• 31 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 5 years ago by TheLaw
  • No one calls this topic a favorite

You

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

Yasss.gif
There are 82 posts in this topic. You are on page 1 of 2.
#1 5 years ago

Seriously considering either of these for next pin purchase. Me and the little guy have been playing MBr a bunch at the arcade. X-Men seems like it has a lot going on although I've not put a ton of time on one.

I like the mode based games like Met. I like the challenge of getting to these modes as well whereas TZ you hit the slot or piano which is less rewarding but LITZ is so much fun.

Current lineup

Met Prem - gets played a lot by both me and the soon to be 8 year old. I still have not reached EOTL but have completed 3 CIU modes. I'm somewhat strategic with playing this game. My first and only NIB purchase.

TZ - this game will probably never leave and I will likely restore it soon. This game we play to try and get to LITZ. once LITZ is achieved this game gets played less until we need a LITZ fix again. I cannot get LITZ on demand it takes done effort.

JP - fun enough of a game, I restored it. It may have a price tag on it at MGC. Still learning the rules on this.

SBM - good for a quick game. I bought this for the art and as a restore candidate. Restoration is almost complete. Likely have a price tag at MGC as well.

#2 5 years ago

Get the MBr, you can buy a classic edition for under $6000

#3 5 years ago
Quoted from Coz:

Get the MBr, you can buy a classic edition for under $6000

I'd go with an SE just cause the extra bling and I'd buy it as part of the MGC, 6800.

So 5500 vs 6800

#5 5 years ago

MBr vote here too. I had an Xmen and it just didn't have staying power in my collection.

#6 5 years ago

MBR

Look I get There's a little ground swell of 4 people mentioning how good xmen is but is aint MB.

MEt is not a mode based game btw

#7 5 years ago

For the re

Quoted from TheLaw:

MBR
Look I get There's a little ground swell of 4 people mentioning how good xmen is but is aint MB.
MEt is not a mode based game btw

Then what is it and what is considered mode based? I guess I have some learning to do.

#8 5 years ago

I'm planning to bring XM Pro to MGC. If you're going, make sure to give it some plays. Shoot me a PM and I can meet up with you and explain some of the rules. It's crammed full of shots, has at least 4 multiballs, and 2 different sets of modes (heroes and villains). It is a really cool game.

If you do go the route of MBr - make sure to hit up @kingpingames.

#9 5 years ago
Quoted from kcZ:

Then what is it and what is considered mode based? I guess I have some learning to do.

I would call it a collection game; you're collecting each item in order to unlock/get further in the game.
TZ is a true Mode based game. You have to complete X amount of modes to progress; modes are times. JP, GB...etc

#10 5 years ago
Quoted from TheLaw:

I would call it a collection game; you're collecting each item in order to unlock/get further in the game.
TZ is a true Mode based game. You have to complete X amount of modes to progress; modes are times. JP, GB...etc

See... I consider those as opposites. TZ, I collect modes to move on but don't need to do squat in any of the modes just collect them or light there part of the door, if you will.
But Met, I have to do things to get to a mode like hitting the ramps to get Lady of Justice. Or the inserts to get CIU.

Not arguing... Just discussing.

#11 5 years ago
Quoted from kcZ:

But Met, I have to do things to get to a mode like hitting the ramps to get Lady of Justice. Or the inserts to get CIU.

Lady Justice is of no consequence of the end game though, it isn;t needed to progress though the game.
Anywhom, modes are pretty well defined and games like TZ, WW, TAF, & JP are going to be some of the first examples people mention.

#12 5 years ago

Honestly, neither of those two games are really good mode based games. For MBr you shoot a shot to start that shot again (for the most part). With X-men, it's the same thing for Hero's. Villains have a bit more variety though at least. I really hate those that come into these threads and suggest other games but if you truly are a mode based person then I would strongly suggest expanding your market. If it's between these two games X-men has more "modes" and has some good flow. MBr is just that special classic for a reason. With a family I'd go MBr but for you I would go X-men.

#13 5 years ago

I'd go with MBr easily...
Is it as deep... No... But, I think the remake animations are better, just go with the SE or get the upgraded display. Callouts and music better. And while both cabs and translights look good. I think MBr has a better theme. Love the X-men though. And I do think it shoots really good.
And can be had cheaply. I think around 4-5.5k can get an LE.

The problem though is... You might have to tinker and tweak the machine, if you already haven't done so. Lots of flaws and stupid things, like the Wolverine bash toy, that should be sorted out by the time you get it, but you never know.
Also, the iceman ramp had a lot of issues.

Still, if both the Wolverine and Magneto LE do look really nice. And would be cheaper. I for one don't hate the callouts, I think they do a nice job trying to convey the 90s animated show, but Monster Bash has better callouts... But, then I'd say the same thing against 99% of pins, that Monster Bash has better callouts. Its a fun game.

If you do get an X-men... Just look through the forums and online for the flaws and things you need to look out for. That way you get the best version you can.

#14 5 years ago

Yeah... Im not sure that I'm a mode based game person any more. I like how Met has a bunch of things to achieve as compared to TZ which really has one thing to achieve being LITZ.

#15 5 years ago

H had x-men wolvie and really like it... Lots of shots and over a fun game. Loaded with mechs compared to many other games.
Monster bash is beyond boring to me.. had one years ago and couldn't wait to sell it. Is it a great looking game... yeah it is, but after 3 balls its time to move on. Never understood the love. Either of the other big two (AFM or MM) are way better.
Try xmen if you can grab it for a good price

#17 5 years ago

Im a bit concerned that MBr will get old in a hurry. If I play TZ like I do Met, it would be beyond old.

#18 5 years ago

My $.02 is that if anyone other than you is going to play the chosen machine then MBr.

Guests, spouses and non pinball people will almost certainly appreciate Monster Bash more than X-men.

#19 5 years ago
Quoted from vbittnv:

H had x-men wolvie and really like it... Lots of shots and over a fun game. Loaded with mechs compared to many other games.
Monster bash is beyond boring to me.. had one years ago and couldn't wait to sell it. Is it a great looking game... yeah it is, but after 3 balls its time to move on. Never understood the love. Either of the other big two (AFM or MM) are way better.
Try xmen if you can grab it for a good price

I do think AFM is the best of the three(MB, AFM, MM), but with the stupid market of LE being what it is... I really wanted to make sure I got an LE, because I just think the LE is something special. Otherwise I would have taken my money and bought an AFMr SE... Or maybe a nice used LE... Just a really nice offer and a reasonable price(for an LE).

For me AFM has more to aim for. Total Annihilation, then destroy mars, and then finally ruler of the universe... And lets not forget that along the way you have a nice goal of achieving Martian MB, which is always fun to get and stackable, and adds so many different strategy options. And also I think it has one of the best video modes. Short, but sweat, and fun, and totally fits the theme.

Monter Bash has nothing like the above, and that does hurt it. It has really just a few modes and goals. Mosh Pit MB, Frankenstien MB(which you can stack with the other modes if they're running of course), Monster Bash WM, and Monsters of Rock WM. I do like how you can stack Monster Bash mode with other modes, and that makes it easier to get the instruments. The only problem with that is you go out of MB and into Monsters of Rock right away once you collect all the instruments. Yes, it is a more lucrative mode...
But, I think the best strategy is to save one instrument(an easy to get one like mummy), for after you complete and drain out of MB. Hopefully not triple drain. And then activate Mummy and get the instrument and then start up Monsters of rock for the big points.
But, yeah... That's it for MB...
Not a lot to mine and dig in that game. If you're a point player, a bigger score is what you shoot for.
But, I think its just too pretty and too fun to play to pass up.
Best machine ever... No... But, its a good one. Just not very deep even for a 90s pin it was shallow.

#20 5 years ago

I own x men and original MB I prefer playing x men because of the deeper rule set compared to the easier rule set of MB but they are both great enjoyable games and you can't go wrong with either one.

#21 5 years ago
Quoted from kcZ:

Im a bit concerned that MBr will get old in a hurry. If I play TZ like I do Met, it would be beyond old.

You're keeping your Met right??? If so, when you get a bit bored of either pin go play Met, and then come back. Rinse and repeat... Everyone wins... Three of the 4 games in my collection are broken and need some work, some major, some minor... But, I have a Maiden and honestly... I prefer playing that over them... So... I let them sit instead of getting them serviced. Waste of space I know, but I am single. So I got plenty of space to waste.

So as long as you're not unloading any game to make room, I think you'll be good enough in your lineup to not truly be bored.

Personally for me, I'd never own a Met... But, everyone has their own taste. And I'm just ribbing you on that last thing. So don't be offended. But, yuck... You couldn't pay me to own a Met.

#22 5 years ago
Quoted from kcZ:

See... I consider those as opposites. TZ, I collect modes to move on but don't need to do squat in any of the modes just collect them or light there part of the door, if you will.

MB is kinda like a less-complex Metallica in that sense. Starting the Bride mode is kinda like starting Lady Justice. Hit each of her ramps a bunch of times to light up her inserts, then her mode starts. Hit the orbits (moons) a bunch of times, Wolfman starts. Spell Dracula with the red targets, then hit the scoop to start Drac mode. Get enough bumper hits to light Mummy at the scoop, hit scoop to start his mode. Hit Creech's saucer enough times to start his mode.

Starting all characters (character inserts) lights Monster Bash (mini-wiz mode). Completing their modes (instruments inserts) lights Monsters of Rock (main wiz mode).

The big fun of Monster Bash is getting as many modes stacked as you can before starting Frank Multiball. The modes are timed, but if they're running when you start MB, they keep going as long as that MB is going.

X-Men blows, stay away unless you like absolutely horrible voices. It has a ton of modes, but they don't really amount to anything interesting or fun. It's an example of people using the term "depth" incorrectly. X-Men doesn't have depth...it just has a lot of content...but it doesn't gel into anything resembling true pinball depth.

#23 5 years ago

I just can't stand MB. Besides being shallow (esp. for the price) the sounds and voices get on my nerves. Nothing inspiring about it.

I wouldn't call X-Men LE inspiring, but there's much more to do in it. Beast is the worst voice in the history of pinball, and perhaps the world, but the others are good (Storm's acting is over the top, yes). I liked the game because there's a ton of shots and cool mechs. Dark Phoenix wizard mode is very cool.

The market's going to be flooded with MBr. They'll never be more X-Men LEs.

#24 5 years ago
Quoted from kcZ:

If thats the case id go with xmen... mb can get old fairly quickly . Xmen has alot going on and nice code... plus its cheaper.

#25 5 years ago

Also there are some great sound packages available for xmen to take it up another level.

#26 5 years ago

This is the easiest decision you'll ever make....MBR by a mile.....if u have the cash get the SE or LE

#27 5 years ago

The call outs on either will have u gun shopping within a week or so. Buy a Maiden or SW's

#28 5 years ago
Quoted from Guinnesstime:

The market's going to be flooded with MBr. They'll never be more X-Men LEs.

Unlike Guinnesstime I like mb, but this point is good. If you like x-men and have a good le deal,go for that. you won't have trouble finding mbr for years.

#29 5 years ago
Quoted from Hazoff:

The call outs on either will have u gun shopping within a week or so. Buy a Maiden or SW's

I wanted a Maiden last year but did not pull the trigger. Now after playing one for a bit at the arcade, I'm not as into it as I was. SW as in Stern Star Wars... I'll pass, played a Pro at the bar and could not get away fast enough although I'm sure setup played a big role.

#30 5 years ago

I do like Guardians tho but I like these other two more. Also, not sold on the Stern LCD display...I like dots more in that they are more artistic.

#31 5 years ago

Had a Wolverine bought new in box, had fun for a while but I agree it won’t have long term staying power. I just got a MBrLE and love it, and maybe more importantly the kids love it.

#32 5 years ago
Quoted from kcZ:

I do like Guardians tho but I like these other two more. Also, not sold on the Stern LCD display...I like dots more in that they are more artistic.

Yasss.gifYasss.gif
#33 5 years ago

AFM is better than both.

AFM > MB > XMLE

#34 5 years ago
Quoted from kcZ:

It will.... MB is fun, but it is $3K fun from a rules perspective. It has a ton of charm, but once that wears off, you are stuck with a pretty easy game.

Xmen is the opposite. Not a lot of charm, but a ton of depth and a lot of shots. If you liked the layout of Funhouse, you will like Xmen, it is basically a mirrored Funhouse.

I only sold my Xmen Pro to Deaconblooze because I was pretty heavy with games with deep rules at the time. It will make Metallica seem shallow.

#35 5 years ago
Quoted from Deaconblooze:

I'm planning to bring XM Pro to MGC. If you're going, make sure to give it some plays. Shoot me a PM and I can meet up with you and explain some of the rules. It's crammed full of shots, has at least 4 multiballs, and 2 different sets of modes (heroes and villains). It is a really cool game.
If you do go the route of MBr - make sure to hit up kingpingames.

Take Deacon up on his offer... Having someone get you pointed in the right direction on Xmen is a good idea.

It would be best if you played while he explained what to shoot, if he had to make the shots, you would never see what the game has to offer...

#36 5 years ago
Quoted from ralphwiggum:

Take Deacon up on his offer... Having someone get you pointed in the right direction on Xmen is a good idea.
It would be best if you played while he explained what to shoot, if he had to make the shots, you would never see what the game has to offer...

My problem with someone pointing me in the right direction is that it does not really stick to memory until I've played the hell out of it. Neo showed me Swords of Fury and as long as he was standing there telling me what to hit it was super fun. Met... I probably still don't know what to shoot for to maximize points but the colored arrows really help and I have a rough idea.

MBr getting old fast is a big worry. But honestly, TZ is old but still fun as long as I have the other games. If I only had TZ, it would probably have to leave at this point. I did get to Monster Bash mode at the arcade. How much more is it to get Monsters of Rock?

Like I said, I have not seen End of the Line in Met yet, got 3 of the 4 CIU but that is as far as I have ever got. I suppose that I could probably be more strategic to get all the way.. maybe.

#37 5 years ago
Quoted from kcZ:

e. How much more is it to get Monsters of Rock?

Not much at all.... you just complete each character. It really is simple, there are no missed shots that punish you.

Getting to Lymans Lament is the real challenge....

#38 5 years ago

I like every shot in MB.

So.... get a JJ Pirates. Designed by a native Wisconsian. It will be the last to get old.

#39 5 years ago

Can't go wrong with either one.

Let the kids choose.... Make it fun for them.

#40 5 years ago
Quoted from NY2Colorado:

Can't go wrong with either one.
Let the kids choose.... Make it fun for them.

At this point, he'd choose MBr. He's kinda funny with what he likes... played the hell out of Met for a long time then stopped playing it and sporadically played TZ while I played Met, then he just watched me play Met but tonight we finally had some 2 player games on both. He's funny like that, rather unpredictable. I think the humor plays into Met a bit for him, he likes Sparky getting fried and cussing sometimes (I tell him to not tell Mom). MBr has some humorous callouts and animations. Probably not too much humor in Xmen tho.

#41 5 years ago

The MBr with the new, larger dot matrix is stunning and a game changer.

Almost seems to be a no brainer, any negatives about code with the machine won't effect your son.

#42 5 years ago
Quoted from NY2Colorado:

The MBr with the new, larger dot matrix is stunning and a game changer.
Almost seems to be a no brainer, any negatives about code with the machine won't effect your son.

Game changer? How?

#43 5 years ago

I really think both games would be a great addition to the game room. The wife is talking about expanding the game room which then means I'll "have" to buy more games. Right now 5 is the absolute most I can have. Maybe I sell either JP or SBM and end up with both these games. I do actually want both... not just looking for people to bash on one or the other. MBr has bling and fun gameplay, Xmen LE has a ton to do. I may end up with both at some point. Really leaning toward doing the MGC show special with a MBr SE at this point. I think both will hold there current values (5500ish for Xmen LE and 6800ish for MBr SE) so I could really go either way.

#44 5 years ago
Quoted from bigd1979:

Game changer? How?

That screen is way cooler than what Stern did... IMHO.

#45 5 years ago
Quoted from kcZ:

I like dots more in that they are more artistic.

I'm with you there. I have a ColorDMD in my XM, it's got a great dots package, and the color is really well done.

#46 5 years ago
Quoted from kcZ:

That screen is way cooler than what Stern did... IMHO.

Its nice but I'm totally fine with color dmds. Also jjp screen is awesome and stern is getting better imo.. bat 66 and munsters are pretty well done.

#47 5 years ago
Quoted from ralphwiggum:

Solid advice!

#48 5 years ago

I'll for sure hit you up at MGC.

#49 5 years ago
Quoted from kcZ:

I really think both games would be a great addition to the game room. The wife is talking about expanding the game room which then means I'll "have" to buy more games. Right now 5 is the absolute most I can have. Maybe I sell either JP or SBM and end up with both these games. I do actually want both... not just looking for people to bash on one or the other. MBr has bling and fun gameplay, Xmen LE has a ton to do. I may end up with both at some point. Really leaning toward doing the MGC show special with a MBr SE at this point. I think both will hold there current values (5500ish for Xmen LE and 6800ish for MBr SE) so I could really go either way.

Id definitely grab a xmenle now if u can.. mbr se will be available for a long time . Xmen will stay same price but mbr will go down imo especially when u can get a nib with warranty for 7k ish. Id expect used ones to settle in low 6's.

#50 5 years ago
Quoted from bigd1979:

Id definitely grab a xmenle now if u can.. mbr se will be available for a long time . Xmen will stay same price but mbr will go down imo especially when u can get a nib with warranty for 7k ish. Id expect used ones to settle in low 6's.

Using the MGC show special, I'm at 6800 for a MBr SE. I think 5500 for X-Men and 6800 for MBr SE is about where the two will remain for awhile. I consider these two equal cost with this backward logic... Lol

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 12.95
$ 73.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Pixels Arcade Games

10,500 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Seaside, OR
$ 79.50
$ 49.99
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lighted Pinball Mods

Trade
Machine - For Trade
Coos Bay, OR
$ 14.95
Playfield - Decals
Pinball Pimp

$ 79.99
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lermods

$ 45.00
Cabinet - Toppers
Pinball Haus

$ 9.95
$ 25.00
Cabinet - Decals
Pinball Haus

$ 109.99
Lighting - Led
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 12.95
$ 43.99
Lighting - Interactive
Lee's Parts

$ 12.50
Cabinet - Decals
Pinball Haus

$ 19.95
Lighting - Led
Mitchell Lighting

$ 14.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ULEKstore

$ 399.00
Cabinet - Decals
Mircoplayfields

$ 125.00
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Super Skill Shot Shop

$ 159.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Sparky Pinball

$ 31.99
Lighting - Interactive
Lee's Parts

$ 12.95
9,500 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Martinez, CA
$ 9.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 225.00
Lighting - Interactive
Professor Pinball

$ 24.00
Various Novelties
Pinball Photos LLC

$ 1,059.00
Machine - For Sale
Hermosa Beach, CA
Great pinball charity
Pinball Edu
There are 82 posts in this topic. You are on page 1 of 2.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/mbr-or-xmen-le-next-pin and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.