You

Linked Games

#1 10 years ago

Thanks for the help!

#2 10 years ago

Lloyd? He needs a Bat signal.

*deploys giant L signal into the night sky*

#3 10 years ago

This is standard switch matrix diagnosis. Use the switch edge test. While there, yank the switch row and col connectors off the mpu board, and use a jumper wire to jump row to col. (I believe pinwiki explains how to do this) See if only one switch activates in that case. If not, you have a board issue. If you cannot reproduce using the jumper wire then its a wiring issue. Next would be to start looking for bad or shorted diodes or diodes bent and touching the micro switch middle lug.

#4 10 years ago

Perform any work on it recently, replace a micro switch?

Might be transposed wires; diode possibly facing the wrong direction.

Give the micros a thorough visual inspection; double-check all previous work.

#5 10 years ago

just had this on my TOM, agree with Markmon, turned out diode was put in wrong direction Start with the easy things first (Wiring diodes) and graduate to what Markmon wrote. Eventually will find the problem

#6 10 years ago

Thanks for the advice guys! I'll be giving it a shot soon.

#7 10 years ago

This sounds really familiar...

http://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/mb-switch-problem

Turned out the Frank switch diode was bent on mine.

#8 10 years ago

Update, well it seems like flipping the diode and wires on Frank have stopped a bunch of issues, but I still have some.

1. Right inlane activates dracula letter.
2. Right flipper sticks up after 4-5 button presses.
3. Phantom flip doesnt work when activated, the lights don't even turn on (even though the lights work). Phantom optos work during test.
4. Only one ball during multiball, again opto test checks out ok.

#9 10 years ago

Seems like you have some switch matrix issues. Switch wired wrong, diode on backwards, a short to switch lugs, a short to switch wiring. Something like metal bits or parts stuck behind or on boards.

A little digging should get you gaining ground.

I'd start with switches on top of the playfield, like ones on ramps the balls can hit. then move below field.

If you look at the micro min switches, and the stand up targets. Same wiring on both. White wire goes there with black end of diode, green wire goes there, silver band end of diode goes there.

Don't worry about the various color stripes. Just the base colors. White and green.

And look for wires squished by assemblies, worn and shorting to moving parts, etc. etc.

A lot of work but an easy fix when you find it.

LTG ; )

#10 10 years ago

Thanks Lloyd. I sent you an email earlier. The videos I sent, well those problems no longer exist due to me flipping around the frank bash switch wires / diode. Now I have this other set of problems on hand. It's fun when you have a machine shipped to you and you don't have a clue what could be wrong with it.

I'll update this later on. I hope I get these worked out. The one ball multiball is a big concern.

#11 10 years ago

Are your balls magnetized ? ( assuming optos working on ball trough and no divots at bottom of ball trough )

LTG : )

#12 10 years ago

I don't think so, but I'll have to check to confirm. MB doesn't use magnets does it? I am using different balls from other games so its possible. Is there a way to demagnetized them if so?

#13 10 years ago
Quoted from rockotaco1:

MB doesn't use magnets does it?

And how did we make magnets before electricity ? By banging to hunks of steel together.

Demagnetizer, huge honkin soldering iron waved over them. Get new ones.

#14 10 years ago

I freaking love me some Lloyd. Multiball issue fixed! I put one of those plastic demagnetizer guides in the trough and bingo!

One more problem to not have to worry about. Thank you so much!

#15 10 years ago

Well, things are looking up, and down a little too. One of the gears on franks table needs to be replaced, $16 shipped for one little gear, crazy. Marco is great though, super fast shipping.

Flipper problem fixed with a new spring and light wrench adjustment, luckily it wasn't an electrical problem.

Pretty sure this is the last big problem to solve:

Phantom lanes will not light up after phantom is compete. Optos seems to work fine during test, so I'm not sure what the heck the problem could be.

#16 10 years ago
Quoted from rockotaco1:

Phantom lanes will not light up after phantom is compete. Optos seems to work fine during test, so I'm not sure what the heck the problem could be.

Phantom lanes by the flippers ? You have two switches each side, opto and eddy. Check them both.

#17 10 years ago

Thankfully someone else had this problem in 2005, and it is now FIXED! What a huge relief.

http://www.tomshardware.com/forum/62798-13-phantom-flip

I just had to play 3-5 games so the optos could relearn when to go off. Once they learned, tadaaa! Left phantom flip lit up, after a couple more games the right would light up too. Now they both function properly with no issues. Sooo happy right now.

Initial problems that I posted earlier did in fact stem back to diodes being wrong or being dead.

Right now the very last issues I'm having are with the frank switches, but once I get the new gear from Marco installed I'm confident I can iron out the final problem. I love this site. Thank you so much to everyone for all of your help. Lloyd, you are my hero. My stress level has gone to almost nothing now that these problems that have been keeping me up at night are now worked out.

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
Machine - For Sale
Brighton, CO
$ 45.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 9.99
Eproms
Matt's Basement Arcade

£ 55.00
Cabinet - Decals
Sillyoldelf Mods

$ 79.99
Cabinet - Armor And Blades
PinGraffix Pinside Shop

$ 72.99
Lighting - Interactive
Lee's Parts

Lighting - Led
Mitchell Lighting

$ 5.00
Playfield - Decals
Pinball Fuzz

$ 29.00
Gameroom - Decorations
Pinball Photos LLC

€ 99.00
Lighting - Under Cabinet
Watssapen shop

$ 1,059.00
Pinball Machine
Mircoplayfields

€ 99.00
Lighting - Under Cabinet
Watssapen shop

Machine - For Sale
Lake Elsinore, CA
$ 24.99
Playfield - Plastics
Pinhead mods

$ 75.00
Eproms
Matt's Basement Arcade

$ 299.99
Cabinet - Other
PinGraffix Pinside Shop

$ 399.00
Cabinet - Decals
Mircoplayfields

Machine - For Sale
Livermore, CA
$ 95.00
Cabinet - Sound/Speakers
Pinball Mod Co.

$ 45.99
Lighting - Interactive
Lee's Parts

$ 65.00
Boards
Pinball Haus

$ 18.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 1,059.00
Pinball Machine
Mircoplayfields

Machine - For Sale
Bristow, VA
Gameroom - Decorations
Pinball Photos LLC

$ 12.95
$ 30.00
Playfield - Other
YouBentMyWookie

$ 89.99
Lighting - Led
Lighted Pinball Mods

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/mb-help-please-outlane-switch-activates-slam-tilt-other-problems-as-well and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.