Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 53 posts
  • 35 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 10 years ago by Riffbear
  • Topic is favorited by 1 Pinsider

You

Linked Games

There are 53 posts in this topic. You are on page 1 of 2.
#1 11 years ago

HI all,
I can't decide on my next pin, a nice MB has come up (quite pricey) but understandable, a nice TOM for a great price and a Spiderman Red.

Which would I get more fun out of?

TOM looks to be loads of fun but have never played it enough.
Spiderman seems allot like AFM.
And Mb , well its MB!

I like flow..
Nothing too serious.

#2 11 years ago

SM all day, everyday.

#3 11 years ago

ALL!

http://m.youtube.com/#/watch?v=r4Bm5aHeJOo&desktop_uri=%2Fwatch%3Fv%3Dr4Bm5aHeJOo

If you have any cash left over I recommend the Phase Plasma Rifle in the 40 Watt range

#4 11 years ago

SM! fantastic game.

#5 11 years ago

To me Spidey is ALOT like AFM...I love MB, it's my alltime favorite......top of the mountain, tip of the iceberg. Depending on your funds...The TOM well priced is a great move you will never be stuck with...MB's seem to be up forsale less and less...I just ain't a fan of Spidey, just not my cup of tea

#6 11 years ago

SM easily.

#7 11 years ago

Monster Bash!!!

#8 11 years ago

Sm has more staying power. Owned 2 of the three and had ample time with Tom to rank them as follows:

Sm
Mb
Tom

And that's saying something about sm cause for the most part I've always been a bigger fan of Williams/Bally over stern. although nowadays I have more sterns than Williams...that will change soon though.

#9 11 years ago

ToM

#10 11 years ago
Quoted from Riffbear:

I like flow..
Nothing too serious.

Then a ToM at the right price just might be the one for you. As a bonus, it has the best light show of just about any game--stunning at night--even better with a few led's tossed in!

#11 11 years ago

I own a SM (RED) and TOM and have played MB as well. You can buy a nice TOM and SM for the price of a MB and for me 2 pins are better then 1 in this case.

However, I would rate them SM, MB and TOM. However, TOM is a great pin in a large collection as it is beautiful to look at and is a lot of fun to play. However, it can get boring and SM in my opinion is more challenging.

If you can only fit one BUY SM. If you only want to spend around $10K but have the room I would buy both SM and TOM which you can easily get 2 really nice ones for under $10K and even get a SM with shaker and still be under $10K rather then buy a MB which normally seem to go for about $9K or a little more.

Good luck to you !!!

#12 11 years ago

I have a spider man for sale ! What's it worth ? I'm new here !

#13 11 years ago

Paid $5K for a very lightly used HUO SM recently.

#14 11 years ago

That's what heard they they range from 4500 to 7000!

#15 11 years ago

SM, TOM in HUO condition cost equals MB same contition. All great fun. I own the first two, played MB many times, just can't justify current cost.

#17 11 years ago

If you like flow and nothing too serious.. Tom or MB, whichever is in the best price/quality.

MB has more depth and challenge than TOM, but TOM really has excellent flow.

#18 11 years ago

ToM....I really enjoy playing it. SM is good, but it wasn't a keeper for me.

#19 11 years ago

Thanks to all for their opinions muchly appreciated.
I will report back in a few days with my decision.

Cursed, Your opinion doesn't count. You compliment any hole! *wink*

#20 11 years ago

Having all three for a long time...it's a real tough call between SM and MB for me. Just a side note...even though SM has the 3 bank target...and 'bouncing green dude' it's NOTHING like AFM (got that one too).

Here's my take on the 3..

SM is a game I go to the basement to play...long(er) ball times and super intense with awesome stacking rules. It's a fairly deep game and it takes a bit to really figure out the rules. The HUGE downside for me with this game is the DMD animation...it blows!

MB is the game in the basement that get played on a whim. Let's say I need my drill from the basement for a project. I'll look over and say..humm...lets give MB a whirl real quick. It's (IMHO) the 'funnest' of the 3 games you listed. It has software your average player can get through. It's kinda nice walking up to a game an knowing you have a illegitimate shot at seeing the wizard mode more than once a year. And for the top players...the 6 MB stack is something I haven't be able to do...or seen done.

ToM is the pretties of the group (barely edging out MB). The flow on this game is incredible. There's a lot of little gizmos on this guy that does make it fun to play (ball save magnet, ramp changing magnet, vanishing ball, trap door, tiger saw mod). The software seems a little tougher to get through than MB but not much. Shooting the trunk may or may not get monotonous after a while

I guess it depends on what kinda of player you are. If you're a hard core pinballer that wants deep rules and a channeling game? Or are you kinda new to the hobby and want a 'fun' game that the wizard mode is generally obtainable?

Here's how I would list them..this list take into account the value of the games also (SM=$5-5500, ToM $4-4500, MB = $7500+)

Newer hobbiest
ToM: Great game to start with... but might get a bit easy for the tops players. Lots of neat 'stuff'
MB: If you can afford it..hell yeah. Pretty much the same description as ToM
SM: Still can't go wrong with this guy

Veteran Pinballer:
SM: Challenging software even for top players
MB: Top players eat this guy up..but there's still the 6 MB stacking that's damn tough to pull off.
ToM: Seems a lot people start with this game. As they become better players it's usually moved out for something different. I still have mine after about 14 years. That should tell ya what kind of player I am

#21 11 years ago
Quoted from Monster_Bash:

Having all three for a long time...it's a real tough call between SM and MB for me. Just a side note...even though SM has the 3 bank target...and 'bouncing green dude' it's NOTHING like AFM (got that one too).
Here's my take on the 3..
SM is a game I go to the basement to play...long(er) ball times and super intense with awesome stacking rules. It's a fairly deep game and it takes a bit to really figure out the rules. The HUGE downside for me with this game is the DMD animation...it blows!
MB is the game in the basement that get played on a whim. Let's say I need my drill from the basement for a project. I'll look over and say..humm...lets give MB a whirl real quick. It's (IMHO) the 'funnest' of the 3 games you listed. It has software your average player can get through. It's kinda nice walking up to a game an knowing you have a illegitimate shot at seeing the wizard mode more than once a year. And for the top players...the 6 MB stack is something I haven't be able to do...or seen done.
ToM is the pretties of the group (barely edging out MB). The flow on this game is incredible. There's a lot of little gizmos on this guy that does make it fun to play (ball save magnet, ramp changing magnet, vanishing ball, trap door, tiger saw mod). The software seems a little tougher to get through than MB but not much. Shooting the trunk may or may not get monotonous after a while
I guess it depends on what kinda of player you are. If you're a hard core pinballer that wants deep rules and a channeling game? Or are you kinda new to the hobby and want a 'fun' game that the wizard mode is generally obtainable?
Here's how I would list them..this list take into account the value of the games also (SM=$5-5500, ToM $4-4500, MB = $7500+)
Newer hobbiest
ToM: Great game to start with... but might get a bit easy for the tops players. Lots of neat 'stuff'
MB: If you can afford it..hell yeah. Pretty much the same description as ToM
SM: Still can't go wrong with this guy
Veteran Pinballer:
SM: Challenging software even for top players
MB: Top players eat this guy up..but there's still the 6 MB stacking that's damn tough to pull off.
ToM: Seems a lot people start with this game. As they become better players it's usually moved out for something different. I still have mine after about 14 years. That should tell ya what kind of player I am

Thanks for that!

Ok in my time of pinball playing, I have owned IJ, TZ, TSPP, WH20, Taxi, AFM, GNR ACDC BIB LE and quite a few others... Out of the mentioned machines, I could honestly say that I spent most of my time on wh20. And i mean hours and hours more than the others. I like flow and fun. I did enjoy TSPP which is very deep with stacking modes etc but also found it very frustrating at times. So I guess I lean more towards the "fun flow" kinda game... It's looking like TOM would be ideal but have also had reports that after 2 weeks it can become "Too easy" and as you said, TOM tends to be moved on. I guess I'm just going to have to play these machines for a good whole session and then decide whats best for me. Unfortunately I cannot play this particular MB as it's interstate. The MB has a brand new PF installed with new plastics and toys, New decals. But is in the 8's price range. See how I go. Again thanks for your informative input.

#23 11 years ago

So let me mess ya up even more..
I don't think SM is nearly a frustrating as TSPP...if you're looking there. It is a different type of game when compare to MB and ToM

I also have a WH2O...I have gotten to vacation jackpot WAY more than the Grand Finale in ToM. And I mean way more.

To be honest any of those 3 are awesome games

This may sound crazy but a MB with a new PF, decal and plastics at 8k+ seems like a REAL good price

Quoted from Riffbear:

Thanks for that!
Ok in my time of pinball playing, I have owned IJ, TZ, TSPP, WH20, Taxi, AFM, GNR ACDC BIB LE and quite a few others... Out of the mentioned machines, I could honestly say that I spent most of my time on wh20. And i mean hours and hours more than the others. I like flow and fun. I did enjoy TSPP which is very deep with stacking modes etc but also found it very frustrating at times. So I guess I lean more towards the "fun flow" kinda game... It's looking like TOM would be ideal but have also had reports that after 2 weeks it can become "Too easy" and as you said, TOM tends to be moved on. I guess I'm just going to have to play these machines for a good whole and then decide whats best for me. Unfortunately I cannot play this particular MB as it's interstate. The MB has a brand new PF installed with new plastics and toys, New decals. But is in the 8's price range. See how I go. Again thanks for your informative input.

#24 11 years ago

sm/mb/tom

#25 11 years ago

I own all three. They all have great flow. But Spider-Man is the best of the three in my opinion. It's it can't be beat. Three ramps, three flippers, best rule stacking in pinball.

#26 11 years ago

I just got SM, and had never played it before we bought it. (Got a good deal on a restoration project, wasn't looking but couldn't pass it up.) Husband had wanted a TOM because that was the first pin he had really every played, yet we've only played it on the Pinball Arcade virtually. I like MB, but also had only played it virtually. We were actively looking for a TOM when we fell into the SM deal, and I'm happy we found SM instead. TOM is a great game, but I've heard many a tale about it getting old fast, and we can still play the virtual versions of TOM and MB. (I know, I know, it's not the same, but I don't have the $ or space for all the real ones I want, so at least it's something.)

At first, I had no clue how to play SM. It felt a little RFM to me (because I have RFM, have never played a real AFM so can't compare) as far as just shooting up the middle to hit Sandman. I thought it was gorgeous and it has super flow, but I wasn't impressed honestly. Then I got on the boards and started reading people's strageties to get higher scores. Then I found the Bowen PAPA video on Youtube showing how to play, and learned what to do and that there were deeper strategies than just hitting the bad guys and starting the hero modes. I'm not a great player by any means, so it's easy enough for me (or guests who don't know how to play at all) to do a quick game to just hit the bad guys and watch them move around, or you can go deeper and stack modes, stack multiballs, assign multipliers to certain shots, and try to rack up big points/rewards. I went from 'meh' to "This game rocks!" within the last few days of playing it, and husband is very content with it and has no desire to hunt down a TOM now. (Of course if we had unlimited funds, that would be another story...)

Good luck on whatever you choose! You probably can't go too wrong with any of them.

#27 11 years ago
Quoted from blondetall:

I just got SM, and had never played it before we bought it. (Got a good deal on a restoration project, wasn't looking but couldn't pass it up.) Husband had wanted a TOM because that was the first pin he had really every played, yet we've only played it on the Pinball Arcade virtually. I like MB, but also had only played it virtually. We were actively looking for a TOM when we fell into the SM deal, and I'm happy we found SM instead. TOM is a great game, but I've heard many a tale about it getting old fast, and we can still play the virtual versions of TOM and MB. (I know, I know, it's not the same, but I don't have the $ or space for all the real ones I want, so at least it's something.)
At first, I had no clue how to play SM. It felt a little RFM to me (because I have RFM, have never played a real AFM so can't compare) as far as just shooting up the middle to hit Sandman. I thought it was gorgeous and it has super flow, but I wasn't impressed honestly. Then I got on the boards and started reading people's strageties to get higher scores. Then I found the Bowen PAPA video on Youtube showing how to play, and learned what to do and that there were deeper strategies than just hitting the bad guys and starting the hero modes. I'm not a great player by any means, so it's easy enough for me (or guests who don't know how to play at all) to do a quick game to just hit the bad guys and watch them move around, or you can go deeper and stack modes, stack multiballs, assign multipliers to certain shots, and try to rack up big points/rewards. I went from 'meh' to "This game rocks!" within the last few days of playing it, and husband is very content with it and has no desire to hunt down a TOM now. (Of course if we had unlimited funds, that would be another story...)
Good luck on whatever you choose! You probably can't go too wrong with any of them.

This. I love this paragraph. Thank you for giving a game you initially didn't like a real chance! So many people play games like 2-3 times, suck at it, say the game sucks and never come back to it. You can't judge a game without at least like 20 plays. Need to fully know the rules, modes etc. It truly dos help. I'm glad you got into SM.

On that note, I pick ToM. Finally picked one up after looking for one for pretty much ever. I'm clearly bias, but I don't care. Although, if someone said want my MB for your ToM, would I take it? Of course, but don't tell my ToM that.

#29 11 years ago

Got SM! Love it.

#30 11 years ago

If I won the lottery, I would get MB. Its my grail, but I have never owned it to find out if I would get tired of it at home. I have gotten to the wizards a couple of times on it so it can't be too hard. Still love it though.
ToM is pretty and fun at other peoples houses. But I think it is too easy for me to keep and it just doesn't hit my sweet spot like MB does.
I own an SM and still love it after 3 years. It ain't going nowhere. I have gotten super close to Super Hero a couple of times but no cigar.

#31 11 years ago

You chose well considering you said you like flow. Personally, I think SM has the best flow of any game ever made. Just one of the reasons why it will remain in my collection for as long as I care about pinball.

#32 11 years ago

Good choice. I owned all three, but only MB and SM stay.

#33 11 years ago

Thanks guys.. Its a brilliant game.

I would like to also get MB

#34 11 years ago

I owned all 3 and only ToM stayed!

#35 11 years ago

SM is a good choice, especially when you factor in price. Congrats!

#36 11 years ago
Quoted from sammiesguys:

SM is a good choice, especially when you factor in price. Congrats!

Cheers! Im very happy with mine, It is HUO and no wear at all anywhere.

#37 11 years ago

between SM and MB for me. I lean towards MB but I have put in only a handful of games on SM's latest code update. TOM is fun but stales quickly to me. Super fast flowing game with modes and all I just do not really get into the modes as much as other game like say IJ.

MB/SM/TOM(haha almost wrote TRON)

#38 11 years ago

Enjoy your SM and don't look back its that great. MB is right up there for me as well so I can see why someone would go that route. However, IMO TOM can't touch SM or MB not even he same ballpark. Just my opinion no offense intended to those that love TOM.

#39 11 years ago

Play all 3 then you decide

#40 11 years ago

My choice
Sm (1)
Mb (2) gets boring after year or so simple rules
Tom (3) I hate it people say it should burn to hell

#41 10 years ago

Still trying to get my head around the rules of SM. Great flow thats for sure.

#42 10 years ago

I have owned all 3 and my opinion is Spider-Man

#43 10 years ago
Quoted from Riffbear:

Still trying to get my head around the rules of SM. Great flow thats for sure.

If you have questions let us know many on here know the rules inside and out.

Quoted from blondetall:

I watched the PAPA tutorial video and learned quite a bit, and there's a thread here somewhere about strategy for getting the highest points.

Very good suggestion! Link Below:

http://pinball.org/videos/tutorials/spiderman-tutorial/

#44 10 years ago
Quoted from SealClubber:

I own an SM and still love it after 3 years. It ain't going nowhere. I have gotten super close to Super Hero a couple of times but no cigar.

ME too,Venom stopped me.

#45 10 years ago

Riffbear- I had a hard time finding the rules also. I watched the PAPA tutorial video and learned quite a bit, and there's a thread here somewhere about strategy for getting the highest points. The thing I do these days is shoot for the flashing white lanes to help start the Hero modes, because while doing that you usually hit the shots needed for the villans also. I believe that starting 2 modes on each of the 4 villans will get you to Battle Royale. I'm sure the guys here can help much much more, but maybe that's a start.

#46 10 years ago

Spider-Man, hands down.

#47 10 years ago

ToM is my *GRAIL*. It's the machine that got me hooked. But it's an easy game. It's a beautiful theme, but easy.

Spider Man is more challenging.

Monster Bash (for me) seems hard to keep a ball in play. The venue I play at probably has it set fast, but I've never gotten into the groove on it other than once. I know it's sought after as all the late model Williams machines are.

But I agree with the others that SM has the play.

#48 10 years ago
Quoted from blondetall:

Riffbear- I had a hard time finding the rules also. I watched the PAPA tutorial video and learned quite a bit, and there's a thread here somewhere about strategy for getting the highest points. The thing I do these days is shoot for the flashing white lanes to help start the Hero modes, because while doing that you usually hit the shots needed for the villans also. I believe that starting 2 modes on each of the 4 villans will get you to Battle Royale. I'm sure the guys here can help much much more, but maybe that's a start.

Ive been watching it and am learning quite a bit.
Again thanks to all.
I have another machine on its way

#49 10 years ago

Added this fully restored new PF baby today.
http://img28.imageshack.us/img28/469/img8179wz.jpg

#50 10 years ago

ToM is the clear winner

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 11.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ULEKstore

Machine - For Sale
Livermore, CA
Machine - For Sale
Lake Elsinore, CA
$ 399.00
Cabinet - Decals
Mircoplayfields

$ 30.00
Playfield - Other
YouBentMyWookie

$ 84.99
Playfield - Decals
FlyLand Designs

$ 47.99
Lighting - Interactive
Lee's Parts

$ 329.99
Lighting - Other
Lighted Pinball Mods

Gameroom - Decorations
Pinball Photos LLC

$ 29.99
Lighting - Interactive
Lee's Parts

$ 69.99
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 20.00
Playfield - Protection
Pinhead mods

€ 99.00
Lighting - Under Cabinet
Watssapen shop

$ 72.99
Lighting - Interactive
Lee's Parts

$ 1.00
Pinball Machine
Pinball Alley

Lighting - Led
Mitchell Lighting

$ 20.00
Cabinet - Other
Filament Printing

$ 5.00
Playfield - Decals
Pinball Fuzz

$ 79.99
Cabinet - Armor And Blades
PinGraffix Pinside Shop

Machine - For Sale
Bristow, VA
Cabinet - Other
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 30.00
Playfield - Other
YouBentMyWookie

$ 275.00
Lighting - Interactive
Professor Pinball

6,000 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Fairfield, CT
$ 29.50
Playfield - Plastics
Pinball Haus

€ 99.00
Lighting - Under Cabinet
Watssapen shop

There are 53 posts in this topic. You are on page 1 of 2.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/mb-sm-or-tom and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.