You

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

MB_Plasma_Balls.JPG
#1 8 years ago

I haven't seen this done yet, so I wanted to give it a try:

MB_Plasma_Balls.JPGMB_Plasma_Balls.JPG

These are small 12V Plasma Balls and I'm using a DKPinball 12V Fused Power Tap. They run continuously and I lowered the 906 socket height so that I could squeeze a comet 8SMD flex flasher below the plasma balls.

It looks cool as hell...EXCEPT....if you look closely at the picture, two of the SMDs on the flashers are continuously lit. The plasma ball is backfeeding current into the flashers! I knew that plasma balls feed tiny amounts of current (at a high voltage) into whatever touches the ball....but I didn't think it was enough to light 2 SMDs!

I turned the machine off after a minute or two as I didn't want to push my luck. I like the flexes under the balls, so I may try moving them out a bit and see if I can stop the backfeeding.

If anyone else has given this a try, let me know if you have had any long term issues...not sure if I'm comfortable leaving it as is....

#2 8 years ago

Looks awesome! Continuously, or triggered with the GI? Have you tried diodes to prevent the back feed?

#3 8 years ago

Just a WAG, but have you tried putting a non-conductive piece of clear material between the flasher and the ball? Like a small piece of anti-static bubble wrap?

#4 8 years ago

I'm not sure if I've seen this done before or not. I know quite a few people talked about doing it, but I'm glad someone managed to actually get it going. I plan to do it as well.

#5 8 years ago
Quoted from mcc:

Looks awesome! Continuously, or triggered with the GI? Have you tried diodes to prevent the back feed?

It's continuous as it's just feeding off of the power tap. I unplugged the flashers entirely and the SMDs are still lighting up - so I guess that negates my theory about backfeed. Maybe the plasma balls are kicking out enough UV to make the phosphors in the flashers glow?

And another issue - after about 30 minutes being on, I detected a pretty strong smell. I at first thought it was the power tap overheating, but I switched them over to a separate 12v power supply and the smell remained. I figured out it's actually coming from the balls themselves - I guess these things can generate ozone by ionizing the air around them. Weird.

#6 8 years ago

Looks great I have been toying with one over a year.
Issue is two fold. Plasma gets washed out if you use LEDs which is the trend.
Second the scale of the ball in most cases are off. I have been looking to have a strong 1.5 inch round ball and cant source one.
Excellent tie in for the theme.

#7 8 years ago

Looks really good. At first I thought something looked way too open until I realized you took the photo without the figures installed.

I too wanted to do something like this but have never found the right "scale" balls - your samples look pretty good. PM me if you don't mind sharing where you got them. Please post back if you find any solutions to your problems as I'm sure many people would like to try this out. Good job.

Scott

#8 8 years ago
Quoted from toyboy6:

Looks really good. At first I thought something looked way too open until I realized you took the photo without the figures installed.
I too wanted to do something like this but have never found the right "scale" balls - your samples look pretty good. PM me if you don't mind sharing where you got them. Please post back if you find any solutions to your problems as I'm sure many people would like to try this out. Good job.
Scott

Yea - I took the figures out to have them painted and I'm replacing the rubbers with Titan colored ones. The plasma balls aren't mounted in the picture above either - I was just placing them in their approximate spots to get an idea.

The plasma balls are on ebay here:

ebay.com link: itm

#9 8 years ago

Loris, a collector in Miami, did this to his MB back in November 2013. I've been after him since then to find the time to get this installed into my MB, but his business has kept him busy. Glad someone else is tackling this and I'd love to buy a kit!
-Brian

#10 8 years ago

1.75 is almost the size of the Tesseract cube on Avengers ....isnt that too large?

#11 8 years ago

Can you share a video of them in action?

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 40.00
Gameroom - Decorations
The Flipper Room

$ 1,059.00
Pinball Machine
Mircoplayfields

$ 1,059.00
Pinball Machine
Mircoplayfields

$ 18.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

Machine - For Sale
Brighton, CO
$ 29.00
Gameroom - Decorations
Pinball Photos LLC

Machine - For Sale
Bristow, VA
€ 99.00
Lighting - Under Cabinet
Watssapen shop

£ 55.00
Cabinet - Decals
Sillyoldelf Mods

$ 72.99
Lighting - Interactive
Lee's Parts

Eproms
Matt's Basement Arcade

Gameroom - Decorations
Pinball Photos LLC

$ 75.00
$ 5.00
Playfield - Decals
Pinball Fuzz

$ 299.99
Cabinet - Other
PinGraffix Pinside Shop

$ 79.99
Cabinet - Armor And Blades
PinGraffix Pinside Shop

$ 399.00
Cabinet - Decals
Mircoplayfields

Machine - For Sale
Livermore, CA
$ 9.99
Eproms
Matt's Basement Arcade

$ 45.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 12.95
Machine - For Sale
Lake Elsinore, CA
€ 99.00
Lighting - Under Cabinet
Watssapen shop

$ 30.00
Playfield - Other
YouBentMyWookie

Lighting - Led
Mitchell Lighting

$ 45.99
Lighting - Interactive
Lee's Parts

$ 89.99
Lighting - Led
Lighted Pinball Mods

Great pinball charity
Pinball Edu

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/mb-coolest-plasma-ball-mod-everalmost and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.