(Topic ID: 265889)

MBr LE or New Elvira

By littleoak

3 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic poll

“MBr LE or New Elvira ”

• Monster Bash 41 votes
      36%
    • Elvira 74 votes
      64%

(115 votes)

#1 3 years ago

I’m trying to decide between a Monster Bash LE NIB or and Elvira NIB. Any thoughts to help me decide?

#2 3 years ago

Monster Bash LE

LTG : )

#3 3 years ago

Mb all day.

#5 3 years ago

So what's the deal, I thought HOH was getting some love these days?

#6 3 years ago

I went through the same debate. MB is an all-time classic for a reason.

But with MB, you know what’s going to happen when you hit the start button. With Elvira, the game is evolving. It’s a new experience. Updates are dropping all the time.

If you want tried and true, go MB. Can’t go wrong. But if you want to take the journey, go Elvira. With Lyman as your captain, you’re guaranteed a fun ride.

#7 3 years ago

I have both, Ehoh has more to it.

#8 3 years ago

MBLE all day long - it has it all, topper beautiful play field and clearcoat plus lots going on. Its not as simple as people say. Now mind you Elvira is fun. You should get both and help get the economy moving again

#9 3 years ago

I agree with everyone that Monster Bash is a classic. It’s an amazing pin and tons of fun. However, it isn’t as deep as Elvira is or will be. It also tends to be on the easy side for many players, so it may not offer as much as a challenge for as long as Elvira may. Also, Lyman Sheets is coding Elvira so that is another thing it has going for it. I’d get Elvira, but that’s me

#10 3 years ago

I have both - the playfield layouts are almost identical. MB is probably my favorite theme ever. Both play fast. Code is WAAAAAAY deeper on Elvira. It's not even close. Lyman coded both... obviously you can't lose either way. Elvira is far ahead in terms of code, and is only halfway done.

I am still shocked at how few mods there are for MB. Has always been a disappointment

But if you are definitely looking for a NIB game, get Elvira. There are tons of used MB out there you can find

#11 3 years ago

I have both.

And while I think the House on Elvira is an amazing mech/toy, and the same goes for the crypt(the vuk is a big MEH), Monster Bash wins with the toys and mechs. Frankie, and Drac are just amazing toys. The others like the Bride and Creature, and Mummy are nice and have minor integration. Igor doesn't have any integration and is just a sculpt, but a nice looking one, and one that adds to the theme.
    So on toys MB wins.

Now for callouts... This is a toughie. Elvira has some great callouts, and some of hte most varied callouts to date. However, they don't all have the kind of feelings or energy that MB has. So while its limited all of MB are classic. Its really a tossup there.

Multiballs. Right now I think MB are coded better. But, each update makes the Elvira mb a bit better. But, you have Frankie, Mosh Pit(which is super fun, love the rules to it, great add a ball mb), Monster Bash, and Monster's of Rock. Elivra has Junk, Garage(which has 3 different ones), House Party, Gappa(a couple of different mbs)... And I think that's it for now. And I think overtime these are going to get a lot better.

As for the layout. While I like the layout for EHOH, I think MB has more energy to it.

I'm not dumping on EHOH, it might appear that I am always siding with MB over the new Elvira, and that's mostly because the game isn't finished yet.
    However, with EHOH still not being done, it still has more to do and is a deeper game than MB. It has right now I think 8 haunts to choose from. And there are more being added slowly, but surely.

I think both are amazing games, and some of the best looking pinball machines out there. However, owning a Monster Bash, its a game that can grow a bit old in your collection. I'm not saying its not fun to play. It's always a blast to play. And I can play it for hours on end. But, don't play it as much as I play my Iron Maiden or my Elvira House of Horrors. That is just a fact. If I could only have one. I would pick EHOH. But, that is just me. Elvira checks a lot of the boxes that I personally like for a pinball machine. Monster Bash checks most of those too, but Elvira wins a bit more on sex appeal, and the teenager in me loves his sex appeal. And the videos in Elvira are just amazing.

#12 3 years ago

Elvira is better.

I have both.

#13 3 years ago

Big MB fan here but Elvira wins.

#14 3 years ago

Based on your collection, I would go hoh. You already have a few older games, the depth of elviria game would be different than the older games.

If you only play casually I would go with mbr.

#15 3 years ago

I would go with Elvira so you can have an LCD game.

#16 3 years ago

I'm really stunned by the love for Elvira vs an all time classic. The theme was an instant pass for me when Stern announced it but I'm glad people like it this much. I was surprised that SpookyCharlie owns it and said how much he liked it on The Super Awesome Pinball Show Podcast.

Hopefully I can find one to play in 2021 when we can leave our houses again.

#17 3 years ago
    Quoted from DylanFan71:

I'm really stunned by the love for Elvira vs an all time classic. The theme was an instant pass for me when Stern announced it but I'm glad people like it this much. I was surprised that spookycharlie owns it and said how much he liked it on The Super Awesome Pinball Show Podcast.

Pinside will always pick new sterns over classics simply for code. The top 100 is and has always been a joke.

#18 3 years ago

MB was great in its day.

It's just not that day anymore.

#19 3 years ago
    Quoted from DylanFan71:

I'm really stunned by the love for Elvira vs an all time classic. The theme was an instant pass for me when Stern announced it but I'm glad people like it this much. I was surprised that spookycharlie owns it and said how much he liked it on The Super Awesome Pinball Show Podcast.

It is REALLY good. I was super disappointed in the initial release, and that stream was really not great... But WOW did Lyman come through with subsequent updates. MB is a game that will never leave the house - and Elvira 3 is fast getting to that point. It's got SO much in there. The theme integration is absolutely killer. On par wth Hobbit IMO. But you have to like the silly horror theme to appreciate it. Which I do

#20 3 years ago
    Quoted from DylanFan71:

i am not an elvira fan, but I do like ehoh a lot because of how it shoots and variability in the rules.

#21 3 years ago

Thank you everyone for the input, I really appreciate it.

#22 3 years ago

MB felt like the peak of 90's pinball when it came to theme, toys, immersion. But I agree that in 2020, there are more immersive and deeper games. I sold my MBr for JP Premium and I am loving it.

#23 3 years ago
    Quoted from DylanFan71:

Well, keep in mind if someone has purchased Elvira at the higher price point they probably really love the theme and Lyman is great at delivering theme integration with the LCD screen so there's going to be a higher degree of satisfaction with the game than average. It's the same with BM66 for me -- I loved the theme and Lyman delivered one of the best theme integrations out there so I'm going to probably have an a higher opinion of the game than the average person (thanks Lyman!).

So I'd go ehoh if you like campy sci-fi/horror movies (mystery series 3000, etc) and of course Elvira, however if the theme doesn't call to you I'd take the high praise it's receiving currently with a grain of salt.

#24 3 years ago

Mb is a 90s classic Elvira is in my opinion going to be a classic. I’ve played a ton of mb it’s a great game. I love it. You can’t go wrong. But I would get a Elvira. For what it’s got right now in the code it is worth it. It’s only going to get deeper. And it’s deep enough. When he put in all the lock balls on freak fryer it’s just great.

Gappa angry!

#25 3 years ago

Depends on your full collection. If you don’t have any,...my opinion is ,you will bore quick with either stand alone.

#26 3 years ago

Having never played HOH, which is better/more fun? HOH, Scared Stiff, or EATPM? I've owned both SS and EATPM and love them both. Will HOH hold its own against those?

#27 3 years ago
    Quoted from sbmania:

Having never played HOH, which is better/more fun? HOH, Scared Stiff, or EATPM? I've owned both SS and EATPM and love them both. Will HOH hold its own against those?

I think EATPM has a better layout and is more fun to shoot, but lacks depth. EHOH is IMO superior to Scared Stiff, which is far too easy. Fun too, but I don't think you'd never play SS if you have EHOH - they are fairly similar in many respects.

EHOH is the only game my wife has *specifically* come downstairs just to play

#28 3 years ago
    Quoted from RTS:

MB was great in its day.

Yeah i agree. I love those 90's pins. Thats what I remember playing as a yute in the arcades, I've owned many of them including MB which is a classic but it didn't last to long. I'd go with Elvira.

#29 3 years ago
    Quoted from RTS:

MB was great in its day.

Agree, I had never play it before I bought it so it was like new to me.

It I will not lie it gets boring.

#30 3 years ago
    Quoted from sbmania:

Will HOH hold its own against those?

Day one HOH was better than those two.

#31 3 years ago
    Quoted from littleoak:

Thank you everyone for the input, I really appreciate it.

We’re not done giving it. Hoping for a big impact from the turret once it is programmed, I’d pick EHOH. Also selecting EHOH for the art package.

#32 3 years ago

Thanks again for all the info. After thinking it over and reading all the great feedback I decided to go with both games. Play both and maybe sell one down the road.

#33 3 years ago

Great choice. I got mb se in November, not tired of it at all. Different than the Stern's. I put the difficulty up on Dracula to make it tougher to get to the monsters rock.

#34 3 years ago
    Quoted from littleoak:

Thanks again for all the info. After thinking it over and reading all the great feedback I decided to go with both games. Play both and maybe sell one down the road.

This wins my vote for best Pinside post ever.

#35 3 years ago
    Quoted from littleoak:

I decided to go with both games

Well that's always the best decision.

#36 3 years ago

Even though my ankle is hurting me, I decided to play just one game of Monster Bash and boy what a game. I set a new Grand Champion on my machine. Wish all games could be like that one. Had a great Monster Bash and a decent Monsters of Rock.

And really what an amazing game Monster Bash is. I still prefer EHOH, but MB is certainly a great game.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/mbr-le-or-new-elvira-?hl=krupps4 and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.