Topic Stats

• 11 posts
  • 8 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 4 years ago by lowepg
  • Topic is favorited by 4 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

One image has been uploaded to this topic. (View topic image gallery).

MB_Plasma_Balls.JPG

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider damonator.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#1 4 years ago

I haven't seen this done yet, so I wanted to give it a try:

MB_Plasma_Balls.JPG

These are small 12V Plasma Balls and I'm using a DKPinball 12V Fused Power Tap. They run continuously and I lowered the 906 socket height so that I could squeeze a comet 8SMD flex flasher below the plasma balls.

It looks cool as hell...EXCEPT....if you look closely at the picture, two of the SMDs on the flashers are continuously lit. The plasma ball is backfeeding current into the flashers! I knew that plasma balls feed tiny amounts of current (at a high voltage) into whatever touches the ball....but I didn't think it was enough to light 2 SMDs!

I turned the machine off after a minute or two as I didn't want to push my luck. I like the flexes under the balls, so I may try moving them out a bit and see if I can stop the backfeeding.

If anyone else has given this a try, let me know if you have had any long term issues...not sure if I'm comfortable leaving it as is....

#5 4 years ago
Quoted from mcc:

Looks awesome! Continuously, or triggered with the GI? Have you tried diodes to prevent the back feed?

It's continuous as it's just feeding off of the power tap. I unplugged the flashers entirely and the SMDs are still lighting up - so I guess that negates my theory about backfeed. Maybe the plasma balls are kicking out enough UV to make the phosphors in the flashers glow?

And another issue - after about 30 minutes being on, I detected a pretty strong smell. I at first thought it was the power tap overheating, but I switched them over to a separate 12v power supply and the smell remained. I figured out it's actually coming from the balls themselves - I guess these things can generate ozone by ionizing the air around them. Weird.

#8 4 years ago
Quoted from toyboy6:

Looks really good. At first I thought something looked way too open until I realized you took the photo without the figures installed.
I too wanted to do something like this but have never found the right "scale" balls - your samples look pretty good. PM me if you don't mind sharing where you got them. Please post back if you find any solutions to your problems as I'm sure many people would like to try this out. Good job.
Scott

Yea - I took the figures out to have them painted and I'm replacing the rubbers with Titan colored ones. The plasma balls aren't mounted in the picture above either - I was just placing them in their approximate spots to get an idea.

The plasma balls are on ebay here:

ebay.com link

Promoted items from the Pinside Marketplace
Boards
PCB Emporium
$ 59.00
Gameroom - Decorations
Pinball Sales
$ 279.95
Lighting - Led
Pin Stadium Pinball LEDs

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider damonator.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Hey there! Got a moment?

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run thanks to donations from our visitors? Please donate to Pinside, support the site and get anext to your username to show for it! Donate to Pinside