's literally everything that makes pinball..... Pinball. Great music great theme great shots great toys great art great dots great cabinet etc

#10 1 year ago
Quoted from delt31:

worst part is that pf underneath that feels like such a waste

I always hear people say this but I dont understand the thought...

The monkey is essentially an upside down seesaw flipper mech that you use to hit 5 targets and on my game at least it is not a give me. (pretty sure you can reduce the time a little if it is too easy and that makes it way more fun/frantic/challenging).

#11 1 year ago
Quoted from Whysnow:

I always hear people say this but I dont understand the thought...
The monkey is essentially an upside down seesaw flipper mech that you use to hit 5 targets and on my game at least it is not a give me. (pretty sure you can reduce the time a little if it is too easy and that makes it way more fun/frantic/challenging).

It's just not fun and feels cheap. It kills the flow/tempo of the game.

#12 1 year ago
Quoted from delt31:

It's just not fun and feels cheap. It kills the flow/tempo of the game.

Come on Delt.....Congo is an underrated game. The lower playfield is integrated well and kids absolutely love the lower playfield. Congo overall shoots so good. I do wish there was more to the rules but like most games of that era, the rules are good but usually not too deep.

As far as MB vs Congo.....for value its not even close. Congo wins. Take value out of the equation and I'll give the nod to MB.....probably because the theme is better.

Both great games and soon I'll add MB to my collection that already includes Congo.

#13 1 year ago
Quoted from ercvacation:

the rules are good but usually not too deep.

I find Congo to have lots of breadth and have many things I am yet to see.
Cool thing about congo code is that it really is a choose your own adventure.

#14 1 year ago

I own MB original and congo both fantastic games but I would go with congo because it's great and cheaper you can also use the rest of the money to buy another good game.

#15 1 year ago
Quoted from Whysnow:

The rules definitely keep going but its kind of the same thing once you get through. I love it so no complaints from me. It could get old in a smaller collection but it fits well in a bigger collection.

#16 1 year ago

Congo. Once you get it rollin, it's great. The lower playfield does get progressively more difficult. The lights will go out if you don't complete it fast enough.

Skill fire is a great mode too.

#17 1 year ago

I played both a bunch at expo last week and while I'd choose MB, Congo is extremely enjoyable, I was pleasantly surprised.

#18 1 year ago
Quoted from Squeakman:

Congo is vastly underrated.

Is it? It apparently used to be considered a joke but has been well regarded by many on Pinside for years now, and fetches $4k.

Seems like it’s pretty rated.

#19 1 year ago

You will be much happier with the Monster Bash IMO - it's a complete package game, and is great.
Just make sure you keep it adjusted to play at or above your skill level. If MB is setup too easy, it loses the fun factor (as will any game IMO).

#20 1 year ago

I'd take Congo over monster bash any day.

#21 1 year ago
Quoted from gliebig:

The lower playfield does get progressively more difficult. The lights will go out if you don't complete it fast enough.
Skill fire is a great mode too.

First few times are pretty easy but it does get difficult after a while. It's actually pretty fun when the timers get short. It's not the best mini pf in pinball but hardly the worst. Congo has lots of fun modes - skill fire and jungle jackpot stand out for me. You also have 4 different mb's and 2 different video modes. Layout is great and very similar to Tron. I think a lot of people ignored this game because of theme. Once people started playing it then people recognized it was a pretty fun game. Maybe not an 'A' title but it's definitely not a $1500 crap game. Please. Part of the pricing is the rarity. Same reason MB got so expensive - there is just not a lot of them out there.

#22 1 year ago
Quoted from fosaisu:

Is it? It apparently used to be considered a joke but has been well regarded by many on Pinside for years now, and fetches $4k.
Seems like it’s pretty rated.

still vastly under rated. Best WPC-95 game out there and if MB and MM and AFM sell for 7500 then Congo is still a steal at 4k plus.

#23 1 year ago

Mbr is a better player, Congo has a ton going on in it though.

#24 1 year ago
Quoted from mollyspub:

I've started other vs threads before but this may be the hardest one for me to decide on.
Considering MBR (ce) but it would mean selling my Congo to help with the funds and space.
Which one would you go with and why?

We're having the same issue right now. We're at capacity and Congo would probably offset most of the MBr cost out of the options of games we'd sell.

But each time I play it, I realize how much fun it is. The rules plateau after Super Multiball, but that's not happening each game. MBr will also have that same issue.

I totally want MBr but Congo is much harder to find, shoots well, and has a ton of stuff going on. It may be a while before we pull the trigger on the lineup change.

#25 1 year ago

Mbr I don't think plateaus as much because it just starts again collecting monsters and gear., but I get what you're saying.

#26 1 year ago
Quoted from Whysnow:

How can you have had a Congo for very long and not seen all of the code. On a really good game you can see everything very easily.

With that said there is plenty of code, good shots, and everything is well implemented. It's a fun game and a really good second tier title. It's not as rare as people claim though and if you want another one you can find one easily. I know current owners like to pump it as super rare to increase the price but I've owned 3 of them and could have easily owned another 4 if I wanted them. It's also not a game that is just really missed in my opinion if you have played it a lot and are ready for something else. Sure it's fun, but so is a new MB.

#27 1 year ago

The only reason I don't play my Congo as much as I used to is because I have seen everything in the pin. Even the GRAY rewards max out. Wish there was a little more to that. Even though, it's a great pin to turn on every once in a while and just have a great time. Especially around midnight.

#28 1 year ago
Quoted from jgentry:

How can you have had a Congo for very long and not seen all of the code. On a really good game you can see everything very easily.

I guess mine is set up right, or I just suck at pinball.

Granted I have lots of top 200 buddies and none of them has made it through everything on the game either and certainly never on a single game.

#29 1 year ago

I've had my Congo for over 7.5 years now and it would be one of the last pins to leave my collection if I was to ever downsize. I'm also glad I got it when it wasn't loved and paid $1640cdn too. This was also at the same time when Monster Bash was commanding $6000-6500. I was new to the hobby and hadn't been desensitized to the upper tier pricing (yet)

Monster Bash is a fun game and I always enjoy playing it in other people's collections but I couldn't justify dropping $9000-$12000 for it. However I might consider the new Monster Bash Remake Classic Edition since it is priced at $6k usd.

#30 1 year ago
Quoted from Whysnow:

I guess mine is set up right, or I just suck at pinball.
Granted I have lots of top 200 buddies and none of them has made it through everything on the game either and certainly never on a single game.

So your Congo is just so crazy hard that yourself and 200 other good players can't get it rolling huh? Both it and MB are on about the same depth level and good players can often see all that either has to offer in one game. Acting like this is not true is silly. I'm not that great of a player and I've seen everything in Congo on 4 different games (actual different games, not I beat Congo 4 times on the same game). Same goes for MB. Both are really fun good games, neither are overly hard or deep.

#31 1 year ago
Quoted from jgentry:

So your Congo is just so crazy hard that yourself and 200 other good players can't get it rolling huh? Both it and MB are on about the same depth level and good players can often see all that either has to offer in one game. Acting like this is not true is silly. I'm not that great of a player and I've seen everything in Congo on 4 different games (actual different games, not I beat Congo 4 times on the same game). Same goes for MB. Both are really fun good games. neither are overly hard or deep.

You must be really good?

I honestly have not even come close to completing everything the game has to offer.

I have been to the 100 diamond multiball a few times now, but not made the end of the map, more than 3rd grey level, beyond 2nd video mode, ever seen skillshot rapid fire thing (1 buddy did that once) and still never completed the full amy.

I am seriously amazed that you have done all modes, multis, and special modes in a single 3 ball game! That is insane to me!

#32 1 year ago
Quoted from Whysnow:

You must be really good?
I honestly have not even come close to completing everything the game has to offer.
I have been to the 100 diamond multiball a few times now, but not made the end of the map, more than 3rd grey level, beyond 2nd video mode, ever seen skillshot rapid fire thing (1 buddy did that once) and still never completed the full amy.
I am seriously amazed that you have done all modes, multis, and special modes in a single 3 ball game! That is insane to me!

I don't know man, maybe I'm just good at that game. There sure is plenty that I suck at though. I've had at least 10 games on Congo over 4 billion though and one over 8 billion. Just plays easy to me and the hardest shot in game (the right ramp) isn't really implemented so that it's needed to advance. The map modes are easy as that is an easy left ramp to make over and over.

#33 1 year ago
Quoted from ercvacation:

Come on Delt.....Congo is an underrated game. The lower playfield is integrated well and kids absolutely love the lower playfield. Congo overall shoots so good. I do wish there was more to the rules but like most games of that era, the rules are good but usually not too deep.
As far as MB vs Congo.....for value its not even close. Congo wins. Take value out of the equation and I'll give the nod to MB.....probably because the theme is better.
Both great games and soon I'll add MB to my collection that already includes Congo.

How is Congo overrated when it quadrupled in price and sells for $4k-$5k now? They used to part Congos out to fix pins like Monster Bash. If anything is overrated and overpriced right now it's Congo.

All the Congo owners can stop pumping it. It's not going any higher.

#34 1 year ago

Congo shoots way better, and whilst it doesn't have the deepest code, it's more difficult to complete than MB.

Also, there aren't *THAT* many about, and finding a decent one again might be difficult. The market's going to flood with units of MBr and it won't be any problem to find either new ones or HUO used examples for much less than new.

#35 1 year ago

I enjoy both, so it really comes down to value. I've never owned any of the "big three" fan layouts, so when I get a chance to play them I really enjoy them. Based on reviews of people I trust, they tend to get a bit stale when you own them. For me Monster Bash plays the easiest, but it's also the game I'm the least familiar with. I really don't know how deep it plays. It had worried me that people said that it wasn't super deep, but if it's on the same level as Congo, I'd be less worried. I've owned Congo for a few years now and agree that there are things I rarely see. There is quite a lot going on with the diamonds, maps, and mysteries. If you can get past the theme, I feel there is no question that Congo is the better value.

Quoted from jgentry:

I don't know man, maybe I'm just good at that game. There sure is plenty that I suck at though. I've had at least 10 games on Congo over 4 billion though and one over 8 billion. Just plays easy to me and the hardest shot in game (the right ramp) isn't really implemented so that it's needed to advance. The map modes are easy as that is an easy left ramp to make over and over.

You don't need to shoot the right ramp a ton, just a few times for the extra ball. My previous strategy was to hit the left ramp to collect mystery and maps, however recently, I've been going more for grey followed by either combos or caves. My scores seem to be slightly better with this strategy, but it's not like it's unbalanced. There seem to be quite a few ways to play the game.

#36 1 year ago
Quoted from rubberducks:

there aren't *THAT* many about

Yeah with only 2k ish made and supposedly lots parted back in the day, it is definately the more rare of all the WPC-95 games.

People say that they are not going up anymore but if you go look at actual sales, it is definitely still going up.
2017 you could find them for 3800
2018 and they are 4500+ with many selling for more than 5

I am not price pumping as I am never selling. Just pointing out the hard reality.

I honestly believe it will approach AFM prices in the next year. It is just that good of a game and that rare to find since more and more have settled into permanent collections.

#37 1 year ago

Congo 10K by xmas. CGC #4....CongoR.

#38 1 year ago
Quoted from NorCalRealtor:

How is Congo overrated when it quadrupled in price and sells for $4k-$5k now?

please show me ANY congo that was selling for 1k. lol...

go back to shilling your crappy PONG game you are much better at that.

#39 1 year ago

Bad topic for me to read
I am thinking the same thing right now.
Had a nice original Mb before
Regretted selling it,always fun to play.
I beat it all the time,but always fun.

Congo is always fun to play.
Still see new things now and then.
Just seen the third video mode for the first time a few months ago.
I thought before that I had finished the game multiple times.

Hard choice for me,money a side. They both are fun.
Still have a MBLE on order, might need to keep the Congo to.

#40 1 year ago
Quoted from Whysnow:

Yeah with only 2k ish made and supposedly lots parted back in the day, it is definately the more rare of all the WPC-95 games.
People say that they are not going up anymore but if you go look at actual sales, it is definitely still going up.
I am not price pumping as I am never selling. Just pointing out the hard reality.
I honestly believe it will approach AFM prices in the next year. It is just that good of a game and that rare to find since more and more have settled into permanent collections.

Maybe, but with the remake AFM is a 6K game now or low 5's for a used classic edition remake. People are already asking 5K for Congo's so who knows. They are not hard to find though as long as you don't expect them to be 3K anymore.

#41 1 year ago

Regardless of what we prefer, don't sell Congo until you feel like you're ready to let it go. Go put some time on it while asking yourself that question and the answer will be revealed.

#42 1 year ago

Congo will never be remade and will only become increasingly more difficult to acquire. The market is about to be flooded with Monster Bash.

#43 1 year ago
Quoted from Whysnow:

I honestly believe it will approach AFM prices in the next year.

Which AFM prices to we can have the particulars of the bet we're aboot to make stated.

Quoted from jgentry:

I don't know man, maybe I'm just good at that game. There sure is plenty that I suck at though. I've had at least 10 games on Congo over 4 billion though and one over 8 billion.

Not that hard to have a monster game on it for sure. Is there anyway we can look at past event scoring on like neverdrain or something? i feel like a good game in tournaments around here was around 3-4?

#44 1 year ago
Quoted from Whysnow:

No titles are going to hit those kind of prices again. Market's too saturated.

Congo will probably rise a bit more though, as IMO it's one of the best shooting DMD-era games ever, and more people are realising it.

#45 1 year ago
Quoted from NorCalRealtor:

All the Congo owners can stop pumping it. It's not going any higher.

Why would we want to pump up the price on Congo? All the owners that have chimed in, including myself have stated that they will not sell anyway.

#46 1 year ago
Quoted from Squeakman:

Why would we want to pump up the price on Congo? All the owners that have chimed in, including myself have stated that they will not sell anyway.

He just keeps projecting. He has done it for years and what he always does since he is a hustler in sales.
He has a sweet Pong game to sell you from China also

#47 1 year ago

I paid 2800 cad for my congo 4 years ago been offered 6500cad turned it down, I will never sell mine

#48 1 year ago

Not selling mine either, it puts too many smiles on my face. Both are fun pins and you should get whichever puts a smile on yours.

#49 1 year ago

Congo is a fun game, but not in the same class as MB.....that being said everyone has their own opinion

#50 1 year ago

The two titles are hard to compare in my opinion. I play in the APPL (Az Pinball Players League) and I get to see what all the wizards keep in their collections in and around Phoenix Arizona. Both of these titles are banes in the wizard world. Of the 20 to 30 collections I have played on, MB and Congo are NOT titles that hang around in wizards collections. Both are fun, both have their strengths, and most will put Congo above MB on which is more challenging, but almost all agree, these are not keepers in most wizards lineups and are usually transient. Everyone loves to play MB, especially getting to the final MoR Bash em up, and when you have guests it is always fun to show off by getting to that mode, which is not that hard. Getting a high score, all the instruments, etc... is where wizards have to challenge themselves. RTU is harder to get, and why I like AFM more and why it is in most wizards collections instead of MB. Congo is a sleeper title, and some players love it when they see it in tournament play, but almost all roll their eyes when MB is in the lineup, usually due to the massively long game times it brings to a competition. You should ask yourself which do you prefer more, a challenging, fun game or an impressive piece of playable art? Because MBrLE is just that... a gorgeous feast for the eyes, ears, and flipper fingers.

Promoted items from the Pinside Marketplace
Cabinet - Other
Rock Custom Pinball
$ 14.99
Electronics
PinballElectronics.com
$ 154.00
Cabinet - Toppers
Id Rather Play Pinball
There are 66 posts in this topic. You are on page 1 of 2.

Hey there! Got a moment?

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run thanks to donations from our visitors? Please donate to Pinside, support the site and get anext to your username to show for it! Donate to Pinside