Topic Stats

• 19 posts
  • 12 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 6 years ago by cooked71
  • No one calls this topic a favorite

You

Linked Games

#1 6 years ago

The purpose of this thread is to discuss the downsides of the original Monster Bash rule set and, more importantly, what changes could be made to the rule set to greatly improve the game for home use and for competition.

After the monster post this week...

Quoted from jkashani:

Planetary Pinball to remake Monster Bash, Theatre of Magic, Big Bang Bar, Cactus Canyon and maybe others.

https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/monster-bash-remake-this-game-is-scary-good-chicago-gaming-company/page/2#post-4127913

... and with 12 monster bashes currently on sale, it's likely that MBr is a few months away.

They have access to the code and have announced that they can do code updates for MB so please let's have a meaningful and serious discussion here of what to change in the code. Note, please be realistic here as major rewrites are unlikely to occur. More likely is addressing imbalances, scoring tweaks, scaling up difficulty as many say game is too easy, addition of a wizard mode, competitive issues etc.

Q1: What downsides does MB code have currently?

Q2: What would you change/add to the code?

We might only have one chance to let them know and if changes are done right, might greatly improve the game and therefore demand/sales of MBr!

#2 6 years ago

MB code is complete. All modes and inserts work and it has a mini-wizard mode (Monster Bash) and a wizard mode (Monsters of Rock) plus a special mode (Lyman's Lament). Some people aren't satisfied with the depth of code on any game from the nineties and want deeper code like some more recent games.

#3 6 years ago

Well, you started the thread, what are your suggestions for changes?

#4 6 years ago

Could really use a skillshot like AFM

#5 6 years ago
Quoted from littlecammi:

MB code is complete. All modes and inserts work and it has a mini-wizard mode (Monster Bash) and a wizard mode (Monsters of Rock) plus a special mode (Lyman's Lament). Some people aren't satisfied with the depth of code on any game from the nineties and want deeper code like some more recent games.

Not saying that MB isn't complete. Just asking what "pinball 2018" improvements could be made to the code for MBr. I've heard for years from many that it's too easy for example so gameplay could be extended a bit.

I'm sure after 20yrs since release there must be some who have some suggestions for improvements. I have only played a few times so looking for expert opinions from those who know the game inside out or from competitive players. It's a complicated question right now since current owners would want no changes to be made at least until they sell their own MB. Unless of course new code could also update original games.

#6 6 years ago
Quoted from DngrWillRobinson:

Well, you started the thread, what are your suggestions for changes?

Only played a few times but remember getting to Monsters of Rock so did have the thought that it was a bit on easy side (as I'm not a good player). These questions are best answered by those who have played the game extensively for 10 or more years so that's why I asked.

#7 6 years ago

I've played this hundreds of times and its easy, but not too easy. Its fun the way it is, leave it alone. I think AFM is almost as easy, but I wouldn't change a thing in either game. Every game doesn't have to be nails hard.

#8 6 years ago
Quoted from spinal:

The purpose of this thread is to discuss the downsides of the original Monster Bash rule set and, more importantly, what changes could be made to the rule set to greatly improve the game for home use and for competition.
After the monster post this week...

https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/monster-bash-remake-this-game-is-scary-good-chicago-gaming-company/page/2#post-4127913
... and with 12 monster bashes currently on sale, it's likely that MBr is a few months away.
They have access to the code and have announced that they can do code updates for MB so please let's have a meaningful and serious discussion here of what to change in the code. Note, please be realistic here as major rewrites are unlikely to occur. More likely is addressing imbalances, scoring tweaks, scaling up difficulty as many say game is too easy, addition of a wizard mode, competitive issues etc.
Q1: What downsides does MB code have currently?
Q2: What would you change/add to the code?
We might only have one chance to let them know and if changes are done right, might greatly improve the game and therefore demand/sales of MBr!

Maybe just add an encore to Monsters of Rock.... so code is the same but there is an extra mode right at the end.

#9 6 years ago

Great thread... Constructive criticism is always good. Everyone should keep an open mind. Any ideas on an interactive topper? That was a huge improvement on AFMRLE.

#10 6 years ago

Think it should be left the way it is. Already has a mini & wizard mode.

#11 6 years ago
Quoted from ASOA:

Great thread... Constructive criticism is always good. Everyone should keep an open mind. Any ideas on an interactive topper? That was a huge improvement on AFMRLE.

For a topper I'm imagining something with flashers to simulate lightning as you see Frankenstein rise up as the main topper feature (lots of other cool lighting effects throughout game on topper too). Another idea is something rock and roll with drac playing guitar and moving across topper. Hah or maybe both. Agree, AFMr topper is fantastic!

What if Frankenstein rose up from one side (side view) and walked back and forth (arms up) on the top of the topper! Or same idea for drac and guitar. Or have same hardware somehow able to switch between both!

#12 6 years ago

I’ve with other folks here, this game is a joy to play as it is now. If someone put a gun to my head and said I had to change something, really the only thing would be adding a few Easter eggs to the scoop. Like having Gomez or Elvira appear at one of the locations.

I really can’t think of another game that captures the joy of pinball for me like this one does whenever I step up to it.

#13 6 years ago

Interesting idea, but there's no chance theyre updating code on MB, or any other Bally/Williams remake except Cactus Canyon. Cactus Canyon is a basket case because it was left substantially unfinished by Williams. Looking forward to the other upgrades however.

#14 6 years ago

Why no chance they would update MB code for MBr? Some changes would give yet another reason to buy and they can always have original code as an option for purists. I think it would be a good decision to do something cool and make it deeper for those who say it's too easy.

#15 6 years ago
Quoted from spinal:

Only played a few times but remember getting to Monsters of Rock so did have the thought that it was a bit on easy side (as I'm not a good player). These questions are best answered by those who have played the game extensively for 10 or more years so that's why I asked.

Fair enough. I also don’t have a lot of experience playing one but I do like the game and expect to get one when they are remade.

#16 6 years ago
Quoted from spinal:

It being easy isn't worth mucking around in the code. Change your setup to make it play a bit harder, see if there are config options to increase the difficulty.

#17 6 years ago
Quoted from spinal:

Only played a few times but remember getting to Monsters of Rock so did have the thought that it was a bit on easy side (as I'm not a good player).

Well as I've been saying forever people need to get over a wizard mode meaning "they beat the game."
Wow you got Monsters of Rock, big whoop do it again smart ass!

#18 6 years ago

#1 thing would be to make the factory settings HARDER. That’s partly why the game gets that rep of being too easy

#19 6 years ago
Quoted from spinal:

Why no chance they would update MB code for MBr? Some changes would give yet another reason to buy and they can always have original code as an option for purists. I think it would be a good decision to do something cool and make it deeper for those who say it's too easy.

Not disagreeing that it's a good idea, just that MBR will sell well without having to do much at all. If PPS/CGC changed to the big display and also a kickass topper like AFMR, that's going to be more than enough to keep everyone happy.

Cactus Canyon on the other hand is really quite a crap game without the code finished.

Promoted items from the Pinside Marketplace
Machine - For Sale
Brighton, CO
$ 12.00
Tools
Nezzy's Pinball Prints
Tools
$ 15.00
Cabinet Parts
Mödley Crüe
Cabinet parts
$ 45.95
Eproms
Pinballrom
Eproms
Cabinet - Other
NO GOUGE PINBALL™
Other
Machine - For Sale
Bristow, VA
$ 79.99
Cabinet - Armor And Blades
PinGraffix Pinside Shop
Armor and blades
$ 27.50
Boards
Pinball Haus
Boards
$ 299.99
Cabinet - Other
PinGraffix Pinside Shop
Other
$ 38.00
Various Novelties
Pinball Photos LLC
Various novelties
Flipper Parts
Precision Pinball prod.
Flipper parts
$ 65.00
Boards
Pinball Haus
Boards
$ 18.95
Eproms
Pinballrom
Eproms
Machine - For Sale
Lake Elsinore, CA
Lighting - Led
Pin Stadium Pinball Mods
Led
Eproms
Matt's Basement Arcade
Eproms
$ 5.00
Playfield - Protection
UpKick Pinball
Protection
$ 40.00
Gameroom - Decorations
The Flipper Room
Decorations
$ 9.99
Eproms
Matt's Basement Arcade
Eproms
£ 55.00
Cabinet - Decals
Sillyoldelf Mods
Decals
$ 30.00
Playfield - Other
YouBentMyWookie
Other
$ 100.00
Gameroom - Decorations
The Flipper Room
Decorations
Machine - For Sale
Livermore, CA
$ 48.00
Lighting - Backbox
Arcade Upkeep
Backbox
Lighting - Led
Pin Stadium Pinball Mods
Led
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Daddio's 3D Printed Mods
Toys/Add-ons
$ 95.00
Cabinet - Sound/Speakers
Pinball Mod Co.
Sound/Speakers

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/mbr-code-change-suggestion-thread and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.